Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

That's true for a number of Gundams, isn't it? Zeta, G, and 00 all do it.
I guess there's Destiny as well, though that refers to more than just the robot in that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Argas posted:

Otto is definitely one of my favorite Unicorn characters.

I do feel like the UC carrier captains generally get a pretty good shake. Bright, Synapse, and Otto are all pretty solid characters and generally "good" people.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
No lies, I felt pretty bad for Bright's future during.. that scene.. in Unicorn where you can just SEE where that rear end in a top hat's going to spitefully turn on him someday.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
My hot take is that I enjoyed ZZ but I don’t like how it would go, here’s a Neo Zeon battleship arriving at the federation headquarters for tense wartime negotiations AND NOW BACK TO ZANY DESERT ANTICS

The battle with the Psycho Gundam Mk II amid the wreckage of a freshly dropped colony was dope though.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Gearhead posted:

No lies, I felt pretty bad for Bright's future during.. that scene.. in Unicorn where you can just SEE where that rear end in a top hat's going to spitefully turn on him someday.

That dude is probably the one who writes up Hathaway's execution order.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gearhead posted:

Well, it might go different in the movies. Less bleak is possible when trying to get general audiences to buy tickets, and Gundam novels have generally been more downbeat.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, it might go different in the movies. Less bleak is possible when trying to get general audiences to buy tickets, and Gundam novels have generally been more downbeat.

the most brutal part of it is probably when he's in prison and about to be executed and quess's ghost shows up just to tell hathaway how much he sucks

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Would Bandai been so cruel as to have given us this beautiful moment of Bright in Unicorn only to have them kick the man in the testicles over and over and over again in Hathaway's Flash?

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
ZZ has an awful beginning and an okay last third but everything in the middle on earth is honestly some of my favorite gundam

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Yinlock posted:

the most brutal part of it is probably when he's in prison and about to be executed and quess's ghost shows up just to tell hathaway how much he sucks

Pretty bad when the queen of suck comes back to tell you that you are worse.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Warmachine posted:

By that point, he was a terrorist. Not essentially. Not basically. Just, flat out, a terrorist.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gearhead posted:

By that point, he was a terrorist. Not essentially. Not basically. Just, flat out, a terrorist.

Yeah, I haven't read (any translation) it myself, but I've heard what the thread has said, and I... I just have a hard time seeing that fly with even the die-hards that go to Fathom events.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Warmachine posted:

I mean you can't say it's out of character for her

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

EthanSteele posted:

Did she use all of the funnels at once? Because that's a way she could have used them more or used more of them.

Yes. Literally the first thing she does when the duel begins is shoot more guns than the Qubeley should have at the ZZ, and every time she deploys them thereafter, she deploys fewer and fewer. She does use them to set up traps that nearly kill Judau on two seperate occasions though, and which both look inescapable without either surprise in one case (he breaks the ZZ apart to escape incoming hits) and a newtype warning in the second from Puru II.

https://webmshare.com/KxYYq

The funnel thing isn't a major point though, and was really just me griping about portrayal/execution more than anything. The broader point, and one I was more interested in is the argument that Haman commit suicide because she was so upset by her own plan, and that Judau thought her plan the only viable method for achieving peace but was so disgusted with that fact he left the Earthsphere. Partially because Haman never seems overly concerned with peace, so much as Ereism and partially because Judau constantly refuted any kind of belief in Haman or her plan. Including in the final fight. It's a position that makes no sense given what's in the show.

Even in the final fight, minutes before she commits suicide she forcefully rejects any attempts by Judau to soften her position, stating that she refuses to let go of hate and then regretting that she couldn't wipe out all the Earthnoids. Judau also refuses to sympathize with her on multiple occasions, including in the last fight

https://webmshare.com/5d47v

and only three episodes earlier, when he tells her that her plan will have the same result as Glemy and only bathe the cosmos in blood

https://webmshare.com/Wx558

More generally though, Judau believes in people and their potential, including Haman; while Haman doesn't and that's reiterated throughout the show and is a prominent theme of their final confrontation. Even a few minutes after the scene above, Judau chooses to believe in Haman's honor, and give Mineva back to her on the promise that she would allow them to leave peacefully if they did and so that Haman wouldn't kill Mineva instead of letting Judau leave with her.

https://webmshare.com/1ZLL3

Which also acts as a better show of honor on Haman's end, and which may have been the kind of thing the final fight was trying to portray. Even in the finale though, Judau talks about how Haman could have used that honor to change the Earthsphere for the better. That constant belief in people, and even in Haman, who he recognizes is a terrible person at least superficially, does not in any way gel with the idea he thinks wiping out all the Earthnoids is the only way to achieve lasting peace.

https://webmshare.com/MxAAP

As to why Judau left the Earthsphere, it's pretty clear in the finale. Just after Haman has died, he flies back to the Nahel Argama in the ZZ's wreck, with a smile on his face when he sees it. Which then changes to disgust and anger the second he sees the AEUG and Federation fleet, because they only showed up after Haman has been defeated. Then he attacks the apparent commander of that fleet. That's the tragedy of ZZ's finale; Judau, a character who is presented as having almost unlimited faith in humanity is so disgusted by the actions of the Federation that he loses faith in them despite being able to find faith in someone as bad as Haman and leaves the entire Earthsphere rather than deal with them again. Not that he thinks Haman's plan is the only viable option for peace.

