Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Mickey's getting interesting in the latest shorts.

I thought he always wears the red ones with the big white buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Just re-watched Warrior (2011) with Tom Hardy and Joel Edgerton. One thing I noticed is that every fight they had up until the last one, both of them had blue tape around their gloves. In an MMA fight, the fighters have blue or red tape, and the blue fighter is always considered the underdog or lower ranked fighter.

Neither of them were considered anything other than making-up-the-numbers fighters.

As an addendum, that movie was remade in Russian and Hindi, both in 2015. I guess the story of brothers-turned-MMA-opponents is universal.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Subtle moments in Die Hard 3:

* 911 operator is all wtf at her boss cause police radios whatever who cares, but she says "oh yeah and I'll marry Donald Trump"
* later on, McClane and Zeus get cut off in traffic and they're like "wtf Hillary Clinton" and that's how they solve the riddle of who would be the 43rd president

lmao

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
43rd? So...George Bush?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The answer to Simon’s riddle “What is 21 out of 42?” is Chester A. Arthur, the twenty-first President and name of the school where Zeus’s kids attend and where the decoy bomb is planted. The setup is a woman cutting McClane off in traffic and his yelling “Who do you think you are lady? Hillary Clinton?!” and Zeus replies “The forty-second President!” McClane says “Nah, she’d be the forty-third” and Zeus asks “Yeah, but who is the twenty-first?”

George W. Bush was the 43rd, Barack Obama was the 44th, and Donald Trump is the 45th.

Also, it’s a joke both about the belief in the 90s that Hillary was running things for Bill, and that it was a given she’d be the 43rd President.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Sexual Shiite posted:

I thought he always wears the red ones with the big white buttons.

Phy posted:

The red ones with the little brass buttons?

Take me off ignore you coward

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Phy posted:

Take me off ignore you coward

Don’t sign your posts

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Just started watching IT. In the library scene when Ben starts getting freaked out by the book, the librarian is staring right into the back of his head and smiling

Also Eddie has the exact mannerisms of Ben Shapiro

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Just started watching IT. In the library scene when Ben starts getting freaked out by the book, the librarian is staring right into the back of his head and smiling

Also Eddie has the exact mannerisms of Ben Shapiro

There's a ton of weird subtle poo poo in that movie along with a ton of not so subtle stuff.

Been a while since I've seen IT but, when I did, it was on back to back weeks and on the second watch I noticed a bunch of subtle things.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah, IIRC in a bunch of scenes there are people doing that creepy stare. It crops up a lot.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Was watching Infinity War and realized that Dr Strange gave away the literal ending of the movie when he was talking to Stark and Peter on the ship. Not exactly subtle but damned if I didn't forget about it until a rewatch.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Just rewatched the first Matrix since it just turned 20 and there's a neat detail where Neo goes into the martial arts training program to spar with Morpheus, after the jump program and he is unplugged and bag into the real world, he's super sweaty. Of course he would. "The mind makes it real."

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I watched The Killing of a Sacred Deer and it was p good. During the small conversations at the start of the film Martin mentions it's better to have some good friends not a lot of friends and that he always eats fries last in a meal because they're his favourite. In both cases Steven agrees that he's completely correct. Both of his own children who become sick exhibit the opposite behaviour. Bob says he has lots of friends and they make a big show of Kim putting ketchup on her fries in the end and you can see she has a burger but eats her fries first. I wonder if Anna did anything that's not what Steven and Martin agree is best and if that's why she didn't get sick. She actually mimics some of Martin and his mother's behaviour towards Steven.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I may have posted this one before but I love how in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, I don't think it's ever entirely established if Chief is committed or voluntary. I prefer to think he could have left any time he damned well felt like it and only went "Sink out the window - gently caress YOU ALL" as an homage to McMurphy and to prove a larger point in the film.

That whole loving movie is great and I was surprised to learn recently that Ken Kesey loving hated it, primarily for removing the Chief as the main narrator. That's an odd complaint since in the medium of film, a deaf and dump protagonist basically wouldn't work, voice over narration would suck and, if you want, you can still choose to view the film as mostly being through the Chief's eyes.

Authors aren't always the best arbiters of novel to film translation for some reason.

Like, King hates the Shining and I know there's a lot of other writers who really seem to hate good adaptations of their work. And vice versa for that matter. A lot of times, the authors love terrible films and also, when given too much creative oversight can really gently caress poo poo up.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

BiggerBoat posted:

Like, King hates the Shining and I know there's a lot of other writers who really seem to hate good adaptations of their work. And vice versa for that matter. A lot of times, the authors love terrible films and also, when given too much creative oversight can really gently caress poo poo up.

King made Maximum Overdrive himself.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

King made Maximum Overdrive himself.

Case in point.

I guess I understand it. Watching someone else translate your writing and, probably more importantly, the visual images you had in your head when you wrote it must be jarring when it inevitably doesn't match up. No one can see inside your head. And, to be fair, a lot of directors and studios completely butcher the source material and make total poo poo films out of really great books as well, which has to loving suck for the author.

But they're two different mediums and require different approaches.

I read Cuckoo's Nest and saw the film and loved them both. Same with Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Jaws, Jurassic Park, The Body, The Firm, Blade Runner, Shawshank Redemption and the Shining. If I remember right, Peter Benchley had a few issues with how Jaws came out but I don't recall what they were. I know he hated how his book led to a lot of shark hunting and later came out against the practice but I'm pretty sure he disliked a lot of what Speilberg did too.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Shawshank is a beautiful movie and a mediocre short story. I remember being so disappointed reading it.

