Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

it'd be cool if we came up with a way to move an insane number of people out of harms way quick, because that's probably gonna be a problem that keeps coming up

in my wildest fantasyland scenario we'd appropriate every aircraft carrier, cargo plane, container and cruise ship and dedicate them to getting people out of places where they'll die

but even if you could get everyone to a habitable place they'd still be in danger from chuds who're mad about Those Fuckers getting Our poo poo, and why travel somewhere else to become a genocide victim if you can be genocided at home?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
it's been unseasonably cold in Europe. It snowed in a couple of countries the other day

feels like october

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

twoday posted:

it's been unseasonably cold in Europe. It snowed in a couple of countries the other day

feels like october

Whereas here in Iceland, it's been sunny enough I've worn shorts the last 3 days. Way too early for this even if it's welcome.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

twoday posted:

feels like october

it's been raining for two days already in colorado, snowing up in the rockies, and will snow in Denver tomorrow. great stuff

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

twoday posted:

feels like october

It's gonna be great when the Gulf stream collapses

twoday
May 4, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's gonna be great when the Gulf stream collapses

:pray:

I'd rather die like Jack Nicholson at the end of the Shining than have to deal with a repeat of last summer

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/NHC_Atlantic/status/1129435391596027906

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JUCfX1P1ik

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

uh oh

hope fema starts existing again soon

twoday
May 4, 2005

Jeff is on the case

https://twitter.com/Jeff_Piotrowski/status/1130523804541890560?s=19

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Buckle your seatbelts, DEATHSTORM approaches:

https://twitter.com/NWStornado/status/1130542725038608386
https://twitter.com/NWSSPC/status/1130542973060562946
https://twitter.com/oklahomachaser/status/1130544138913558528

Hail size in inches, here's what hail anywhere in the blue zone does when it hits water:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvfxUdV8sZw&t=45s

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the weather channel really wants to start naming tornadoes don't they

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
uhhh

mommy why is god throwing rocks at oklahoma

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Addamere posted:

uhhh

mommy why is god throwing rocks at oklahoma

Oklahoma was asking for it

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

ahhh yeah the best part after a good hail storm is the silent hill death fog

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7Fjj2Y_Bu4

Jeff is streaming again.

twoday
May 4, 2005

:munch:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

on an earlier jeff thing he was talking about having called the governor to ask that he make the toll roads free, and then he gestured all over the state of OK on his map saying like all these roads are toll roads and he doesn't want people getting stuck at toll gate traffic while a tornado might be barreling down on them

I knew OK boned its finances, but how wide spread are toll roads there as a way to raise pennies??

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bulgakov posted:

on an earlier jeff thing he was talking about having called the governor to ask that he make the toll roads free, and then he gestured all over the state of OK on his map saying like all these roads are toll roads and he doesn't want people getting stuck at toll gate traffic while a tornado might be barreling down on them

I knew OK boned its finances, but how wide spread are toll roads there as a way to raise pennies??

they're extremely popular because it's taking a public resource and turning it into private profit

Indiana keeps trying to ram mass tolling through, basically every highway in the state except mysteriously not the really busy bit that most of the affluent suburban people take into and out of the city

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

it makes complete sense they'd exist but I hadn't thought about it

:stoked:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bulgakov posted:

it makes complete sense they'd exist but I hadn't thought about it

:stoked:

They really don't like Tulsa do they?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

They really don't like Tulsa do they?

but then again, who does?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Feranon posted:

ahhh yeah the best part after a good hail storm is the silent hill death fog

i'm getting confirmation that a psionic howl from the mysterious fog has shattered the minds of some in the locale, folks this will be a storm for the ages

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

folks Tin'ok the Ice Titan has emerged from the fog and issued a challenge to the entire state of oklahoma: defeat him in single combat or perish

real banger of a storm jim

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

looking at Zillow to see if that map tracks to the affluent white suburbs like the proposed plan in Indiana does and all I can say is holy hell, Tulsa is midwest levels of egregiously redlining. In retrospect I guess that's not terribly surprising considering the local government's history re: black people having nice things

