Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Never knew Elite Force could be played in Big Head mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Timby posted:

I'll bet money that was shot at a Los Angeles-area convention center.

You would win, it was shot at the Anaheim Convention Center

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

This is suppose to be a Starfleet Facility and possibly Starfleet Headquarters but this scene makes it look like Picard is at customer service trying to renew his Costco Card.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

My big problem with Melora is that the disability metaphor was extremely poor because Melora was a completely normal member of a low-gravity species.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Admiralty Flag posted:

Never knew Elite Force could be played in Big Head mode

I really wish this game was on Steam or Good Old Games.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Nessus posted:

My big problem with Melora is that the disability metaphor was extremely poor because Melora was a completely normal member of a low-gravity species.

... and we have seen other examples of workplace accommodation in TNG and they never made a big deal out of it or beat the audience over the head with it.

Geordi and his vision, the Benzite and their breathing apparatus, the mentioned-but-never-seen cetacean crew members and their SeaQuest dolphin tubes.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

I said come in! posted:

just play armada, its fun

its totally normal and fun

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nessus posted:

sector general did the low gravity alien thing a lot better. Prilicla is a gem.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes it’s called “Live Fast and Prosper”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkhcGGrxz3g

oh my god this trailer

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I said come in! posted:

All of the Activision ST games are in legal hell when it comes to who would be allowed to sell them, so the only way to get a copy is to pay out the rear end for a physical copy which is rare, or piracy

Orv
May 4, 2011

One day if I ever find myself with a few days of somehow enforced nothing to do, I'll make a UPN Voyager trailers supercut. It'll become the recommended way to watch Voyager.

E: The Salsa Bowl of Kahless will never not amuse me.

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 19, 2019

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Nessus posted:

I mean, Sci Fi explores marginalized identities by making them aliens all the time. The problem was that she was extremely unlikable.

Though that's its own problem too. While fiction (particularly genre fiction) has made the rear end in a top hat genius man you root for a thing to the point that ignorant people equate being an rear end in a top hat with being a genius, there are almost no examples of rear end in a top hat women in fiction you root for.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Echo Video posted:

hey ds9 doc watchers: how long is the after-credits producer documentary last, cause it’s pretty dry and I’m wondering if it’s worth staying

Well it's too late for the answer to be useful to you, but it felt like about 15 or 20 minutes when I watched

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

I mean, Sci Fi explores marginalized identities by making them aliens all the time. The problem was that she was extremely unlikable.

Though that's its own problem too. While fiction (particularly genre fiction) has made the rear end in a top hat genius man you root for a thing to the point that ignorant people equate being an rear end in a top hat with being a genius, there are almost no examples of rear end in a top hat women in fiction you root for.

Janeway in that one episode with the evil clown

Echo Video
Jan 17, 2004

Pakled posted:

Well it's too late for the answer to be useful to you, but it felt like about 15 or 20 minutes when I watched

Yeah 15 minutes sounds about right, it ended soon after I posted that but thank you for the followup!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

Re: Women, yeah, it's like how it's hard to think of positive fictional mothers who aren't dead OR completely non-factors. Like there's a wide range for dads, but not moms.

As for Melora: It was a poor representation of the marginalized identity because it came off like Bashir was trying to "cure" her of... being from a low-gravity world. The "cure" angle didn't work for me. There was nothing to "cure." It would have honestly worked better if she was a human with Crashlander syndrome and the story beat of "I can give you the ability to exist comfortably in normal gravity but it will make you unable to function in your home world's gravity" would have been clearer.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Nessus posted:

Re: Women, yeah, it's like how it's hard to think of positive fictional mothers who aren't dead OR completely non-factors. Like there's a wide range for dads, but not moms.

lwuxana :colbert:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Orv posted:

One day if I ever find myself with a few days of somehow enforced nothing to do, I'll make a UPN Voyager trailers supercut. It'll become the recommended way to watch Voyager.

E: The Salsa Bowl of Kahless will never not amuse me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dgAVR91zJE

"voyager, but horny"

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
If they're going to keep pumping out new Star Treks I want one focused on the Ferengi. Specifically following Morn giving motivational speeches to Ferengi entrepreneurs failing to adjust to the ramifications of Grand Nagus Rom's changes.

And The Muse is the worst DS9 episode, so bad it's the only DS9 episode I haven't finished and have no desire to do so. The Jake subplot makes my skin crawl.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

Roadie posted:

Janeway in that one episode with the evil clown

Janeway isn't an rear end in a top hat, though. She's pyschotic.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Mrenda posted:

If they're going to keep pumping out new Star Treks I want one focused on the Ferengi. Specifically following Morn giving motivational speeches to Ferengi entrepreneurs failing to adjust to the ramifications of Grand Nagus Rom's changes.

