Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Communist Bear posted:

Was always very sad that Rome 2 was a total dud, as it had huge potential and it's a fun period of history.

This is also an SA niche opinion, as evidenced by the sheer amount of DLC, FLC, and fixes Rome II has received. The time period is a licence to print money even if the launch was lackluster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Watching a ton of streams/youtube stuff pushed me from the "i dunno about this one maybe Warhammer ruined me on historicals" to "yeah i'm getting it". The campaign map stuff looks actually fun and interesting instead of dumb cruft to sift through, and the battles remind me of Shogun 2 in a huge way - they're definitely less fancy and varied than Warhammer's battles, but they look really solid and punchy for a historical.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 20, 2019

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Vlex posted:

This is also an SA niche opinion, as evidenced by the sheer amount of DLC, FLC, and fixes Rome II has received. The time period is a licence to print money even if the launch was lackluster.

It's pretty obvious Communist Bear is referring to the quality of Rome 2, not how much money it made. And if you think only people who post on SA were disappointing in it then you're really out of touch.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Shogun 2 was fine but kinda content sparse, especially on release. Play one faction and you've pretty much played it all (DLC excepted). You can see in the later games CA going for a greater diversity of factions, for better and for ill.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Shogun 2 SP was a bit bare, but you had the really great Avatar Conquest as well. Still to date my favourite TW MP experience, even if the balance was horrific :v:

Edit: I'm trying to find the Avatar Conquest menu music, that's been burnt into my memory.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 12:36 on May 20, 2019

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
The arrow fire effect looks way over the top in the videos, with the long white streaks. Hope it can be tweaked.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Vlex posted:

Well also DeI is the greatest mod ever made and - when it works - handily takes the crown from shogun 2 as best historical imo

It's just whether it works and how well varies wildly from update to update and they update fairly frequently.

There was a golden period about a year ago where they'd just added loads of content and then set to optimising it and battle balance was good. I sunk hundreds of hours into it.

Now it's just too goddamn slow to load, I still quite like the battle balance though its not as good as it has been but it runs like poo poo, it really needs to be in a 64bit engine since each battle has several gigs of custom textures in it

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

fuf posted:

The arrow fire effect looks way over the top in the videos, with the long white streaks. Hope it can be tweaked.

Pretty sure it can, the other games have the same thing going on with “arrow trails” so you can see things more clearly at a distance. It’s an option you can turn off.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
shogun 2 owned, me and 3 goons were the #1 in the world at 4v4 for a bit.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I remember I hated the arrow trails and then went back to the games without them and had no idea when I was being shot or who i was shooting at

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I remember I hated the arrow trails and then went back to the games without them and had no idea when I was being shot or who i was shooting at

Same. They seem like dumb ugly visual clutter but they're immensely useful for determining what ranged troops are actually attacking so you can either confirm they're attacking the right target(if they're yours) or respond appropriately(if they're the enemy's).

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The addition of range boxes almost justifies Empire's existence.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Avatar Conquest is the only time I've enjoyed TW multiplayer aside from co-op campaigns.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
post-launch plans:

quote:

We’re taking a slightly different approach to DLC for TW3K; based both on the exciting opportunities the Romance of the Three Kingdoms source material offers us and the preference we know players have for larger DLCs which adds considerable new replay.

What you’ll see initially for TW3K DLC are what we are calling ‘Chapter Packs’.

We’ll be taking notable chapters from Romance and creating new start positions that reflect their events. Adding a cast of new and familiar characters, features and objectives each time, that exemplify that chapter and the thrilling stories it tells.

While you’ll find a selection of new heroes and villains populating each new chapter, you’ll also see some familiar faces from the main game. However, they’ll be at a different point in their life, and are likely to have a very different set of needs and desires at this stage in their journey.

In terms of ‘size’ of content, you can expect a Chapter Pack to be somewhere between a Culture Pack and a Campaign Pack. There will be a serious clutch of new playable factions and a raft of new mechanics to get to grips with in each, while you’ll be playing across all of China.

Our hope is that, eventually, when you start a fresh campaign you’ll get to decide where in the epic tale of the Three Kingdoms you want to dive in. Picking from a range of exciting scenarios and challenges that reflect some of the most remarkable legends ever told.

I'm reading the Three Kingdoms now, so this sounds promising.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Also preload in a couple of hours.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

It being already the most pre-ordered TW game ever is pretty impressive from where we were just a couple months back. Good on Sega for allowing them to delay the game again and on CA for apparently using that time extremely well.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

ad090 posted:

Also preload in a couple of hours.

