Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

"Adequate public transit," is a huge stretch my dude, and I don't think there's a lot of overlap between the "we need more bike lanes and bus options" and "why are you taking away my lanes" crowds.

We can absolutely target the 2 tonne SUV soy latte (this feels worn out, is cold brew the new wasteful middle class reference?) drivers while building better transit infrastructure, without demonizing the working-class healthy people who need a car to reliably get to their lovely jobs. Once the options are in place and proven reliable, then you can start in on converting that demographic (probably through recreational access first to convince them its a valid option for work).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah sorry my "half of drivers" estimate comes from a super urban perspective, that probably doesn't pan out for the rest of Canada.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

I really wish I could, I already live a 30 minute drive from my work place (of which I need my husband to drive me because of stupid drive test snafu poo poo resulting in no license for me) and public transit stops a good way out from it. So neither biking no busing are viable, though I have considered doing both, I have yet to obtain a bike though.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Isn't industry by far the biggest contributor though? Not that we shouldn't reduce personal vehicle usage.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Argas posted:

Isn't industry by far the biggest contributor though? Not that we shouldn't reduce personal vehicle usage.

Woah hold up there buddy we cant go after our benevolent job creators. Gotta squeeze what little is left out of the middle and lower class first.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Furnaceface posted:

Woah hold up there buddy we cant go after our benevolent job creators. Gotta squeeze what little is left out of the middle and lower class first.

I think you mean "those trying to join the middle class"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Argas posted:

not really

Maybe you combine oil+gas and "heavy industry", but still not "by far".

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

less than three posted:

I think you mean "those trying to join the middle class"

Not trying, "working hard", big difference.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
lol I was wondering is someone would post @waub's Mayochup tweet.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jehde posted:

Yeah sorry my "half of drivers" estimate comes from a super urban perspective, that probably doesn't pan out for the rest of Canada.

Weird thing though, the rest of Canada doesn't exist outside of urban areas, population wise.

No one likes to hear that, but it's true

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Syfe posted:

I really wish I could, I already live a 30 minute drive from my work place (of which I need my husband to drive me because of stupid drive test snafu poo poo resulting in no license for me) and public transit stops a good way out from it. So neither biking no busing are viable, though I have considered doing both, I have yet to obtain a bike though.

This is why a long while ago we moved out of Calgary, the sprawl, lovely people, everything, I couldn’t do it anymore

We specifically moved to places where we could afford to live and work near/in the downtown area so we could walk more

My parents still to this day ask me how can you live in an apartment!!!!??? How can you raise kids in an apartment!?

One time I asked them how many people they thought lived in New York City and the boroughs and how many families live in apartments they just couldn’t get it

Apparently not owning a house with a yard is child abuse to them and a lot of people regardless that we live biking distance from some amazing hikes and trails

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Pinterest Mom posted:

not really

Is that just Canada? I meant overall.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

If anything given our large oil industry/small population, Canada probably has one of the highest shares of emissions attributable to industry in the world.

If you're thinking of the "just 100 companies responsible for 71% of global emissions" thing that occasionally floats around, that's bullshit. You get that number if you attribute 100% of the ghgs from fossil fuel to the company that extracted the resource from the ground, so that all the emissions from transport etc are blamed on Exxon or Shell or whatever instead of on the people driving.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Pinterest Mom posted:

If anything given our large oil industry/small population, Canada probably has one of the highest shares of emissions attributable to industry in the world.

If you're thinking of the "just 100 companies responsible for 71% of global emissions" thing that occasionally floats around, that's bullshit. You get that number if you attribute 100% of the ghgs from fossil fuel to the company that extracted the resource from the ground, so that all the emissions from transport etc are blamed on Exxon or Shell or whatever instead of on the people driving.

I mean, I do feel like attributing the transportation of poo poo as part of industry to be valid (though still needs to be separated from other industrial processes) but I did not realize things were skewed a bit due to how they classed that.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

not really

I think this is a little misleading because it doesn't provide a breakdown of who's consuming what within these categories, and how you define "industry". I'm pretty sure the poster who said industry is the bulk of emissions didn't mean literal manufacturing, they meant medium and large corporate enterprises, because their complaint was that we're continually blaming individual consumers for their emissions while giving a pass to corporations that are the largest polluters. In this breakdown "heavy industry" obviously counts as industry, and "oil and gas" almost certainly does too. Most of our agriculture is industrial farming, which I would count in that category. You could probably do a breakdown of "buildings" as well, where personal consumption will be contributing a lot in aggregate but the largest individual consumers are almost certainly large enterprises.

