Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I play drk and I press the button that like makes a circle of darkness and the enemies all turn to hit me and I do it a few more times its cool its good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Chaeden posted:

No. Though I have been asked to go faster before and attempted to do so. There are really just an amazing number of assholes out there that even if you go 'Could you please not run ahead and start every fight? ' and immediately double down on being a rear end in a top hat. There are dick tanks out there too which is why despite wanting to level and enjoy monk I don't. I've had too many tanks who the moment they see a monk on their team start running circles around the enemies so I physically can't land any positionals. And at least one I said 'Could you please try to stay a bit more still I need to land positionals as monk.' and they started moving more and dragging the monsters around the area we were fighting. This was a early game dungeon there weren't even AOE's to dodge.

I approach people nicely at first, if they keep being a massive dick I'll return the favor to them. And boy do I find so many of the poo poo bags. I've already recounted my stories of healers who went into Phantom Train and DIDN'T play, just let the first AOE kill them and sat there until the raid was over to win a piece of loot. Or the time once again in phantom train where I had a honest healer who refused to cast anything but Medica 2 and healed less then my fairy......or the phantom train with a guy who was a gladiator and said he did it on purpose(had his job stone and several other jobs maxed. Chose to enter as gladiator. So its not even the guy who hates the jobs for....some reason.)

I thankfully get plenty of runs that are fine, but its like 1-3 times a week I get someone who just doesn't loving care or is actively trolling. There was a run where I was healing the burn and the tank asked the Samurai to stop running ahead to start fights. The Samurai's response was to only auto-attack for the rest of the dungeon which I only noticed by the time we got to mist dragon. I just assumed he was playing sub par before to be a dick but no, only auto-attacks. I was almost sad that me and the tank were good enough to clear without him and his buddy that kept actively standing in the aoe's.

FYI it is just a game and it is ok to not escalate a situation. Escalating is just making everything worse for everyone

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Peeling aggro off the tank as a BLM is actually the funniest thing on the planet and I delight in mage tanking. It is proof that you are mighty. Stand there and take your beating with a poo poo-eating grin, like a true hero.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Every time you peel aggro off a tank, a dps has their queue pop.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

If you really want to piss off a tank, take an Arcanist or a Summoner into Sastasha

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Cabbit posted:

Peeling aggro off the tank as a BLM is actually the funniest thing on the planet and I delight in mage tanking. It is proof that you are mighty. Stand there and take your beating with a poo poo-eating grin, like a true hero.

DPS should be trying to pull aggro. It means they're doing their job.

Best part of playing a tank, and a PLD in this game in particular, is watching everyone else eat poo poo to mechanics or whatever and soloing the rest of the fight.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Wacky Delly posted:

DPS should be trying to pull aggro. It means they're doing their job.

with diversion there is literally no excuse for a dps that isn't named bard to pull aggro in actual content, but in big pulls who gives a poo poo as long as they dont run away

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FFXIV just doesn't require you to babysit other players. As long as people have a rough idea of how things work in a dungeon and can stay out of the AOEs you're good. People need to chill.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking as a person who heals and tanks;

everyone is garbage at this game sometimes. I've personally had runs in dungeons that went off perfectly, as if the entire party was in perfect tune, and every oGCD and GCD I hit meshes into a grander whole right in between times where I am the single worst player walking, letting tanks die because I didn't look at the party list in a minute or two or just moving right into the death zone. I've personally witnessed the person I think has some of the deepest and widest knowledge of the game, both mechanically and lore wise, just run off a platform to their deaths. The true experience is being in a voice chat with seven other assholes who are supposedly competent at the game and listening to the utter breakdown chaos as we realize we're all just goddamn idiots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkmipUgMmjw&t=233s

The context for this is we'd been bashing our faces into Shiva Ex for about fifteen pulls by this point, and this was the best we had done all drat night.
Then Selena pipes up on comms "Hey what's this marker mean".
Then everyone screamed.
I still laugh about it when I see it happen, it's perfect.

The point is; you have been, at some point, that rear end in a top hat that made your dungeon run poo poo. Everyone has. Being mad about it instead of just shrugging and laughing is just going to give you ulcers. If they're being antagonistic assholes, just votekick. If it's an rear end in a top hat and his buddy so votekick fails, just leave.

I've vented about bad playing people, or someone being a jerk, before, but that was at the time. I've only ever had one toxic person in a party, maybe I'm lucky, but carrying bile for so long over such a little part of the player base isn't healthy.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
honestly my best tanking memories were with a BLM in DGKK who'd immediately double uhh... flare i think? at every pull in 2.x. really taught me how to manage aggro through everything.

since we're on tankchat, what's the deal with switching in and out of tank stance now? i was a bit iffy about that when HW came out and i stopped playing PLD because of it because the idea of knowing when to do it and when not too was pretty intimidating

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Point in fact; did Halatali normal for the first time in a long rear end time earlier.

