Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Anyone know their poo poo wrt lighting? I've got a room that's going to be specifically used for a lot of tabletop activities - board games, card games, etc. We're really used to playing with inferior lighting, and since I need an electrician to come and do work anyways, now is my chance to really do things right.

The room in question is this one. It's 22' x 15' I believe. We plan on putting our table underneath the middle wooded beam, lengthwise. My first thought was installing recessed lights in all the wood beams (they're not solid or anything so no worries about ruining them). Then the table would sit directly below the cans, with maybe three to five feet between the table surface and the bottom of the beam. I've grown concerned that could create glare though. Perhaps mounting the lighting in the top of the beams instead, shining directly into the ceiling, in order to diffuse it through the room?

The window will provide very little in the way of natural sunlight, especially in the evening, since the sun sets on the opposite side of the house.

How do I best add lighting to this room to maximize visibility of a tabletop surface without creating glare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Are those channels along the underside of the beams? You gotta put LED strips in there, just shifting colors like crazy. I insist.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

Are those channels along the underside of the beams? You gotta put LED strips in there, just shifting colors like crazy. I insist.

Yes, and I already have those installed in the frame of my board game table. Flashing led strips are all about light touches.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

"light" touches. I get it

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Speaking of lighting, I'm finally getting things sorted in my new house and it's littered with those cheap flushmount ceiling globes. I plan on replacing one with a ceiling fan, but how do you guys feel about the led flushmounts like these? https://www.lumens.com/reveal-led-f...P4aAnRLEALw_wcB

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Google Butt posted:

Speaking of lighting, I'm finally getting things sorted in my new house and it's littered with those cheap flushmount ceiling globes. I plan on replacing one with a ceiling fan, but how do you guys feel about the led flushmounts like these? https://www.lumens.com/reveal-led-f...P4aAnRLEALw_wcB

I had a ceiling light with integrated LEDs and it stopped working after a year. The light would just flash, which is not something you want to happen in a hallway. It was a cheap light, however it has steered me away from anything hardwired with integrated lights when you can just as easily have your pick of LED bulbs.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I dunno about the lighting itself but that's one hell of a tabletop room. Kinda calls for one of those old-timey iron chandeliers, especially if you do D&D or other fantasy nerd stuff.

or some braziers, the smoke's good for your lungs

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Yeah you need to get medieval in there my dude

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Anyone know their poo poo wrt lighting? I've got a room that's going to be specifically used for a lot of tabletop activities - board games, card games, etc. We're really used to playing with inferior lighting, and since I need an electrician to come and do work anyways, now is my chance to really do things right.

The room in question is this one. It's 22' x 15' I believe. We plan on putting our table underneath the middle wooded beam, lengthwise. My first thought was installing recessed lights in all the wood beams (they're not solid or anything so no worries about ruining them). Then the table would sit directly below the cans, with maybe three to five feet between the table surface and the bottom of the beam. I've grown concerned that could create glare though. Perhaps mounting the lighting in the top of the beams instead, shining directly into the ceiling, in order to diffuse it through the room?

The window will provide very little in the way of natural sunlight, especially in the evening, since the sun sets on the opposite side of the house.

How do I best add lighting to this room to maximize visibility of a tabletop surface without creating glare?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

I need opinions on what lampshade I should buy for my Granddads lamp. When he died all the extended family was asked if there was anything they wanted. All I said was “I want the spooky lamp” and everyone knew what I meant.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

beep-beep car is go posted:

I need opinions on what lampshade I should buy for my Granddads lamp. When he died all the extended family was asked if there was anything they wanted. All I said was “I want the spooky lamp” and everyone knew what I meant.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Not bad. It’s been banned from the house proper so I have to keep it in the office or garage workshop.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

e: whoops, that was some holocaust poo poo. Nevermind, got less funny. And here I thought a human skin lampshade would just be good old fashioned comedy.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 21, 2019

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

e: whoops, that was some holocaust poo poo. Nevermind, got less funny. And here I thought a human skin lampshade would just be good old fashioned comedy.

:dogbutton:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

I dunno about the lighting itself but that's one hell of a tabletop room. Kinda calls for one of those old-timey iron chandeliers, especially if you do D&D or other fantasy nerd stuff.

or some braziers, the smoke's good for your lungs

They have those cool animated flame/torch led lightbulbs now. Those would be cool. Or rig up color changing led strips and bulbs so you can change the lighting green when you enter poison swamps or whatever.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

You want this one. If you're doing nautical kitsch, go all in.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Antivehicular posted:

You want this one. If you're doing nautical kitsch, go all in.

