Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

You and an enemy are fighting in an area. NPC catapult comes out of nowhere and knocks you and only you down. How/ Why is this possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
The world hates you?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Zotix posted:

You and an enemy are fighting in an area. NPC catapult comes out of nowhere and knocks you and only you down. How/ Why is this possible?

Camp has random trebuchet fire. Such is life

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Ristolaz posted:

In the same vein I will implore everyone: If you are playing frontline and using a war axe or battle axe, and you can spare 1 loadout point, PLEASE take Wrecker. With a war axe it lets you neutralize spikes in two hits, and lets you tear down the bigger walls very quickly

I have a loadout with battleaxe, 2 firebombs and wrecker that I pull out specifically for the situations where enemy builders are going crazy.
Once or twice I've managed to nab a horse and do drive-by-firebombings on their ballista nests which is pretty hilarious.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

Camp has random trebuchet fire. Such is life

Ya but why isn't he knocked down as well?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

You were in the radius and he wasn't.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

You were in the radius and he wasn't.

We were on top of each other. Bug, got it. Just like when people swing through mountain sides, and you can't. Got it.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Chivalry had some of the finest voice acting and writing of any video game, so its hard to match.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Zotix posted:

Maybe he was in the middle of a riposte? I know ripostes prevent interruption by melee attacks. Maybe the riposte super-armor works on catapult knockdowns too.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Zotix posted:

We were on top of each other. Bug, got it. Just like when people swing through mountain sides, and you can't. Got it.

If you have the answer why were you asking?

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Glenn Quebec posted:

If you have the answer why were you asking?

Because they want to complain about the game in an annoying, passive aggressive way.

They meant to say, "man this game has some bugs that are bullshit abloobloobloo" :cry:

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

TorakFade posted:

More maps can't come soon enough. It's getting pretty stale after about 20h of gameplay, most of it in Frontline, to only ever see 4 maps (and most people tend to hate Taiga because of its imbalance, so really people play Grad, Camp and Mountain Peak almost exclusively)

I use cruel voice only because screaming "TEAR THEM ASUNDER" never gets old. What do the other voices say that is really funny?

Also been trying the maul, I'm bad at getting headshots so I'm bad with it in general. It seems that if you don't regularly headshot, the eveningstar is longer, faster and just as strong (2 hit kills on body no matter what the armor, 1 hit kill on light helmets) plus much more versatile with alt grip and a decent thrust.

Also trying out the greatsword in stead of the poleaxe I was using, and boy that's strong. Doing some more damage in general but slightly less effective at thrusting and a tiny bit slower. Not sure which one to keep as main, honestly.

I know its a loving shame the Kickstarter didn't hit the crusade goal to add more maps.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Considering the amount of money they've made on sales alone, I don't think it matters. They've made more than enough on this game to justify providing new content.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I can definitely see some crusades stuff making it in, they made around 300k off of their kickstarter and the occasional key sales for beta testing to make the base game with, and then they made like 50 times that in the first week of sales alone. There's stuff I'd like to see them do before other things, but I'm definitely down for new maps at a minimum. They've already posted pictures for the first new one coming out, a small italian-looking port town.

e: added a new tutorial video to the OP, some good stuff in here for people starting to get more comfortable with the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gogd0Wjgvw

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 20, 2019

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arsonide posted:

I play a lot of cavalry, and I try to charge into fights and take out the enemy, but since it's a melee fight it's very often very close to a friendly with the situational awareness of a fruitbat, or at the very least compromised situational awareness due to being in a fight.

So I'm charging in with a couched lance and this friendly is dodging left and right sporadically. I'm usually able to avoid murdering him, but since I have to pass the enemy to my right, more often than not the friendly takes a little trample damage. I often wonder what their reaction to these "assists" is...
  • Thanks horse bro.
  • I'm pissed because an ally just did damage to me.
  • I'm pissed because an ally just took my kill.
  • I'm pissed because an ally just interrupted my fight. (Slightly different attitude from "kill stealing".)
  • Or perhaps they are just laughing, because this is usually my reaction when a guy gets couch impaled out of nowhere right in front of me.

So more often than not I try to find enemies that haven't made it to the fight yet, that are lagging behind, or intentionally staying behind (artillery, archers). Also the occasional horse on horse action, which I try to prioritize over killing enemy ground troops.

I kind of think this should be Taiga. It's a lovely map for horses anyway. I don't know why they are there.

i almost always get trampled when im backing up to heal and then seconds later get cut down because the horseman made a hole in our line. so my reaction is pretty much to always swing for every horse i see, regardless of who's riding it, because i hate them and why are they even in this loving game?! plus that they're usually either, at best, contributing nothing to the match, or they're spawncamping you, etc

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
If you don't have a dedicated anti-cav guy armed with a billhook / longspear that you can swap into at the drop of a hat when horses are wrecking your team, do it. There's nothing as satisfying as taking those fuckers down then going about your business.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Zotix posted:

He was good at the game and you are bad at it

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Larry Parrish posted:

i almost always get trampled when im backing up to heal and then seconds later get cut down because the horseman made a hole in our line. so my reaction is pretty much to always swing for every horse i see, regardless of who's riding it, because i hate them and why are they even in this loving game?! plus that they're usually either, at best, contributing nothing to the match, or they're spawncamping you, etc

Horses are one of the best parts of this game

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
My only irritations with horses are watching them go full Skyrim physics sliding down camp's giant mass if spike barricades or even ramping off the tiny steps of some of the blacksmith hammer built walls to thread the needle through it's hole.

