Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My gloves always smell like death, but I've been using the same pair of Warriors for probably 3-4 years now with no holes in the palms or anything. They're the most durable gloves I've ever owned, even way better than my Eagles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Eagle has stopped manufacturing goat leather palms. I am gutted.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Unlike some lucky goats.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Had a game against a team last night that is notoriously chippy and there's almost always an incident with them anytime we play. I don't get a lot of penalties, maybe one or two minor penalties per 22 game season. I also don't have much of a temper and if I have anything like a super power, its tolerance for assholes. I don't like them but they don't generally get under my skin. I'm usually joking around with everybody and trying to keep things fun and light. Hockey is my fun time hobby. I dont go just to get pissed off and carry all that anger around with me. It takes a lot for me to snap.

In the past and all from the same guy, I've won a faceoff against this guy who tried going between my legs and getting behind me, when I skated away he slashes me in the nuts with his stick. In an outdoor tournament, I was forechecking him following him behind his net, as we go to round the back of the net, he slows and elbows my head right into the back bar of the net. He also likes to skate up to opponents and try to make them flinch. And boy does he like to slash. He's a great player (skill wise) so he knows when to do things and how to get away with a lot. He's fast, good hands, good shot but just a complete rear end in a top hat of a guy.

Last night, their goalie made a great cross crease full splits save and I told him "Holy poo poo, that was a beautiful save, nice job" to which he responds "Thanks man". Their rear end in a top hat guy skates over and tells me to shut the gently caress up, then asks the goalie "what did he say to you?" "Oh, he said nice stop ... "

Later on, I'm coming up the boards and chip the puck past their defenseman who then tries to interfere with my progress towards the puck, I stiff arm the defenseman who falls over screaming for a penalty and get to the puck which I then cut in towards the goalie on my back hand. Historical rear end in a top hat guy skates in trying to cut off my lane to the goalie. He comes in on a sliding knee to block my shot. I get the backhand off and my stick hits him in the helmet. I'm positive my stick hit the top of his helmet and that was about it. Whistle blows and he goes down screaming like I just cut his nose off. He's screaming at the top of his lungs and writhing in pain. I skate over to him and take a knee asking if he's okay offering him a hand up if he needs it, he gets up and punches me straight in the face. My arms were dropped to my side so it was completely sucker punched although I probably should have seen it coming. It didn't even make me flinch and I just kept standing there because it kind of confused me. The ref is a stick length away and calls a penalty on him. 2 minutes for roughing. He threatens everyone on our team that he's going to gently caress us up and take us out. He tells me to watch my back and he's coming for me. He's in the box absolutely losing his mind. I'm not entirely sure if the guy is just mental or what or trying to play some sort of mental game and draw penalties but either way its so much more effort than beer league should ever be.

I wear a cage so it didn't do much other than a sore jaw this morning.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Break his stick

after you break his arm

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Weak rear end sucker punch if you didn’t fall down and remained in place

some dude came up to me after pickup last night in the handshake line and told me to quit turning into a pylon when he had the puck because he will never get better if I do that. I had a few p nice goals and he’s pretty awful (and also named Todd or something stupid) but I was flabbergasted at how self centered one must be to think that it’s my job to change how I am playing so he, specifically, can get better. He’s so irrelevant I cannot even think of when he touched the puck.

I’m also not sure how he’s going to get better when he doesn’t touch the puck but next week Todd gets what Todd wants I suppose. Then we will have a teaching moment where I explain how to get better at his skill level is all within him and what I choose to do should be the least of his concern. Also that if he scored the easy chances and established himself as any sort of threat I’d take him more seriously.

Hopefully he will leave me alone then.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 16, 2019

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'

Verman posted:

Had a game against a team last night that is notoriously chippy and there's almost always an incident with them anytime we play. I don't get a lot of penalties, maybe one or two minor penalties per 22 game season. I also don't have much of a temper and if I have anything like a super power, its tolerance for assholes. I don't like them but they don't generally get under my skin. I'm usually joking around with everybody and trying to keep things fun and light. Hockey is my fun time hobby. I dont go just to get pissed off and carry all that anger around with me. It takes a lot for me to snap.

