Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I am also disappointed in the lack of Big Dick Podrick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Admiral Ray posted:

She doesn't act like that in the books. She's invited to Qarth by Pyat Pree and Xaro. Show Dany is a lot dumber and more reliant on her advisers than book Dany.

apologies to georgie. i assumed it played out the same with xaro letting her in as part of his scheme. should've assumed it was d&D...

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really enjoyed the gathering of popular main characters. I'm surprised Tormund didn't get a vote.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

TulliusCicero posted:

Why did she even want to go exploring? Did the Hound and Arya or Gendry and Arya or loving ANYONE and Arya ever have a conversation about "hey I want to be an explorer because that sounds really cool, and I would do that if I wasn't killing people horribly all the time"

She wonders what's west of Westeros to the actress she befriends in Braavos.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Diet Crack posted:

So Bran basically duped them all into doing his bidding for the Iron Throne.

I can't deny this season felt and displayed as entirely rushed - we went from having multiple story arcs across multiple seasons all concluding across 3-4 weeks, it was kind of weird.

It was a cool show while it lasted, I think personally another 1-2 seasons would've capped it off nicely if they'd gone down this plot route now and extended it out. The undead/night king defeat should've been the focus of this season with the fates of the major characters in the following season.

Yeah, HBO would have been happy to let the show take as long as they needed to finish the show, but D&D insisted on two seasons. And not just that, but two half seasons. If they had admitted to themselves that they were burnt out of the show and left it to more interested writers/producers and stepped away, it would have been for the better. Instead they phoned it in and everyone's let down by how apathetic the show ended up. I don't mind the actual endings for the characters (well, except for king bran, that was just dumb full stop), it's how abruptly they got there that makes it so disappointing.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

As Nero Danced posted:

Yeah, HBO would have been happy to let the show take as long as they needed to finish the show, but D&D insisted on two seasons. And not just that, but two half seasons. If they had admitted to themselves that they were burnt out of the show and left it to more interested writers/producers and stepped away, it would have been for the better. Instead they phoned it in and everyone's let down by how apathetic the show ended up. I don't mind the actual endings for the characters (well, except for king bran, that was just dumb full stop), it's how abruptly they got there that makes it so disappointing.

It was going to inherent bad once they switched the format from soap opera to heroic tale.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The Lord of Light is real, and actually has real power over the world, to the point of being able to revive people who were dead.

The people of Westeros continue to worship their false pantheon of not real gods

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

Steve2911 posted:

I really enjoyed the gathering of popular main characters. I'm surprised Tormund didn't get a vote.

If tormund had had the foresight to sneak in and intimidate Jaime and Tyrion he could have become a great lord

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Normy posted:

She wonders what's west of Westeros to the actress she befriends in Braavos.

Ah, so it's just another throwaway callback line, reusing content from better seasons instead of writing any new dialogue. Got it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

worshipping a god when he won't grant you an afterlife is bullshit imo.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Away all Goats posted:

The Lord of Light is real, and actually has real power over the world, to the point of being able to revive people who were dead.

The people of Westeros continue to worship their false pantheon of not real gods

This is one of the funnier aspects of the mythology of the show, he’s a very active deity dropping resurrection, magic and miracles constantly and nobody gives a poo poo, here on Earth though we only had one resurrection and then 2000 years of worship.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

they should have picked john wick to be king. john wick fuckin rules dude

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Macaluso posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4otUUhUom9Q

This scene was also so good. This dude just chewed up all the scenery he was in

Now that I'm looking for it, there a modern handrail on the wall side of the staircase he's walking down.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
It's interesting to hear the British side of things; to hear what all these British actors and actresses have to tell us about the world in general through their TV show. Their message for us seems to be, "It's no big deal at all when a kingdom decides to break off from a loose, mutually beneficial union of countries. It's a smooth, easy process. Just sever previous economic and political relationships for the sake of independence if you're suspicious of foreigners."

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Spun Dog posted:

Now that I'm looking for it, there a modern handrail on the wall side of the staircase he's walking down.

Handrailwaterstarbucksgate!

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Can’t believe I avoided S8 spoilers and then marathoned that garbage fire this weekend. 3 things would’ve made it about 1000 times better:

1. Instead of going off the deep end and napalming all the innocent peasants (after seeing herself all series long as the protector of the innocent downtrodden and helpless) dragon lady should’ve gone paranoid psycho on Jon and ordered her troops to turn on the Northmen.

