Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

~READY TO RACE~

To bikebandit.com to get a bunch of replacement parts that make actual sense instead of “on paper” sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I know you think you want a robust, simple machine that won't strand you when you pop a tube on the trail, but what you really need is a 30% lighter front axle only removable with a special tool. Also it will look 80% cooler.

^^^
Every KTM design decision ever.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

looking cool is the whole point of owning a motorcycle :D

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

I know you think you want a robust, simple machine that won't strand you when you pop a tube on the trail, but what you really need is a 30% lighter front axle only removable with a special tool. Also it will look 80% cooler.

^^^
Every KTM design decision ever.

Everything you say is correct.

The counterpoint for dirt bikes at least is that the crf450l has a wet weight of 289 and the 450 exc-f is 252. If you want to go fast on a street legal dirtbike, that’s a huge difference. Even if you assume the crf can lose say 20 lbs (which is a ton) you’re still left 20 lbs heavier than the stock ktm.

Does that philosophy belong on, for example, a 390 duke? I don’t know, but elviscat bought a 250 racetrail bike so...

Anyway, https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com has fast shipping and most ktm/husky stuff.

right arm posted:

feeling cool is the whole point of owning a motorcycle :D

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I had to source the little bracket through Motosport, to avoid the week long wait for OEM parts, it's replaced, need to get the bike out, my weekend was full of house/family/girlfriend stuff. The little bracket was not as pictured, and didn't have a provision for a mirror, but there's no way I'd retain the ugly, lovely, vulnerable stock mirrors anyways.

I have about $500 worth of stuff on the way from Rocky Mountain:shepspends: , that's a solid rec' they're my current go-to, including dirt tires, I need to try out riding this thing on the road before I give up totally on the street-legality.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

Everything you say is correct.

The counterpoint for dirt bikes at least is that the crf450l has a wet weight of 289 and the 450 exc-f is 252. If you want to go fast on a street legal dirtbike, that’s a huge difference. Even if you assume the crf can lose say 20 lbs (which is a ton) you’re still left 20 lbs heavier than the stock ktm.

Does that philosophy belong on, for example, a 390 duke? I don’t know, but elviscat bought a 250 racetrail bike so...

Anyway, https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com has fast shipping and most ktm/husky stuff.

The reduced weight is extremely helpful when you're pushing it after you break down, yeah.

It's true that KTM's weight savings don't come from magic unicorn technology, they're just willing to accept making something super light at the expense of ruggedness and Honda won't. They don't have some sort of technological advantage over the Japanese like a lot of people think. They're also willing to sacrifice engine longevity and ease of servicing for the sake of a couple extra hp; again, makes sense on an SX machine but not really worthwhile on a street bike imo.

Not to say that I'm defending Honda, unicam can suck my balls.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

drat Slavvy ate a month probation for what seems like a bullshit reason, but I don't venture into D&D so maybe that's typical for that forum.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

MomJeans420 posted:

drat Slavvy ate a month probation for what seems like a bullshit reason, but I don't venture into D&D so maybe that's typical for that forum.

I can see how his post could be read as tip toeing around advocating domestic terrorism. The mods need to nip that in the bud or the forum won't live much longer.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Let this be a lesson to him to never post in d&d.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
drat that sucks. I hear KTMs are super reliable and never have any engine issues at all. Is that true?

I will assume by everyone's silence that it is. Also old Harleys.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Honda's have soul.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
It’s important to buy a large displacement motorcycle so that you can get out of your own way.

They’re also more fun because there’s no replacement for that mind-bending thrill of acceleration.

Controlling that heavy weight also helps you learn to ride better.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Chinese scooters are a real gamechanger. Easily as good and well built as an equivalent Yamaha or Honda, and you'll save loads of money both up front and throughout your long ownership.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Have you guys ever taken your red dirtbikes for a ride over a pedestrian footbridge? You should, it's magical.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

MomJeans420 posted:

Yeah DnD is beyond saving now. Wacko lefty snowflakes. I stopped posting after I caught a ban for posting a screenshot of one of the isil beheading videos in the picture thread, not even gorey, like when jihad john was still jawing at the camera

Ed: actually the post is still live lol, it was a little worse than that. Knife is held to his neck but he’s still alive...

I also just checked slavvy’s ban, he was literally just describing the IRA’s methods, not making any kind of statement or call to action or anything. They’ve gone full retard. The leftists now complain about fascism as they censor any dissenting opinions or anything that they can pretend is bad.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 20, 2019

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Elviscat posted:

Have you guys ever taken your red dirtbikes for a ride over a pedestrian footbridge? You should, it's magical.