In the past and all from the same guy, I've won a faceoff against this guy who tried going between my legs and getting behind me, when I skated away he slashes me in the nuts with his stick. In an outdoor tournament, I was forechecking him following him behind his net, as we go to round the back of the net, he slows and elbows my head right into the back bar of the net. He also likes to skate up to opponents and try to make them flinch. And boy does he like to slash. He's a great player (skill wise) so he knows when to do things and how to get away with a lot. He's fast, good hands, good shot but just a complete rear end in a top hat of a guy.

Last night, their goalie made a great cross crease full splits save and I told him "Holy poo poo, that was a beautiful save, nice job" to which he responds "Thanks man". Their rear end in a top hat guy skates over and tells me to shut the gently caress up, then asks the goalie "what did he say to you?" "Oh, he said nice stop ... "

Later on, I'm coming up the boards and chip the puck past their defenseman who then tries to interfere with my progress towards the puck, I stiff arm the defenseman who falls over screaming for a penalty and get to the puck which I then cut in towards the goalie on my back hand. Historical rear end in a top hat guy skates in trying to cut off my lane to the goalie. He comes in on a sliding knee to block my shot. I get the backhand off and my stick hits him in the helmet. I'm positive my stick hit the top of his helmet and that was about it. Whistle blows and he goes down screaming like I just cut his nose off. He's screaming at the top of his lungs and writhing in pain. I skate over to him and take a knee asking if he's okay offering him a hand up if he needs it, he gets up and punches me straight in the face. My arms were dropped to my side so it was completely sucker punched although I probably should have seen it coming. It didn't even make me flinch and I just kept standing there because it kind of confused me. The ref is a stick length away and calls a penalty on him. 2 minutes for roughing. He threatens everyone on our team that he's going to gently caress us up and take us out. He tells me to watch my back and he's coming for me. He's in the box absolutely losing his mind. I'm not entirely sure if the guy is just mental or what or trying to play some sort of mental game and draw penalties but either way its so much more effort than beer league should ever be.

I wear a cage so it didn't do much other than a sore jaw this morning.

You're in the Seattle area? There is a thread over at HF about a dude who sounds like he fits the bill with what you're talking about. Sounds like a real doucher guy.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I've been talking with a few friends on other teams/leagues about figuring out my happy fun spot since I've been taking the beer leagues too seriously. A better good dude I like agreed to a goalie/skater split in the same league for shits'n'giggles and all we need to do it get it past the league commish as a package deal for the summer time.

I regret to say I've only wished one broken stick since my really bad hot takes, and that was on a teammate that has larger anger and ice-time issues than I do, and he really soured everyone on the team tonight with his antics.

On a high-to-low note, I managed to pull a bad pass behind me between my legs right at the offensive blue line to somehow stay onside, to the amazement of the D man who I heard say "gently caress that's nice stick handling", only to pass it out of the corner to the other team when they said "[name], drop center!" That loving fucker, I've played with him before, and that voice was enough to blind pass to the slot and see I was the only one across the blue line.

Also this same team I'm on laments I'm not in goal because our current goalie is... a bit rough. I know he's legitimately better than I am, he just doesn't have the immediate fire under his rear end like I do when I'm in net for this team, and you kinda have to play perfect an angry for this team. I'm gonna have to disappoint them when I ask to play for someone else summer season in an effort to play around and find the fun again.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Green helmet on the Chinooks?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Bradf0rd posted:

Green helmet on the Chinooks?

Thats the right team, don't recall his helmet or his number at the moment. I'm convinced the guy thinks I'm someone else who he has a prior grudge against or maybe he's just that hot headed with everybody. If he's intentionally playing the Sean Avery role then he's doing a good job because he nearly started a team brawl. My teammates were fuming and I just told them to keep their cool and keep their heads on a swivel.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Speaking of super angry people, new guy on our team last night was getting Real Mad that we weren't playing to his expected level and slamming the door and yelling things about how we need to do this and that. He calmed down after we won (barely beating a team that hasn't won since 2018), but hoo boy he's in for a season I think.

It wasn't even being aggressive and physical with the other team. Just putting a lot of energy into being very pissed off that we aren't that good. We weren't even losing at any point during the game.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm honestly surprised how I haven't been injured by people losing an edge and crashing into me in the crease. Usually skate first.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

Weak rear end sucker punch if you didn’t fall down and remained in place

some dude came up to me after pickup last night in the handshake line and told me to quit turning into a pylon when he had the puck because he will never get better if I do that. I had a few p nice goals and he’s pretty awful (and also named Todd or something stupid) but I was flabbergasted at how self centered one must be to think that it’s my job to change how I am playing so he, specifically, can get better. He’s so irrelevant I cannot even think of when he touched the puck.