And The Muse is the worst DS9 episode, so bad it's the only DS9 episode I haven't finished and have no desire to do so. The Jake subplot makes my skin crawl.

people sure seem to have a problem with jake sisko getting raped :shrug:

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Mrenda posted:

For some reason I'm picturing that as a Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares type of set-up, with Morn visiting failing a Ferengi business each week and turning them around. Switch it to Quark as protagonist and I'd be on board.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Marina Sirtis displays real acting chops in the episodes where she, Data and O'Brien get possessed by ghosts, the episode where she joins Worf & Alexander in a western holodeck adventure, and of course the Romulan one. It's a waste that 90% of her episodes involved Troi getting mindraped.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

As well as the many other bad things about Melora, it was weird that gravity is suddenly a big problem now when every Star Trek ship ever from the biggest flagship to the smallest shuttle has flawless artificial gravity that never fails no matter how damaged the ship is.,

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Mrenda posted:

Cold open: Morn at a lectern, he looks up. Grabs his papers and organizes them as the crowd starts applauding wildly, then he turns and walks off the stage. That's his one scene in the episode as the other characters then discuss his speech.

Every episode begins this way.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Bucswabe posted:

I may have mis-remembered, and "cat people" might be more like "cave men", but this is the episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyKR1InxvYQ

Is the only prerequisite to being the narrator in US previews that you "had throat cancer"?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

marktheando posted:

As well as the many other bad things about Melora, it was weird that gravity is suddenly a big problem now when every Star Trek ship ever from the biggest flagship to the smallest shuttle has flawless artificial gravity that never fails no matter how damaged the ship is.,

Except in the KT movies

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bedshaped posted:

Is the only prerequisite to being the narrator in US previews that you "had throat cancer"?

Yes, and it turns out throat cancer is genetic.

(While it's probably not the extremely famous movie trailer guy doing that one [or maybe it is] now they're done by his son.)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

marktheando posted:

Wasn't her thing that she needed her chair because she was used to like moon gravity, and obviously they can't set the gravity for the entire station at moon levels for her benefit? Or was it like some kind of quasi-zero gravity, like in the Integral Trees?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Bedshaped posted:

Up until 2002 a major prerequisite was the ability to dramatically say "in a world...."

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Goddamn, TNG: Rascals is a weird one. I know it's just a late stage wacky idea script, but it still bugs me that the crew's first response to the captain having the body of a child with explicitly mentioned the same mental faculties as before, is "relieve him of duty" and "get used to staying this way, go back to school maybe?" Crusher's insistence that Picard must step down because, maybe, he'll soon start acting like a kid too, is bull. It might've helped if lil' Jean-Luc had shown behavior to lead her to that conclusion first.

I was morbidly amused by O'Brien saying "there's a decrease in mass, I may have lost one of them" while transporting them in, not expressing much emotion for the fact that the one might be his wife.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

davidspackage posted:

I was morbidly amused by O'Brien saying "there's a decrease in mass, I may have lost one of them" while transporting them in, not expressing much emotion for the fact that the one might be his wife.

An exultant yawp of joy and relief as your soul is released unexpectedly from crushing bondage would still be unprofessional.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

davidspackage posted:

Goddamn, TNG: Rascals is a weird one. I know it's just a late stage wacky idea script, but it still bugs me that the crew's first response to the captain having the body of a child with explicitly mentioned the same mental faculties as before, is "relieve him of duty" and "get used to staying this way, go back to school maybe?" Crusher's insistence that Picard must step down because, maybe, he'll soon start acting like a kid too, is bull. It might've helped if lil' Jean-Luc had shown behavior to lead her to that conclusion first.

As part of the "O'Brien must suffer" theme I like to imagine that every time he is alone with Keiko he suddenly sees her as a child, gets spooked out, and has to leave.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

davidspackage posted:

I am frustrated by the wasted potential of this episode, since it feels like it could have been a lot funnier. It's mildly funny, but you know if DS9 had done it, it would be off the chain. S1 of DS9 is practically all late-TNG ideas so it's a damned shame we never got O'Brien as the one kidded out this time, but on the station, and he's swearing and being all Irish but he looks 12

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
The Federation flagship unambiguously getting it's teeth kicked in by half a dozen idiot Ferengi in two dumpy Birds of Prey should be in the running for worst Worf pummeling in the entire series

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

This guy's facial expression and the weird, empty blandness behind him literally screams "I am in a Best Buy ad"

It's all I can see.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Seemlar posted:

The Federation flagship unambiguously getting it's teeth kicked in by half a dozen idiot Ferengi in two dumpy Birds of Prey should be in the running for worst Worf pummeling in the entire series

Yeah, seems like years after, you'd still be able to shut Worf down by saying "remember that time Ferengi beamed onto the bridge and you missed your shot and then just lay on the floor for the rest of the day"

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Yeah, that is the exact incident Odo mentions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzhgEGeKcbo

Orv
May 4, 2011
That grin is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I love that he's got that particular PADD just lying around for this such occasion.