Transportation, which is what we've been discussing here, is probably the largest aggregate producer of CO2 emissions by individuals, but even there transportation that I would count as part of industry emissions is still a pretty large share. I haven't been able to find a breakdown by ownership of vehicles, but there are a number of breakdowns by type of vehicle, which I found for both the EU and the US. In both cases, while small vehicles (cars and small vans) are the majority of emissions, there's a substantial chunk on top of that that comes from heavy truck and van traffic, and airplanes. In fact in both those breakdowns light vehicle emissions have been roughly declining since about the mid-2000s (I would guess due to improved fuel efficiency, because it started before the 2008 crash), but truck traffic hasn't, and has been increasing at a faster rate. In the US, while passenger cars and light trucks increased from 967 Tg CO2 equivalent in 1990 to 1106 in 2016, medium and heavy truck traffic increased from 230 to 426--almost doubling, and going from roughly a quarter of small vehicle traffic to over a third.

My guess based on all this would be that "industry" as a concept, i.e. medium and large corporations, are actually responsible for far more emissions than individuals who are heating their homes and driving to work. Of course you can counter that a lot of these emissions are businesses meeting individual demand, growing food for people to eat, shipping in goods for them to buy and offering them flights to vacation destinations. But regardless, the source of those emissions is corporate and industrial rather than individual. And that means that as long as we continue trying to police CO2 emissions by focusing on individuals, shaming people for driving their cars to get to work or heating their homes, but letting corporations do whatever they want, then we will continue to fail at overall reductions in CO2. We absolutely need to reduce individual car use, switch to electric cars, and all that. But we also need to crack down on emissions generated by corporations and industry, and we need to do so fast, because we could all lead perfect carbon-neutral lifestyles at one with nature and it wouldn't make a bit of difference as long as industry is allowed to keep burning oil and coal to produce and transport their goods.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 20, 2019

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Not strictly politics, but does anyone recall or have a link to that gif/video about McDonalds coffee being a part of our history? I think it was somewhere in the bowels of the old thread.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Transportation, which is what we've been discussing here, is probably the largest aggregate producer of CO2 emissions by individuals, but even there transportation that I would count as part of industry emissions is still a pretty large share. I haven't been able to find a breakdown by ownership of vehicles, but there are a number of breakdowns by type of vehicle, which I found for both the EU and the US. In both cases, while small vehicles (cars and small vans) are the majority of emissions, there's a substantial chunk on top of that that comes from heavy truck and van traffic, and airplanes. In fact in both those breakdowns light vehicle emissions have been roughly declining since about the mid-2000s (I would guess due to improved fuel efficiency, because it started before the 2008 crash), but truck traffic hasn't, and has been increasing at a faster rate. In the US, while passenger cars and light trucks increased from 967 Tg CO2 equivalent in 1990 to 1106 in 2016, medium and heavy truck traffic increased from 230 to 426--almost doubling, and going from roughly a quarter of small vehicle traffic to over a third.

EC has the equivalent breakdown for Canada, and the levels/trends are similar.

quote:

My guess based on all this would be that "industry" as a concept, i.e. medium and large corporations, are actually responsible for far more emissions than individuals who are heating their homes and driving to work. Of course you can counter that a lot of these emissions are businesses meeting individual demand, growing food for people to eat, shipping in goods for them to buy and offering them flights to vacation destinations. But regardless, the source of those emissions is corporate and industrial rather than individual. And that means that as long as we continue trying to police CO2 emissions by focusing on individuals, shaming people for driving their cars to get to work or heating their homes, but letting corporations do whatever they want, then we will continue to fail at overall reductions in CO2. We absolutely need to reduce individual car use, switch to electric cars, and all that. But we also need to crack down on emissions generated by corporations and industry, and we need to do so fast, because we could all lead perfect carbon-neutral lifestyles at one with nature and it wouldn't make a bit of difference as long as industry is allowed to keep burning oil and coal to produce and transport their goods.

I feel like that's a false dichotomy, but yes of course the solution isn't individual action. Nothing's getting solved by taking the one-tonne challenge or whatever and we need to radically transform our society and economy. Tackling freight transport in a serious way doesn't just mean that "industry" needs to change, it probably also means that Loblaws needs to change its product mix and Amazon packages take five days to arrive instead of two and a lot of conveniences we take for granted have to change.

I do think it's important to push back against the "71% of emissions - 100 companies" number because I feel like it's often wielded to mean "climate change is something that *the corporations* do", and I think that really obscures the scale of the challenge and the fact that we have to collectively make a decision to change how we live, not just keep living our lives as they are while cracking down on the corporations that are responsible.

(This is kinda dunking on a rando but this is literally the most recent twitter search result for "71%, corporations" and is illustrative of the discourse I think: https://twitter.com/marvelsoup/status/1130331837128163335 )

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
While I do try to encourage my peeps to use accurate data to inform their perception and ignore conspiracy theory-esque thinking, if that's what gets them to accept that the rich are their enemies then fine good enough

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Albino Squirrel posted:

Not strictly politics, but does anyone recall or have a link to that gif/video about McDonalds coffee being a part of our history? I think it was somewhere in the bowels of the old thread.

http://i.imgur.com/B17sFKi.gifv

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

loving :laffo:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

lmao holy gently caress

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Pinterest Mom posted:

EC has the equivalent breakdown for Canada, and the levels/trends are similar.