That and how the useless 2 damage graze interrupts you. It's so sad you can't even be mad, it's just an awkward waste of everyone's time where horse guy doesn't get a sweet drive by kill, and people on foot don't slam the rider off their horse. So my whole problem with strings of 2 damage interrupts until somebody finally lands a proper hit is that whoever makes the kill in the end, it just doesn't feel badass anymore because it's the fourth pass after three mutual gently caress ups :sigh:

At least somebody cutting your head off on the first go is funny.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 21, 2019

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Midgetskydiver posted:

There's nothing as satisfying as taking those fuckers down then going about your business.

This, but with a rock.

Rocks are fantastic. You won't top the scoreboard, but people will beeline for you the second you start pelting them, allowing your team to swoop in and do the heavy lifting. Sometimes you'll steal a kill or two. Dodge-Brawler with Friendly, double rocks and a quarterstaff. I'm a fooking legend!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Perestroika posted:

Please help I'm addicted to Dodge and can't make any classes without it.

agreed never take dodge it will break you

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I'm glad I gave this game a chance. I loved the idea of Chivalry but couldn't get into it, but Mordhau is just so much drat fun. I'm finally no longer panic parrying and can do some fun stuff like morph a chamber or dodge around stabs for sweet counter hits and such and it's so loving glorious when it goes well. I'm trying to get better at ducking under lateral swings but it's way harder than it looks.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
At risk of starting up bigotry chat again, there was a dev/community manager on one of the official US Central servers earlier this evening dropping some not so subtle hints about handing out bans to people using slurs or being shits in general. :unsmith:

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

timn posted:

At risk of starting up bigotry chat again, there was a dev/community manager on one of the official US Central servers earlier this evening dropping some not so subtle hints about handing out bans to people using slurs or being shits in general. :unsmith:

the drama that would cause would be amazing

was he talking full gamebans or just from official servers?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
They have a post on reddit announcing that they will ban for racism on the official servers.

Problem is they're a tiny team who's never dealt with community management before and I'm pretty sure their entire moderation effort is one guy on discord who you have to PM reports to.

edit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mordhau/comments/bng970/mordhau_official_server_rules/ posted:

The Official Mordau Server Rules are as follows:

1. Hacking/Cheats:
Advertising or using or 3rd-party software to gain an unfair advantage is strictly disallowed and will result in a permanent ban from official and unofficial servers. Reshade and other graphical changes are permitted.

2. Exploiting:
Intentionally using exploits found within the game to gain an advantage (clipping through map objects, etc.) is disallowed and may result in a temporary/permanent ban from official servers.

3. Racism, prejudice and offensive content:
Use of derogatory, offensive terms on official servers is not allowed. Conduct yourself in a polite manner or you may be temporarily/permanently banned from official servers.

4. Griefing:
Intentional and repeated harassment such as intentional team killing, constant suiciding, blocking friendly spawn areas, stream sniping etc. is prohibited and may result in a temporary/permanent ban from official servers.

5. Abusing votekick:
Abusing the vote-kick system (random kicking of players, votekick ‘rigging’ with multiple players etc.) is not allowed. Only use the vote-kick function to remove disruptive or offensive players from the server.

Rules may be subject to change at any time.

If you would like to file a report against a disruptive player, make an appeal, or address any concerns/complaints with the official server rules, please contact moderator via DM on discord @ https://discordapp.com/invite/mordhau.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

timn posted:

This is great news.

I heard some scuttlebutt that they will in fact be adding additional skin color options with a patch soon, and if that is the case (as embarrassing as it is that the game didn't launch with them and I will remember this as a downside forever,) then I'm perfectly fine with buying this game up again.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I'm watching the Community Manager play right now and he said that there were small nerfs to horses incoming, and that female character models would also be added soon. He said that there would be a setting to only display male models for people who wanted to "preserve historical accuracy" (said with air quotes and heavy sarcasm), as well as a setting to only display female models for those who "only want to play with waifus." He is discussing what the hold up is on adding darker skin tones, and his response is that they are working on new facial models with the proper structure for a given ethnicity rather than just slapping darker tones onto the existing models, as they feel that that is "cheap" and doesn't reflect a real attempt to add diversity. It sounds like they get it and they are trying. https://www.twitch.tv/jaxpc

I like this dude a lot.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Mighty Dicktron posted:

This is great news.

I heard some scuttlebutt that they will in fact be adding additional skin color options with a patch soon, and if that is the case (as embarrassing as it is that the game didn't launch with them and I will remember this as a downside forever,) then I'm perfectly fine with buying this game up again.