I always suspected that was him all along, he seems the type.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Elviscat posted:

It's.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I don't get the red bike / foot bridge reference

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

MomJeans420 posted:

I don't get the red bike / foot bridge reference

That's when slavvy was mistaken for Jean Valjean and almost ended up in the Kiwi Bastille.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Bogans, mate.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

nsaP posted:

Yeah DnD is beyond saving now. Wacko lefty snowflakes. I stopped posting after I caught a ban for posting a screenshot of one of the isil beheading videos in the picture thread, not even gorey, like when jihad john was still jawing at the camera

Ed: actually the post is still live lol, it was a little worse than that. Knife is held to his neck but he’s still alive...

I also just checked slavvy’s ban, he was literally just describing the IRA’s methods, not making any kind of statement or call to action or anything. They’ve gone full retard. The leftists now complain about fascism as they censor any dissenting opinions or anything that they can pretend is bad.

That was my take as well. "Here's an organization that used a method of property destruction without trying to kill people to get attention" "STOP ADVOCATING TERRORISM :byodood:"

I wouldn't last 5 seconds in D&D: I live in the South, got a safe full of guns (though only three are the "bad" kind), a pocket copy of the Constitution, and a rather distrustful (read: paranoid) view of government and its agents as a general rule.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Maybe I don't know the history of the Troubles well, but is "Nobody gets hurt" really a fair way to characterize IRA bombings?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Maybe I don't know the history of the Troubles well, but is "Nobody gets hurt" really a fair way to characterize IRA bombings?

Not in the slightest, no. Two acquaintances of mine were killed and my friend's dad was crippled for life in the South Quay bomb, which was the relaunch of the "spectaculars" campaign. The intention was supposed to be just to cause economic damage, but a ton of ANFO going off in the middle of a city can, astonishingly, have unintended consequences.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just don't ever go in D&D. There is absolutely nothing of value in that entire forum.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

Just don't ever go in D&D. There is absolutely nothing of value in that entire forum.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Key words: "without trying", and I'd imagine there's a fuckoff big "allegedly" attached to that as well.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Less D&D, more things that will make slavvy super angry when he returns. Thank you.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Say what you will about the 690 but it's better on paper compared to others in it's class. It's better than other because it's a race bike out of the box and that's what matters.

That's why the slogan is "ready to race" and not "ready to pour money into it to make it as good as KTM"

Howdy stranger! How have you been?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Coydog posted:

Say what you will about the 690 but it's better on paper compared to others in it's class. It's better than other because it's a race bike out of the box and that's what matters.

That's why the slogan is "ready to race" and not "ready to pour money into it to make it as good as KTM"

Howdy stranger! How have you been?

Good! Been so busy with work and a baby that I haven't done any bike stuff! I'm planning on getting the zrx cleaned up in the next week or two on a sunny weekend. I haven't done any good riding in a long time. #newdadlife

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I think we can all agree that if you're used to a high powered Mustang and haven't hit a pedestrian yet, you can definitely start on a Daytona or GSX-R, just keep it under a liter.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

New Zealand is perfectly logical and fair when it comes to enforcing laws and penalties against motorcyclist. Anyone who gets caught up with cops down there probably had it coming to them.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Speeding is super dangerous, I'm glad that law enforcement is so militant about making sure the criminals that exceed the limits by even a mere km/h are punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Coredump posted:

New Zealand is perfectly logical and fair when it comes to enforcing laws and penalties against motorcyclist. Anyone who gets caught up with cops down there probably had it coming to them.

If you genocide all your brown people you can't bitch about white privilege either.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Coredump posted:

New Zealand is perfectly logical and fair when it comes to enforcing laws and penalties against motorcyclist.

Not to mention laws about potentially Australian passports and entering/leaving the country.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

captainOrbital posted:

Not to mention laws about potentially Australian passports and entering/leaving the country.

Aww. :( that one is actually kinda mean

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Chichevache posted:

Good! Been so busy with work and a baby that I haven't done any bike stuff! I'm planning on getting the zrx cleaned up in the next week or two on a sunny weekend. I haven't done any good riding in a long time. #newdadlife

:hfive: #newdadnotridingorsleepinglife

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Carburator synching is for chumps.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Parallel twin engines pretty much have no equal. Get your stupid vtwins out of here.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Coredump posted:

Parallel twin engines pretty much have no equal. Get your stupid vtwins out of here.

Oh now them's fightin' words :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Beach Bum posted:

Oh now them's fightin' words :argh:

Gonna step in here and say the parallel twin in my KTM 790 Duke is real good, but they did something with the firing order or something to make it feel more V-twinny so it probably doesn't count. Either that or they did some secret Austrian ritual to actually make a p twin good.