Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

spankmeister posted:

Shhh, nobody tell this guy what happened to the Kurds.

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

how

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

spoiler alert: it didn’t help

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Way, way too much downforce located behind the rear wheels

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Nice.

I appreciated that

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Knowledgeable OSHA folks, is this:

coldpudding posted:

I went looking for a particular carving bit for my rotary tool but instead I found the deadliest angle grinder attachment

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/80-...sAbTest=ae803_4
I have not done the math But I am pretty sure that if one of those blades came off at full speed it would go clean through you.

as bad as it looks..? I’m feeling totally naive well they wouldn’t sell it if it were dangerous!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Im feeling totally naive well they wouldnt sell it if it were dangerous!

counterpoint: aliexpress is like the harbor freight of everything instead of just hardware

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
It's dangerous as gently caress.

That thing will be spinning around at insane speeds and those 3 bits will be doing their best to exit at high speed like shrapnel from a grenade.

They are held in place only by friction, which is dependant on a single screw which has the dual features of a) being constantly vibrated loose and b) having the thread battered every time it cuts anything, increased the chances of a).

Oh, if you hit a hidden nail, the bits will almost certainly shatter and do their shrapnel impressions, only in small, sharper pieces.

E: In theory, if you were to design it so that the bits could not fly out (perhaps make then J-shaped) and used a material that were malleable enough to bend, rather than shatter; then you would have a tool that was merely 'dangerous' as it shudders and jumps across the wood, lunging for your jugular.

Shut up Meg fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 20, 2019

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

spankmeister posted:

Shhh, nobody tell this guy what happened to the Kurds.

i have multiple acquaintances who've returned from volunteering in rojava so unfortunately ive been informed

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
That thing is so far beyond hell nope, that I am positive that it was designed for population control.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Should’ve pulled the parachutes.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
actually i have an extremely osha story from one of those friends who fought for rojava

according to this one guy, it wasnt uncommon for the safety caps to be unscrewed while a person was running with a loaded rpg-7 and when they tripped and the nose hit the pavement and triggered the rocket to go off it was bye bye (the forgotten weapons video on the rpg-7 even mentions this!)

there's a lot of really rad but extremely osha homemade tanks made by basically welding plate steel on to tractors in rojava. it's pretty much an anarchist tradition tho if you look at the spanish civil war and other conflicts

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Shut up Meg posted:

It's dangerous as gently caress.

That thing will be spinning around at insane speeds and those 3 bits will be doing their best to exit at high speed like shrapnel from a grenade.

They are held in place only by friction, which is dependant on a single screw which has the dual features of a) being constantly vibrated loose and b) having the thread battered every time it cuts anything, increased the chances of a).

Oh, if you hit a hidden nail, the bits will almost certainly shatter and do their shrapnel impressions, only in small, sharper pieces.

E: In theory, if you were to design it so that the bits could not fly out (perhaps make then J-shaped) and used a material that were malleable enough to bend, rather than shatter; then you would have a tool that was merely 'dangerous' as it shudders and jumps across the wood, lunging for your jugular.

This is actually worse than I thought at first glance, because I thought the "bits" were one solid piece with a screwhole for the screw to secure it by, but nope:

It's literally just 3 flat pieces of metal pushed into place by how tight the screw is or isn't. Once of those things is going flying within 5 minutes of operation.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

It's literally just 3 flat pieces of metal pushed into place by how tight the screw is or isn't. Once of those things is going flying within 5 minutes of operation.

And that's probably an ikea-quality Allen key, so as soon as you try to tighten it up as much as you think it should be tightened, it's going to start rounding itself off and twisting.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That angle grinder tool is clearly just a cheap knockoff of this far superior American invention

https://www.revealnews.org/article/this-tool-cuts-fingers-and-gashes-faces-but-shipbuilder-still-uses-it/

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Wanna pet that trucko.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sucks when you forget to put on a chin spoiler

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Sagebrush posted:

That angle grinder tool is clearly just a cheap knockoff of this far superior American invention

https://www.revealnews.org/article/this-tool-cuts-fingers-and-gashes-faces-but-shipbuilder-still-uses-it/

Lol this looked very nsfw at first

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
In all seriousness what the hell is that attachment for? I haven't seen one like it before.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it for make stuff go away more faster

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

In all seriousness what the hell is that attachment for? I haven't seen one like it before.