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wasnt it in oklahoma where that upscale "black wall street" neighbourhood got firebombed

twoday
May 4, 2005

jeff is now 25 miles north of Altus in SW OK driving directly into the death zone, I think he said he is going to shut down the youtube stream for now, and restart it in 15 minutes, and in 45 minutes to an hour will be in another death zone if the first one isn't cool

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twoday posted:

jeff is now 25 miles north of Altus in SW OK driving directly into the death zone, I think he said he is going to shut down the youtube stream for now, and restart it in 15 minutes, and in 45 minutes to an hour will be in another death zone if the first one isn't cool

this man is insane and i love him

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

they're extremely popular because it's taking a public resource and turning it into private profit

Indiana keeps trying to ram mass tolling through, basically every highway in the state except mysteriously not the really busy bit that most of the affluent suburban people take into and out of the city

Isn't that already toll? Or am I thinking of just the Illinois part?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Isn't that already toll? Or am I thinking of just the Illinois part?

It varies

in Indiana the toll road setup was especially egregious and as a result got shouted down, they're probably gonna try to ram it through again soon anyway

Addamere posted:

wasnt it in oklahoma where that upscale "black wall street" neighbourhood got firebombed

yep, in Tulsa

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

twoday posted:

if that 4+ inches of hail map is true id love to see it

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

cant have a poll tax so lets have a toll tax

twoday
May 4, 2005

Addamere posted:

yes, Tulsa is a name that should live in infamy

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
god why people are so lovely

twoday
May 4, 2005

Oklahoma is also the place where they deported all of the native Americans from the east coast during the trail of tears

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Addamere posted:

god why people are so lovely

they committed the worst Jim Crow era crime possible - having a healthy local economy marginally independent of white exploitation

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

Yinlock posted:

folks Tin'ok the Ice Titan has emerged from the fog and issued a challenge to the entire state of oklahoma: defeat him in single combat or perish

real banger of a storm jim

we believe in u tin'ok~ :swoon:

twoday
May 4, 2005

Jeff is currently in the Kiowa-Comanche-Apache Tribal Jurisdiction Area, I believe

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

twoday posted:

Jeff is currently in the Kiowa-Comanche-Apache Tribal Jurisdiction Area, I believe

yeah, oklahoma is heavily native which is why it's a hellish badland

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
delaware is invading oklahoma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

Al! posted:

yeah, oklahoma is heavily native which is why it's a hellish badland

fun fact, 2/3 of OK is treated as a tribal reservation for tax purposes, even though the nations there have been stripped of their power. However, they are given financial incentives that encourage them to work as defense contractors for the DoD, and other policies have been put in place to make sure that this remains a steady industry

quote:

Most former Indian reservations in Oklahoma were dissolved in preparation for Oklahoma's admission as a state in the early twentieth century. Prior to this, both Oklahoma Territory and Indian Territory contained suzerain Indian nations that had legally established boundaries. The US Federal government broke up collective tribal landholdings through the allotment process before the establishment of Oklahoma as a state in 1907. Tribal jurisdictional areas replaced the tribal governments,

In 1998 the IRS issued Notice 98-45 which established the boundaries of the Former Indian Reservations in Oklahoma. For tax purposes, current and former lands owned by Indian tribes are treated as if they are an Indian reservation, regardless of current ownership. Approximately 2/3 of the State of Oklahoma is treated as if it were an Indian reservation for tax purposes.

A HUBZone is a Small Business Admnistration program that provides incentives for companies to locate and employ people in Historically Underutilized Business Zones. In addition to income criteria, any lands within the external boundaries of a Federally Recognized Indian Reservation, or a former Indian reservation in Oklahoma is included. Government agencies are required to spend at least 3% of their budgets with prime contractors located in HUBZones.

Department of Defense Indian Incentive
The Department of Defense (DoD) Indian Incentive Program, part of the Office of Small Business, provides a 5% rebate to a prime contractor, based on the total amount subcontracted to an Indian-Owned Economic Enterprise or Indian Organization. To qualify, the organization must be at least 51% owned by an entity (or tribal member) of a federally recognized tribe.