Even in response to positive news you still somehow manage to be a miserable poo poo about it. Please go away.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Its slightly annoying how engineering dosn't rack up a lot of points despite being pretty vital... Like the only time you don't need engineers is when they enemy also has none. I'd probably give assists for setting up a ballista and having some other scrub use it so you are incentivized not to be so possessive.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

timn posted:

Even in response to positive news you still somehow manage to be a miserable poo poo about it. Please go away.

No. In fact, according to this news

cerebral posted:

I'm watching the Community Manager play right now and he said that there were small nerfs to horses incoming, and that female character models would also be added soon. He said that there would be a setting to only display male models for people who wanted to "preserve historical accuracy" (said with air quotes and heavy sarcasm), as well as a setting to only display female models for those who "only want to play with waifus." He is discussing what the hold up is on adding darker skin tones, and his response is that they are working on new facial models with the proper structure for a given ethnicity rather than just slapping darker tones onto the existing models, as they feel that that is "cheap" and doesn't reflect a real attempt to add diversity. It sounds like they get it and they are trying. https://www.twitch.tv/jaxpc

I like this dude a lot.

I'm probably gonna be sticking around 'cuz this is genuinely very good news and I'm glad to hear it.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I already have some eastern styled armors (insomuch that I can) so I'm hype for more brown people options

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Motherfucker posted:

Its slightly annoying how engineering dosn't rack up a lot of points despite being pretty vital... Like the only time you don't need engineers is when they enemy also has none. I'd probably give assists for setting up a ballista and having some other scrub use it so you are incentivized not to be so possessive.
Engineer racking up points not down to rebuilding things with a blacksmith hammer is often reliant on how much the enemy channels tom and jerry cartoons, between getting in there and killing people personally.

While my arming sword still gets a workout, it also feels like people are getting smarter about not running into the sharp side if spikes repeatedly, and horses are simply taking advantage of the fact they can ramp off larger objects, when not taking 15 seconds to come by from another angle not blocked by spikes or walls.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I don't really get much kills from my spikes but I tend to use them as one way walls rather than positioning them to actually skewer anyone. Kinda wish you could put down a flat pad of spikes that slows anyone walking over it down or fucks anyone who falls onto it from a distance.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Zotix posted:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

cerebral posted:

He is discussing what the hold up is on adding darker skin tones, and his response is that they are working on new facial models with the proper structure for a given ethnicity rather than just slapping darker tones onto the existing models, as they feel that that is "cheap" and doesn't reflect a real attempt to add diversity. It sounds like they get it and they are trying. https://www.twitch.tv/jaxpc

This is exactly what I hoped they were doing, this is great news. We discussed this earlier in the thread but just giving yourself a dark skin tone with the current faces that just look like different types of Inbred White Dude totally looks like shoepolish blackface and I'm glad they realize that.

You watching Jaxx? He's a treat, not only is he privvy to a lot of insider poo poo and constantly talks about cool poo poo the team is working on, but he's really good at the game as well.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

cerebral posted:

I like this dude a lot.

Wow that's dope. II once asked why I can't play as a female character and 9 out of 10 comments said they started with "historical accuracy", rape jokes, and dumb poo poo like that. They say this as I block a battle axe with a rapier as the skinniest, foppiest person imaginable. gently caress the internet is stupid.

I am very excited to play She-Hulk with a cruel low voice and a war axe.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

right, but i watched it land in between us both and we were maybe 5-7 feet apart. 2h swing range.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Babe Magnet posted:

You watching Jaxx? He's a treat, not only is he privvy to a lot of insider poo poo and constantly talks about cool poo poo the team is working on, but he's really good at the game as well.

Yeah, I'm watching him, not consistently, but he's streaming in the background while I do other stuff. I mentioned earlier how novel it is (at least in my experience) to have a community manager who actively plays their game and is GOOD at the game. It's really fun to watch him beat the poo poo out of the people, instead of the usual faceless drone who only interacts with their community in bland forum posts or cringe-worthy interview streams.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I think he used to be just a prominent high-level player during the alpha and they hired him based on that, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

jokes posted:

Wow that's dope. II once asked why I can't play as a female character and 9 out of 10 comments said they started with "historical accuracy", rape jokes, and dumb poo poo like that. They say this as I block a battle axe with a rapier as the skinniest, foppiest person imaginable. gently caress the internet is stupid.

I am very excited to play She-Hulk with a cruel low voice and a war axe.

He had what sounded like a pretty good take on the whole "historical accuracy" argument and how the Mordhau developers see the game and how it is not historically accurate. They view it as "historical fiction", as opposed to "fantasy". So things are grounded in reality, but not limited to reality, and how everyone will draw that line at different places, but they are grounded in a medieval warfare setting, and women and non-white people existed in that setting. I don't want to put words in his mouth, I was only half listening at that point, but it seemed like a fairly reasonable and well thought out viewpoint on the subject. Or at least as reasonable and well thought out as one can make an argument while stabbing people in the face with a bastard sword.

I kind of tune out any argument about video games and realism because I fail to see how anyone can make a good faith argument that realism is something possible or even desirable in a video game.