Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's loving snowing here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Most people just look at catholics now as generic christians. They're not, because of the mountain of dogma and poo poo, but most non-catholics really don't give a gently caress these days anyhow unless you're brown.

Klan wouldn't give much of a gently caress these days.

Yep. When the Religious Right decided to get politically active in the 1980s, they traded religious orthodoxy for political orthodoxy to attract new allies, including the Roman Catholics.
Until they get their Dominionist wish, the needs of exerting political power will require the religious tight to keep the Catholics and Mormons as allies.
Thankfully, the closer they get to their desired end state, they won't be able to resist reverting to insisting on religious orthodoxy again, and the alliance will fracture quickly and bloodily.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

(note: not a law goon)

Congressional subpoenas are really weird. Those you can sort of ignore, because the only enforcement mechanism is Contempt of Congress, which usually means nothing. It's not a good *idea* to resist one, but if you have valid lawyering behind your reasons for not appearing/producing, the most Congress will generally do is yell a lot. Maybe they'll start fining you and yell about jailing you, but that takes time, is a pain in the rear end, and usually requires court action. Generally, you don't want to be a dick about avoiding a Congressional subpoena.

It would be a *very very bad idea* to dodge a subpoena from anywhere else. State court, federal court, state police, federal police, etc. That puts you in the judicial/executive branches and they have a *whole lot* of ways to make you comply with their subpoenas that Congress doesn't have.

And the problem is, as todays ruling showed: Trump's lawyers are not doing much better now than when we was a private citizen. Trump doesn't understand the law, and regularly had to settle to avoid the law as a private citizen. So he really doesn't understand that courts don't just accept any excuse to ignore a subpoena.

Even worse for Trump (better for us), all the people he's put into power are rather legally inept as well.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

joat mon posted:

Yep. When the Religious Right decided to get politically active in the 1980s, they traded religious orthodoxy for political orthodoxy to attract new allies, including the Roman Catholics.
Until they get their Dominionist wish, the needs of exerting political power will require the religious tight to keep the Catholics and Mormons as allies.
Thankfully, the closer they get to their desired end state, they won't be able to resist reverting to insisting on religious orthodoxy again, and the alliance will fracture quickly and bloodily.

Funny enough Texas is getting kinda iffy because Republicans have dialed up the racism to 11 and are pushing away Hispanic Catholics who are otherwise single-issue abortion voters. If they could tone it down just a bit this state would be blood red for the next 50 years

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Current event: I live near Crusty Minge, and goddamn that's no joke. Might actually be a snow day at my base if this keeps up overnight.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CommieGIR posted:

Even worse for Trump (better for us), all the people he's put into power are rather legally inept as well.

I'm kinda betting that the Trump legal strategy is going to be foiled by the speed of the courts. The court system is *notoriously* slow, which is the bedrock of their legal strategy. But their legal arguments are so terrible that the courts are likely going to expedite the hearings, like this district court did, and toss them quick.

Plus, Congress is requesting expedited actions, as their subpoenas only last through the remaining congressional term (end of December 2020). I'd be willing to bet that for a lot of this poo poo, Donnie's appeals get denied, it goes to the Supreme Court, and the Court promptly denies a stay and denies certiorari too so they never even take the case.

The companies are definitely going to start cooperating, but the real fun is going to start when administration people start defying court orders and start going to jail for (judicial) contempt. :toot:

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

Too fair to worship, too divine to love...

:thunk:

https://twitter.com/ballisticswift/status/1130484014517837824?s=21

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Arc Light posted:

Current event: I live near Crusty Minge, and goddamn that's no joke. Might actually be a snow day at my base if this keeps up overnight.

It's probably going to be gone before noon tomorrow, but drat if it doesn't seem weird. I think the last snow of last spring was around May 2nd.

It's only going to be worse when I buy land up in the 8-9k feet range and play farmer dumbass with an old tractor.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

I'm kinda betting that the Trump legal strategy is going to be foiled by the speed of the courts. The court system is *notoriously* slow, which is the bedrock of their legal strategy. But their legal arguments are so terrible that the courts are likely going to expedite the hearings, like this district court did, and toss them quick.

Plus, Congress is requesting expedited actions, as their subpoenas only last through the remaining congressional term (end of December 2020). I'd be willing to bet that for a lot of this poo poo, Donnie's appeals get denied, it goes to the Supreme Court, and the Court promptly denies a stay and denies certiorari too so they never even take the case.