2. Instead of setting up Cersei as this evil bitch and making us hate her for the entire series only to just drop a ceiling on her, effectively suffering the same fate as all the innocent peasants and by analogy making her just another innocent victim of dragon lady’s madness, Arya should’ve ran into Jaimie on his way up, murdered him and taken his face, then gotten Cersei to admit to all her evilness, then drop the disguise as she’s gutting her.

3. Instead of just chuckling at Jon and not saying anything, the Night King and Jon should’ve dialogued a bit, talked about how Jon himself came back from the dead, why the undead even exist, etc. Then loving Jon should’ve been the one to kill him.

Bonus round: Instead of defeating the Night King first he should’ve been the final villain, you know, so that an entire loving series of nonstop ‘winter is coming’ isn’t dealt with in one episode, midseason, and winter lasts like a day.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bleck posted:

hey everyone check out how much I don't care. please punch my Cool Card when you have completed checking it out

I do care. I am one of the few people who enjoyed this show beginning to end. The last episode pretty clearly spelled out the theme of the show, what with Drogon melting the throne.

The writers mostly threw the supernatural poo poo by the wayside, except when narratively convenient, likely because GRRM himself doesn't have answers to things like who Azor Ahai is. Once we got to the show's version of The House of the Undying I pretty much accepted that the book prophecies were going to be given short shrift. I was disappointed in this and maybe I adjusted my expectations accordingly.

But who knows, maybe Lady Stoneheart will appear next episode.

Regardless of how one feels about the show, Game of Thrones will be an object lesson in why adapting an unfinished work is a bad idea.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Did anyone talk about how dirty they did Jon? This guy did the hard thing at every turn. He saved the freefolk, the Night's Watch, his family, retook Winterfell, united a bunch of squabbling bitches to fight the Army of the Dead, and literally plunged Lightbringer into Dany's heart, and his reward was being sent to Siberia. Jesus Christ he has a worse life than Wolverine

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Ah, so it's just another throwaway callback line, reusing content from better seasons instead of writing any new dialogue. Got it.

I believe you mean brilliant foreshadowing!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Alec Eiffel posted:

I do care. I am one of the few people who enjoyed this show beginning to end. The last episode pretty clearly spelled out the theme of the show, what with Drogon melting the throne.

yes that's the problem

it's clear to the point of being like incredibly hammy GET IT level symbolism

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

That DICK! posted:

they should have picked john wick to be king. john wick fuckin rules dude

Everyone knows this is how it should have really ended:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
"The most important people are the storytellers" wrote the fat man who once lovingly crafted an interminable description of a young woman violently making GBS threads herself to death.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
I still remember being that nerdy kid in the late 90's in high school reading game of thrones and people wondering what that weird rear end poo poo was. To watch this show become a cultural icon was really, really weird.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is from like 7 years ago but still lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUnLXqDkqVM

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

DoctorGonzo posted:

what was the loving point of this show and or the books?

what story they tried to tell?

i cant rememeber a show so grandiose but yet so empty.

cersei didnt matter, the night king didnt matter, dany didnt matter. watching this after chernobyl and holy gently caress this show is bad. they even stole from LOTR with the boat scene, the writing in the book scene. just what the gently caress they where trying to do? im baffled.

It’s a commercial for managerial liberalism

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Why did Littlefinger bother plotting and backstabbing? Bronn went from an illiterate sellsword to the lord of the single most powerful kingdom (especially with no more Lannister gold) and the Master of Coin in the span of like 7 years.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Can't wait for the Ayra, and Drogon spin off where she becomes a lumberjack. "Noooo Drogon stop burning up all the trees I need to sell those". That's what we call flame maple.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 21, 2019

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Dumb Lowtax posted:

It's interesting to hear the British side of things; to hear what all these British actors and actresses have to tell us about the world in general through their TV show. Their message for us seems to be, "It's no big deal at all when a kingdom decides to break off from a loose, mutually beneficial union of countries. It's a smooth, easy process. Just sever previous economic and political relationships for the sake of independence if you're suspicious of foreigners."

this is just a joke or w/e but there is a tremendous difference between dividing up modern integrated economic blocs in globalized capitalism vs switching around which feudal Lord you pay taxes to in a mostly agrarian peasant society.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

DoctorGonzo posted:

what was the loving point of this show and or the books?

what story they tried to tell?

i cant rememeber a show so grandiose but yet so empty.

cersei didnt matter, the night king didnt matter, dany didnt matter. watching this after chernobyl and holy gently caress this show is bad. they even stole from LOTR with the boat scene, the writing in the book scene. just what the gently caress they where trying to do? im baffled.

