Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

If I will be playing the Yakuza games through Steam, which one should I start with?

Yeah, go with 0. It's a prequel, but they set it up to be the new first game so you don't need to know anything. In fact, the remake of 1, called Kiwami 1, really expects that you've played 0 with a bunch of stuff they added and callbacks to 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
It makes me sad that there will never be a combat mechanic as satisfying as punching the money out of people :(

Xanadu Next: I just began this and went into the first Dungeon, as recommended by a friendly shopkeeper. This is a Zelda-like where you use keys to open various doors in the ruins but turns out there aren't enough keys in them. Going back, the merchant says you can buy keys from him and even says he specifically sent you there because he knew you'd make him rich. I can see this being a pain in the rear end in the future but it's such a unusual thing to put in a game that I loved it.

Also, they are skeleton keys, as in that he actually carves them from monster bones you bring back to him.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
In Mordhau you can take the pommel off your sword and throw it at someone. There’s even an achievement for killing someone with it named ‘Ended Rightly’.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
ah, the Flying Mordhau

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Samuringa posted:

It makes me sad that there will never be a combat mechanic as satisfying as punching the money out of people :(

Xanadu Next

Somewhere early on in the first real area of the game there's an adventurer who'll offer to sell you a bone-carving knife tool. GET IT. It'll let you make your own keys so you don't need to buy them from the shopkeep. She moves on and stops offering it after very few plot progression points so it's best to get it ASAP.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm not even sure if the core of what I noticed about this and made me think of it was intentional. But even if it isn't, I think it counts, and even if it doesn't count, other parts of it totally do.

A good amount of the actual warframes that you get in Warframe are canonical figures in the universe's history; suits that were actually used in the lore, and have some story to them. Some of those are fairly directly told to you in the quests you get them in (one was used by a brilliant but foolhardy scientist, one was praised as a Mars tribe's guardian spirit, one composed an ancient war anthem, etc), but a couple of others are rather more subtle. One neat subtle one is Valkyr, a more recently active one that was captured and experimented on by one of the enemy groups. It's never directly stated, but one of her optional skins hints at what exactly they did to her: the skin is stated to be Valkyr from before the experiments, that happens to be the exact same color as the boss you get her parts from. That boss is a machine made of salvage warframe parts; it's literally wearing her skin.

But my personal favorite both to play and in story is Gara, who I've mentioned in this thread before. Canonically she's actually one of the oldest, being one of only a couple of warframes that were around to fight in the Sentient War, one of the game's big backstory events. In fact, her part in the war is quietly present in one of the game's early zones: there's geography named after her, a lake where some of the bigger Sentient remains still are.

What actually made me make this post, though: it turns out Gara's backstory might have been built into her. When you actually get to fight the Sentients in the later story quests they all drop a full energy refill on death, a generosity that for most warframes just means they don't have to worry about holding back against what are really hard enemies. But Gara happens to be able to use that to turn up her damage aura from doing a few hundred damage per tick to 'theoretically infinite'. I managed to get it up to about 50k before running out of enemies. No wonder she could hold back the Sentients, the moment that a second one dies near her she just turns into a meat grinder until there's nothing left to kill.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 15:24 on May 15, 2019

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A very nice thing in Legends of Troy now I've beaten the boss I complained about in the other thread - it seems the checkpoints are permanent, they stick around even after you turn off the game, so loading the level loads the last place you stopped playing it rather than making you play the entire level again.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Legends of Troy's second supernatural boss has a pretty cool second form. Basically Poseidon sicks a Cyclops on Hektor, not the named one that Odysseus blinded but a different one, because while some of the other gods are favouring Troy to spite Agamemnon he's not one of them. The qte for the first phase blinds him, so for the second phase he is crawling around on the ground trying to find you, feeling around with his free hand. If his hand touches you while you are in front, he attacks there, and if you attack from behind, he does a sweeping attack to try to get you since you just gave yourself away. You have to fight him carefully, but it's a fun gimmick.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

This game sounds like extremely my poo poo.

E: Nice, it's on the ps3.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

While he's not got much range, Ajax is probably my favourite character to play as because he's just a loving wall. He hasn't even got a weapon, just a shield in one hand and a brass knuckle in the other, but his hits feel so meaty as he literally punches shields to pieces. He's also pretty smart, being wise enough to warn Agamemnon that refusing the offering from the temple of Apollo is only gonna piss off Apollo.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
LEGO Worlds is basically "Little Things: The Game". It's made of the smallest, most inconsequential details that make it feel so alive and vibrant. There are too many to count.

When using a Ninja Sword, your animations gain an action anime-style blur.

The head-type you use determines your animations and even attack style.

The game spawns in collectibles near you if you've been wandering too long without finding any yourself.

The NPC archetypes behave differently in small ways. For example, cavemen are scared by anyone carrying modern technology and will attack them.

The color you paint an object also determines its properties, meaning you can literally turn a surface into lava if you use the lava paint.

Playing instruments near any NPC instantly soothes them and makes them dance, even if all they do is bob up and down.

