Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So they're basically just completely unplayable games, then? Gotcha.

That's sad, having an NES strategy game to poke at that doesn't suck rear end would be nice.

you can play them, but only a tiny handful of starting rulers are viable at all because a lot of the game is built around micromanaging the macro economy. if you have a lot of money, you can buy soldiers, which inflates the price of hiring soldiers for all players, so your army grows while everyone else pays 3, 5, 10x as much you for half as many troops.

alternatively, if you have a lot of rice but little money, you can gently caress the rice market for a few years by liquidating your granaries and then using that money to buy soldiers, which inflates the price of well you get the picture.

if you don't have a lot of money or food, and the AI does, the AI will just do this to you instead. also, in pretty much everything predating RotK3, the AI is a little too basic to be arbitrary (if this makes sense), so it's always incredibly ruthless and efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Wei Yan is a genius.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I don't remember which empires game it was, but in one of them, you could received a letter from an enemy commander asking you to defect, and after turning it down, your strategist finds it and comes up with a plan to feign your defection in a battle

None of the other empires games do anything like, which is a little sad

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Raserys posted:

I don't remember which empires game it was, but in one of them, you could received a letter from an enemy commander asking you to defect, and after turning it down, your strategist finds it and comes up with a plan to feign your defection in a battle

That's DW5XL's Destiny Mode, where you start as basically a peon who can't even use charge attacks unless you buy the upgrade.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The Persona 4 Arena games pulled nearly the entire P3 cast into them so it wouldn't be out of precedent for Scramble to repeat.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It'll be trash if they don't put in Labrys.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

McTimmy posted:

The Persona 4 Arena games pulled nearly the entire P3 cast into them so it wouldn't be out of precedent for Scramble to repeat.
The main sticking point here is that while the actual DW and especially WO games are known for bonkers playable cast sizes, this was built up over the years and many different game releases. First releases in new or crossover series Warriors games tend to have a much smaller playable cast. I personally wouldn't get my hopes up for the game getting anything other than the P5 cast, with perhaps DLC packs focused on P4 and P3 introducing 2-3 playable characters each from those games. Either that, or we'll probably get the most popular (in Japan) characters from P3-5, and there will be some holes in the roster. However, I don't consider this possibility to be super likely considering that the game is called Persona 5 Scramble.

If they do go hog wild and toss in the surviving P3-P5 cast I'll be ecstatic, but I'm not going to set myself up for disappointment. That would be nearly 30 characters, well beyond what either Hyrule Warriors or Fire Emblem Warriors did.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

chumbler posted:

It'll be trash if they don't put in Labrys.

Labrys would be amazing but not sure who actually owns the rights to her.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Raserys posted:

That sounds like "Destiny" mode in DW5XL. Sadly it's a little half-baked in how it works; you basically switch kingdoms until the final battle, then you have the choice to defect back to your original side in the middle of things and wrap the campaign up.

Destiny mode itself wasn't really thought-out, it's just a bonus mode more than anything.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Please let them figure out to include Demifiend, Raidou, and the cast of DDS into Persona Warriors. I want to see the Persona crew react to Serph eating someone in a cutscene.

In fact, just make it SMT Warriors. Bring in everybody.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

RareAcumen posted:

So, what, Koromaru and no one else?

and what's the issue with this?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I finally decided to pick up DW9 now that it's $20 CAD used and the patch notes are a hilarious laundry list of "we added a new system mechanic, enjoy!"

Get past the main menu, get slammed with a notification about Emotes. Enter the game world for the first time, here's a goddamn Epic tier spear that's like 8x more powerful than your starter weapon. Need to have your friends around? We added the bodyguard system!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Policenaut posted:

I finally decided to pick up DW9 now that it's $20 CAD used and the patch notes are a hilarious laundry list of "we added a new system mechanic, enjoy!"

Get past the main menu, get slammed with a notification about Emotes. Enter the game world for the first time, here's a goddamn Epic tier spear that's like 8x more powerful than your starter weapon. Need to have your friends around? We added the bodyguard system!

Question that everyone nervously wonders: After 8 billion patches, is it actually any fun?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I thought it was fun when it came out, so... yes? It's even better now.

Archers are assholes now, just like the old games. The most dangerous enemy is an archer in a tower.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The trial version also gets all those updates (mostly because I think you can use it to co-op with a friend or something like that). It's definitely still different, and maybe not the evolutionary path the series wants to continue down, but it's fun IMHO.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

mikeycp posted:

and what's the issue with this?

