Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I think Copperhell is worse for drawn-out bosses.
Halatali is too long but the bottom five dungeons are, from most bad to least:

1. Copperbell Mines
2. Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak
3. Aurum Vale
4. Tam-Tara Deepcroft
5. Sunken Temple of Qarn

Only Halatali, Dzemael Darkhold (TOO loving LONG), and the two now-unskippably-cutscened MSQ roulette dungeons even come close. The expansions have a couple dungeons that aren't as fun as the rest because they're too long (Dusk Vigil, Castrum Abania) but they are nowhere near as bad as those five pieces of poo poo above.

edit: If you wanted to put Halatali above Qarn I wouldn't blame anyone (it's in sixth for me) but I have had far fewer bad HT experiences, whereas Qarn is consistently the worst groups every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People keep getting surprised by final sting

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tashilicious posted:

It's a real bad dungeon, the stupid bees aren't even the worst part.

edit: The worst part is the bosses, all three of whom are loving obnoxious to fight. I would genuinely rather run AV but I try to be objective. I don't mind the Vale but most people really hate it, and it is an objectively bad dungeon.

edit 2: What makes Aurum Vale less annoying to me is the fact that, if your party knows what to do, it can be a very fast, efficient dungeon. It's too long and it has a totally forgettable middle boss, so it's never going to be good - plus it does a terrible job of conveying its mechanics. I know that the peace I have made with the dungeon is not true for most. I just got it in four different LDRs in four days on my current character, so I got good at it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I don't get why people hate AV and Qarn. I really enjoyed them because they were some of the first dungeons that actually had mechanics to pay attention to.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
AV just has a loving horrible first room. People have been used to just "yolo lets go" in dungeons and the first room of AV is going to murder you every time you try.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
I have an odd soft spot for Aurum Vale in my heart. My first run with it was when I was still a wee WHM, figuring out how to play healer and worrying about screwing up. So when the dungeon made me deal with juggling with healing the whole group from DoTs and such, watching out for AoEs and Coincounter attacks while also keeping the tank alive and DPSing here and there (with the old Cleric Stance too) it all finally clicked with me. I suppose any later dungeon or raid would have eventually done the same but AV just happened to be the first dungeon that was both a legit challenge and had multiple things going on at the same time. I get it probably is a horrible experience for most people but I guess to me it was the horrible experience I needed to get out of my healer anxiety.

Considering that whenever I tank I also have s similiar kind of anxiety , maybe I should bring my PLD into Aurum Vale :v:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

I don't get why people hate AV and Qarn. I really enjoyed them because they were some of the first dungeons that actually had mechanics to pay attention to.
They aren't very good mechanics. How easily you can get through the first room of Aurum Vale relies largely on players already knowing where to walk, and a little bit of luck with the two Nixes. The rest of it just ugly and full of a billion dudes to fight, and the third boss is just the first boss again but more DOTs faster. Qarn is full of stupid optional doors and crap, none of which is relevant if you're ever there above level 35, which is why later dungeons stopped doing that poo poo. It also has really, really boring bosses with a bunch of time-wasting mechanics (but not as bad as Copperbell). It has those dumb heads you have to waste time with, the dumb bees, it all just sucks.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly I like getting Quarn, I enjoy it. The head-switches are cool

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Qarn's your first real brush with instadeath mechanics, the final puzzle isn't a big whoop anymore (although I do love that the flame of power is balanced by the fruit of knowledge) and some people can really screw with the head-on-plate switch puzzles if they keep mindlessly killing the stone faces.

AV requires a bit of thinking and actual honest-to-goodness pulling things back for the first room. The first room is why everyone, tank healer and dps needs to be a bit on their game or else something goes wrong in it (by pulling more things that can be handled and thus wiping.)

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
AV is okay-ish but that period of the MSQ where you have to do DD and AV multiple times in order to do the next quests is soul crushing and the reason why I hate them

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The only part of AV that has even remotely interesting mechanics is Coincounter, and, there are other cyclopes in this game you know. The first and last bosses have exactly one mechanic between the two of them and its not something you can really interact with in a meaningful way

Qarn's fine though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
AV gets a lot of points for me because malboros are my favorite reoccuring FF enemy type and bogs are a cool aesthetic. It was rougher back in 2.X where the odds of getting a group where everyone was worse and had worse gear, but I can't remember the last time I've had any real issues there. And best of all you have more than 3 buttons!

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Funny how no one's mentioned Stone Vigil as being a slog. Everything has too much health. Really, I feel that way about every dungeon from Cutter's Cry up to Aurum Vale. Also the Lvl. x9 dungeons in the expansions that are iLvl synced. Castrum Abania's trash is so goddamn meaty.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Qarn is a cool dungeon with neat puzzles and an aesthetic I really enjoy, but it doesn't work well as an MMO dungeon where XP/tomes per hour is the main goal of people running roulettes. There are all kinds of secrets to uncover but, because it's a level 35 dungeon, your reward is either a single potion you'll never use or maybe some broken gear that can be crafted into slightly better gear that isn't worth much these days.

Similarly, I like the way Toto-Rak looks and feels, it's a literal dungeon, but it's dull in an MMO dungeon sense. The devs have been doing some clever things with the current formula by making environments compelling. Ghimlyt is just a series of rooms and hallways that moves in a single direction like every other post-ARR instance but all of the activity going on makes it a much more interesting experience.

EDIT: Also Castrum Abania is cool and good and everything is from Final Fantasy VI and all of the drops are good. Anyone who does not like the Level 69 dungeon is wrong.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Tashilicious posted:

A nemesis since FFXI.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

homeless snail posted:

The first and last bosses have exactly one mechanic between the two of them and its not something you can really interact with in a meaningful way

You can interact with it by walking across the room out of your way while I'm BLM, my rear end planted directly on one of the fruits, and eat it out from under me. That's always fun.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I remember a run of Qarn where it took like a good couple of minutes longer than it should have to beat the golem because somehow both of the DPS neglected to toggle back to the core the first time it revived

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Leofish posted:

EDIT: Also Castrum Abania is cool and good and everything is from Final Fantasy VI and all of the drops are good. Anyone who does not like the Level 69 dungeon is wrong.

:yeah:

I love Abania. It was my favorite SB dungeon before the Burn came out. The remix of the Peaks theme gets me hype, and it has some fantastic pulls when you're a tank. The FFVI bosses are icing on the cake.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I don't mind getting any dungeon in roulette except for Toto-Rak (mostly because of the slime and webs bits) and Tam-Tara (which is just dull), and even they mostly stand out because they show up so frequently.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Roland Jones posted:

On that topic, what's the ideal way for a healer to handle a tank doing the sprint and mass pull thing in dungeons pre-Tetragrammaton and stuff? Putting Regen on them results in some of the monsters targeting me instead sometimes, which some tanks dislike, so I figure I should ask if there's a better way of doing things I don't know yet. It hasn't really been a problem yet, but I'm still learning things after being away for five years, so.

There's a few ways. If you're a healer with shield, use that every time the last enemy of a pack is dying that helps quite a bit. Also, sprint lasts 10 seconds in combat, 20 seconds when you're out of combat. *Always* push it right after the tank pulls aggro but before you have any, that way yours will always outlast theirs. Also, cut corners like hell I guess, dungeons are a race :v:

Cabbit posted:

I think this is why I'll never like healing in this game. Healing is just memorizing the fight pattern and smacking the one button that fixes the next problem, and you spend the rest of the time playing a vanilla WoW frost mage.

Give healers real DPS rotations and gauges, YoshiP.

No.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Countblanc posted:

AV gets a lot of points for me because malboros are my favorite reoccuring FF enemy type and bogs are a cool aesthetic. It was rougher back in 2.X where the odds of getting a group where everyone was worse and had worse gear, but I can't remember the last time I've had any real issues there. And best of all you have more than 3 buttons!