I feel like that's a false dichotomy, but yes of course the solution isn't individual action. Nothing's getting solved by taking the one-tonne challenge or whatever and we need to radically transform our society and economy. Tackling freight transport in a serious way doesn't just mean that "industry" needs to change, it probably also means that Loblaws needs to change its product mix and Amazon packages take five days to arrive instead of two and a lot of conveniences we take for granted have to change.

I do think it's important to push back against the "71% of emissions - 100 companies" number because I feel like it's often wielded to mean "climate change is something that *the corporations* do", and I think that really obscures the scale of the challenge and the fact that we have to collectively make a decision to change how we live, not just keep living our lives as they are while cracking down on the corporations that are responsible.

(This is kinda dunking on a rando but this is literally the most recent twitter search result for "71%, corporations" and is illustrative of the discourse I think: https://twitter.com/marvelsoup/status/1130331837128163335 )

lol the truck section

gently caress everyone with a truck

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RBC posted:

lol the truck section

But you need a pickup truck to do work.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RBC posted:

lol the truck section

Light trucks as a vehicle class presumably includes all SUVs, all minivans, most CUVs. In absolute numbers there are quite possibly more of these on the road than "cars" by now anyway, making emissions roughly proportionate.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

James Baud posted:

Light trucks as a vehicle class presumably includes all SUVs, all minivans, most CUVs. In absolute numbers there are quite possibly more of these on the road than "cars" by now anyway, making emissions roughly proportionate.

According to the source the category includes "trucks, vans and sport utility vehicles".

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
My parkade-neighbour has bought a RAM that is so large it does not fit in his parking space properly length- or width-wise. In a downtown Calgary condo. I assume his penis length can be most appropriately measured in angstroms.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

PT6A posted:

My parkade-neighbour has bought a RAM that is so large it does not fit in his parking space properly length- or width-wise. In a downtown Calgary condo. I assume his penis length can be most appropriately measured in angstroms.

If I had a 1L Fiesta you could see it from the Moon.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Guess who's libbing?

https://twitter.com/james_m_wilt/status/1130553514965516288

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Who needs a source of clean freshwater anyway? That poo poo's unlimited and it's not like people are buying it.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

SilverMike posted:

Who needs a source of clean freshwater anyway? That poo poo's unlimited and it's not like people are buying it.
Heavy metal poisoning isn’t actually a concern in Alberta because everyone is already brain damaged.

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.
how is this legal

The sentence makes no loving sense and the Os in 0NTARI0 are zeroes, while OUR has a regular O.
Doug Ford is literally using typography to trick idiots into believing the debt is 10 trillion dollars.

Angela Lansburial fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 21, 2019

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
lol that is so loving weird.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
I too think we should protect the debt :downsgun:

Unrelated: cool thread https://twitter.com/Colettod/status/1130552113916981256?s=19

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

I too think we should protect the debt :downsgun:

Unrelated: cool thread https://twitter.com/Colettod/status/1130552113916981256?s=19

They really need a brief description of what each of those groups represent. Are left-cosmopolitans neo-liberals? Are right-populists incels, alt-right or religious? How do they differ from the conservatives? Is the classic liberal based on the current federal government or is it the Jordan Peterson 18th century definition of it?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Entorwellian posted:

They really need a brief description of what each of those groups represent. Are left-cosmopolitans neo-liberals? Are right-populists incels, alt-right or religious? How do they differ from the conservatives? Is the classic liberal based on the current federal government or is it the Jordan Peterson 18th century definition of it?

The questions you're asking don't really fit what he's doing here. He took a poll and asked a bunch of people about their policy preferences and used statistical techniques to group them into five groups in order to minimise differences/have "similar" people in each group. (He doesn't say if the number five was preordained or if he constrained the groups to be of roughly equal sizes)

He let the algorithm create the groups, and the names are the ones he's giving based on the responses of each group. There's no actual ideological rigour here, it's just all a spitballing exercise.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
He's got a PhD in Political Science so

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

incontinence 100 posted:

He's got a PhD in Political Science so

There's probably like 50 arbitrary choices in method that he might or might not have made to arrive at those groupings, any of those choices may or may not be important in determining the groupings he came up with, and there's no transparency in any of his choices or in showing how cogent his groupings actually are :shrug:

It's probably just fancy astrology

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Somewhere, Eric Grenier has the weirdest boner

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pinterest Mom posted:

There's probably like 50 arbitrary choices in method that he might or might not have made to arrive at those groupings, any of those choices may or may not be important in determining the groupings he came up with, and there's no transparency in any of his choices or in showing how cogent his groupings actually are :shrug:

It's probably just fancy astrology

I don't actually think PhDs in Poli Sci are worth much. I'm on your side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I want to the grocery store today and my bill was $14.88.

I'm now questioning my life choices.