EthanSteele posted:

Based on apparently arguing that the opening of MSG with the colony drop surrounded by Zeon suits as the narrator talks about the devastating death toll of the OYW not communicating that the colony drop was devastating and that Zeon do terrible things I'm gonna agree with tsob being pretty media illiterate sometimes.

I neither argued that the colony drop wasn't devastating or that Zeon didn't do terrible things. What I said was (with some sniping for brevity)

tsob posted:

Zeon in general weren't actually portrayed as horrible fascists in 0079 though; just their leaders. [...] Most of the really horrific poo poo about Zeon was added after 0079, and is not actually part of the original show/movies. Which includes the colony drop; kinda. [...] In the original show, Zeon aren't even all that Nazi-esque and while Degwin talks about Hitler, he's specifically comparing Gihren (and maybe Kycilia) to Hitler; not Zeon as a whole.

My point wasn't that Zeon didn't do horrible things; it was that a lot of the detail about Zeon, including details about the full extent of the horrible poo poo they did and most of the details that make Zeon in general look like Nazis (rather than just Gihren) were added later, either by databooks, comics, novels or other sequel animations. More specifically I was thinking of things like

- the 3 second warning
- Zeon almost exclusively being responsible for wiping out 4 of the other 5 Sides
- G3 gas
- the Nazi styled flag

Of course Zeon were still the villains, and still did bad things. If all you wanted was some kind of implication Zeon were meant to be the bad guys, then the opening narration for the first dozen episodes includes a sequence where Musai's shoot and destroy a colony cylinder with beam fire and after which one of the Musai's has a grinning, evil face.

https://webmshare.com/aMRRO

It's also why I mentioned that the details of the colony drop were only "kinda" added after 0079 and that

tsob posted:

the implication is that multiple colonies hit, given the general state of the setting.

The show itself leaves the details of the colony drop rather sparse, but Tomino's setting notes indicate he originally planned to have Zeon drop dozens of colony cylinders (that's the inspiration for X if you think it sounds familiar), and that's why the Earth looks so barren in most places we see during 0079. That was changed by sequels though, and the detail was eventually settled on that just one successfully hit Earth and Zeon had only ever tried to launch two. If could have been kept as dozens though, and that would have made Zeon look even more evil and vile.

All that doesn't mean that Zeon personnel weren't humanized quite a bit throughout the show though, which was the other point I was making. Especially when it's implied on several occasions some of those soldiers are conscripts who don't actually want to be there.

Yinlock posted:

I think it's interesting to note that the only people who get happy endings in UC are the people that choose to stop fighting

see ZZ and 08th and also novel zeta where kamille just goes "gently caress this i'm out" and becomes a doctor and everything is fine

Sayla is probably the ultimate representation of that, because she stands in contrast to Char; who couldn't leave conflict behind, and kept finding new causes to fight for.

DamnGlitch posted:

I enjoyed ZZ overall. It felt more fleshed out in some ways than Z because there was a greater range of like, normal people and not Tomino psychos zipping around. The hardest stretch is the first part before they get to like moonmoon (I understand I am a deviant for enjoying moonmoon), then the desert arc sorta dragging on.

That's probably because Tomino wasn't all that involved with ZZ's production from reading around a bit. He apparently did give some notes, including the character of Puru for instance, but wasn't notably involved in episode to episode creative process.