It's about family, and that is what is so powerful about it.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Family Values posted:

Can’t believe I avoided S8 spoilers and then marathoned that garbage fire this weekend. 3 things would’ve made it about 1000 times better:

1. Instead of going off the deep end and napalming all the innocent peasants (after seeing herself all series long as the protector of the innocent downtrodden and helpless) dragon lady should’ve gone paranoid psycho on Jon and ordered her troops to turn on the Northmen.

2. Instead of setting up Cersei as this evil bitch and making us hate her for the entire series only to just drop a ceiling on her, effectively suffering the same fate as all the innocent peasants and by analogy making her just another innocent victim of dragon lady’s madness, Arya should’ve ran into Jaimie on his way up, murdered him and taken his face, then gotten Cersei to admit to all her evilness, then drop the disguise as she’s gutting her.

3. Instead of just chuckling at Jon and not saying anything, the Night King and Jon should’ve dialogued a bit, talked about how Jon himself came back from the dead, why the undead even exist, etc. Then loving Jon should’ve been the one to kill him.

Bonus round: Instead of defeating the Night King first he should’ve been the final villain, you know, so that an entire loving series of nonstop ‘winter is coming’ isn’t dealt with in one episode, midseason, and winter lasts like a day.

Oh yeah,was i the only one who expected the night king to talk? The bit where he smirked and then later staring at bran? that would have been wicked......*sigh*

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

"She was mad all along, we were just too blind to see it. It's important that we learn from these mistakes and move forward.

I suggest we crown the scary tree boy with strong psychopathic tendencies, a complete disinterest in anything and a history of using and discarding those beneath him for his own ends. And lets give him a borderline mocking title."

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad for the happy ending to the story where the guy with the most evil and convoluted long term plan to use everyone in the world to amass power for himself, brynden rivers, won

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Oh yeah,was i the only one who expected the night king to talk? The bit where he smirked and then later staring at bran? that would have been wicked......*sigh*

There were two ways they should have handled the Night King, either he's this emotionless monster that is single mindedly marching South because he's been activated by magic or w.e. and he's resuming his original programming which is to wipe out all mankind, he's a force of nature if you will. Or there's a lot more to his character and he has emotions, intelligence, agency etc, perhaps a personal quest for revenge against the 3 eyed raven or the children of the forest. What they did was hint at both and not bother to explore either way, instead just rushing his death so they could skip to King's Landing.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 21, 2019

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Davros1 posted:

"And having no further concern, he and his companions sought adventure in the West. Many wars and feuds did Conan fight. Honor and fear were heaped upon his name and, in time, he became a king by his own hand... And this story is what should have been told."

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Just Chamber posted:

There were two ways they should have handled the Night King, either he's this emotionless monster that is single mindedly marching South because he's been activated by magic or w.e. and he's resuming his original programming which is to wipe out all mankind, he's a force of nature if you will. Or there's a lot more to his character and he has emotions, intelligence, agency etc, perhaps a personal quest for revenge against the 3 eyed raven or the children of the forest. What they did was hint at both and not bother to explore either way, instead just rushing his death so they could skip to King's Landing.

I would have been willing to bet on number 1 up until the smirk after dragon fire

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You know, all of the characters are going to have to get to loving if they want to rebuild those houses.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

twistedmentat posted:

You know, all of the characters are going to have to get to loving if they want to rebuild those houses.

That's what I was thinking watching Dany, practically the only woman left for miles, addressing her all-men army of roving rapists in a completely de-populated city, who just unexpectedly lost all the spoils of their fighting when she burned all the civilians to a crisp

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Conan would have killed soooooo many GoT characters. The show would've lasted only 2-3 seasons.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Did I miss the part where they explained what the Dothraki were going to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Did I miss the part where they explained what the Dothraki were going to do?

Nah D&D did