I want that one, and I literally have no place for it. I just want it, perhaps as a hat.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Take your pick.
https://www.google.com/search?q=spo...g#imgrc=_&vet=1

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

My attempts to find a shade that mimics the top of a street lamp so he looks like he's leaning on a lamppost have failed. So I vote go for proper kitsch with wicker/rattan

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Or just leave it naked and turn it on whenever you come up with an idea

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah I vacillated on posting that for goofs and decided restraint was the better option, though I did check first that it's actually not human skin (according to wikipedia, at least).

PRADA SLUT posted:

Now this is some wholesome comedy.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Have a cloak sewn for him, but with a gigantic hood with built-in supports. The hood is the lamp shade.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

PRADA SLUT posted:

Lmao

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

PRADA SLUT posted:

This is the only right answer.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

To everyone recommending my game room turn into some sort of themed dungeon: I definitely spent some time considering it. I was originally thinking of a cozy, "hidden library" type feel along the lines of the picture below.

Among the various issues with that is the huge window overlooking the sweeping lawn doesn't really fit that aesthetic. If this were in the basement I'd be all over it. For the time being I'm just doing a light, open, clean space. A year or two down the line, after more of my more pressing projects are tackled, maybe I'll consider a redesign.

PRADA SLUT posted:

You could even rig it up to make an audible 'ding!' when you do

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

For extra spoopy get a smart bulb that can turn on and off with no one touching the lamp.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The Wonder Weapon posted:

To everyone recommending my game room turn into some sort of themed dungeon: I definitely spent some time considering it. I was originally thinking of a cozy, "hidden library" type feel along the lines of the picture below.

Among the various issues with that is the huge window overlooking the sweeping lawn doesn't really fit that aesthetic. If this were in the basement I'd be all over it. For the time being I'm just doing a light, open, clean space. A year or two down the line, after more of my more pressing projects are tackled, maybe I'll consider a redesign.

You could even rig it up to make an audible 'ding!' when you do

Make a display box to mount outside the window. Control the view. You could make it a misty moor, or a long torchlit tunnel, or something.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Bed I might get

https://www.cb2.com/drommen-queen-bed/s394161

(It would be nice to have a bed where my feet don't dangle off the end a bit - I have a full right now)

The only thing that's weird to me is how low it is. Are low beds just a trend or something?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

Make a display box to mount outside the window. Control the view. You could make it a misty moor, or a long torchlit tunnel, or something.

Ooh, or sandwich extra glass on the inside with a gap so you can direct lights and/or smoke into it, do some real special effects.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

actionjackson posted:

The only thing that's weird to me is how low it is. Are low beds just a trend or something?

Platform bed, it's just a thing.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

Platform bed, it's just a thing.

My Ikea bed is 16" from the ground to the top of the bed frame on the side. Maybe it's my bed that's actually the outlier?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Is it low beds or thick mattresses that are the contributing factor these days?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

actionjackson posted:

My Ikea bed is 16" from the ground to the top of the bed frame on the side. Maybe it's my bed that's actually the outlier?

Nah, that's pretty normal, for whatever class of beds. Google captain's bed if you wanna see some real tall stuff. Some of those can be like a full 2' just to the top of the frame, then add the mattress on top of that.

Platform beds are going to aim to have the mattress surface roughly at a normal chair height. Captain's bed is going to have a heap of storage underneath, mattress height be damned. And then there are all options in between.

I think platform beds are popular right now because it's some of the minimalism of having your mattress right on the floor without actually being so unrefined as to do that. It's usually a clean, somewhat sleek look.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 21, 2019

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Low beds are definitely a longterm trend right now. High beds are legit, though, if that's what you want. I love high beds and you can still find them at places like Room & Board

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Captain's beds are hot poo poo in a kid's room where you want more storage without just having a heap of crap stuffed under the bed.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Grandad lamps always get no respect. I have one that I claimed that sat in the bonus room until it got kicked out to make room for more kid crap. Now it sits majestically in my office.

My grandad made it out of a Remington M1867 rifle.

My wife despises it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

actionjackson posted:

Bed I might get

https://www.cb2.com/drommen-queen-bed/s394161

(It would be nice to have a bed where my feet don't dangle off the end a bit - I have a full right now)

This is fine, low beds have been A Thing for like 20 years and they're not going anywhere. I have a low bed and its great, I'm annoyed when I have to sleep in this four-foot monstrosities in Hotels or whatever