Is there a good chance unlocking the preload would take longer than downloading it? I remember that being the case with TWW1.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Arbite posted:

Is there a good chance unlocking the preload would take longer than downloading it? I remember that being the case with TWW1.

If you're installing it on an SSD it's going to be fine, basically.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

John Charity Spring posted:

If you're installing it on an SSD it's going to be fine, basically.

Sadly no, it's a newer laptop with hdd.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 20, 2019

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
i'm reading the Warlord Legends blog posts and having a hard time decided who to start with. I'm leaning Zheng Jiang, but also Cao Cao? and Kong Rong?

I'm going to be restarting the campaign even more than previous TW games.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I'm all about Horde factions so depending on the mechanics I'll go with bandit woman. But otherwise probably liu bei and his bros

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

No love for fat Dong in this thread. Are there actually any "tyrannical" actions that you can take other than just razing settlements

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Scott Forstall posted:

post-launch plans:

So yah, this is more koei than paradox but that is ok. That worked pretty well for the RTK koei games and dynasty warrior games.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ARG12yFX9c

In this video where he's playing as Kong Rong he thinks there's gonna be an event where Taishi Ci allies with him, but in the end he just ends up killing him in a normal battle. Does anyone know if there really is an event like that and he missed it? Or was he hoping for something that isn't in the game?

If there are events based on the original story / events it makes me think it would be an advantage to know the story (which I don't) because there was no hint in game that he was anything other than a normal enemy general.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

fuf posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ARG12yFX9c

In this video where he's playing as Kong Rong he thinks there's gonna be an event where Taishi Ci allies with him, but in the end he just ends up killing him in a normal battle. Does anyone know if there really is an event like that and he missed it? Or was he hoping for something that isn't in the game?

If there are events based on the original story / events it makes me think it would be an advantage to know the story (which I don't) because there was no hint in game that he was anything other than a normal enemy general.

There actually is, according to this https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-three-kingdoms-warlord-legends-kong-rong/

Scroll down to the initial dilemma

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

No love for fat Dong in this thread. Are there actually any "tyrannical" actions that you can take other than just razing settlements

Nobody in this era has enough bureaucratic presence to run a real secret police. So tyranny comes down to abusing your court, abusing the peasants with taxes, and razing settlements. You can't limit those types of tyranny to Dong Zhou players only. It's a Total War tradition that every faction can mash the maximum taxation button, and every faction is able to be dicks to their own generals.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Is it possible to put the terrible music of Dynasty Warriors in this game. Because I want to feel young again.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Shogun 2 did them the best, I feel. The trails worked just fine and if you zoomed in for kicks, you didn't really see much visual clutter from the trails. The arrows also had a satisfying impact and stuck noticeably out of the ground.

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Well also DeI is the greatest mod ever made and - when it works - handily takes the crown from shogun 2 as best historical imo

It's just whether it works and how well varies wildly from update to update and they update fairly frequently.

There was a golden period about a year ago where they'd just added loads of content and then set to optimising it and battle balance was good. I sunk hundreds of hours into it.

Now it's just too goddamn slow to load, I still quite like the battle balance though its not as good as it has been but it runs like poo poo, it really needs to be in a 64bit engine since each battle has several gigs of custom textures in it

Is there a run-down of just what DEI does in terms of things like population, economy, etc. and how it ties into how I'm supposed to be playing the game? The battles feel better, but I don't really know what I'm supposed to be going for on the campaign map. Any guides I look up either tell me nothing, or tell me what to do without telling me what factors are making me make those choices.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

It looks like the game has trait based events, so cruel characters can do nasty things. It's not unique to the Dong though.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Scott Forstall posted:

This is another idea that the Koei games did, albeit as part of the base game.

E: referring to different start dates.

Also they added horse armor. Game is good again.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 20, 2019

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Theswarms posted:

It looks like the game has trait based events, so cruel characters can do nasty things. It's not unique to the Dong though.

Hmm... As long as I get to behead some dudes I'll be happy

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Plan Z posted:

Shogun 2 did them the best, I feel. The trails worked just fine and if you zoomed in for kicks, you didn't really see much visual clutter from the trails. The arrows also had a satisfying impact and stuck noticeably out of the ground.

Is there a run-down of just what DEI does in terms of things like population, economy, etc. and how it ties into how I'm supposed to be playing the game? The battles feel better, but I don't really know what I'm supposed to be going for on the campaign map. Any guides I look up either tell me nothing, or tell me what to do without telling me what factors are making me make those choices.

I'm not sure of any specific guides that do that, the TWC stuff is pretty out of date and all over the place.

