Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

It has?

The situation is also much more nuanced than that, and there are not clear good guys and bad guys.

Thanks for your hot take though.

In what way is it nuanced? What person even vaguely aware of anything has been unaware of the US government's position on Chinese companies in general and Huawei specifically?

I'm not saying anyone's a good or bad guy, I'm saying if you followed the news at all for the last three years and Google being prohibited from working with Huawei is in any way a surprise to you, you're an idiot. This is the exact situation ZTE was in a year ago and you'd have to be a fool to not figure it was going to happen to Huawei sooner or later given the rhetoric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
So, what exactly is going to happen to my huawei honor 10?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You should be able to keep using it as normal but it's probably seen its last update.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

It has?

The situation is also much more nuanced than that, and there are not clear good guys and bad guys.

Thanks for your hot take though.

LastInLine said nothing about good guys or bad guys, just that this is why people have cautioned against some Chinese brands. Huawei (and ZTE) have had a history of iffy relations with the U.S., this was a potential concern if you were banking on them becoming major manufacturers in the U.S. The parting shot about people getting what they deserve doesn't make his actual point a hot take.

And efb by the man himself, ha

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sourdough posted:

LastInLine said nothing about good guys or bad guys, just that this is why people have cautioned against some Chinese brands. Huawei (and ZTE) have had a history of iffy relations with the U.S., this was a potential concern if you were banking on them becoming major manufacturers in the U.S. The parting shot about people getting what they deserve doesn't make his actual point a hot take.

And efb by the man himself, ha

True, his petty parting shot ruined whatever legit point he was trying to make for me, and I'm not cool with that behaviour.

LastInLine posted:

In what way is it nuanced? What person even vaguely aware of anything has been unaware of the US government's position on Chinese companies in general and Huawei specifically?

I'm not saying anyone's a good or bad guy, I'm saying if you followed the news at all for the last three years and Google being prohibited from working with Huawei is in any way a surprise to you, you're an idiot. This is the exact situation ZTE was in a year ago and you'd have to be a fool to not figure it was going to happen to Huawei sooner or later given the rhetoric.

Learn how to make your points without insulting people or posting like a dickhole.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Well poo poo. Is MS gonna pull windows support for Huawei laptops too?

Is this just Trump protectionism or will it continue in 2024 with president Ocasio-Cortez (lol more likely president Shapiro)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Learn how to make your points without insulting people or posting like a dickhole.

Not really sure who's being insulted here. Anyone advocating ITT that people look seriously at Chinese brands when Trump ran on and has delivered a trade war with China are the ones posting "like dickholes" because they're the ones advising people to spend their money on products that are now unlikely to be supported.

This was a foreseeable consequence of the adversarial stance the US government has taken with China, and not just in the abstract--people actually posted what has happened as a likely scenario in this thread. It's not that hot of a take to say that if we've all been warned for years about something that if someone goes ahead with it anyway, that's on them, especially given they'd have to go out of their way to do it! The US government stepped in and told Verizon and AT&T not to carry Huawei phones in their stores. This is entirely a water is wet, sky is blue news story.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

There's little MS can do about currently running notebooks, but new ones won't be able to have Windows pre-installed and it hardly matters anyways since AMD and Intel can't sell them chips anymore.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Not really sure who's being insulted here. Anyone advocating ITT that people look seriously at Chinese brands when Trump ran on and has delivered a trade war with China are the ones posting "like dickholes" because they're the ones advising people to spend their money on products that are now unlikely to be supported.

This was a foreseeable consequence of the adversarial stance the US government has taken with China, and not just in the abstract--people actually posted what has happened as a likely scenario in this thread. It's not that hot of a take to say that if we've all been warned for years about something that if someone goes ahead with it anyway, that's on them, especially given they'd have to go out of their way to do it! The US government stepped in and told Verizon and AT&T not to carry Huawei phones in their stores. This is entirely a water is wet, sky is blue news story.

Stop insulting people (calling them stupid, saying they deserve it, etc etc) to make your point. Be nice and respectful, or don't post.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Is this just Trump protectionism or will it continue in 2024 with president Ocasio-Cortez (lol more likely president Shapiro)

Huawei laptops will be supported because Microsoft doesn't re-certify devices on updates, but Google does make sure updated phones are certified for Play Store access. The action doesn't stop Huawei from pushing updates to their phones, what it does is prevent those updated phones from being certified to be allowed on the Play Store. I suppose Microsoft could stop updated Huawei laptops from accessing their store, but their store is a garbage fire so no harm, no foul.

