Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Mimesweeper posted:

I think there was a Tumblr Q&A or a post somewhere that said Solomon only has sons through martial arts breathing bullshit because he can't bear the thought of replacing his daughters who died back in his origin story.

I guess it would be nice of him to bring in someone other than family though.
The Q&A was just that its martial arts breathing bullshit. The not wanting to replace his daughters from his origin story is just reader extrapolation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
That's the best use of "Orly"? I've seen in a long time.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Did a reread recently and noticed that I understand a whole lot more of all those exposition pictures where white chain and Cio explain things. At my first read it was hard to figure out just how literal to take some of them.

It also highlighted for me that we still know very little about the asian themed demiurge. She's very present in those pictures but doesn't do a whole lot in them afaik.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mindblast posted:

It also highlighted for me that we still know very little about the asian themed demiurge. She's very present in those pictures but doesn't do a whole lot in them afaik.

she doesn’t do a whole lot period. that’s Jadis, the prophesying paperweight

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
We'll get a flashback of when she was still the most powerful of the demiurges. She was below only invincible-Jagg before she decided to take a peek behind the curtain and realized she was a tertiary character in a graphic novel, so I'd bet she was close to or stronger than immediate-post-war-Jagganoth. And we know that the rankings aren't the be all and end all of strength, Jagganoth currently would have a hard time getting rid of Gog-Agog, and if Gog-Agog were able to focus she'd be the strongest of the seven according to word of Operant.

Interestingly, Jadis's still not the weakest demiurge, standing above Mammon. Though maybe that's changed if Mammon's gotten mad enough to burn away his senility. Also interestingly, even in his decrepit state Incubus is ranked as the middle of the strength rating. If everyone thinks Auntie Maya should have had that spot she might have been a Solomon David level demiurge... and Meti would have probably ranked even higher.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 21, 2019

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Mammon was the lowest at the time of that ranking because of the senility and general helplessness, he's probably climbed a bit up the ranks thank to Allison and Mottom.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

YaketySass posted:

Mammon was the lowest at the time of that ranking because of the senility and general helplessness, he's probably climbed a bit up the ranks thank to Allison and Mottom.

granted this is before the senility reveal, but operant said his lower rank was more due to his inexperience with magic or fist arts compared to his contemporaries. he lacks any skills or powers beyond being a fire-breathing lizard the size of a modest temple with nigh-impenetrable skin, which still counts for quite a bit

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

habeasdorkus posted:

and Meti would have probably ranked even higher.

Didnt Abbadon say that Meti was stronger than any Demiurge except Zoss?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Power rankings are a wank, but Meti, while alive, likely could have killed any of them.

ElMaligno posted:

I am glad you are still wrong about everything.
And yet, I notice you haven't disagreed with anything I said in my first post.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Power rankings are a wank, but Meti, while alive, likely could have killed any of them.

She couldn't, because she didn't want to. Same reason Maya couldn't kill Incubus.

If Meti did want to kill the other Demiurges, she might've been able to, but then she wouldn't be Meti.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I'm pretty sure Meti could kill whoever she pleased, and according to the story, did in fact kill a whole lot of people before the emptiness of slaughter set in and she re-dedicated herself to being "wine-drunk philosophy trash grandma." She isn't revered by idiots as the greatest sword-saint who ever lived because she wrote a book.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

nimby posted:

She couldn't, because she didn't want to. Same reason Maya couldn't kill Incubus.

If Meti did want to kill the other Demiurges, she might've been able to, but then she wouldn't be Meti.

I don't want to be at work today, but I still did it. What you can do, what you want to do and what you do do don't always align.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Who What Now posted:

I don't want to be at work today, but I still did it. What you can do, what you want to do and what you do do don't always align.

This is somewhat complicated when you are talking about Cutting, which is the act of division by the blade of Want.

I am sure that Meti could attack and kill plenty of people whether or not she really wanted to, but I assume that her ability to murder potentially everyone came through her mastery of Cutting, and I am not sure you can Cut anything unless you Want to.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Who What Now posted:

What you can do, what you want to do and what you do do don't always align.

If you're not Royalty, then sure.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Dead Reckoning posted:

And yet, I notice you haven't disagreed with anything I said in my first post.

i just automatically and spitefully disagree and ignore anything and everything you say. and if i agree with it i just keep it to myself because you already have a dangerously over-inflated ego.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

YaketySass posted:

If you're not Royalty, then sure.

Not being Royalty is the most Royal thing of all

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

My eyes kind of glaze over when the "relative power level" talk begins here because I get the feeling the whole eventual point of the comic is that that crap doesn't really matter. (That and I feel the ever-increasing power levels are what ruined DBZ.)

ElMaligno posted:

I am glad you are still wrong about everything.

