Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Grump posted:

I work on a small team of 5 people and we don't have any designated team lead. This means that whenever someone from another department needs some front-end expertise for a feature, someone from our team gets chosen at random to attend meetings about said feature.

Today I picked up a ticket from our JIRA board that was unassigned but someone else on my team had done the requirements gathering (and probably assumed he was going to be the one to work on it). Am I a dick for picking this ticket up when someone else did all the leg work? This is literally stressing me out so much, but I'm also getting sick of this "This dev went to the meetings so the feature is his" mentality

Just ask him. Not via email but in person. You will pick up if he minds or not soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Most problems are solved by imperfect communication a lot better than they are by perfect conjecture

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 9, 2019

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Yes i did the adult thing and talked to him about it this is a non issue.

But boy was i stressed about it

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
You're definitely not alone in agonizing over something that turns out to be a complete non-issue!

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

as long as you do the leg work and make the problem go away no one cares. jira and tfs aren't reality.

jira is such a loving waste of time

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The default project layout and workflow in JIRA are completely idiotic, but of course Scrum says every team has an inherent right to get in the way of their own progress, so…

I have mine set up with three boards: Triage, Prioritization, and Tasks. The purpose of the Triage board is to decide 1) what an issue means and 2) whether or not we should do it. The only purpose of the Prioritization board is to take only the issues that have made it through Triage and get them in the right order. The Tasks board has the usual Ready, In Progress, Review, and Done columns, with only prioritized issues appearing in the Ready column. As long as the Tasks board has stuff in it, I don't need to think about the other two boards (and the rest of the backlog).

Of course, I'm the only developer here, so I don't know how this would work with an actual Scrum or Kanban team.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

My experience of scrum/kanban/jira is that it only works if you have a terrifying Ukrainian woman in charge of everything who spends every loving hour making sure that there is not a single loving blocker anywhere and the second you add a task that is not up to scratch she calls you and asks in a heavy accent whether you want to ruin your day or you want to fix that loving task right now. Anything less than an Ivana, people get lazy.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

cynic posted:

Anything less than an Ivana, people get lazy.

Ivana sounds cool and good.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

cynic posted:

My experience of scrum/kanban/jira is that it only works if you have a terrifying Ukrainian woman in charge of everything who spends every loving hour making sure that there is not a single loving blocker anywhere and the second you add a task that is not up to scratch she calls you and asks in a heavy accent whether you want to ruin your day or you want to fix that loving task right now. Anything less than an Ivana, people get lazy.

Hey imagine that jira is just a tool that needs to be used in a disciplined manner or well managed!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

cynic posted:

Anything less than an Ivana, people get lazy.

Not gonna lie, I read that name as Ivanova at first...

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
our TPM got stolen by some other, even more incompetent team and it has taken less than two months for our jira backlog to fall into total disarray. My manager with 12 direct reports and an ineffective boss of his own was like "It's fine, I'll just manage jira."

He is not managing it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

code:
git config --global alias.yolo !'git commit -am "DEAL WITH IT" && git push -f origin master'

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 11, 2019

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

A few months ago, we got a new manager here, and this guy is great. I'm wrapping up my first project for him and he's done 3 really good things that no other manager here has:

- Full mockup done in excel to show what he wants
- Responds with pseudocode or other equally descriptive info when I ask
- Never asked for an estimate, just let me do my thing

He's the complete and polar opposite of my manager, I wish I reported directly to this guy

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

A few months ago, we got a new manager here, and this guy is great. I'm wrapping up my first project for him and he's done 3 really good things that no other manager here has:

He's the complete and polar opposite of my manager, I wish I reported directly to this guy

Enjoy him for the month he lasts before it turns out he's got a creepy fetish and gets fired trying to cover someone in pastrami.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Volmarias posted:

Enjoy him for the month he lasts before it turns out he's got a creepy fetish and gets fired trying to cover someone in pastrami.

You mean for making everyone else look bad. Because nobody cares about the pastrami until pastrami guy makes them look bad.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Let me have my moment, drat you :argh:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I'm curious what the mock-up in XL looks like? Of all the UI modeling options, including literally drawing boxes with pen and paper, that seems like the least intuitive.

