Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Probably taking the bait but where is that quote from?

Please don't make me concerned about Doom 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
They've said the BFG would be a pre order bonus since it was announced, don't get why anyone is surprised. Doom eternal is prime for the games as a service model.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Deakul posted:

Probably taking the bait but where is that quote from?

Please don't make me concerned about Doom 5.

Sigh

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Cream of Plenty loving rules

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

You've outdone yourself.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

:golfclap:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Donovan Trip posted:

They've said the BFG would be a pre order bonus since it was announced, don't get why anyone is surprised. Doom eternal is prime for the games as a service model.

You’ve not understood this at all.

Tho to be fair the text he wrote is so loving believable. Because that’s exactly how the BFG operates in Rage. The game totally is not balanced for it and it is a big “win fight” button.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

AirRaid posted:

Tho to be fair the text he wrote is so loving believable. Because that’s exactly how the BFG operates in Rage. The game totally is not balanced for it and it is a big “win fight” button.

That's how I used the BFG in Doom 2016. If I felt like I wanted to just end a fight and move on to the next area for whatever reason I would pull out the BFG.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Deakul posted:

Probably taking the bait

you devoured it ravenously

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Kramjacks posted:

That's how I used the BFG in Doom 2016. If I felt like I wanted to just end a fight and move on to the next area for whatever reason I would pull out the BFG.

for this reason, i never used the BFG

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

AirRaid posted:

Doom in a games as a service model. I'm clearly 100% serious

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Donovan Trip posted:

Doom in a games as a service model. I'm clearly 100% serious

Buy a Doomslayer Token, play a Top 10 Community Snapmap.
Buy a Doomslayer Token, fire the BFG-9000.
Buy a Doomslayer Token, listen to a Director’s Commentary clip.
Buy a Doomslayer Token, look at an imp.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

you devoured it ravenously

i ripped and i teared it and sucked up every last slimy drop
i'm a whore

i'm sorry everyone

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Buy a Doomslayer Token, play a Top 10 Community Snapmap.
Buy a Doomslayer Token, fire the BFG-9000.
Buy a Doomslayer Token, listen to a Director’s Commentary clip.
Buy a Doomslayer Token, look at an imp.

You're so exaggerating. You can earn 5 slayer tokens for reading an article about the candy crush easter egg in the doom game and do all those things plus have a token left over that you can use to put flames or racing stripe decal on your doomguy armor.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

treat posted:

You're so exaggerating. You can earn 5 slayer tokens for reading an article about the candy crush easter egg in the doom game and do all those things plus have a token left over that you can use to put flames or racing stripe decal on your doomguy armor.

Give me a gulf livery for doomguy and I'm all in.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Todd Howard's head flies around and says cryptic stuff in Doom Eternal, a little nod to Beth from the id crew. And Todd nods right back, like a noble samurai. Allegedly. - Gamepuck.gov

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'd glory kill that flying head in Doom Eternal.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Heavy Metal posted:

Todd Howard's head flies around and says cryptic stuff in Doom Eternal, a little nod to Beth from the id crew. And Todd nods right back, like a noble samurai. Allegedly. - Gamepuck.gov

Let's have Cream-of-Plenty source this quote please.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
New Doom eternal screenshot leak

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Donovan Trip posted:

New Doom eternal screenshot leak

Day one purchase.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
FINALLY. We've all been waiting for a FPS to bring back the limb-targeting from Chasm: The Rift :woop:

Actually the best limb destruction I ever saw was in the proto-Dark Souls game Shadow Tower: Abyss. I cut off both the arms of a troll then just stood there thinking 'heh now what are you going to do loser, kick me?'. That's exactly what he did. FROMSoftware :allears:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I hope that the team making Doom:Eternal realize from Doom 2016 that they should 100% devote their resources to singleplayer.

I think i played maybe one deathmatch game, and that was it.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
We'll probably know soon but they seem to be all about integrating MP components into SP in a soulsborne way. The biggest problem with doom 2016 MP was it was clearly outsourced and not of ID quality. The team who made the MP became Bethesda Austin and recently launched Fallout 76 so lol

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Donovan Trip posted:

We'll probably know soon but they seem to be all about integrating MP components into SP in a soulsborne way. The biggest problem with doom 2016 MP was it was clearly outsourced and not of ID quality. The team who made the MP became Bethesda Austin and recently launched Fallout 76 so lol

This isn't true. Doom MP was developed by Certain Affinity. BGS Austin was previously Battlecry Studios.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm all kinds of wrong lately

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Doom Eternal's multiplayer is being developed by From iirc

There are also rumors of a Doom Royale mode being worked on in conjunction with Epic

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Doom Eternal's multiplayer is being developed by From iirc

There are also rumors of a Doom Royale mode being worked on in conjunction with Epic

Imagine a From game, where you play an imp, and the Doomslayer is every boss. And there is no way to win, and "You died" is basically burned into the background layer of the game constantly, like it was constantly played on an old Plasma TV with burn-in.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

tuo posted:

Imagine a From game, where you play an imp, and the Doomslayer is every boss. And there is no way to win, and "You died" is basically burned into the background layer of the game constantly, like it was constantly played on an old Plasma TV with burn-in.

So, a From game then

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Donovan Trip posted:

So, a From game then

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
An imp in player hands would be stronger than you might think

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Missed opportunity for "Gut Gud" there.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Doom gooder

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I'd be OK with hearing 20 variations of a creepy laugh done in the voice of the DoomSlayer narrator.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ripping and tearing before work, and I never realized how well Savagery, Seek and Destroy, and Blood Fueled combo together with a Berserker powerup until just now. It’s...beautiful :swoon:

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Icon Of Sin posted:

Ripping and tearing before work, and I never realized how well Savagery, Seek and Destroy, and Blood Fueled combo together with a Berserker powerup until just now. It’s...beautiful :swoon:

So well that I always pause right before grabbing the berserk powerup and toggle those on, if they are all upgraded it gets to be pretty ridiculous.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Indiana_Krom posted:

So well that I always pause right before grabbing the berserk powerup and toggle those on, if they are all upgraded it gets to be pretty ridiculous.

It's kind of annoying that for pure power fantasy you want some perks running, and you want to be able to swap them out at will, but the interface for it sucks. Something like "rich get richer" does nothing if you don't actually meet the requirement so you might as well swap it out then swap it back again when you do, which is really clunky.

Or just not play "optimally" and have fun, but it's still a minor little irritation.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The lite-RPG elements and collectibles (argent caches, praetor tokens, rune challenges) just get in the way of replays and I wouldn't mind if they were removed in Eternal, though at the same time they're an easy way to pad game time so I'm expecting it to be even worse.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Icon Of Sin posted:

Oh yea, that is some top-notch doom right there.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

GUI posted:

The lite-RPG elements and collectibles (argent caches, praetor tokens, rune challenges) just get in the way of replays and I wouldn't mind if they were removed in Eternal, though at the same time they're an easy way to pad game time so I'm expecting it to be even worse.

They also provide a sense of "progression" without being grindy. I think they are a good balance between your character/equipment getting better as the game goes on as well as provide a reason to explore levels. As for replays, you keep all of your equipment, so I'm not sure what's "getting in the way."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Replays? More like Arcade Mode, my dudes