Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoner Sloth

hamjobs posted:

Bean is the best good because yes it does the thing while you Jack off or whatever but also add rice and Bam complete loving protein

It's basically a perfect food

:agreed: bean is good.

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Jack and the Bean Off

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Olive! posted:

Jack and the Bean Off

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Gonna make a round of nutloaf au poive because I'm experimenting with mushroom + ground veg + ground nuts for a meatball/meatloaf alternative. plus it's an excuse to make a cashew, onion, garlic and Sherry peppercorn sauce.

Stoner Sloth

hamjobs posted:

Gonna make a round of nutloaf au poive because I'm experimenting with mushroom + ground veg + ground nuts for a meatball/meatloaf alternative. plus it's an excuse to make a cashew, onion, garlic and Sherry peppercorn sauce.

sounds pretty good! let us know how it works out cause that sounds like a pretty nice way to make a meatless meatloaf or rissole.

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

cda

by Hand Knit
Is this the longest continuously running thread in byob?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

poverty goat

i just wanna say that this guy knows his waffles

poverty goat

im gonna be up all night making brussels waffle batter for my mom+grandma

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

cda posted:

Is this the longest continuously running thread in byob?

it is my crowning achievement

poverty goat

Behold

Finger Prince

Android Blues posted:

recipe for brown recluse venom pudding:

5 cups apple-walnut flour

2 cups apple-chia flaxseeds (or 1/4 cup dried Chinese Chia Seeds)

4 ounces unsalted butter, melted

1/3 cup almond flour

2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

1 teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon coriander powder

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (or 1 teaspoon curry powder)

1 cup water

1 large egg

juice of 1 lemon In a big mixing bowl combine the flaxseeds, almond flour, butter and the cinnamon, ginger and cumin. Blend into a smooth and silky paste with an immersion blender. Pour into bowls and beat until smooth. Place into the fridge to set. In microwave or on the stove, over a pot of high heat, cook brown recluse venom (not gelatin for this) until very bubbly and slightly brown on top, stirring frequently with a glass whisk. Remove from heat and cool completely.

The best part? The brown recluse venom actually isn't sticky but rather thick, delicious and healthy

Ok so I did it.

Now, this recipe calls for 5 cups of apple-walnut flour, and I don't what to throw that much in the trash, so I halved the recipe for everything. Also, people look at you weird when you ask for apple-chia flaxseeds at the bulk store, so I just went with the dried chia seeds.

First step: gather the ingredients.

In the bowl are the dry ingredients. The apple-walnut flour is made from 2 cups walnut meal and 1/2 cup apple chips blitzed in the blender and sifted through a coarsish seive. You want to be careful blitzing the apples so they break up into dust but not get sticky.*
On the top row you can see the water (that's a full cup, but pretend its a half cup) lemon juice, spices, egg, and crystallized brown recluse venom. I don't live in Australia, so I can't get the fresh stuff.

Ready to cut in the butter. I also added the spices and ginger at this point. I cut it in with a spatula and my hands. You have to do it with your hands.
I didn't know at what point to add the egg, so added it at this point.
Blending was a bit of a disaster. I don't own an immersion blender, and your essentially making walnut butter at this step point. Definitely use an immersion blender.**

After blending at getting as much of the blended paste I could out of the blender, you end up with 3 muffin tins worth. Plenty. This is ready to go in the fridge for an hour!

Time to cook up the brown recluse venom!
This is where you use the water and lemon juice***

That's looking about right!

So since I'm making this poo poo up as I go, I figured I would try something fancy I read while doing my research.
First, crumple up then smooth out a piece of parchment on a baking sheet.
Next, spread some poison around on it. I used some white man's poison I had on my shelf.

Then pour your brown recluse venom reduction down the sheet on an angle. It'll bubble up when it contacts the poison, like so!****
https://i.imgur.com/Glyx7pK.gifv

Since I only got a couple of good bubbly bits out of that experiment, I poured the rest of the venom onto the chilled puddings and put some chunks of the hardened mess (not pictured) on top, and put in the oven at 375f for about half an hour.

Here's one we made earlier!

Ta da!

Verdict: surprisingly edible! I ate about half of one. It's still going in the trash though.

---------

Ok so here's what I learned:
*this was an extremely rough guess, but if I was going to do this again, I'd probably experiment with more apple to give it a bit more flavour and possibly better texture? Could end up worse though.

**this is where I screwed things up. Because the dough was so thick, I added both the water and the lemon juice to try to thin it out. However, having tasted the final product, this is definitely not where you add the lemon juice. I think the water also just made things stickier and if I was to do it over, I'd skip the water and hope to get a crumblier cake at the end. The egg? Did it do anything? I guess it helped bind the nut flours together.

***see above. I used 5 tablespoons of crystallized brown recluse venom to 1/2 cup water. For the full recipe use 10tbsp and 1 cup water like what the recipe says. Also mix in the lemon juice here. I hear it helps with the venom recrystallizing.

****don't bother wasting venom with this step, just pour all the venom onto the puddings. It kind of makes a nice crust when you bake it, and you want enough to give it some flavour. If you want a garnish, make it separately.

Stoner Sloth

Very interesting FP, thanks for the update!

Manifisto

Finger Prince posted:

Ok so I did it.

serious props for giving this a go, excellent trip report to boot

another successful byob project!

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

in the sense of nobody dying

I'm pretty sure we can set the bar at least that high

Android Blues

Finger Prince posted:

Ok so I did it.

Now, this recipe calls for 5 cups of apple-walnut flour, and I don't what to throw that much in the trash, so I halved the recipe for everything. Also, people look at you weird when you ask for apple-chia flaxseeds at the bulk store, so I just went with the dried chia seeds.

First step: gather the ingredients.

In the bowl are the dry ingredients. The apple-walnut flour is made from 2 cups walnut meal and 1/2 cup apple chips blitzed in the blender and sifted through a coarsish seive. You want to be careful blitzing the apples so they break up into dust but not get sticky.*
On the top row you can see the water (that's a full cup, but pretend its a half cup) lemon juice, spices, egg, and crystallized brown recluse venom. I don't live in Australia, so I can't get the fresh stuff.

Ready to cut in the butter. I also added the spices and ginger at this point. I cut it in with a spatula and my hands. You have to do it with your hands.
I didn't know at what point to add the egg, so added it at this point.
Blending was a bit of a disaster. I don't own an immersion blender, and your essentially making walnut butter at this step point. Definitely use an immersion blender.**

After blending at getting as much of the blended paste I could out of the blender, you end up with 3 muffin tins worth. Plenty. This is ready to go in the fridge for an hour!

Time to cook up the brown recluse venom!
This is where you use the water and lemon juice***

That's looking about right!

So since I'm making this poo poo up as I go, I figured I would try something fancy I read while doing my research.
First, crumple up then smooth out a piece of parchment on a baking sheet.
Next, spread some poison around on it. I used some white man's poison I had on my shelf.

Then pour your brown recluse venom reduction down the sheet on an angle. It'll bubble up when it contacts the poison, like so!****
https://i.imgur.com/Glyx7pK.gifv

Since I only got a couple of good bubbly bits out of that experiment, I poured the rest of the venom onto the chilled puddings and put some chunks of the hardened mess (not pictured) on top, and put in the oven at 375f for about half an hour.

Here's one we made earlier!

Ta da!

Verdict: surprisingly edible! I ate about half of one. It's still going in the trash though.

---------

Ok so here's what I learned:
*this was an extremely rough guess, but if I was going to do this again, I'd probably experiment with more apple to give it a bit more flavour and possibly better texture? Could end up worse though.

**this is where I screwed things up. Because the dough was so thick, I added both the water and the lemon juice to try to thin it out. However, having tasted the final product, this is definitely not where you add the lemon juice. I think the water also just made things stickier and if I was to do it over, I'd skip the water and hope to get a crumblier cake at the end. The egg? Did it do anything? I guess it helped bind the nut flours together.

***see above. I used 5 tablespoons of crystallized brown recluse venom to 1/2 cup water. For the full recipe use 10tbsp and 1 cup water like what the recipe says. Also mix in the lemon juice here. I hear it helps with the venom recrystallizing.

****don't bother wasting venom with this step, just pour all the venom onto the puddings. It kind of makes a nice crust when you bake it, and you want enough to give it some flavour. If you want a garnish, make it separately.

can't believe you did this + am immeasurably pleased that you did this

it looks thick, delicious and healthy, just as promised

Resting Lich Face

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
My lovely induction stove is broken. The electrician cut a corner wiring it up so it eventually burned out the electronics. Damnit.

Finger Prince

Android Blues posted:

can't believe you did this + am immeasurably pleased that you did this

it looks thick, delicious and healthy, just as promised

Thanks! It was a fun way to waste an afternoon. They're definitely thick, and dense, but too soft to use as building material. Delicious... Well they probably wouldn't be too bad with the changes I proposed.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Resting Lich Face posted:

My lovely induction stove is broken. The electrician cut a corner wiring it up so it eventually burned out the electronics. Damnit.

gently caress. Can you bitch and make them replace it?

poverty goat

Pretty cool how everything is breakfast if you put an egg on it

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

poverty goat posted:

Pretty cool how everything is breakfast if you put an egg on it

Good rear end breakfast 10/10

Goons Are Gifts

Lovely dog, too

Resting Lich Face

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

hamjobs posted:

gently caress. Can you bitch and make them replace it?

Quite possibly. We'll see.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Resting Lich Face posted:

Quite possibly. We'll see.

I hope so. Fingers crossed for good cooktop luck, because THE INDUCTION

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
as a slow cooker aficionado i have been hesitant to jump on the instant pot bandwagon but i just bought a six quart one on sale and it will be here on thursday

sure there are plenty of pinterest recipes i could try but since the yob has its own cookign thread i wanted to check here first

pls post any instant pot recipes or small wisdoms u care to share with me, an instant pot noob. instant pot horror stories also will be appreciated. i prefer to learn from others' mistakes

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

I don't have anything specific to say about it other than I don't use it as much as I hoped I would. I made red beans in it once and, while I appreciated the speed of it, I still very much prefer the slow cooked version I make periodically. It makes fantastic rice, which is great since I don't have a proper rice cooker. I intend to make stock with it soon to see how it compares to the typical style, but I just kind of like having a bubbling pot on my stove top for a whole day so I will be a hard sell on that feature. I may not be the audience for it seeing as I really like dickering with all day braises, which is a practice this device works against. Your mileage may vary.

Areola Grande

Bo-Pepper posted:

I don't have anything specific to say about it other than I don't use it as much as I hoped I would. I made red beans in it once and, while I appreciated the speed of it, I still very much prefer the slow cooked version I make periodically. It makes fantastic rice, which is great since I don't have a proper rice cooker. I intend to make stock with it soon to see how it compares to the typical style, but I just kind of like having a bubbling pot on my stove top for a whole day so I will be a hard sell on that feature. I may not be the audience for it seeing as I really like dickering with all day braises, which is a practice this device works against. Your mileage may vary.

i too enjoy the all-day bubbly pot experience, especially when your whole house starts to smell savory about an hour before the crock is done cooking. making the switch to an instant pot feels v strange

however i want to reclaim my sundays instead of just cooking all day so that's why i bought the instant pot

i found an instant pot recipe for egg nog cheesecake lmao EW

FutonForensic

The Instant Pot is bad for risotto, I've found. My biggest successes have been with stocks, soups, jambalaya and ribs (have to finish it under the oven/broiler).

Biggest surprise was making serviceable little chocolate lava cakes in stacked ramekins. They came out a little spongy, but with a scoopa vanilla ice cream I don't think guests cared.

FutonForensic

i hate looking up instant pot recipes, because they're nearly all exclusively keto or mommy blogs, and they have the biggest preambles for a process that usually comes down to "put ingredients in pot, close lid"

Areola Grande

FutonForensic posted:

i hate looking up instant pot recipes, because they're nearly all exclusively keto or mommy blogs, and they have the biggest preambles for a process that usually comes down to "put ingredients in pot, close lid"

if you're a busy mother of nine like me you would absolutely KILL for a recipe this easy. also my renaissance man husband always gives me a lil smooch when i make this one b/c it's his fave. he was raised by a single mom in a 55 gallon barrel in the woods outside shreveport and attended school in a one room schoolhouse run by mice. that's right, this recipe was inspired by a diet resulting from extreme poverty and fatherlessness!!! all you need is an instant pot, a minivan with no doors and ten mouths to feed.

instructions: dump ingredients in the pot and press the Cook button

Finger Prince

FutonForensic posted:

Aaaarr:argh:gghhhh this drives me nuts!
Minimal exposition describing the basis for the recipe
List of ingredients
Method

You want to write a travel blog, do it on a travel blog, not a recipe site!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

prepuce repurposed posted:

if you're a busy mother of nine like me you would absolutely KILL for a recipe this easy. also my renaissance man husband always gives me a lil smooch when i make this one b/c it's his fave. he was raised by a single mom in a 55 gallon barrel in the woods outside shreveport and attended school in a one room schoolhouse run by mice. that's right, this recipe was inspired by a diet resulting from extreme poverty and fatherlessness!!! all you need is an instant pot, a minivan with no doors and ten mouths to feed.