Removing fingertips and chowdering up carbide edges. Some people say cutting steel, but I've never seen it.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

IPCRESS posted:

Removing fingertips and chowdering up carbide edges. Some people say cutting steel, but I've never seen it.

they work pretty well for cutting softer metals quickly but they leave a really jagged edge. i'll take a portable bandsaw any day.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Kanine posted:

there's a lot of really rad but extremely osha homemade tanks made by basically welding plate steel on to tractors in rojava. it's pretty much an anarchist tradition tho if you look at the spanish civil war and other conflicts

¡Excavadestructor!

Edit: Well, for those produced in the Spanish Civil war, anyway, not these. :eng99:

Blue Moonlight fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 21, 2019

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Kanine posted:

actually i have an extremely osha story from one of those friends who fought for rojava

according to this one guy, it wasnt uncommon for the safety caps to be unscrewed while a person was running with a loaded rpg-7 and when they tripped and the nose hit the pavement and triggered the rocket to go off it was bye bye (the forgotten weapons video on the rpg-7 even mentions this!)

I like picking out the re-used industrial bits. I think the troop compartment of that first one is the bottom of one half of a hopper-car, upside-down. The Syrian used car market is going to be seriously strange for a while.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Shut up Meg posted:

I'm a machinist by trade and it would blow your mind what you can do with one set screw. Huge rear end drills can plow into a part with the friction from one screw holding it in place, pressed against a flat ground into the body of the drill. That being said I would not use that thing. The teeth are too far apart, there's not enough support behind them, and the inserts are probably hard and brittle, and susceptible to breaking into pieces when they hit something awkwardly (which is almost a guarantee since you'll be operating it by hand), and the pieces are going to go somewhere very fast.

Doublethink
Sep 11, 2001

Umpossible my dear fellow, simply umpossible

New catbus looking revolutionary.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

This is actually worse than I thought at first glance, because I thought the "bits" were one solid piece with a screwhole for the screw to secure it by, but nope:

This one looks fun too

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

xergm posted:

Maybe you guys just need a dog.

Nothing will match the joy of sneaking up on a whole flock of geese, just chilling at the park, and watching them all collectively go "Oh poo poo!" and fly off.

Me and my dog both had an ear-to-ear grin that morning. :smugdog:
Fenton! FEN-TON!

E: https://youtu.be/3GRSbr0EYYU

gvibes fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 21, 2019

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

dphi posted:

This one looks fun too

These tools are the kind of poo poo you'd imagine some poor fucker working the beaches in Alang to use. "Forged in the fires of some back-yard foundry in the Khyber Pass and heartily endorsed by four-finger Fulbabu. He gives it one and a half thumbs up!".

OSHA from old friends:

Buddy of mine worked at a manufacturer of Lotus Super 7 replicas. The stock drivetrain on these cars at the time came out of a rear-wheel-drive Toyota Corolla. Engine, transmission, and the rear-end were the main components reused. With no reason to save the rest of the donor cars, they put him to work cutting these parts off with a gas-torch. He did as told for two weeks before the boss yelled at him for not emptying the old cars' gas tanks before sitting on top of them while cutting the rear axles free. Whoops, must have skipped that day of training.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Kanine posted:

these are loving rad

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

here's the CNT FAI's version

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Czechs using a bunch of tanks to... prove their bridge was stronk?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

quote:

A driver has been called the "luckiest person in the world" after a tyre came off a lorry and crashed into his car on the M6 motorway.
The tyre detached from an HGV, crossed the central barrier and smashed through the window of the oncoming Peugeot at junction 28, the Leyland interchange.

quote:

Lancashire Road Police Tweeted that the driver's son had wanted to join him in the car but "thankfully was unable to".

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
"luckiest person in the world"

Pfft. I flew like 7,000 miles and drove over 500 in the past 8 days, and I didn't have any accidents. I've been way luckier than this bloke.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

But hey, free tire.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Sagebrush posted:

Like everything else in the military-industrial complex it's just a means of generating kickbacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Dang Lizard
Jul 13, 2016

what; an idiomt

Bring me my brown driver's seat!