Oh I'm just asking. I've never played any of them or seen an LP of 1 & 2 so if there were good characters in there I have no idea.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I did a long effort post awhile back when the trial came out and now I feel the game's a little better but it still feels so weird. I'm having fun with it, like I enjoy the new Reactive combat system with all the flowing launch/stun/ground pound add-ons and the open world fan in me loves going around exploring and collecting chests and the like, but this doesn't feel like a main DW game. It feels like a weird Empires-like offshoot that somehow stumbled into the main series and everything's kind of off.

The presentation is worse than some PS1 games I've played, like the cutscene direction is the video game equivalent of a children's stage play with people just walking in from stage left or a cutscene between 2 characters ends and a new one starts up in the exact same place but the camera is slightly zoomed out more and more characters are present because they didn't know how to get all of them naturally into the scene. There's very few (so far I'm only on Wei Chapter 3) actual cutscenes that aren't flat dialogue sequences with a rotating camera. There's so many little foibles that I can't believe made it through. Like the game's dialogue boxes have no drop shadow, so the white text often starts to blend in with the generally bright daytime environments making it hard for me to read the text, and when I'm playing the game with Chinese voice acting it can be hard for me to tell what's actually happening. I'm playing through Wei with Cao Cao, and after the tutorial you unlock most of the Wei kingdom, and they celebrate each character unlock with a display of the character's artwork and the little DW theme riff but you unlock 25 characters after the tutorial so you have to sit through 25 of these in a row.

It's kind of frustrating to play this game, not because of anything related to the game itself but rather that it feels like yet another missed mark on Tecmo Koei's seemingly endless attempts of bridging the gap between their historical simulation and musou series'. Omega Force has been fiddling with the idea of merging ROTK/NA with Dynasty/Samurai Warriors for years now and they always misfire on something and don't go far enough to really sell it. I'm picturing DW9 being like the Officer mode of a really big ROTK game, like maybe in town you've got something akin to SW3E's Castle Town or Nobunaga's Ambition: Ascension's Town that you build and issue orders from and when battles happen you can go to the main world and fight in person (or let the computer do it offscreen) but I don't think DW9's format works as a main series game. The world is impressive in that they built this huge Chinese map to explore, but it's robbed it of all the identity that old DW stages used to have. Hu Lao Gate doesn't really feel that impressive, Luo Yang just looks like any other big city, so much of the environs just look samey and bland which is a pitfall of many open world games.

As I said I'm enjoying it for what it is but I think KT is right for backing down from this as the future of Musou, but keep it around in the pocket for your spinoffs please?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Policenaut posted:

It's kind of frustrating to play this game, not because of anything related to the game itself but rather that it feels like yet another missed mark on Tecmo Koei's seemingly endless attempts of bridging the gap between their historical simulation and musou series'. Omega Force has been fiddling with the idea of merging ROTK/NA with Dynasty/Samurai Warriors for years now and they always misfire on something and don't go far enough to really sell it.

I really don't understand how can they gently caress up on that point so much.
Just make the exact same poo poo they did with DW8 Empires but make the overworld part more fleshed out, more like their RotK games.

It's hardly rocket surgery. I'd be ALL over that poo poo.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
I dunno, I think part of them dislikes the idea that you could be the worst person ever at logistics and strategy, but because you're literally Lu Bu, you still win.

I mean, I'm personally fine with that. A sort of scaling difficulty(morale) depending on how badly you gently caress up being a ruler. If you're literally 1 guy with no troops, that's pretty much Dynasty Warriors personified. Not really RotK games personified, but they don't need to literally merge the games.

Although I think winning in a Dynasty Warriors game without fighting is amusing in itself. I know one of the Empires games has an achievement like this(something akin to winning with less than 50 KOs or whatever).

Also they wanted to ape Breath of the Wild for some reason and chose to do it with Dynasty Warriors?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just want another Empires game on PC. I'll take anything at this point. :negative:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So what's going on with DW9's weapon DLC, because I'm really confused. I'm thinking of buying the Lightning Sword DLC because Sima Shi is my favorite, it's only five bucks, and the page promotes that it adds the weapon type and moveset to the game along with specialty moves for Sima Shi if he's using one, but I'm just chilling out in Luoyang and they're selling lightning swords and scrolls to craft epic lightning swords.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

NameHurtBrain posted:

I dunno, I think part of them dislikes the idea that you could be the worst person ever at logistics and strategy, but because you're literally Lu Bu, you still win.

I mean, I'm personally fine with that. A sort of scaling difficulty(morale) depending on how badly you gently caress up being a ruler. If you're literally 1 guy with no troops, that's pretty much Dynasty Warriors personified. Not really RotK games personified, but they don't need to literally merge the games.