This is mostly Trump protectionism certainly. I'm sure the intelligence community has their concerns (and I doubt even those are actually justified in any real way if I'm being honest) but this is just Trump using whatever tools he has to attack Chinese interests. It's pretty hard to imagine any of it will matter in 2024 since by then Huawei will either make phones with their own OS, make Google-free Android phones only for sale in their home market, or not make phones at all. This is an effective death sentence for them outside of Asia. I'd expect that post-Trump trade relations will normalize between the US and China because both Democrats and Republicans are in favor of liberalized trade. This is pretty much a one-man crusade.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The issue is that the U.S. Department of Commerce is going to add Huawei and 68 affiliated entities to the "Entity List". This means companies cannot "export, reexport, or transfer (in-country) items specified on the Entity List to listed entities without a license from BIS." In this case, the "items specified" are all items subject to the EAR.

https://www.natlawreview.com/article/us-adds-huawei-and-affiliates-to-department-commerce-entity-list-what-to-expect

This is why all these U.S. companies are ending support with Huawei. It was a long time coming, too. The company was built on top of stealing IP from companies like Nortel, Cisco, and Motorola, and people have been warning about them even back in 2012.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bull3964 posted:

You should be able to keep using it as normal but it's probably seen its last update.

And what about accessing the play store?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Charles posted:

And what about accessing the play store?

It should be able to unless it falls out of certification (which could happen with an update.)

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

Does this include security patches?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

Does this include security patches?

It should, yes. Although I'm not really sure. The relationship is that security patches only includes those which Google says are out there and one would assume that if Google can't work with Huawei that's where the breakdown would occur. But of course most of those patches also goes into AOSP and as security patches aren't supposed to contain anything except the patches (no functional updating) I guess Huawei could just push out updates based on what's in AOSP. I don't know if Google certifies after security updates normally.

It's important to note this is uncharted waters and Google themselves are still figuring out what's allowed and what isn't.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 20, 2019

mystes
May 31, 2006

LastInLine posted:

This is mostly Trump protectionism certainly. I'm sure the intelligence community has their concerns (and I doubt even those are actually justified in any real way if I'm being honest) but this is just Trump using whatever tools he has to attack Chinese interests.
The government has been doing everything they can to discredit Huawei to prevent other countries from adopting their 5G equipment. This has been continually escalating for around a year.

It's not just Trump suddenly blacklisting them on a whim.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mystes posted:

The government has been doing everything they can to discredit Huawei to prevent other countries from adopting their 5G equipment. This has been continually escalating for around a year.

It's not just Trump suddenly blacklisting them on a whim.

This is true but I think you and I would agree that Trump's probably the only guy who gives no fucks about the inevitable Chinese economic retaliation for doing what he did. It's one thing to know they exist to steal patents and are probably backdooring networking equipment, it's quite another to go all out trade war because of it.

Edit: After all, like you said we've known this for the better part of a decade, why now?

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 20, 2019

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

LastInLine posted:

It should, yes. Although I'm not really sure.

Ugh. I bought an Honor 8X a few months ago as a cheap secondary phone, obviously without the expectation of OS updates but I figured I'd get at least quarterly security updates for the foreseeable future.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

Ugh. I bought an Honor 8X a few months ago as a cheap secondary phone, obviously without the expectation of OS updates but I figured I'd get at least quarterly security updates for the foreseeable future.

Think of it this way, if it's as insecure by design as all the US three-letter agencies say it is, no security patch was ever going to help you. I know we talk a lot here about security updates being important but realistically have you ever heard of anyone at all ever just accidentally getting owned through a CVE who wasn't being actively targeted?

Don't worry too much about it, it was cheap after all.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Kind of a shame about huawei. They seem to know what to put in the best phones to make them really worth it even if they do copy the IP. If pixel had more that sort of hardaware Id deffo be using one right now

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

LastInLine posted:

Think of it this way, if it's as insecure by design as all the US three-letter agencies say it is, no security patch was ever going to help you. I know we talk a lot here about security updates being important but realistically have you ever heard of anyone at all ever just accidentally getting owned through a CVE who wasn't being actively targeted?

I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying the value of security updates in general is somewhat theoretical and thus they're not that crucial on a budget phone?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

LastInLine posted:

Known security flaws in popular phones are potentially very easy to exploit in an automated way.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Will this poo poo affect devices outside of the US? I'm in Aus and only got a Nova 3i a couple of months ago

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

screaden posted:

Will this poo poo affect devices outside of the US? I'm in Aus and only got a Nova 3i a couple of months ago

Yes.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

LastInLine posted:

This is the exact situation ZTE was in a year ago

Uh, pretty sure ZTE got in poo poo because they were literally caught doing business with North Korea and Iran in spite of US sanctions saying America will straight gently caress you if you get caught.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Mister Facetious posted:

Uh, pretty sure ZTE got in poo poo because they were literally caught doing business with North Korea and Iran in spite of US sanctions saying America will straight gently caress you if you get caught.

