Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Phone posted:

What are the dates and itineraries? I don’t wanna sign up for Scott’s.

mikeycp posted:

and you rebooked for november?
Yes I'll be there 11/6 to 14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Bloodnose posted:

Yes I'll be there 11/6 to 14

hell yeah let's party

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Dang I walked past a 7-11 just now and got all excited

But I'm back in the States now :negative:

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
Great, my travelmate maxed out his credit card so I now have to feed two mouths. Luckily it's only for the remaining three days, but dude come on.

Sadly there is no funny story behind this like a bar in Roppongi, just a super low limit.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Ask the credit card company for a bump?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

caberham posted:

Ask the touts in Roppongi for a bump?

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010

caberham posted:

Ask the credit card company for a bump?
Honestly, that would be the sane option. Would just be one pretty expensive phone call from Japan to Germany which he doesn't want to do. Sadly you cannot do this via mail or web interface. It's already an achievement for a german bank that one can do that via phone.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Skype credit call?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

7-11 sucks

lawson > family mart > 7-11 imo

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Magna Kaser posted:

7-11 sucks

Important question: where does ministop fit in this hierarchy?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
daily yamazaki or get out

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

family mart > Lawson purely on the basis of their eggs

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010

caberham posted:

Skype credit call?
This is incredibly great advice. Keeping that in mind should it ever happen to me. It's too complicated for my friend... Dumped him to get drunk on my own. Speaking off, why is getting drunk soo cheap here?!

Also it's Family Mart > Seven Eleven > Lawson, simply based on how far I have to walk from my bed.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Happy Litterbox posted:

Speaking off, why is getting drunk soo cheap here?!

It's what holds the whole society together.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Family mart for selection but 711 made better in store snacks

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Well, booked my flight to go back there for a family visit, just a week from now. I can't wait to eat pork chins and raw wombs at shimonya.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Magna Kaser posted:

your Japan experiences, OTOH, are on point

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Johnny Truant posted:

I had this exact experience upon getting back

We have a lot to learn about convenience stores here

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, I was sad that I couldn’t get decent food at a convenience store when I got back home. Just means I gotta learn to cook that poo poo myself :chef:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Lawson's the best, but I may have been influenced by seeing only those on my first day of riding, which was 100km along the coast in the pouring rain. They were very friendly and supportive of letting me dry off while eating lunch.

The 7-11 by the airport here is the closest thing to a Japanese-style convenience store nearby, and I'm not ashamed to admit I bike over there for snacks every so often because of that.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Anyone have a good egg salad recipe? Is it just the kewpie that changes the taste or is there something else? I need my egg salad sandwich fix.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Anyone have a good egg salad recipe? Is it just the kewpie that changes the taste or is there something else? I need my egg salad sandwich fix.

Yeah Kewpie would play a large part. With the sandwich, the shokupan also has a big effect.

Onecookbook's recipe is a good starting point: https://www.justonecookbook.com/japanese-egg-sandwich-tamago-sando/

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

The best combini is the one that's right in front of you
Just imagine what would happen if there was some religious combini that didn't sell alcohol on Sundays or whatever

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol rip mormon conbini

egg salad sandwich starts with good eggs.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Family mart does the basics the best like a hint of mustard and celery in the egg sandwich. Lawson has the biggest craft beer selection and big hungry man size platters of yakisoba. 7/11 has the best variety and speed of producing new items for each season, especially for the donburi things.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

zmcnulty posted:

The best combini is the one that's right in front of you

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm a Family Mart man but yes, whatever's closest is always the best.

Whatever's closest and has the best booze variety.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

the best booze variety.

That's Natural Lawson but if you're concerned about that just go to a real store anyway.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Someone just took my umbrella from the umbrella stand in front of Lawsons. It’s a good thing it’s not pouring out right now.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Someone just took my umbrella from the umbrella stand in front of Lawsons. It’s a good thing it’s not pouring out right now.

Glad you're getting the authentic Japan experience.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

7 11 sells a cheeseburger called THEチーズバーガー and is therefore the best combini

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

7 11 sells a cheeseburger called THEチーズバーガー and is therefore the best combini

ew lol

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

not just any ol anvorgesa

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
The little unique rail jingle at Maihama station is Zip-a-dee-doo-da. Amazing. Going to the parks the next two days.

Went to an arcade in Shinjuku today. The card game based on Romance of the Three Kingdoms looks ridiculous.

Had a cheese dog in shin-okubo near my previous hotel.

This city is great

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The chef at this hole in the wall restaurant im in is trying to learn French and since I’m from Canada I’m trying to accommodate him and is both trying to speak terrible French is so amazing and probably the highlight of my trip.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Martytoof posted:

The chef at this hole in the wall restaurant im in is trying to learn French and since I’m from Canada I’m trying to accommodate him and is both trying to speak terrible French is so amazing and probably the highlight of my trip.

I went to the Tokyo metropolitan museum one trip and wanted to get a tour guide in English but they were all out giving tours. The woman who was available didn’t speak English and I didn’t speak Japanese (then). She asked if I spoke French or Spanish and I don’t, so we stood there for a sec and then I asked “Sprechen sie Deutsch?” and her eyes lit up and said that she did speak German. So she toured us around in German which with my two years of high school level knowledge was good enough. Definitely a big highlight.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

This sounds like a great experience :)

Doctor Zero posted:

I went to the Tokyo metropolitan museum one trip and wanted to get a tour guide in English but they were all out giving tours. The woman who was available didn’t speak English and I didn’t speak Japanese (then). She asked if I spoke French or Spanish and I don’t, so we stood there for a sec and then I asked “Sprechen sie Deutsch?” and her eyes lit up and said that she did speak German. So she toured us around in German which with my two years of high school level knowledge was good enough. Definitely a big highlight.

This, too :)

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Martytoof posted:

I went out for dinner with a French girl I met at the hostel in Kyoto, and we decided on a small family restaurant who were super friendly. I was poorly translating to/from horrible Japanese to horrible French-Canadian, but everyone thought it was super impressive due to the part of the conversation they couldn't understand.

I'm such a fraud. If only they knew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Question Mark Mound posted:

I have a bunch of them as .m4r (iOS ringtone) files. You can just rename the extension to .m4a to make them play in most music apps and convert them to whatever your phone needs. Uploaded them to WeTransfer for 7 days since I don't really have any hosting space I can use: https://wetransfer.com/downloads/6d9081195fdd6cb4b6ba3f5b0f01b01a20190518152532/1b6133bc025d89f4bd8044f1baf8f02120190518152532/e32001

Just downloaded this and wanted to say thanks again! Only recognized a few so far but they're still great notification noises :kimchi: