Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I thought the Star VS ending was fine considering the creators probably wanted more time to flesh things out and set things up? :shrug: The biggest issues were that Mina wasn’t really threatening enough to be last boss material and the twist with Star’s mom was almost immediately dropped after it was introduced. It certainly wasn’t BAD though, particularly compared to how cartoons normally go out. *glances at Danny Phantom* At the very least it cleanly wrapped up its loose ends and ended on an emotionally satisfying note.

Also: SO happy we didn’t get an Escaflowne ending. Old rear end anime fans will know what I mean.

Chrungka posted:

One of five gen:LOCK's main characters in openly genderfluid. She (at that moment) explicitly states she went through transition several times. In that sci-fi setting, seems like sex reassignment is "solved" problem.
Does this count?

On top, David Tennant provides voices for one the most humane character I've seen in a while. Seriously. go watch the show: https://www.crunchyroll.com/genlock.

That sounds rad, I’ll check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Acebuckeye13 posted:

:shrug: I thought it was fine.

I know right? I don't know where all this "poo poo the bed" stuff is coming from. Maybe it could've used one more episode for the denouement, but it was a pretty great ending as far as I'm concerned.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

TwoPair posted:

I know right? I don't know where all this "poo poo the bed" stuff is coming from.

turbo nerds mad about their favorite ship not making it in or something, probably

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

TwoPair posted:

I know right? I don't know where all this "poo poo the bed" stuff is coming from. Maybe it could've used one more episode for the denouement, but it was a pretty great ending as far as I'm concerned.

Cartoon nerds are jealous over the kerfuffle over at Game of Thrones.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sorry for the weeks of non-productivity, guys. Running out of weed and burning out on your job because it's going to be ending in a month...well, it ain't great.

We now return to your regularly scheduled weekend cartoon of anthropomorphic siblings in a sewer.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Acebuckeye13 posted:

turbo nerds mad about their favorite ship not making it in or something, probably

Most of the anger seems to be towards Star destroying all magic, and Earth and Mewni getting merged

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Most of the anger seems to be towards Star destroying all magic, and Earth and Mewni getting merged

Yeah. "And then the magic went away." endings ALWAYS get really really hard push back from fans.

Especially because like the last half of the shows was like, a kinda clumsy storyline about oppression and colonization and at the last possible second they decided "oh magic was the problem." and just kinda hope you forget about all the magical people who had lives and personalities and families and whole episodes of screentime dedicated to them all just got Thanos snapped away.

edit: Like I understand WHY it happened. You can't really just like find the cure for racism or something in the ending. They needed something they can conveniently interact with and be a problem with a solution so you can tie things up in a neat bow.

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 20, 2019

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Yeah, the more I think about it the destroying all magic twist would have worked a lot better if the show hadn’t given every spell an adorable personality. RIP spider in a top hat.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Star vs was interesting to watch from the outside. Mewberty was the first hit of popularity the show got, then slowly grew until season 2 when it exploded in popularity by a lot. It especially got popular over in lgbt tumblr specifically around a certain headcannon/theory that Marco was supposed to be read as a trans girl fueled by the whole Princess Marco thing being handled really respectfully.
if people want actual trans/nonbinary representation in a kids cartoon, they shoulda watched danger & eggs

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Season 3 was the best one, it had Eclipsa before she was saddled with a trashfire of a kingdom. It was also where most of the intrigue started up.

The show clearly didn't have any long-term idea for where it was going, which made it all weird and unstable and kinda underwhelming with its story arcs, but it also gave the show a real edge of unpredictability, including how confusing the final twists were. It was a real mixed bag. It was an alright ride though. A net positive.

From an in-world perspective, it's pretty apocalyptic. Much of the old order is destroyed, but it sucked before anyways? Also some magical creatures are unharmed and others are 100% dead and murdered. Real arbitrary what counts as magic and what doesn't.

edit: Also Milo Murphy is back and it's pretty darn great.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 20, 2019

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yeah, over on /co/ people have been calling her worse than Thanos

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SlothfulCobra posted:

edit: Also Milo Murphy is back and it's pretty darn great.

Said bear also murdered Recurring Racoon.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah, over on /co/ people have been calling her worse than Thanos

Oh please. She murdered, like, a mid-sized country’s worth of people at worst.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

readingatwork posted:

Oh please. She murdered, like, a mid-sized country’s worth of people at worst.

Well magic is supposed to be multiversal in nature, so not necessarily

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but like, a ton of creatures/stuff you might think of as "pure magic" weren't gone. The pony heads still float, the pigeons still talked, Tom was around and could maybe do his rocket stuff? The only explicit deaths/poofs are Glossaryck and the Magic High Commission and they were dicks and/or accepted their fate freely. And the spells are probably around in some way or form. They survived the wand (and almost all magic) dying twice, they're probably fine in their little pocket dimension. Or they have a new place on the new hybrid planet.

Anybody claiming mass genocide is trying to make the show's ending dark for the sake of making a children's show ending dark... which is probably ultimately so they can go make listicles about the top 10 ways Star was wrong or whatever.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Glossaryck said he'd die, but then at the end he did a weird thing and maybe he's just floating out in space or some junk.

The only explicit deaths are Omnitraxus and most of Rhombulus. It can also be construed that the few hundred years' worth of spells are dead, or their pocket dimension still exists unmoored in the multiverse? But does the multiverse still exist if the underlying powers that supposedly governed it is gone? And does it really count as murder to eliminate what is essentially a probability space? And Heckapoo said pretty straightforwardly that she might die, and that sucks because she was cool.

But it's hopeless to evaluate it in "real" terms because that's not what it's meant to be. What you gotta evaluate it in is dumb bullshit emotional terms, in which case, it's mostly bad because it's not the right bullshit. Star and Marco got their happy ending, but nobody else did. Or at least it didn't feel happy enough. We've got no assurance for futures (or continued existence?) of most of the characters we've come to care about aside from one teen romance, so I sure hope that's what you cared about.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

Or at least it didn't feel happy enough. We've got no assurance for futures (or continued existence?) of most of the characters we've come to care about

But we kind of did? I mean they showed Kelly off doing her thing, both the royal families made peace, Ponyhead and Tom and every other injured magical creature is gonna live. I'm sure there's a laundry list of other side characters that didn't show up but I think the point of the scene was kinda clear showing that everybody's gonna be okay. I mean they didn't show them on the new merged planet and they didn't do some 20 years later flash forward but they showed that for the most part everything went okay

SlothfulCobra posted:

aside from one teen romance, so I sure hope that's what you cared about.

Well they're the main characters... so yeah, it kind of is? I don't begrudge you for looking for something more, no ending is ever gonna please everybody, but the end of like every story like this pretty much ignores a lot of non-main characters and the world and leaves a lot of open-ended questions. I don't care any more about what what the long-term effects of the blending of Earth and Mewni will be any more than I care about how the Fire Nation will rebuild after Avatar or exactly how gem society is going to reform on Steven Universe (I recognize that's not all the way over but I mean it might as well be, pretty much everyone's character arc is done). It's a Happily Ever After™ for a Disney princess, the worries of what's next is the realm of bad straight-to-DVD sequels.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 20, 2019

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

SlothfulCobra posted:

The only explicit deaths are Omnitraxus and most of Rhombulus. It can also be construed that the few hundred years' worth of spells are dead, or their pocket dimension still exists unmoored in the multiverse? But does the multiverse still exist if the underlying powers that supposedly governed it is gone? And does it really count as murder to eliminate what is essentially a probability space? And Heckapoo said pretty straightforwardly that she might die, and that sucks because she was cool.

Well. There's Heckapoo, but when asked about it, she just kind of shrugged. She's probably lived a million life times, over a million years.

I kinda feel like Omnitraxus and Rhombulus were basically the old guards of magic, and often had a Might Makes Right philosophy that was often used by the old Queens. And when one did something the magic counsel didn't like, they hid it away, and picked a new lineage of queens they could control.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Star Vs was dead to me when they did Jackie dirty

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
CN announces two new shows; I Love You Mao Mao (produced by Titmouse, created by Titmouse animator/OK KO boarder Parker Simmons), whose first ep was just put up on the app as a sneak peak, and Tig 'n' Seek (created by former Uncle Grandpa boarder/Rick and Morty designer Myke Chillian), a retool of that Tiggle Winks pilot from a while back.

https://twitter.com/codaanim/status/1130482923537338368

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 20, 2019

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I like art style and character design. Definitely keeping an eye on it cause I'm curious how it will develop.

The main character reminds of Batman from the Lego Movies.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Oh wow, dropping a show like this with no prior promotion is an interesting move.

Yeah, I like the art and it has potential.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Pakled posted:

Oh wow, dropping a show like this with no prior promotion is an interesting move.

Yeah, I like the art and it has potential.

Might be another attempt to go hard on the App, but even then, idk.