Edit: not making GBS threads on pastrami man, sounds like an effective communicator

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Nah that manager is probably a totally normal, decent human being. That's why that manager won't last.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

code:
git config --global alias.yolo !'git commit -am "DEAL WITH IT" && git push -f origin master'

protected branch biatch. :smug:

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Xguard86 posted:

I'm curious what the mock-up in XL looks like? Of all the UI modeling options, including literally drawing boxes with pen and paper, that seems like the least intuitive.

Edit: not making GBS threads on pastrami man, sounds like an effective communicator

Well, probably helps that it was a fairly straightforward CRUD app. He had split things into sheets, each sheet either having tables of data or graphs. The tables had enough fidelity in the rows and columns that I was able to work out the database schema. The business logic came mostly from his written descriptions. I basically recreated each spreadsheet in its own tab, with its own business logic.

Using a spreasheet to mockup was fine in this instance, but for other developments, of course you'd need something else. But the point was that he had a fairly complete and detailed idea of what he wanted, which has like... never happened in the nearly 6 years I've been here.

Edit: I remember now... the spreadsheets were at one point actual real things from the retired manager. The new manager came in and was like gently caress this, we need a real app not crappy excel sheets.

My Rhythmic Crotch fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 13, 2019

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Using a spreasheet to mockup was fine in this instance, but for other developments, of course you'd need something else. But the point was that he had a fairly complete and detailed idea of what he wanted, which has like... never happened in the nearly 6 years I've been here.

As a UI designer who has to pry teeth to get any kind of visual representation of what stakeholders expect, Excel is a perfectly fine layout tool if that's what the manager is familiar and comfortable with.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

In contrast, here's how the bad projects go:

[Day 1]
:downs: Hey here's this new project, very low priority, back burner, just something to think about.
:eng101: Okay, great. You didn't give me anything to go on, so I will need to do a lot of legwork before I can start developing, but sure, good project.

[Day 2]
:downs: I need tickets in jira right now. The department boss might ask about this project and I want to be ahead of the curve.
:eng101: Umm, okay so in less than 24 hours, this project is now a big priority? What happened?
:downs: Doesn't matter, make tickets now.
:eng101: Okay well... I can make tickets, but, they'll be bogus. I need time to delve into this in order to know what we're making, ya know?
:downs: That's good, just make the tickets

[Day 3 until completion, repeat as necessary]
:downs: This project is taking too long, I would like to skip beta testing so it'll be done faster
:eng101: Umm, let's not do that.
:downs: I would like to add features but also keep our launch date set in stone
:eng101: ffffuuuuuu *sigh*

Thankfully that only accounts for about 25% of the projects I do, but jesus christ, so annoying

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Does it matter what tool they use as long as they get the point across well enough?

Mockups are just that, mockups. No one gives a gently caress as long as they do their job.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Wibla posted:

Does it matter what tool they use as long as they get the point across well enough?

Mockups are just that, mockups. No one gives a gently caress as long as they do their job.

My point was that it would be really hard to model something complicated in XL, and was curious for the story about that since it was successful.

Makes a ton of sense hearing the details.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I mean, based on the positive description, this seems like the kind of person who's earned the benefit of the doubt. Personality and managerial style beats tool choice any day.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

I just had this manager and they transitioned him away from the front-end team (my team) to the API team.

And now I'm interviewing my eventual new manager. loving hell.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Grump posted:

I just had this manager and they transitioned him away from the front-end team (my team) to the API team.

And now I'm interviewing my eventual new manager. loving hell.

Obviously, ask him for his excel skills.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Hello thread! Lots of fun stuff I missed out on in the last couple dozen pages, but I've arrived at a good time:

he's done 3 really good things that no other manager here has:

Fairly comprehensive documentation, delivery with a plan, delivery to the original plan, even something like prototyping. Too bad that the real reason he won't last long is because he just demonstrated how waterfall works.