I main SMN and AV syncs to 49 which locks me out of half my ARR AoE buttons.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
AV used to be annoying as sch, but now sch gets their main aoe skill at 46 lmao

e: Also on the topic of titles, archmage and goddess of war are both good, but nothing will ever beat starcaller.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I got bored of catboy so I've decided to try roegadame until ShB hits. The biggest and most important question to answer now though is what body items have no sleeves to best display the gunshow? Alliance Vest of Striking is good for SAM/MNK but I'm gonna need alternatives for DRG/WAR.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

AV is largely due to the first room, which requires a level of cautious pulling and tedious waiting that isn't present in any other dungeon. Qarn's largely fine, aside from the fiddly mechanics involved with the Facers.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
Sorry, but the worst dungeon in the game is Dzemael Darkhold and it's not even close.

Doesn't help that I get it 80% of the time when I queue for LDR, with the other 20% being split between Toto-rak and Tam-tara. Way to typecast the Duskwight, assholes.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Vermain posted:

AV is largely due to the first room, which requires a level of cautious pulling and tedious waiting that isn't present in any other dungeon. Qarn's largely fine, aside from the fiddly mechanics involved with the Facers.

Got to give special thanks to AVs first room for being the spot to grind in that level range to get up to the next MSQ. It was super efficient back in the day to go in there, clear it and reset and all dudes had to do was stand at the front door while your tank fed you exp.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

The roulettes should just not choose dungeons that aren't within X levels of the party average or something, that was if I go in fully stacked with my 70 crew we don't end up melting down when it picks tam-tara for the 100th time

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
All the ARR leveling dungeons suck in their own unique, terrible ways.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
That's exclusively on many classes not having aoe tho. If you get 2 dps with aoe skills they're fine.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Genovera posted:

Pubbie BLM in exdr who had a mentor crown and the "God of Magic" title on:

Looked him up in FFlogs and his very few parses are exactly what you'd expect. He also has consistently not used blizzard IV in over a year.

I hope you kicked him.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
If you don't Blizzard 4, you can't Flare twice before having to Convert or Ether. Why even play BLM if you're not trying to cast Flare as often as possible?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Truga posted:

AV used to be annoying as sch, but now sch gets their main aoe skill at 46 lmao

e: Also on the topic of titles, archmage and goddess of war are both good, but nothing will ever beat starcaller.

People will disagree with this, and they're wrong and bad, but BLM LB3 is the best looking caster limit break.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

hard to tell what's the best looking caster LB cause all of them blind the raid

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Vitamean posted:

hard to tell what's the best looking caster LB cause all of them blind the raid

RDM is the worst offender, by far.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I'd say RDM because it gives Ultima a run for her money.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Groggy nard posted:

RDM is the worst offender, by far.

Easily the best part of O3S, for my group.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Both AV and DD can snowball really badly; the first room in AV will destroy you if you try to pull everything (either on purpose or by someone taking one wrong step and making some monster in another postal code aggro) as will the last encounter right before coincutter if you're not careful. Same goes for DD and the loving Frog Room after the first time you teleport; if you try and pull past the first frog up to the crystal you're gonna get your rear end handed to you.

That's not even getting into the bossfights and people not eating the god drat fruits. AV is one of the more stressing dungeons to heal. :<

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I've recently found incapacitate very effective at removing dot stacks in AV

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
AV sucks because on top of the first room being obnoxious, it's lazy. The first and last boss are the same. Same mechanics. And that mechanic is not all that interesting to be doing it twice. They didn't even do us the favor of making the two rooms different. It's the same reason Toto-Rak sucks. Dumb floor stuff, repeating boss, longer than anybody wants.

But the worst dungeon is Neverreap.

Vitamean posted:

Easily the best part of O3S, for my group.

Oh my god, so many times in O3S I was just pressing buttons and praying. Cause I'm pretty sure unlike O7S, something can gank your rear end in O3S while you're blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

AV is great because done correctly it takes about 25 minutes and thanks to the little monster spawning eggs rewards you with absolute shitloads of XP at-level.