This is almost verbatim the preamble to a recipe with eight sticks of cream cheese, no seasoning and a lot of mayonnaise

Manifisto

prepuce repurposed posted:

what, you're just going to list the instructions inline, rather than putting them behind a convenient link?

pile of brown
I've never owned one but my roommate did and throwing frozen beef shortribs in for 45 mins with veg and wine and getting delicious dinner out is pretty awesome

Farecoal

There he go
Cooking sites / blogs do that for SEO reasons I think

Manifisto

Farecoal posted:

Cooking sites / blogs do that for SEO reasons I think

could be . . . the nyt does it because they want to nickel and dime subscribers into paying for an additional cooking subscription, which is shameful

like I'm okay with having the crossword as a premium feature, but recipes? gently caress those guys

poverty goat

seriously guys just install this and never scroll past a blog full of ads to play find the recipe ever again

Anyway, I'd start here, as serious eats are cool and good and have been hard at work converting their back catalog for pressure cooker as appropriate: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/topics/method/pressure-cooker

Highlights:
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/05/colombian-chicken-stew-with-potatoes-tomato-onion-recipe.html
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/10/pressure-cooker-beef-stew-recipe.html
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/11/pressure-cooker-ragu-bolognese-sauce-italian-recipe.html.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/03/easy-pressure-cooker-pork-chile-verde-recipe.html
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/10/30-minute-pressure-cooker-split-pea-soup-recipe.html

those are all fantastic with varying degrees of effort and if you've ever made something like that on a stovetop I think it should be pretty apparent at the end that the IP is good and will save you time. The one caveat is it doesn't get hot enough on saute, so if you really want to brown your meat and sautee your vegetables and all that, save some time and do it on the stovetop

Other cool instant pot activities:
  • it makes yogurt. fresh yogurt isn't life-changing or anything but it is a little sweeter and creamier than storebought and you can dial that in with more/less time if you like. be sure to remove the silicone ring or your yogurt will taste and smell ever so slightly like the last thing you cooked in it
  • it makes stock, but no matter what the recipe says you should still do it at least a couple of hours with a natural pressure release for best results
  • cook a bunch of dry beans/chickpeas, freeze, use instead of canned
  • steel cut oats, creamy stone ground grits/polenta, rice pudding, etc. done fast with no stirring, boiling over, evaporating, breaking, etc
  • make collards in the instant pot in less time and then BREAK THE SEAL OUTSIDE. your house doesn't smell like collards now and you won thanksgiving

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 21, 2019

Areola Grande

poverty goat posted:

seriously guys just install this and never scroll past a blog full of ads to play find the recipe ever again

Anyway, I'd start here, as serious eats are cool and good and have been hard at work converting their back catalog for pressure cooker as appropriate: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/topics/method/pressure-cooker

Highlights:
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/05/colombian-chicken-stew-with-potatoes-tomato-onion-recipe.html
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/10/pressure-cooker-beef-stew-recipe.html
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/11/pressure-cooker-ragu-bolognese-sauce-italian-recipe.html.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/03/easy-pressure-cooker-pork-chile-verde-recipe.html

those are all fantastic with varying degrees of effort and if you've ever made something like that on a stovetop I think it should be pretty apparent at the end that the IP is good and will save you time. The one caveat is it doesn't get hot enough on saute, so if you really want to brown your meat and sautee your vegetables and all that, save some time and do it on the stovetop

Other cool instant pot activities:
  • it makes yogurt. fresh yogurt isn't life-changing or anything but it is a little sweeter and creamier than storebought and you can dial that in with more/less time if you like. be sure to remove the silicone ring or your yogurt will taste and smell ever so slightly like the last thing you cooked in it
  • it makes stock, but no matter what the recipe says you should still do it at least a couple of hours with a natural pressure release for best results
  • cook a bunch of dry beans/chickpeas, freeze, use instead of canned
  • steel cut oats, creamy stone ground grits/polenta, rice pudding, etc. done fast with no stirring, boiling over, evaporating, breaking, etc
  • make collards in the instant pot in less time and then BREAK THE SEAL OUTSIDE. your house doesn't smell like collards now and you won thanksgiving

:holy: this is what I'm looking for. thanks a million P. G.

Finger Prince

Oh an instant pot is a pressure cooker?
Weird, when I was a kid I remember my mom using a pressure cooker all the time (though the only thing I can remember it being used for is corn on the cob). Then they all but disappeared from existence (or rather the extremely limited sphere of my existence), I think because microwaves became a thing.
Actually she probably used it to cook bigos as well, though maybe just as a big pot instead of under pressure. Oh and peas pudding. poo poo it's all coming back to me now in this stream of consciousness post about pressure cookers.

Ingredients:
Corn
Water

Method:
Put corn in pressure cooker with some water. Cook for a few minutes until done.

Areola Grande

beats boiling it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat

It shouldn't boil in the PC, though the pressure will allow it to exceed the normal boiling point of water. Thus it makes good, clear stock, unless you try to quick release, which will make it flash boil instantly. I did a quick release on 2lbs of chickpeas once and the water flash boiling inside the chickpeas when the pressure dropped caused them to blast apart into hummus, which was not the goal. The serious eats split pea soup recipe does a quick release on purpose to puree the peas through the sheer explosive power of steam