Second boss; I sat in the water while it was purple like a loving idiot. We cleared without a real wipe (I overpulled once but the healer somehow??? managed to break aggro and wander off before rezing the dead three party members. I still gave the ninja the comm because he goaded me while I was AoE zerking) and it went pretty smooth. Don't be the guy still raging about the dumb maurauder who stood in the DoT water for an entire add phase.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Blast of Confetti posted:

honestly my best tanking memories were with a BLM in DGKK who'd immediately double uhh... flare i think? at every pull in 2.x. really taught me how to manage aggro through everything.

since we're on tankchat, what's the deal with switching in and out of tank stance now? i was a bit iffy about that when HW came out and i stopped playing PLD because of it because the idea of knowing when to do it and when not too was pretty intimidating

2.x had triple flare (flare -> convert -> flare -> ether -> flare) and was also before the AoE potency nerf. I don't think you'd be able to do it on every pull due to cooldowns, but I had a stack of ethers for flares. My goal back in 2.x was to always rip threat off the tank and show the glory of BLM tank. RIP Flare and Holy that didn't do reduced damage to extra targets.

WAR is really the only one of the tanks where switching in and out of tank stance isn't a huge pain, but for stuff like dungeons tank stance is for trash and like 1 combo on the boss and then off to dps stance and full steam ahead. Generally the less time you can spend in tank stance the better.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Trials/Raids: Start in tank stance, do two to three full aggro combo's, then switch to the DPS stance and go ham. You might need to use Flash/Overpower/Unleash at points if people are creeping up the aggro table.
Dungeons: Sit in tank stance for trash, then for bosses do the same as above.

I expect better people at the game to provide a better answer, but the above is what I do.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Laughing My rear end Off if you get mad at anyone for anything other than their lovely parse, which you can never mention to them for fear of permanent ban.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Once you have a large enough enmity lead, you want to drop tank stance because of the damage debuff.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Heaven on High floor 100 complete

now to do it 3 more times for the title

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

The above advice is what I do, but it's good to flex to the group when needed; e.g. kick it in tank stance if the healer's struggling. Also, if there's a jump before a big hit, going to tank stance for it then hopping back to DPS stance after is smart (if usually unnecessary).

This will probably hold true after the class revamp in ShB but it wouldn't hurt to be open to changes.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Captain Cappy posted:

Laughing My rear end Off if you get mad at anyone for anything other than their lovely parse, which you can never mention to them for fear of permanent ban.

This.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

Countblanc posted:

Congrats! I still need to do it twice more for the title.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

in my journey to collect A Lot of loving Dark Knight Swords, i finally completed a minor goal of mine -- getting all the drk swords for current content ex trials. largely acquired by actually tanking the boss in particular, though sometimes shooting them with a gun the rare times both tank slots in PF were taken.

here's a weird little effort post about what i think of each fight/weapon

shinryu

this was the first ex trial i tackled because i wanted his sword the most at the time for whatever reason. i don't even know why, its kind of ugly and impossible to glam around. this was the first expert current content i've ever done, so it was a learning experience. i ran the fight again for the first time in months the other day and i still think it rocks, though it may just be bias for it being the first hard content i sought out. there's lots of stuff going on in the fight but it feels good to do it all correctly.

seiryu

this marks the first ex trial i ran as it was new, like within the month of it coming out i think? so, while it's kind of an easy fight, i didn't have excessive ilvl to make it much different. this is the trial i've run the most, largely due to it being the most recent thing; easy to get high level weapons for other classes. it's a great fight, love it; fun music and fun mechanics. love the weapon; drk got kinda spoiled with seiryu's spine having a sick unsheathe anim

susano

didn't end up getting to susano until like last month sooooooooooo uhhhh it was a joke. real, real easy. total cakewalk. i still love the revengeance sword dueling, but got kinda tired of pubbies not knowing how to take the lightning away. the sword itself is fine but generally a bit too thin for my tastes, leaning towards the garuda's pain end of the spectrum. i bet the crafted version is going to turn out real good though.

tsukuyomi

L O V E this fight. the music rules the mechanics are fun, moonmom herself even has a GUN. gently caress yeah! pubbies are terrible about meteors though, which is the biggest holdback of the fight. would love to farm this fight for a dog sometime, just as an excuse to run this again. the sword is fantastic, though the frilly stuff at the hilt tends to clip into a lot of things

suzaku

i'll be honest i did not really like this fight the first couple times i ran it. but, of course, as usual, after running it a bunch of times and memorizing it, it's one of my favorites to play. DDR can get a bit weird and have you miss some balls you really should have gotten, and simon says can get really hairy depending on the mechanic its paired up with, but i had no qualms running this repeatedly. sword is neat, if a bit bland. looking forward to seeing what the crafted version will look like

byakko

the fight i put off for last and gently caress me i'd have loved to keep putting it off. total dogshit. hate that idiot. this fight sucks rear end as a tank and ESPECIALLY as dark knight when you have to try and time TBN for state of shock for no stack parties, and how plunge will just send you careening into ball hell. his stupid bullet shmup sections have the worst hitboxes on the planet and the depth perception on the skydiving bit is awful. i had to go through 10 painful runs of this dumbass to get my sword and i will probably never run this again. his sword doesn't even look good, it's fuckin terrible

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I had a couple of runs of Ala Mhigo that were feast and famine. The first one was the most baller tank, pulling wall to wall to wall, so I could quadflare double-foul on some of the pulls and it was THE BEST but then the next one I got Respectful McGee who even tanked the two roaders separately before picking up the guys who jump over the fence right before the first boss.

ALSO I ROLLED A loving 1 ON THE PREDATOR GOD drat :rant:

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Pubbie BLM in exdr who had a mentor crown and the "God of Magic" title on:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Genovera posted:

Yeah that all scans.

Archmage is the superior title anyway, in this and all other MMOs. :colbert:

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Talking about runs going sideways, I recently had a Alphascape V3.0 run where even the winning run felt like we just barely scratched by. It had everything, at least one almost wipe with only me as a healer and two tanks left standing (thank god for healer limit break :v:), one "unplanned tankswap" as one died and the other had to pull aggro while one of the DPS I was in voicechat with started yelling about a big death robot walking up, using Divine Benison just in time not just once but twice to let a tank survive a tankbuster with 4 digit health remaining, and close to the end another almost wipe but with only the other healer and the tanks, where somehow without limit break they managed to get the entire group back up.

That run felt like we were just one more disaster away from a wipe and somehow survived it and it maybe was one of the most enjoyable moments in recent memory I had of this game. Obviously not everything should be like that but occasionally you just need that run where somehow everything is going wrong yet somehow also just right enough to pull a victory out of the jaws of defeat.

Also re: tank primadonnaing: It is my lifelong dream to one day steal away tank aggro as a healer, not by overhealing but just by the power of tossing Stones alone

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

pfft, after years of playing tank then switching to healer i know who's really keeping everything moving smoothly. and most of them hate everyone silently instead of putting on a fireworks show when things dont go their way

They move past it and heal?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Genovera posted:

it's not up for discussion

*immediately discusses it*

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

So this guy read some sort of guide that said "here are some edge cases in which B4 is suboptimal" and then decided that it should never be cast.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

If you can kill an enemy fast enough, then sure. You just want to Swiftcast, Fire 3, Enochian, then spam Fire 4. But on basically anything that won't die to those Fire 4s or if you're going to fight more than one thing, you're just losing DPS.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also losing B4 means you lose Advanced Umbral Heart and its massive AOE damage boost.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

Cabbit posted:

Archmage is the superior title anyway, in this and all other MMOs. :colbert:

I am rather fond of "Goddess of War" :black101:

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also losing B4 means you lose Advanced Umbral Heart and its massive AOE damage boost.

That's what made me start looking for it. He was just doing a single flare per cycle. Why even bother with BLM if you aren't slamming flare as hard as you can?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

rhoga posted:

That's what made me start looking for it. He was just doing a single flare per cycle. Why even bother with BLM if you aren't slamming flare as hard as you can?
Maybe he's making some sort of weird stupid point.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Halatali Normal is the worst dungeon. The bosses are all so drawn out. Worse, they're not even fun. If it weren't for Halatali Hard being so good, I'd recommend people stay away.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

The Grimace posted:

Halatali Normal is the worst dungeon. The bosses are all so drawn out. Worse, they're not even fun. If it weren't for Halatali Hard being so good, I'd recommend people stay away.

It's even worse when people bother doing the mechanics on the first and last bosses instead of just focusing the boss. The healer has to cast one Medica and we're full health, don't worry about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Grimace posted:

I think Copperhell is worse for drawn-out bosses.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Countblanc posted:

Congrats

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

The Grimace posted:

:wrong:

totorak is 10x the nightmare of halitali

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Totorak sucks because it's one long boring corridor, the first two bosses are basically the same, people frequently forget to pick up those motes so you have to clear more of the boring-rear end dungeon, and the last third of the way is covered in goop that slows you down. You can technically "speedrun" it though, and it's level 24 so you have like one active button more.

Copperbell and Halatali are awful because both have two bosses each which you can't really kill faster due to mechanics. So they're boring and slow at the same time.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

ImpAtom posted:

I think Copperhell is worse for drawn-out bosses.

The first and second bosses do suck, but the Hecatoncheir can atleast be cheesed really easy now so I don't mind that one as much.

Phone posted:

:wrong:

totorak is 10x the nightmare of halitali

Dungeon layout-wise... Yeah, maybe. Collecting the magitek cells sucks if you manage to miss even one and end up having to backtrack, which can happen. A point in Totorak's favor is that the first and second bosses may be easy but they're quick, and I like the diremite final boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
All this talk about people stealing aggro has taught me that most BRDs apparently don't know Tactician exists, let alone that it is basically not used for anything but dropping enmity these days. I feel like I'm ahead of the curve now!