This may just be my dream game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just did a pretty neat late-game bossfight in Legend's of Troy - Patroclus versus ApolloBlessed!Hektor. His attack patterns are interesting, starting by boosting himself with Apollo's power and firing off a volley of fast slashes that have large reach, that you just need to dodge away from until he gets tired so you can hit him. Then he goes to a normal fighting style, until halfway through he gets further help by Apollo creating magic geysers that you need to watch out for while fighting. It's a fun fight, although hard.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
In the Rune Factory games, the fantasy spinoff Harvest Moons, you can eat just about anything that you can get in your fields. There are some exceptions, sticks and rocks are no-goes, but that's nearly it.

Weeds? Eat'em.
Raw onions? Down the hatch.
Flowers? Surprisingly good restorative items for how quickly they grow.

You can also make any enemy eat anything by throwing things at them, and failed dishes can be deadly. But the best use of this is throwing cooking oil at enemies, then lighting them on fire for a near instant kill on anything.

Ashsaber has a new favorite as of 00:41 on May 19, 2019

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Ashsaber posted:

In the Rune Factory games, the fantasy spinoff Harvest Moons, you can eat just about anything that you can get in your fields. There are some exceptions, sticks and rocks are no-goes, but that's nearly it.

Weeds? Eat'em.

You can also make any enemy eat anything by throwing things at them, and failed dishes can be deadly. But the best use of this is throwing cooking oil at enemies, then lighting them on fire for a near instant kill on anything.

Psh. The best use is to throw porridge at a moody wolf man until he falls in love with you/becomes your best friend.

EDIT: Sorry, horse man. Been a while.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Ashsaber posted:

Weeds? Eat'em.

Pretty sure that last one is a war crime.

And its good that the Harvest Moon mechanic of "literally eat flowers and plants from the ground to not pass out" carries on.

Stardew Valley has that but I think most of them are obviously food, some that you can even sow in the right season.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Samuringa posted:

Pretty sure that last one is a war crime.

And its good that the Harvest Moon mechanic of "literally eat flowers and plants from the ground to not pass out" carries on.

Stardew Valley has that but I think most of them are obviously food, some that you can even sow in the right season.

The best part is that the very first flowers you can likely grow take only like 2 days to grow and restore something stupid like 25% of your hp and 15% of your stamina when eaten, so a legitimate tactic would be to just grow a bunch of flowers for the express purpose of eating at a later date, never eating real food.

The mental image is just kind of hilarious to me.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Ashsaber posted:

The best part is that the very first flowers you can likely grow take only like 2 days to grow and restore something stupid like 25% of your hp and 15% of your stamina when eaten, so a legitimate tactic would be to just grow a bunch of flowers for the express purpose of eating at a later date, never eating real food.

The mental image is just kind of hilarious to me.

They just gamified The Lotus Eaters.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

About halfway through A Plague Tale: Innocence, Hugo and Amicia hang their family pendants around a tree in remembrance of their parents. However, in the next chapter Amicia will find Hugo's necklace is gone, foreshadowing not only that he has gone missing but that their mother is still alive.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
They called it Rune Factory when Harvest Rune was right there? Alright I guess.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

They called it Rune Factory when Harvest Rune was right there? Alright I guess.

Eh, if the main title referenced Harvest Moon too heavily it would have been more likely that someone who wants more Harvest Moon but not the fighting aspects in Rune Factory to have bought the game without checking what's different about it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I mostly played Rune Factory for the combat, but if it were called Harvest Rune I probably wouldn't have bothered to check it out. Because I'd not expect a game called Harvest Rune to have cool combat.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Near the end of the game in Tales of Berseria. There is mention of a hotspring and or course being anime game i would expect normal anime things to come from this. But instead the game skips until afterwards and there is no embarrassing peeping scenes to be had!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I mostly played Rune Factory for the combat, but if it were called Harvest Rune I probably wouldn't have bothered to check it out. Because I'd not expect a game called Harvest Rune to have cool combat.

What about Rune Factory screams combat to you? OSHA would shut that right down

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The Shame Boy posted:

Near the end of the game in Tales of Berseria. There is mention of a hotspring and or course being anime game i would expect normal anime things to come from this. But instead the game skips until afterwards and there is no embarrassing peeping scenes to be had!

I've been playing through final fantasy 7 for the first time recently. There's a moment pretty early on where your main dude, Cloud is having a flashback. It's all completely playable, which I think is pretty cool in itself, particularly when other characters only get flashback cutscenes.

Anyway you get the option to go into your childhood friend's house and steal her panties. It's all a joke playing with the fact that Cloud isn't the best narrator but the setup for the whole gag made me smile.

"you went into my house?"
"you went into my room??"
"you went into my dresser???"