And on that note, I can share a waterfall example: I planned to read the entire thread before posting. I did and am now posting. Success. :3:

Buuut don't get too bent out of shape; I'll be joining in lamenting scrumfail, pointless points, inconsistent Fibonacciae, analysis paralysis, refactoring hell, and eternal retrospectives of the unchanging hive mind.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
inconsistent copyrightable variation of Fibonacciae

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I do consulting on machine learning with a focus on NLP. It's bizarre how the role "data scientist" or "ML engineer" has been diluted to mean nothing. I just did a project with an org where my counterpart was nominally an ML engineer but his background was in front end development and his contributions were largely parroting the info I fed him to management.

I enjoy ML work but the industry's become so overhyped, I'm kinda hoping that it implodes.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I got a recruiter email with the subject "Alexa, find me a Jedi Master level software engineer".

I typically just ignore recruiters, but in this case I was almost going to reply and tell them to gently caress off with that cringy bullshit. It turns out, though, that it was from an actual Amazon recruiter looking for people to work on Alexa, so it kind of makes sense. I kind of laughed after I realized that.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
It was a trap, it's well documented that Amazon is a Sith front.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

shrike82 posted:

I do consulting on machine learning with a focus on NLP. It's bizarre how the role "data scientist" or "ML engineer" has been diluted to mean nothing. I just did a project with an org where my counterpart was nominally an ML engineer but his background was in front end development and his contributions were largely parroting the info I fed him to management.

I enjoy ML work but the industry's become so overhyped, I'm kinda hoping that it implodes.

We’re trying to figure out levels for our ML roles and looking at peer companies is a disaster because “ML position” can mean anything from “has an excel formula set that nobody understands” through “used SGD once” to “Jeff Dean blows me every Thursday”.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Protocol7 posted:

I got a recruiter email with the subject "Alexa, find me a Jedi Master level software engineer".
Reply with a lmgtfy link. :laugh:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I've seen pretty sophisticated models in Excel built with GPU-accelerated C DLLs. It's also common to see fancy web front-ends with garbage ML or even worse, Azure/GCP ML API wrappers resold as proprietary ML.

One of the better tells of a legit outfit is their attitude to data - collecting, annotating, engineering etc.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Protocol7 posted:

I typically just ignore recruiters, but in this case I was almost going to reply and tell them to gently caress off with that cringy bullshit. It turns out, though, that it was from an actual Amazon recruiter looking for people to work on Alexa, so it kind of makes sense. I kind of laughed after I realized that.

I categorically refuse to work with people who think that these are cool.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Protocol7 posted:

This sounds about right for Amazon. It feels like they've outsourced their recruiters at this point

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The guy was even tongue in cheek about it too.

quote:

Yes, I am fully aware you receive endless messages from recruiters (especially other Amazonians)
I apologize for just adding to that noise.

You're probably reading a lot of spam from those individuals. And you're probably not enjoying yourself. I'm writing this feeling like one of them, and I'm not enjoying myself, either. So, let me cut to the chase.

“This is trite bullshit and here’s two paragraphs why I’m sorry it’s trite bullshit.” Yeah that’s cutting to the chase alright.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 23, 2019

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Volmarias posted:

This sounds about right for Amazon. It feels like they've outsourced their recruiters at this point

9 out of 10 recruiter emails I get from Amazon are from third parties doing these big hiring events for Amazon in the Dallas area. Much like every recruiting service, the goal is to toss as many bodies at employers as possible and hope enough get hired so you can get that referral money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

We’re trying to figure out levels for our ML roles and looking at peer companies is a disaster because “ML position” can mean anything from “has an excel formula set that nobody understands” through “used SGD once” to “Jeff Dean blows me every Thursday”.

"Doing something with data" or "doing something with ML/AI" is the new "doing something with people".

poemdexter posted:

9 out of 10 recruiter emails I get from Amazon are from third parties doing these big hiring events for Amazon in the Dallas area. Much like every recruiting service, the goal is to toss as many bodies at employers as possible and hope enough get hired so you can get that referral money.

See above. So they just go "Ah, look, somebody who does something with data. That'll fit the bill nicely...".