The companies are definitely going to start cooperating, but the real fun is going to start when administration people start defying court orders and start going to jail for (judicial) contempt. :toot:

I'd not bet against it. The problem is, Conservative courts or not, Trump's fighting constitutional laws, and even the Judge basically said "Uhhhh....this is pretty well outlined in the Constitution as something Congress can do, you can appeal it for sure, but I see no reason to pause this, as the appeal will also likely fail"

Trump doesn't understand, executive office or not, that he doesn't have any legal grounds for the actions he's trying to do.

And yeah, the SCOTUS may have a good Conservative Bias, but I don't think they are ready to take Constitution shredding cases on such flimsy grounds, and even the Conservative judges are picky about their cases.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

a play in 2 acts:

quote:

Dillon mayor-elect turns self in on child sex charges

by Tonya Brown, Elizabeth Thomas

Wednesday, May 8th 2019

DILLON COUNTY, S.C. (WPDE) — Dillon Mayor-Elect Corey Jackson turned himself in Wednesday morning at the Dillon County Detention Center.

Jackson is charged with 11 counts of first-degree sexual exploitation of a minor.

Jackson said a prayer with his pastor and family before he walked into the jail.

At his bond hearing Wednesday afternoon, Jackson's bond was set at $50,000.

Evidence presented at the bond hearing showed Jackson was soliciting pictures from boys on Snapchat, with a total of nine alleged victims-- the youngest of whom is 15. The prosecution said Jackson was offering money-- up to $1,000-- for photos of the boys' penises. The prosecution also said Jackson, instead of money, would offer up nude photos of females in exchange for those photos. The allegations date back to June of 2017. 

A female took the stand and asked the judge to not allow Jackson access to a phone or computers. It's not clear her connection to the case.

As part of his bond agreement, Jackson is ordered to not have contact with any of the alleged victims.

Jackson's pastor said he casts no judgment on Jackson or his family, saying he's going to be there for one of the sheep in his flock.

Jackson was elected earlier this month and is expected to become the city's first new mayor in a decade when he takes office. Jackson is expected to take office next week.

quote:

Dillon-mayor elect arrested again after car crash

by Tonya Brown

Friday, May 10th 2019

DILLON COUNTY, S.C. (WPDE) — Dillon Mayor-Elect Corey Jackson was released from the Dillon County Detention Center on personal recognizance bond after being arrested Friday afternoon, according to an employee at the detention center.

A source says Jackson was involved in a minor car crash Friday and his license was run by the Dillon Police Department; Jackson is charged with driving under suspension.

State police arrested Jackson this week and charged him with 11 counts of first-degree sexual exploitation of a minor.

A magistrate judge set bond for Jackson at $50,000 during a hearing at the Dillon County Judicial Center.

Evidence presented at the bond hearing showed Jackson was soliciting pictures from boys on Snapchat, with a total of nine alleged victims-- the youngest of whom is 15. The prosecution said Jackson was offering money-- up to $1,000-- for photos of the boys' penises. The prosecution also said Jackson, instead of money, would offer up nude photos of females in exchange for those photos. The allegations date back to June of 2017.

Jackson was elected earlier this month and is expected to become the city's first new mayor in a decade when he takes office. Jackson is expected to take office Monday.

The governor's authority to suspend an elected official, according to the state's constitution, only goes into effect when an elected official has been indicted by a grand jury. While the mayor-elect has been arrested, the governor's office is not aware of a formal indictment at this point.

Calls to the Dillon Police Dept. for more information have not yet been returned.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

Gotta remember that Americans tend to dislike and distrust Catholicism. Him being Catholic was the major reason JFK nearly didn't get elected

Also Ireland voted to legalize gay marriage and abortion.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

If the saudis send ground troops we are going to see some atrocities that are going to give even the seals reason to complain, right

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

As long as we’ve got Trigger and the rest of the LRSSG in the air, we’ll be OK, even if the Arsenal Bird and its MQ-99s show up.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It's going to be 99 before June where I'm at currently lol

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Arc Light posted:

Yeah it's coming down like crazy here, wouldn't be surprised to wake up to at least half a foot.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

At least I don’t have to report to jury duty 15 miles away tomorrow. OTOH I was supposed to take a fitness test on Wednesday and this snow might make it a shitshow

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

(note: not a law goon)

Congressional subpoenas are really weird. Those you can sort of ignore, because the only enforcement mechanism is Contempt of Congress, which usually means nothing. It's not a good *idea* to resist one, but if you have valid lawyering behind your reasons for not appearing/producing, the most Congress will generally do is yell a lot. Maybe they'll start fining you and yell about jailing you, but that takes time, is a pain in the rear end, and usually requires court action. Generally, you don't want to be a dick about avoiding a Congressional subpoena.

