Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Waffleman_ posted:

Also unrelated to anything, I want to see Kay in AA7.

E: Kay is the prosecutor, having been inspired by Edgeworth, but also she's still like a Great Thief.

tbh a spinoff game where you play Kay as a Robin Hood of Evidence would be rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Also unrelated to anything, I want to see Kay in AA7.

E: Kay is the prosecutor, having been inspired by Edgeworth, but also she's still like a Great Thief.

Following in her father's footsteps as well I am very in favor of this idea

So theyll never do it

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I kinda can see Kay as the new Gumshoe with Gumshoe now promoted to Chief of Police.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Did Gumshoe ever show up again in the new trilogy? I'm not done with AA6 obviously but I can't remember him in 5, and he only showed up in flashback in 4...

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Merilan posted:

Did Gumshoe ever show up again in the new trilogy? I'm not done with AA6 obviously but I can't remember him in 5, and he only showed up in flashback in 4...

He hasn't shown up since AA4's flashback, no.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Gumshoe evaporated into the aether after Phoenix got disbarred. He hasn't been so much as mentioned since.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gumshoe went back to his home planet.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

He finally starved.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kay is kind of in the same boat as Maya and Pearl, where their sidekick role has largely been supplanted by having lawyer teams, so they're more in a cameo/probably being accused of murder role now.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kay also was born in a spin-off so I sadly doubt she'll ever see the light of day again.

Still my wishlist for AA7 goes Gumshoe, Franziska, Kay in that order.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

i'm just glad that i'll be seeing maya again in 6 because edgeworth and maya not being in aa4 was my biggest bugbear

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
ace attorney 8 where you play as pearl, who went into law because she wanted to restore nick's honor after he was disbarred

well she doesn't keep up with the news

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Returning supporting cast members should have new developments so that they can play a different role when they appear.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

actually on that note in SoJ where I am so far it's really endearing to me to see Trucy moving on with her life and getting on the stage and getting a gig from where she was in the Wonder Bar in 4, even if it winds up being the subject of a case

i think that's part of what made aa4 so somber to me, between the music and the mood and that edgeworth and maya are gone made it feel like phoenix just got thrown in the gutter and the most important people in his life disappeared on him

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Regy Rusty posted:

Gumshoe evaporated into the aether after Phoenix got disbarred. He hasn't been so much as mentioned since.

Not quite. Edgeworth mentions in SoJ that the mysterious person who leaked his travel plans has a salary review coming up soon

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RandomFerret posted:

Not quite. Edgeworth mentions in SoJ that the mysterious person who leaked his travel plans has a salary review coming up soon

he means mike meekins

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

It's not necessarily executed well, but it's not like Godot's flaws go unexamined. Yes, he's arrogant and misogynistic, which is why he hatches a crackpot plan that's all about himself, risks Elise's life and is (iirc) kept secret from Maya, and in the end that's his downfall and he calls himself out on it.
Even in Godot's calling himself out he remains sexist, which I will never be sure of if that was the intended effect or not. Namely: He recounts his stupid plan at the end of the case, and then he goes "and you know who I actually should've told of this plan if I really wanted to keep Maya safe? That's right, it's... Phoenix." He goes for the most prominent man involved with Maya instead of the girl herself! Of course she couldn't have taken care of herself, it's a man's job to take care of women. It's certainly consistent with his character, but nobody in the game reacts to this at all, and I really think they should have.

What an rear end.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I mean Maya is a 19 year old child at that point, isn't she? Going to the closest thing she has to a legal guardian would absolutely be the responsible thing to do.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Was she already in a comatose state in the cave at that point? I can't remember how early Godot sets his plan into motion.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Was she already in a comatose state in the cave at that point? I can't remember how early Godot sets his plan into motion.