Also the second season of Milo Murphy's law seems to have ended and idk if there's been any word regarding more or if it's being taken out back quietly.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

CN announces two new shows; I Love You Mao Mao (produced by Titmouse, created by Titmouse animator/OK KO boarder Parker Simmons), whose first ep was just put up on the app as a sneak peak, and Tig 'n' Seek (created by former Uncle Grandpa boarder/Rick and Morty designer Myke Chillian), a retool of that Tiggle Winks pilot from a while back.

https://twitter.com/codaanim/status/1130482923537338368

Their player isn't picked up by my video downloader extension in Chrome so it's worthless to me.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ariza posted:

Their player isn't picked up by my video downloader extension in Chrome so it's worthless to me.

I'm Canadian.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Xelkelvos posted:

Might be another attempt to go hard on the App, but even then, idk.

Also the second season of Milo Murphy's law seems to have ended and idk if there's been any word regarding more or if it's being taken out back quietly.

I hope it gets another season. The finale was a perfect end for the second season, but didn't feel special enough to be a finale for the entire series. The show's pretty solid and I really like how the status quo keeps changing and characters develop in small ways.

I did :sigh: a bit when there was a kiss in the finale, and it wasn't between Cavendish and Dakota.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

kidcoelacanth posted:

Star Vs was dead to me when they did Jackie dirty

She did come back briefly in Season 4. It's not much, but it does give some decent closure to her character.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Okay, wow, Mao Mao is incredibly cute and funny.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Some old shorts are on the creators youtube page. And they're very good:

Teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH6fjvokSmw
How To Draw MaoMao https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBjrqBaHE78
How To Draw Adorabat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn818ZCzY2Q
How To Draw Bearclops (He Used to be a Polar Bear) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2EVnb3ziDE

Fancy Hat! fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 21, 2019

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
There was a full short that was made a few years back, but it was only screened at the annual titmouse 5 second night screening and never fully released.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

In a random bit of The Owl House news, Dana Terrace revealed a new character in a charity stream yesterday:

https://twitter.com/TheMysteryofGF/status/1131036114289135616

Looking forward to seeing how this shapes up now that we're closer to release. It feels like this was maybe announced a bit too early but I suppose they weren't anticipating a delay into 2020 by last year's February.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
We finally got cable, so now I can watch DuckTales. I guess until the 5/30, at least.

The pilot was pretty good, but I really think the second episode is much better. It's just packed to the gills with jokes.

Digging the vulture capitalists in episode 3.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Beachcomber posted:

We finally got cable, so now I can watch DuckTales. I guess until the 5/30, at least.

The pilot was pretty good, but I really think the second episode is much better. It's just packed to the gills with jokes.

Digging the vulture capitalists in episode 3.

DuckTales starts pretty good and ramps up in quality very quickly over the course of the series. Definitely one of my favorite cartoons on right now.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Acebuckeye13 posted:

DuckTales starts pretty good and ramps up in quality very quickly over the course of the series. Definitely one of my favorite cartoons on right now.

Episode 4 and this is literally The Warriors.

Also, the captions for the title changed from ponytails to phony tales. It was definitely ponytails on episode 2.

Edit: the amulet was kind of a giveaway but I'd basically forgotten about it and then gently caress.

Edit 2: episode 8 and Webby continues to be the absolute best.

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 24, 2019

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Great news, Duckheads!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3830337

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Was there a specific post or...?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think they were not-so-subtly trying to tell the DuckTales recapper to post there instead which is... fair. From what I've seen, general show chat discussion is fine here, but more longform stuff is more appropriate for a show-specific thread, if it exists.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyiBdccfNkg

Lindsay Ellis made a great video about something I've complained a lot about in the past: why you see so many big name movie stars doing animated films.

I'm not opposed to the idea of having celebrities do animated VOs, but as Lindsay brilliantly explains, when studios hire people like that, they seem to mainly do it for recognition and star power, with very little thought going into whether said celebrities actually do a good job fitting or fulfilling the characters they're portraying. Dreamworks in particular, is like the worst offender on this issue.

Furthermore, there are a ton of super talented career voice actors that would do many of these roles infinitely more justice, but they get passed over cause they're not household names. And that's pretty hosed up.

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The only recent Disney princess to be voiced by a professional voice actor is Kida (Cree Summer).

I'm of two minds about this. On one hand, there are some great animated films like Spider-Verse and Megamind, and The Lego Movie that really work because of the cast. As much as I love the va's that get most of their work in animated shows, I'd have a really hard time arguing with any of the casting in the three movies I mentioned (Tina Fey in Megamind is a little weak, I guess).