Yinlock posted:

I mean you can't say it's out of character for her

I can, because Quess dies saving Hathaway's life by pushing him out of the way of a missile that Chan's Re-GZ had just launched. Her mocking Hathaway before he's executed by saying she doesn't love him makes sense in the original novels, because it's based on "Beltorchika's Children", where the person Hathaway kills by accident is Quess herself (he aims to hit near her so as to spook her, and ends up hitting her; a recurring issue in Tomino entries), but not in conjunction with Char's Counterattack. Changing it to Quess appearing to offer him comfort would actually offer some catharsis just before the character dies. They could also change it Chan appearing to rebuke him for being a shithead, which I'm sure would please a lot of people.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 15, 2019

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

tsob posted:

Yes. Literally the first thing she does when the duel begins is shoot more guns than the Qubeley should have at the ZZ, and every time she deploys them thereafter, she deploys fewer and fewer. She does use them to set up traps that nearly kill Judau on two seperate occasions though, and which both look inescapable without either surprise in one case (he breaks the ZZ apart to escape incoming hits) and a newtype warning in the second from Puru II.

https://webmshare.com/KxYYq

The funnel thing isn't a major point though, and was really just me griping about portrayal/execution more than anything. The broader point, and one I was more interested in is the argument that Haman commit suicide because she was so upset by her own plan, and that Judau thought her plan the only viable method for achieving peace but was so disgusted with that fact he left the Earthsphere. Partially because Haman never seems overly concerned with peace, so much as Ereism and partially because Judau constantly refuted any kind of belief in Haman or her plan. Including in the final fight. It's a position that makes no sense given what's in the show.

Even in the final fight, minutes before she commits suicide she forcefully rejects any attempts by Judau to soften her position, stating that she refuses to let go of hate and then regretting that she couldn't wipe out all the Earthnoids. Judau also refuses to sympathize with her on multiple occasions, including in the last fight

https://webmshare.com/5d47v

and only three episodes earlier, when he tells her that her plan will have the same result as Glemy and only bathe the cosmos in blood

https://webmshare.com/Wx558

More generally though, Judau believes in people and their potential, including Haman; while Haman doesn't and that's reiterated throughout the show and is a prominent theme of their final confrontation. Even a few minutes after the scene above, Judau chooses to believe in Haman's honor, and give Mineva back to her on the promise that she would allow them to leave peacefully if they did and so that Haman wouldn't kill Mineva instead of letting Judau leave with her.

https://webmshare.com/1ZLL3

Which also acts as a better show of honor on Haman's end, and which may have been the kind of thing the final fight was trying to portray. Even in the finale though, Judau talks about how Haman could have used that honor to change the Earthsphere for the better. That constant belief in people, and even in Haman, who he recognizes is a terrible person at least superficially, does not in any way gel with the idea he thinks wiping out all the Earthnoids is the only way to achieve lasting peace.

https://webmshare.com/MxAAP

As to why Judau left the Earthsphere, it's pretty clear in the finale. Just after Haman has died, he flies back to the Nahel Argama in the ZZ's wreck, with a smile on his face when he sees it. Which then changes to disgust and anger the second he sees the AEUG and Federation fleet for only showing up after Haman has been defeated. Then he attacks the apparent commander of that fleet. That's why he's angry, and that's why he leaves the Earthsphere and the Federation.

I neither argued that the colony drop wasn't devastating or that Zeon didn't do terrible things. What I said was (with some sniping for brevity)

My point wasn't that Zeon didn't do horrible things; it was that a lot of the detail about Zeon, including details about the full extent of the horrible poo poo they did and most of the details that make Zeon in general look like Nazis (rather than just Gihren) were added later, either by databooks, comics, novels or other sequel animations. More specifically I was thinking of things like

- the 3 second warning
- Zeon almost exclusively being responsible for wiping out 4 of the other 5 Sides
- G3 gas
- the Nazi styled flag

Of course Zeon were still the villains, and still did bad things. If all you wanted was some kind of implication Zeon were meant to be the bad guys, then the opening narration for the first dozen episodes includes a sequence where Musai's shoot and destroy a colony cylinder with beam fire and after which one of the Musai's has a grinning, evil face.

https://webmshare.com/aMRRO

It's also why I mentioned that the details of the colony drop were only "kinda" added after 0079 and that

The show itself leaves the details of the colony drop rather sparse, but Tomino's setting notes indicate he originally planned to have Zeon drop dozens of colony cylinders (that's the inspiration for X if you think it sounds familiar), and that's why the Earth looks so barren in most places we see during 0079. That was changed by sequels though, and the detail was eventually settled on that just one successfully hit Earth and Zeon had only ever tried to launch two. If could have been kept as dozens though, and that would have made Zeon look even more evil and vile.

All that doesn't mean that Zeon personnel weren't humanized quite a bit throughout the show though, which was the other point I was making. Especially when it's implied on several occasions some of those soldiers are conscripts who don't actually want to be there.

Sayla is probably the ultimate representation of that, because she stands in contrast to Char; who couldn't leave conflict behind, and kept finding new causes to fight for.

That's probably because Tomino wasn't all that involved with ZZ's production from reading around a bit. He apparently did give some notes, including the character of Puru for instance, but wasn't notably involved in episode to episode creative process.