I’m also not sure how he’s going to get better when he doesn’t touch the puck but next week Todd gets what Todd wants I suppose. Then we will have a teaching moment where I explain how to get better at his skill level is all within him and what I choose to do should be the least of his concern. Also that if he scored the easy chances and established himself as any sort of threat I’d take him more seriously.

Hopefully he will leave me alone then.

You know what you need to do. Whenever he gets the puck, just stand in one spot and let him skate by you uncontested.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I guess that’s what I was doing already. I don’t know. It’s pickup. I let the lovely people get shots and handle the puck and I skate hard against the good players who are challenging.

It’s not fun to just rip on bad players constantly.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

I guess that’s what I was doing already. I don’t know. It’s pickup. I let the lovely people get shots and handle the puck and I skate hard against the good players who are challenging.

Yeah I do the same. It's not going to be any fun for those players if I just take the puck from them every time they touch it.

I get annoyed at those idiots in pickup who just constantly go end to end and score against the other team. It's like way to go bro I can do that too but why bother? It's not proving anything to yourself or anyone else, and it can't be fun doing that. Pass the puck and try to get people tap-ins. It's more fun when you involve everyone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Feeding a bro a pass and watching him score is the best part of the game.

Second best is a perfect poke check against a rusher.

Third best is fronting a point shot and getting a breakaway when it bounces to center ice off your shins.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sellouts posted:

Have you tried breaking his stick?

Verman posted:

Thats the right team, don't recall his helmet or his number at the moment. I'm convinced the guy thinks I'm someone else who he has a prior grudge against or maybe he's just that hot headed with everybody. If he's intentionally playing the Sean Avery role then he's doing a good job because he nearly started a team brawl. My teammates were fuming and I just told them to keep their cool and keep their heads on a swivel.

That team is full of hotheads and cheapshot artists. I recall one time their player collided with my d-man unintentionally and they both went down. Their player just started punching one of our guys who instantly turtled...and they both got 5+10 for it. One of their players has gotten penalties called on me in net twice. First time he skated through my stick on the ice while I was crouched down and ready. I didn't let go of the stick and he sold the trip. Second time he got me called for interference. As the puck left the zone and was at center ice, he took a long, wide turn and ran in to me while I was in the crease. I braced for impact and ended up putting my shoulder in to his chest. Whistle goes and next thing I know, I'm getting called for interference.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

If his name really is Todd go easy, he's already having a rough go.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

My league has been massively cutting players who are too good for it this offseason, and my captain was one of the casualties. But the two ringer brothers on the team that's won the championship for the past 3 seasons who just happen to both work for the rink are allowed to stay. :thunk:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
One of the teams has the head ref on it. Surprisingly they have the least amount of PIMs for the entire season.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

calandryll posted:

One of the teams has the head ref on it. Surprisingly they have the least amount of PIMs for the entire season.

He obviously tells his team to play by the rules as an example.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

So apparently my old captain recommended me to be the new captain of our team. I'm pretty well organized and I made a point of getting to know everyone on the team while I was there, but that doesn't change the fact that I have exactly one season of organized hockey under my belt and now I'll have to evaluate and draft players. I'm worried that I'm gonna be in way over my head.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Finding players will be way easier than successfully getting team fees out of people or dealing with telling subs to show up.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Just had my first game of actual hockey in probably 3 years since arriving here in the UK. Supposed to be a B team game but the other team had a shitload of ringers who proceeded to put up 13 of their 15 goals. Thought for a long time I played like utter crap, mostly because i just wasn't feeling it, dunno if it was because it was a hour+ drive to the rink, or being on a new team, or what but I just felt like I had no fuckin energy.

But scoring goals will do a lot to endear you to your new team, and I managed to get in two fairly decent goals from the point and suddenly everyone was a lot happier about my play.

Also I have to thank the crap UK market for left-handed sticks for finally making me upgrade from an Iginla curve to an E3 one. I'm finally able to get shots to rise.