Off the top of my head:

public order is harsher and cities get scaling buffs/debuffs to growth and tax depending on how high or low the total is.
PO also is lowered by having a general with troops in the city, so your armies should be stationed outside of the city. There is a patrol stance that any 3+ unit size army can assume that boosts local PO and reduces upkeep but if you're attacked in it you'll be auto ambushed. PO can also be raised by stationing a general on his own in the city and this also gives them decent passive exp, the political reformer skill line is particularly good for this.
If you can afford the upkeep which you usually can you can solve basically all PO problems by building a yellow line building and sticking solo generals in as many cities as you can.

Your income is multiplied massively by the main province building so rushing tier 3 city tech is almost always the way to go, unless you need to grab barracks tech first. Usually you can sustain one decent stack then you get a huge gravy train when you start to build tier 3 trade cities.
Trade is also pretty strong so grab loads of agreements off of people you don't intend to conquer right away.

Population determines what types of troops you can recruit, Upper class, middle class, lower class and foreigners. Different buildings boost different class growth e.g. Barbarian chief holds boost upper class, fishing wharfs boost lower class.
Different factions handle these classes very differently. Spartans and barbarians rely on their upper warrior classes for their best units and so losses are dramatic. Whereas Rome recruits its soldiers from the ubiquitous plebes and Carthage recruits foreigners as mercs and its own warriors are only so-so.
If you occupy a settlement of your own culture type it'll be full of your normal classes but if you occupy a settlement of another they will all be foreigner class and they'll be pissed generally. So it can sometimes be paradoxically better for PO to just exterminate everyone with raze but then your units won't replenish there for a really long time.
You can also recruit units then move them to another province and disband them to shuttle populations around.

Food and supplies are more important so build food buildings too. There is a supply system where each province has a certain fertility value that is a multiplier for farms and this can be exhausted if multiple armies hang out in your provinces. I've been starved out by my own allies hanging around a couple times but this seems to have been mostly nerfed to the point of not mattering as long as you have a food building or two in any provinces where armies are gonna chill.
You DO need a supply boat if you want to shuttle armies by sea though and ships need to dock before they start starving after a while, it'll tell you how many turns on their unit card.

Sanitation matters because plagues can be nasty and are contagious, though sometimes this helps, I once had Egypt invade my undefended African provinces then all succumb to plague off my dying general since I'd forgot to build any sanitation.

Empire maintenance debuffs your income as you expand but you can deal with it via political reformer spexced generals, red line governors and fountains for some reason.

I've found the priority for your provinces is:
1) build a barracks, maybe 2 if you're playing as a faction that splits them like Rome or a cavalry faction.
2) build a farm or fishing port
3) build a PO building but you can immediately boost PO through patrolling small armies and Lone generals in settlements so it can wait til after step 1 and 2
4) build sanitation/growth. Either fountains for civilised factions or toilets for barbarians. In fact toilets occupy both 3 and 4 for barbs, toilets let you conquer the world.
5) build raw income buildings where you get trade goods.
6) build a library if you have space, stacking research speed works wonders over a large empire

E: also some additional advice on the above

AFAIK you can only build libraries and fountains in your major settlements, and farms only in your minors.
So I prioritise building a farm in any minors without a trade good and try to save a space in each minor with a trade good for later exploitation.
Also only upgrade minor settlements when you know you have the food for it or they give you something good. For example grain villages give you food rather than costing it and silk or gold producing villages will poo poo money even off of just the main building

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 20, 2019

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Hmm... As long as I get to behead some dudes I'll be happy

You have a chance to capture enemy generals from armies you have defeated and you can either hire, ransom, or execute them.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
My buddy is gonna unlock dong zhuo before I get off work and we're gonna do a multiplayer campaign where he's Dong Zhuo and I'm Ma Teng. Really looking forward to these new backstab mechanics

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
haven't really been following this game but honestly tempted to pre order just so I can rile up the peasantry and slaughter some nobles

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Godspeed, preorder goons.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I'm gonna buy it the day it comes out and pretend like I just made a principled stand against the man

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I'm the Liu Bei of video gaming

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
My brother is getting this for me for my birthday.

We both grew up playing Koei games and Dynasty Warriors 2 is the first game I can remember playing. I didn't even know what a meat bun was when we first got it.

There's nothing really to remark about. I just wanted to write this down because it reminds me of a time when I had fun with games and my family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Josef bugman posted:

My brother is getting this for me for my birthday.

We both grew up playing Koei games and Dynasty Warriors 2 is the first game I can remember playing. I didn't even know what a meat bun was when we first got it.

There's nothing really to remark about. I just wanted to write this down because it reminds me of a time when I had fun with games and my family.

agreed