It would be a *very very bad idea* to dodge a subpoena from anywhere else. State court, federal court, state police, federal police, etc. That puts you in the judicial/executive branches and they have a *whole lot* of ways to make you comply with their subpoenas that Congress doesn't have.

Ok so its not me, its just that congress is just able to mess up anything

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
gently caress another loving puddle hopper went down. Number 3 in two weeks.

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Float-plane-crash-reported-near-Metlakatla-Coast-Guard-responding-510192071.html

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah it's coming down like crazy here, wouldn't be surprised to wake up to at least half a foot.

Just walked Frank and all the trees are sagging like old lady tits. This poo poo just seems silly.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I'm enjoying the snow, but it certainly is a surprise

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's raining all over California. In late May.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Oh no, there’s weather in California?!

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It was 3 degrees C in Perth, Western Australia the other morning. Not even loving June and I'm de-icing my car.

Next 10 years gonna be wild.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

hobbesmaster posted:

Oh no, there’s weather in California?!

In all seriousness there usually isn't.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
It's jacket weather in Vegas this week (at least in the evenings). It was 97 two weeks ago. It should be inching closer and closer to the 100+ range but nope.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

It's jacket weather in Vegas this week (at least in the evenings). It was 97 two weeks ago. It should be inching closer and closer to the 100+ range but nope.

Well poo poo that's more proof than congress is working with

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Stravag posted:

Well poo poo that's more proof than congress is working with

No, see, if global warming real how come Vegas cold checkmate liberals

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Well last time they pulled that they had kept the snowball in a freezer overnight. You have actual temperatures

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/heatherscope/st...ingawful.com%2F

What economic message have they been putting out???

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Hot Karl Marx posted:

https://twitter.com/heatherscope/st...ingawful.com%2F

What economic message have they been putting out???

"Don't rock the boat."

Their stock portfolios have increased 12% in the last year, their real estate investments have almost doubled. DNC leadership doesn't want anything that could hurt their net worth.

BigDave fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 21, 2019

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/Freeyourmindkid/status/1130781671761092608

quote:

"I do not think courts should be involved in marriage at all," Republican representative Bryan Zollinger said. "I don’t believe there should be a license required to get married. I think two willing people should be able to go and get married."

Republican Representative Christy Zito mentioned abortion, which is legal in Idaho before age 18 with approval from a parent or judge, when discussing the vote.

"It will then become easier in the state of Idaho to obtain an abortion at 15-and-a-half years old than it will to decide to form a family," Zito said, according to Boise State Public Radio.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Just admit you want to gently caress 14 year olds legally.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Idaho. Where no woman should go willingly.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Idaho, deep south of the wild west.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

People talk about how the Senate is an important instrument to preserve the traditions and values of individual states, but what's really distinct about the specific flavor of backwardsness in Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, and the Dakotas? These child fuckers get to hold 10% of the Senate with a combined population similar to the SF metro area.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

People talk about how the Senate is an important instrument to preserve the traditions and values of individual states, but what's really distinct about the specific flavor of backwardsness in Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, and the Dakotas? These child fuckers get to hold 10% of the Senate with a combined population similar to the SF metro area.

I think you're being generous with your population comparison there.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

psydude posted:

I think you're being generous with your population comparison there.

It's about 5 million each

bengy81
May 8, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

You need to add in Colorado and Nebraska to get close to the population of the bay area. Having said that your point is valid, although the most ghoulish senators still seem to come from the South.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

bengy81 posted:

You need to add in Colorado and Nebraska to get close to the population of the bay area. Having said that your point is valid, although the most ghoulish senators still seem to come from the South.

The 'moderate' Republicans will vote in lockstep with the ghoulish brethern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

cool cool cool cool

https://twitter.com/BabakTaghvaee/status/1130466204139819009