I also thought I had seen it all with hockey in FL, but after seeing what happened tonight I'm fuckin astounded. Not only do the refs actually give a poo poo about enforcing icing rules of not being able to go to the bench, when the game is over you do the normal handshakes but you then stand on the blue line and they proceed to proclaim a man of the match from both teams and they're given a case of beer.

Thanks to my team only scoring a grand total of 4 goals in my first game back I got Man of the Match and the game puck.

I'm pretty sure it's all downhill from here.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
That sounds amazing. And Man of the Match should be a thing like the juice boxes and Chewy bars after youth soccer games was a thing.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Habibi posted:

That sounds amazing. And Man of the Match should be a thing like the juice boxes and Chewy bars after youth soccer games was a thing.
Haha yeah, I mean I was just so fuckin confused about the whole thing. Probably would've been a lot more into it if it wasn't already 1:20am and I knew I had an hour drive home.

I also forgot about the thing I thought was the weirdest. They do a whole "Three cheers for <opposite team name>" and everyone literally does "hip-hip-hooray!" three times.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

calandryll posted:

We added the head ref our team a few years back. He’s old and slow, but talks the other refs out of penalties all the time and points out when they gently caress up. It’s great.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Habibi posted:

Our team's VIP prize is a snickers bar. The same one, for over a year now.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

After freaking out all night over being chosen as the new captain of our team, I'm feeling a lot better about it this morning after realizing the old captain chose me over everyone else for a reason. So I will do my best to live up to his expectations. :unsmith:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

you’re the biggest sucker on the team

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Our team's VIP prize is a snickers bar. The same one, for over a year now.

One of my old teams had a WWE Champions Belt for player of the game.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I made our teams mvp out of a thick stainless chain and I spray painted a puck gold glitter with an "R" made out of screws. Its ghetto as gently caress.

It was meant to be a placeholder but its pretty well revered now.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

real_scud posted:

Haha yeah, I mean I was just so fuckin confused about the whole thing...

I also forgot about the thing I thought was the weirdest. They do a whole "Three cheers for <opposite team name>" and everyone literally does "hip-hip-hooray!" three times.

Those are all normal post rugby match rituals. It's quaint that the Brits have carried them over to hockey. One difference is after rugby the opposite team gets three cheers, and the ref gets one. You can tell a lot about the ref's performance by how enthusiastic the ref's cheer is.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Stitecin posted:

Those are all normal post rugby match rituals. It's quaint that the Brits have carried them over to hockey. One difference is after rugby the opposite team gets three cheers, and the ref gets one. You can tell a lot about the ref's performance by how enthusiastic the ref's cheer is.
Guess it's yet another difference between US/UK things because during my wife's time playing women's rugby and then also watching the mens game, I never saw anything like that after their games. It's honestly closest to what I saw for her roller derby games in the states where they have teams pick their best pivot/jammer/MVP for the other team.

I was just really glad in the end that I got warned about all of these new to me post match rituals so I was somewhat prepared for them.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Sellouts or otherwise, I need an skate on the Ice in LA this week before I go to Phoenix Thursday. I was supposed to skate up here on wednesday but I have to leave tomorrow for LA early for a bit of work this week, I've only played roller this month and I need to get my ice legs back before then, HELP.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The Tuesday skate is about 6 levels below you and is full with waiting list currently :(

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

real_scud posted:

Guess it's yet another difference between US/UK things because during my wife's time playing women's rugby and then also watching the mens game, I never saw anything like that after their games. It's honestly closest to what I saw for her roller derby games in the states where they have teams pick their best pivot/jammer/MVP for the other team.

I was just really glad in the end that I got warned about all of these new to me post match rituals so I was somewhat prepared for them.

I have only played mens club rugby in California (and through the regional and national tournaments) but we've always cheered the competition and the ref and announced a man of the match (at the social not on the pitch).

It's cool that you're getting the chance to play there, and the differences between the sporting culture there versus here is really interesting.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

The Tuesday skate is about 6 levels below you and is full with waiting list currently :(

Anyway to maybe put my name down in case? I don’t need a high level skate, just need to get my skates under me again before next weekend

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

D C posted:

Anyway to maybe put my name down in case? I don’t need a high level skate, just need to get my skates under me again before next weekend

Yeah but you’ve got no shot. 8 in front of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
you can come skate with us in Kansas City! they don't charge us and it is a really good skate