Although I think winning in a Dynasty Warriors game without fighting is amusing in itself. I know one of the Empires games has an achievement like this(something akin to winning with less than 50 KOs or whatever).

Also they wanted to ape Breath of the Wild for some reason and chose to do it with Dynasty Warriors?

It seems to me they don't want to be seen to be going 'backwards', and that kinda goes back to DW3/4's bodyguards. The generic soldiers have been getting and looking worse and worse.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Policenaut posted:

after the tutorial you unlock most of the Wei kingdom, and they celebrate each character unlock with a display of the character's artwork and the little DW theme riff but you unlock 25 characters after the tutorial so you have to sit through 25 of these in a row.

This is a side effect of a patch due to player backlash/feedback about how long it took to unlock new characters. Before, you had to clear a chapter to unlock characters who first show up in that chapter. People were annoyed with this, so they "made it easier". They clearly didn't bother streamlining that bit after the change, though. I had all but 2 or 3 characters unlocked by the time the change happened (which unlocked them for me), so I never saw this happen.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Policenaut posted:

So what's going on with DW9's weapon DLC, because I'm really confused. I'm thinking of buying the Lightning Sword DLC because Sima Shi is my favorite, it's only five bucks, and the page promotes that it adds the weapon type and moveset to the game along with specialty moves for Sima Shi if he's using one, but I'm just chilling out in Luoyang and they're selling lightning swords and scrolls to craft epic lightning swords.

Weird, DLC weapons shouldn't be available unless you bought them (unless it's something with a very similar name). Buying the DLC gives you immediate access to the weapon you bought in your inventory. Check if the lightning sword you see in the shop has the same moveset as the one in KOEI's weapon spotlight video.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Is the mix-up for best "waifu who slaughters battalions" still an argument between Lu Lingqi and Xingcai?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Is the mix-up for best "waifu who slaughters battalions" still an argument between Lu Lingqi and Xingcai?

Wang Yuanji is pretty up there, I'd say.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

No because it's Wang Yi.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

chumbler posted:

No because it's Wang Yi.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wang Yuanji is about a mile ahead of literally everyone else female-wise, on Zhao Yun tier as far as repping the franchise nowadays.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Tae posted:

Wang Yuanji is about a mile ahead of literally everyone else female-wise, on Zhao Yun tier as far as repping the franchise nowadays.

she's the best, I love her

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Azran posted:

Weird, DLC weapons shouldn't be available unless you bought them (unless it's something with a very similar name). Buying the DLC gives you immediate access to the weapon you bought in your inventory. Check if the lightning sword you see in the shop has the same moveset as the one in KOEI's weapon spotlight video.

I crafted the entry level one and fiddled around with it for a bit after watching the spotlight video and they definitely have different movesets. I took a look at the Koei Wikia and apparently there's a distinction made between Lightning Sword and "Lightning Sword (DLC)" so I guess at some point they added a basic version that doesn't have cool moves shown here just to I dunno answer the complaints that they took weapons out to sell as DLC?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTattSwdRB8

I haven't unlocked any Jins yet but once I unlock Sima Shi I'll drop the fiver.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Azran posted:

chumbler posted:

No because it's Wang Yi.

Absolute loving heresy.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
But actually it's Yueying.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I will burn you all in the flames of my people.

VVVVV Except for this dude VVVVV

Jibo fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 26, 2019

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Azran posted:

chumbler posted:

No because it's Wang Yi.

I'm sorry to say that both of you are wrong because it's actually Zhurong.

Wang Yi is a good choice tho.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

PureRok posted:

But actually it's Yueying.

I would've agreed back when she was wearing proper armor and had a loving badass war scythe. :sigh:

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Keeshhound posted:

I would've agreed back when she was wearing proper armor and had a loving badass war scythe. :sigh:

DW9 Yueying is the best one yet, sorry.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Did they ever patch DW9 into something respectable, or is it still just... DW9?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It fixed a lot of things but if you didn't at least somewhat like it to begin with it's probably not going to change your mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Yeah I tried the trial version on Steam and I don't think I'll buy it even though it's like $20 on PS4.

In other Musou playing, the survival duel mode in WO3U is making me mad at video games. I know how to cheese it with the Hundun card and Lu Bu's C3, but I can't get those 97(?) wins. I've hit 70, then 79.

e: finally got it, Himiko triangle attack is very good at keep-away as well. Threw in the gold Susano'o card too for the extra chance to kill the enemy.

Got all the Mystic Weapons today too, that Dungeon DLC pack is worth the $6 if you want to plat the game.

KingShiro fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 28, 2019