Months beforehand. Pearl is told by her mother to read a letter hidden in her house, but when she finds it the seal is already broken because Godot eavesdropped on every conversation in the detention centre (because he suspected she might try something like this), got to the house first and read the letter. She comments to Phoenix that it was weird but didn't think about it beyond that. Misty Fey is only at the temple because Godot needed another spirit medium to pre-channel Hawthorne as a back-up if he can't stop Pearl, hence why he noted that his own gently caress-up killed Mia and Maya's mother.

busysignal
Nov 28, 2013

Merilan posted:

actually on that note in SoJ where I am so far it's really endearing to me to see Trucy moving on with her life and getting on the stage and getting a gig from where she was in the Wonder Bar in 4, even if it winds up being the subject of a case

i think that's part of what made aa4 so somber to me, between the music and the mood and that edgeworth and maya are gone made it feel like phoenix just got thrown in the gutter and the most important people in his life disappeared on him

That's probably why I liked PL v AA so much. It teams back up Nick and Maya, doesn't bother to mention anything about timeline and they keep their banter and adventures going, no problem. I like to think that's really what happened after 3, Nick's notoriety allows his to jet around the world and be a lawyer and Maya follows along to find out how other places do burgers,etc.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

My biggest problem with SoJ so far has been how much of a complete arsehole Sahdmadhi is despite by case 4 having lost every case he's fought. Previous prosecutors at least have reasons being being belligerent (like Blackquill) or self-assured (like Gavin) but Sahdmadhi talks down to people constantly despite being a failure who keeps falsely accusing innocent people while claiming to be a faithful monk who cares about justice for the victim.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
That's literally every prosecutor in the series, though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah they have to be self confident or mean or ideally both so you want to knock their teeth in instead feeling bad for them as you crush them in every case.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I mean yeah I expect some confidence but he's just sanctimonious and outright misogynistic even in case four where he just finished getting his arse handed to him by Wright in 3 in what should have been a career-breaking humiliation.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RandomFerret posted:

What?? When?? I don't remember this at all I would've thought I'd have caught that.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

How do we find out that Gumshoe became chief of police? Is that an AAI bit?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
We don't. It'd just be amusing for the character.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

How do we find out that Gumshoe became chief of police? Is that an AAI bit?

That's a fan wish, not a thing that actually happened

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Aw drat, I was wholly of the impression it was true.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Regy Rusty posted:

What?? When?? I don't remember this at all I would've thought I'd have caught that.

Early in the last case, right after they all arrive in khura'in. It's just a single throwaway line, I only remember because I played it a couple of weeks ago.

This thread also got me to pick up the ace attorney trilogy on switch, and I sped through the first four cases yesterday afternoon.

That's still the best game in the series, for sure. Everybody has such a satisfying character arc, especially Edgeworth. It really underlined just how annoying Sahdmadhi is. He never grows, never changes, he's just the same exact smug rear end in a top hat right up until he suddenly isn't

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

RandomFerret posted:

That's still the best game in the series, for sure. Everybody has such a satisfying character arc, especially Edgeworth. It really underlined just how annoying Sahdmadhi is. He never grows, never changes, he's just the same exact smug rear end in a top hat right up until he suddenly isn't

Well now I'm excited for chapter 5, which I had penned in for tonight.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

God dammit I spoiled the trilogy in the switch thread, spoiled SoJ in this thread, can a mod just probe me already so I shut the gently caress up for once

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I mean one would hope Sahdmadhi shuts the gently caress up eventually so don't worry too much about it, it's not like you spoiled the substance of it, unlike that loving Ace Attorney wiki where I THOUGHT that having completed 1-5 and being on the last case of 6 I would be safe to look up Mia Fey's profile to see what play on words her name has in the original Japanese, only for it to say "Fun fact: Mia is one of only two victims to appear alive in a case before the one in which they're murdered. The other is " and I howled into the void at how they could gently caress with me like that. That loving Wiki is like a hall of mirrors with how the most innocuous article contains spoilers.

Also its bullshit hypotheses on what the localisations Actually Mean.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Bongo Bill posted:

He finally starved.
Those aren't snackaroos.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's Snackoos, Polkhunan. :argh:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Tesseraction posted:

It's Snackoos, Polkhunan. :argh:
The point stands that Ema killed Gumshoe and is eating him as a snack.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

It's optional dialogue when presenting irrelevant evidence to Edgeworth. They reference the investigations games briefly and Edgeworth wonders who on earth it might have been who told Nick about what happened during those

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Right, that was it. I guess the only way to see it is to present every piece of evidence to every NPC regardless of relevance

So I assume every single person playing saw it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

RandomFerret posted:

Right, that was it. I guess the only way to see it is to present every piece of evidence to every NPC regardless of relevance

So I assume every single person playing saw it

I sometimes do this on replays.
I need a new Ace Attorney (I say, having finished DGS 1 day ago).