I'm glad there are still things we can depend on!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I feel like pretty much everyone's "power level" are measured by different scales, because they all pull their abilities from fundamentally different sources, keys notwithstanding

That is to say, ranking characters by their power is an inevitably fruitless endeavour

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I mean, Allison killed a god* by throwing a spear. It's not that hard if you do it right.

*Mottom's not dead yet, but she's now guaranteed to be at some point, and that's good enough.

Edit: Okay, to be more precise, Allison killed a god by blowing up a single tree.

SardonicTyrant fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 21, 2019

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SardonicTyrant posted:

Edit: Okay, to be more precise, Allison killed a god by blowing up a single tree.

Thats a summary worthy of a curveball parable.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

My eyes kind of glaze over when the "relative power level" talk begins here because I get the feeling the whole eventual point of the comic is that that crap doesn't really matter. (That and I feel the ever-increasing power levels are what ruined DBZ.)

I'm glad there are still things we can depend on!

yeah it's real dumb

like what's ur power level irl

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
My power level is 62.9387 on the Klumph scale with a resonating frequency of 4782 Peka-hertz.

These are very important numbers to remember, I assure you.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I rate at .00015 Krillinewtons, on the DBS scale.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I do not need powerlevels, because I am the most base of fools. Yet with but a single wank, I can end civilization as it is known.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

yeah it's real dumb

like what's ur power level irl

Eleventy billion Gokus, give or take a Krillin.

SardonicTyrant posted:

I do not need powerlevels, because I am the most base of fools. Yet with but a single wank, I can end civilization as it is known.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 21, 2019

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I used to regularly lift things onto high shelves as part of my work but I don't anymore

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Less than one-tenth of a milligoku. My scouter isn't sensitive enough to register me.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The power of the individual demiurges is for the most part weirdly intermingled with their self-conception and undermined by the personal attributes that make them stagnant per their roles in the overarching plot. The "Demiurge X would be Y powerful but for/due to Z" framing ignores that what and who the demiurges are, their mental states and what they do and don't do, is necessarily both the source of their power and their defining limitation, e.g. Gog-Agog would not be demiurge if they were capable of central focus.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I meant more like, there's always a possibility, however slight, my child grows up into Mega Ultra Hitler 2000, who is also Dio Brando.

There's no such thing as invincibility in this setting, because there's always a slight chance something will destroy you.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

SardonicTyrant posted:

There's no such thing as invincibility in this setting, because there's always a slight chance something will destroy you.

Yep. Strength is only useful as an obstacle to be overcome in an interesting way to the narrative. If the only thing that matters is who is "stronger" we just get the grunt-fest staring contests of latter DBZ chapters. It's only interesting that Gog-Agog is stronger than the others because her mental state makes it irrelevant. Even Jaggonoth, who is supposedly getting way too powerful, needs an alliance with Incubus to challenge the others.

The keys are bullshit too. They might unlock power, or amplify it, but clearly they're not the only way to it. Meti (probably) never had a key. Maya doesn't, currently. Solomon grew powerful without one, and Zoss is still so powerful even without one that death literally doesn't matter to him. Their motivations and will are way more interesting than their power or whatever keys they have/had.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 21, 2019

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

great entrance and an even better exit

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1130965930580881410

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

SHE'S SO COOL.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

loving hell.

Fake edit: Notice how her key went pop and she immediately disintegrated? That must be Gog Agog's self in some way.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I thought I remembered a page or something referencing some ranking and brief summary of the demiurges being discussed. I tried looking for it but didn't have any luck. Does anyone have a link or am I just misremembering?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Demiurge4 posted:

loving hell.

Fake edit: Notice how her key went pop and she immediately disintegrated? That must be Gog Agog's self in some way.

Well, probably less that the key is "her" and more that the key is only there if "she" is there (although clearly she can hide it when she wants).

Twenty Four posted:

I thought I remembered a page or something referencing some ranking and brief summary of the demiurges being discussed. I tried looking for it but didn't have any luck. Does anyone have a link or am I just misremembering?

Maybe someone's compiled it, but for most of this information (like about Gog-Agog being the strongest) we're going off rather scattered comments from Abaddon, spread over blog posts in comic updates, answers to questions on his other blog, and posts he's made here.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 22, 2019

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Part entertainer. Part god. All worm.

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

She's got the rhythm.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

habeasdorkus posted:

SHE'S SO COOL.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Twenty Four posted:

Something like Juggs > Pre-Carbonate Jadis > Salami Dave > Gog > Incubus > Mottom > Carbonite Jadis > Senile Grandpa Dog

The comment specifically said Mammon was at the bottom due to his current condition (pre-Wielder of Names), so Angry Grandpa Dog might have moved up a rank.

e: https://killsixbilliondemons.tumblr.com/post/145516236255/all-all-the-demiurges-our-great-red-god-excluded

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
My first impression was that Allison had chopped Gog's head in half mid-conversation.