I can, because Quess dies saving Hathaway's life by pushing him out of the way of a missile that Chan's Re-GZ had just launched. Her mocking Hathaway before he's executed by saying she doesn't love him makes sense in the original novels, because it's based on "Beltorchika's Children", where the person Hathaway kills by accident is Quess herself (he aims to hit near her so as to spook her, and ends up hitting her; a recurring issue in Tomino entries), but not in conjunction with Char's Counterattack. Changing it to Quess appearing to offer him comfort would actually offer some catharsis just before the character dies. They could also change it Chan appearing to rebuke him for being a shithead, which I'm sure would please a lot of people.

haha cool

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

say it don't spray it

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Warmachine posted:

This was my favorite part when I first read about Hathaway's Flash

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Never got into Gundam except G Gundam as a kid, but my podcast recently covered 0083 and 0080 and now I'm all about it. On ep 11 of the original series and bought my first Gunpla today. All in.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Unmature posted:

Never got into Gundam except G Gundam as a kid, but my podcast recently covered 0083 and 0080 and now I'm all about it. On ep 11 of the original series and bought my first Gunpla today. All in.

Welcome and come on over to the gunpla thread!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One of us, one of us

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

One of us, one of us

We have so many sights to show you.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Unmature posted:

welcome to the thread for people who made bad decisions about consuming media, you're among friends here

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So has anyone watched the new SEED dub? It's out right?

For an unrelated matter I was looking at Stephanie Sheh's wiki page and saw she's the new Lacus. Can't say I'm surprised: she is Hinata, Orihime and that chick from Haruhi.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

So G Unit is coming back.

https://twitter.com/kouichi_tokita/status/1132139417311694848?s=19

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yo fiddy jump over that bigass ramp

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

That means more cool Leo variants!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Gripweed posted:

That means more cool Leo variants!

Hell yeah

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
What's the occasion for a new dub? A quirk of distribution rights & royalties?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

HitTheTargets posted:

I think that was exactly it, yeah. I asked about it forever ago when I first heard it was happening and the response was something like that.

SEED had one of the best dubs in the series, I didn't get why they would redo it. But they had to for whatever reason.

I miss the old Ocean dubs. You don't hear Canadian VAs do anime enough anymore.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The dub cast for HD is incredible so I'm actually interested in watching it when it comes out.

I don't think they can top original Rau but casting Griffith for him is a drat good start.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

This is your daily reminder that the Tallgeese is just a Leo with a fancy hat on.

Speaking of which, hell yeah more Leos! And I can't wait for the new Gundam which will probably turn into some form of Acguy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HitTheTargets posted:

It's a dub of SEED HD, which had new scenes/content/some changed dialogue. They literally couldn't use the old dub. (Or I guess they could if they were willing to splice poo poo together and could also get all the old actors back.)

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Welp gonna need to track down G-Unit since I can't remember it aside from the main villian's sick mobile suit. Probably should refesh anyway since it's included in the new G-Generations game.

I got hella busy so I haven't picked Victory back up after I finished episode 15 or 16, so I'll probably use my 3 day weekend to watch more.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Zerachiel's manual mentions that how long it takes for an MS to transform in GBN is based off the show the MS is from. Players can make the transformation longer if they want it to be flashier, but the only way to make it shorter is to hack the game with a Break Decal, which lets you skip the transformation sequence entirely and transform instantly.

If the problem with the Mass Divers had been stuff like that, I would've found the conflict in Build Divers a lot more compelling.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

old news to everyone but me: wow new gundam breaker is super bad. I figured it was 3 again and that game was fun despite people calling it bad(because it kinda is) but they seem to have redesigned everything to be as bad as possible.

Omnicrom posted:

This is your daily reminder that the Tallgeese is just a Leo with a fancy hat on.

Speaking of which, hell yeah more Leos! And I can't wait for the new Gundam which will probably turn into some form of Acguy.

the tallgeese can fight gundams without instantly exploding, therefore it's not a leo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It is a spectacularly unfun game.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly I don't really see how Gundam Breaker 3 is bad at all, it has a couple rough bits and pieces but nothing deal breaking in my opinion

Also I know I keep asking this, but is anyone else playing Battle Operation 2 or am I literally the only Goon playing it?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I don't really see how Gundam Breaker 3 is bad at all, it has a couple rough bits and pieces but nothing deal breaking in my opinion

Also I know I keep asking this, but is anyone else playing Battle Operation 2 or am I literally the only Goon playing it?

eh it's pretty repetitive, and the story is bad if you don't love Dumb poo poo like me

having the fate of the entire planet hinge on a plastic model match against an entire satellite was loving rad imo

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

drrockso20 posted:

Gundam Breaker 3 is fine, New Gundam Breaker is Bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Gundam Breaker 3 is fine, New Gundam Breaker is Bad

This.