Huawei is currently in court over violating Iran sanctions on top of all the spying accusations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I hadn't heard that little detail; Huawei's hosed then.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Intel, Broadcom and Qualcomm are shunning them as well, so there goes the laptop sales.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Xiaomi and OnePlus, as pure hardware manufacturers with no involvement in telecoms like Huawei and ZTE, should be safe from this fallout right? Because if not, then Android is just gonna be Google or Samsung for the foreseeable future.

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget
The Century Of National Humiliation.

Ola posted:

Intel, Broadcom and Qualcomm are shunning them as well, so there goes the laptop sales.
This thread is being such an alarmist.

The whole point of android is that the source code is available and can be modified by anyone, including huawei themselves.

China also has excellent tech industry with HiSilicon that can rival qualcomm, baidu that can rival amazon and google combined and many others. This will just be a small blip that might even catalyze China's rule by 2020 statement with their own operating system and software stacks.

The hardware feature on Huawei devices is excellent especially for its price. So keep on buying them if you want the best bang for your buck and dont worry about the political theatrics being played by american politicians.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

nong posted:

The hardware feature on Huawei devices is excellent especially for its price. So keep on buying them if you want the best bang for your buck and dont worry about the political theatrics being played by american politicians.

Having to sideload the play store again after every software update, monthly in the case of flagships, is the kinda hassle I'm not really interested in with my phone.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
For anyone with a Huawei phone and are worried about not getting updates, I suppose you could always unlock the bootloader and install LineageOS. I'd never install it on my Pixel but I put it on my old Nexus 5S while my wife waited for a replacement phone, and it worked great and got constant updates. I have no idea if Lineage could be sending your data to people but I'm guessing it doesn't since it's open source and would be discovered quickly.

I'm not sure what to think of all this because I hate seeing people lose their jobs who had nothing to do with this and I'm not even sure that a backdoor was ever even discovered on their phones yet on the other hand I wanted LG to be fired into the sun for that time they got caught uploading the file names of every file you ever had on a drive attached to your TV. And yet 5 years later here I am buying an LG OLED TV (because no one else makes them) but I needs my 0ms motion blur and true black levels.

I'm not really sure what the point of my post is

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

LastInLine posted:

I'm sure the intelligence community has their concerns (and I doubt even those are actually justified in any real way if I'm being honest)

Whoever controls the device's update pipeline controls the device. If the Chinese government can at any time take over the update pipeline, the Chinese government controls the device.

The device being safe and secure *now* means nothing when any update can just silently install a rootkit only on specific devices.

Huawei's done for. Xiaomi is the next one on the chopping block.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Can't wait for Mnuchin to tell us today how well trade talks are going, lol.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

For anyone with a Huawei phone and are worried about not getting updates, I suppose you could always unlock the bootloader and install LineageOS.

Most of their current flagships have locked bootloaders I believe.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Incessant Excess posted:

Most of their current flagships have locked bootloaders I believe.

Lame.

I really hope Pixels keep the bootloader unlockability difficulty at "pres butan" for the foreseeable future. I'm not sure what their incentive is for allowing it but g*d bless them for it

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

endlessmonotony posted:

Whoever controls the device's update pipeline controls the device. If the Chinese government can at any time take over the update pipeline, the Chinese government controls the device.

The device being safe and secure *now* means nothing when any update can just silently install a rootkit only on specific devices.

Huawei's done for. Xiaomi is the next one on the chopping block.

Can Huawei actually push an update by themselves, or does the OTA process need the carriers to get involved for any automatic update?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

isndl posted:

Can Huawei actually push an update by themselves, or does the OTA process need the carriers to get involved for any automatic update?

With unlocked phones not bought from a carrier (at least outside the US, US carriers tend to have weird rules about devices on their networks), only the manufacturer and Google (for certification, so the device is able to access the Play Store) are involved

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler

anakha posted:

Xiaomi and OnePlus, as pure hardware manufacturers with no involvement in telecoms like Huawei and ZTE, should be safe from this fallout right? Because if not, then Android is just gonna be Google or Samsung for the foreseeable future.

Curious about this too, if anyone has any opinion or info? With Xiaomi being in the Android One program especially how this plays out as alternative cheap good sub 300eur phones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying the value of security updates in general is somewhat theoretical and thus they're not that crucial on a budget phone?

I was saying you're right and you're hosed but in the real world I've never heard of anyone actively getting owned in a drive by. Not that it wouldn't be possible or even trivial with a known exploit, I've just never actually read about it happening to someone who wasn't targeted specifically. I mentioned it was cheap because at least you aren't out a lot of money.

Lambert posted:

Known security flaws in popular phones are potentially very easy to exploit in an automated way.

That's true but frequently phones aren't patched and still you don't hear about of bad things happening that aren't happening in the Play Stare for click fraud. I'm not saying it's not bad to be out of regular security patches, I'm just saying people use old phones all the time with no protection without anything happening to them so it isn't the end of the world.

Not the most reassuring of statements but it's not a good situation overall.