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Retro Futurist posted:

What about Rune Factory screams combat to you? OSHA would shut that right down

It had "frontier" in the title.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sleeping Dogs has the plinking audible walk signal at street crossings

It fails to adequately convey how hot and sticky Hong Kong makes you if you're fresh from somewhere with a cool climate (like Wei coming back there from being in San Francisco)... but an air conditioner is the first apartment item I found

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Phy posted:

Sleeping Dogs has the plinking audible walk signal at street crossings

It fails to adequately convey how hot and sticky Hong Kong makes you if you're fresh from somewhere with a cool climate (like Wei coming back there from being in San Francisco)... but an air conditioner is the first apartment item I found
Sleeping Dogs' Hong Kong is one of the most detailed, lovingly rendered cities I've seen in a game. I can't speak to its accuracy but SD holds up a lot better than other games in the genre basically because the city is so fun to spend time in.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I don't remember spending any time exploring the city, but I loved, loved, loved that the radio always chose a song thematically relevant to what was going on in the story at the time.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
That game was so well put together, I really need to go play it again.

Slamming people onto a crate of swordfish heads neeeeever got old.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I absolutely get the comparisons to Hotline Miami -- it's a super-violent game about clearing "rooms" of bad guys where everyone dies in one hit and the setting is trippy and drug-infused. I do find Hotline Miami (and its sequel) to be a fundamentally different playing experience though. Not just the lack of bullet time and the fact that Katana ZERO's protagonist only uses a sword and one-shot throwing weapons, but also Hotline Miami is fundamentally a random game where the same approach will play out very differently from one attempt to the next. Katana ZERO very much feels like the way it's presented: levels are puzzles where you try to figure out a workable solution. Hotline Miami is an action game where you can die over and over again but fortunately only need to succeed once.

But hey, they're all three of them good games, so IMO no need to try to convince someone that one is better than another.

As much as I love both hotline miami and katana zero (just got through the latter yesterday), KZ can definitely be as RNG as HM if not even more so sometimes. KZ lacks a consistent way to attract enemies like HM's guns do imo, and they both have slightly random spawns that can decide to gently caress you over for no real reason.

The games are extremely good though, and I heard KZ's upcoming speedrun mode will get rid of the RNG part (I really wish it wasn't a thing period but I'll take what I get).

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I don't remember spending any time exploring the city, but I loved, loved, loved that the radio always chose a song thematically relevant to what was going on in the story at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmolodMHKiM

You already know the one.

Ledgy has a new favorite as of 13:34 on May 21, 2019

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I love cats and playing cat dressup

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Monster Hunter looks awful because you have to mess around fighting dragons instead of sitting there and petting with those adorable loving cats Jesus Christ loving LOOK AT THEM

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

Monster Hunter looks awful because you have to mess around fighting dragons instead of sitting there and petting with those adorable loving cats Jesus Christ loving LOOK AT THEM
I think you may not be looking for a game, but instead looking for a cat. Instead of a game, get a cat.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think you may not be looking for a game, but instead looking for a cat. Instead of a game, get a cat.

I already have multiple cats, but I demand cats in every aspect of reality

I want to pet cats IRL while petting cats in a video game while I have a video about petting cats on Youtube on my laptop

CATPETTER: THE PETTENING OF CATS

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
DON'T TELL ME YOU DON'T WANNA PET THEM CATS, SON

LOOK AT 'EM

YOU KNOW YOU WANNA PET THEM CATS

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

On the one hand I hear you about petting cats in the game

On the other hand the little dudes are SO excited to get out there and adventure that I could never deny them that pleasure

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

StrixNebulosa posted:

On the one hand I hear you about petting cats in the game

On the other hand the little dudes are SO excited to get out there and adventure that I could never deny them that pleasure

And while they don't do massive dps palicos are solid rear end partners. They do literally any support you need because they're smart and good

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Len posted:

And while they don't do massive dps palicos are solid rear end partners. They do literally any support you need because they're smart and good

World will always be inferior to GenU since you can't play as a cat.

Palico mode is the best part of GenU and takes a good game and makes it great.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Heat Signature is Tom Francis' second game in The Defenestration Trilogy. Like it says on the can, it's largely about throwing people out of windows, this time in space.

Once a given character has thrown enough people out of windows and perhaps completed their personal mission, you can choose to retire them. On retiring, you get to retain a piece of their equipment, usually - but not always - a high-value item or rare weapon or tool of your choice.

That piece of equipment goes into the Inheritance Pool, a special loot table that you and all your Steam friends can roll against. Depending on the quality of your friends, you can get some great stuff here.

Things in my Inheritance Pool include:

- The Swoosh Assistant, a self-charging Slipstream device that accelerates your personal perception of time, making guards react to you more slowly and making it easier to dodge bullets.
- Purple People Deleter, a self-charging high-capacity extreme-range Glitch trap that teleports anyone who isn't you within two meters of the device outside the ship.
- It's Probably Drugs, a high-capacity extreme-range Swapper teleporter.
- Free Dental Assistance, a concussion hammer capable of flinging someone a hundred meters. It's special because it has "very fast recovery," letting you swing it once every 0.1 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Len posted:

My palico stopped a charging rathalos dead on its loving tracks with paralysis right before it bowled me over. The game makes a big deal about your handler being your partner but gently caress her that lady has never faced the physical incarnation of a hurricane by my side, but my cat has