The Body was alright, but it made a much better movie.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
It's a very rare case that an author will fully agree with an adaptation of their book, because by nature they're going to make different choices, and faithfulness to the original source material is often just going to make things harder on the filmmakers. Of the three examples I can think of that were actually liked by the original author, two of them--the Twilight and Harry Potter films--had the authors directly involved in the filmmaking process. The other was A Clockwork Orange, and the author of that only agreed years later that the movie had a better ending.

Something on this track that I find interesting about the movie Annihilation is that they made the specific choice to not re-read the book before adapting the film, just to ensure they weren't slave to adapting things that wouldn't work, and making sure that their movie was its own thing entirely (which is the right call, those books would be unfilmable). Annihilation's author hated it, naturally, but there's a couple of hints that show they did actually read the whole trilogy at one point; specifically there's a character motivation they include that doesn't come up until near the end of the third book.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Dean koontz sued and gave back his author advance/royalty payment to have his name removed from Hideaway.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The Shining particularly sticks in King's craw because Kubrick was a big annoying weirdo to him during the production, and probably because Kubrick understood that Jack was King, even if King himself didn't realize it at the time.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Baron von Eevl posted:

Kubrick understood that Jack was King

He must suck at poker

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Cleretic posted:

It's a very rare case that an author will fully agree with an adaptation of their book, because by nature they're going to make different choices, and faithfulness to the original source material is often just going to make things harder on the filmmakers. Of the three examples I can think of that were actually liked by the original author, two of them--the Twilight and Harry Potter films--had the authors directly involved in the filmmaking process. The other was A Clockwork Orange, and the author of that only agreed years later that the movie had a better ending.

Something on this track that I find interesting about the movie Annihilation is that they made the specific choice to not re-read the book before adapting the film, just to ensure they weren't slave to adapting things that wouldn't work, and making sure that their movie was its own thing entirely (which is the right call, those books would be unfilmable). Annihilation's author hated it, naturally, but there's a couple of hints that show they did actually read the whole trilogy at one point; specifically there's a character motivation they include that doesn't come up until near the end of the third book.

IIRC Alex Garland claimed to only have read the 1st book, which is a convenient alibi in casting Natalie Portman instead of an Asian woman (also for Jennifer Jason Lee's role with a half-Native American) which was revealed in book 3.

As for novels that the author liked the film adaptation, I believe Ted Chiang liked Denis Villeneuve's Arrival.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I remember when Interview with the Vampire came out and Anne Rice nearly poo poo her pants about Tom Cruise being cast as Lestat. She later recanted and said how he was perfect for the role... but not before saying stuff like this.

"I was particularly stunned by the casting of Cruise, who is no more my Vampire Lestat than Edward G. Robinson is Rhett Butler."
- The Los Angeles Times, August 23, 1993

"The Tom Criuse casting is just so bizarre, it's almost impossible to imagine how it's going to work, and it's really almost impossible to imagine how Neil, David and Tom could have come up with it. I have one question: Does Tom Criuse have any idea of what he's getting into? I'm not sure he does. I'm not sure he's read any of the books other than the first one, and his comments on TV that he wanted to do something scary and he loved "creature features" as a kid, well, that didn't make me feel any better. I do think Tom Cruise is a fine actor. [But] you have to know what you can do and what you can't do."
- an interview with Martha Frankel, published in Movieline (Jan/Feb 1994)

She wants Jered Leto for the roll in the reboot, of course.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Android Apocalypse posted:

IIRC Alex Garland claimed to only have read the 1st book, which is a convenient alibi in casting Natalie Portman instead of an Asian woman (also for Jennifer Jason Lee's role with a half-Native American) which was revealed in book 3.

Sadly I think even people who read the whole trilogy could probably be forgiven for not noticing the cast's diversity (in sexual orientations as well as race), because for the most part the books barely touch on it. The biologist's ethnicity in book 2 and the psychologist's in book 3 are both passed by in a single sentence, both of which with a little ambiguity (I actually read the biologist as half-black half-Asian, but I don't remember why). The curveball is that the biologist gives zero shits about any of that, so none of it's mentioned until the second book. The movie does think to bring in the fact that one expedition member is motivated by their cancer, though, which is only from book 3, that's what makes me think that someone there read them all.

It's related to why I think the books as-is would be unfilmable. Those books get away with a lot of ambiguity and understatement in just words, to their great benefit, but a film would have to put their foot down on and be definitive on a lot of that.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
lestat is a great piece of poo poo fuckface character and leto would bring the right amount of pretentious bullshit to the role. louis is a lot harder to cast, hes a sniveling loser so i picture daniel radcliffe or adam driver doing well

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Whoa, whoa, what's with the slam against Daniel Radcliffe?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Didn't Chuck Thingie say the film of Fight Club was better than the book?

As for films better than the original book: Hannibal. The ending to the book was mind-bogglingly stupid, and the film fixed it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

Whoa, whoa, what's with the slam against Daniel Radcliffe?

horns showed me that hes really good at playing stupid righteous loser main characters

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

As for films better than the original book: Hannibal. The ending to the book was mind-bogglingly stupid, and the film fixed it.

Hannibal the movie being better than the book is damning with faint praise. What a stupid book. OK movie, nothing great.

Silence of the Lambs was a good, if pulpy, book and one of the best horror films ever made.
Red Dragon was a good book and a somewhat poor movie. Some day I'll watch Manhunter, which I've heard is the superior adaptation.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Just watch the tv show, it's still silly but at least it's beautiful.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Baron von Eevl posted:

The Shining particularly sticks in King's craw because Kubrick was a big annoying weirdo to him during the production, and probably because Kubrick understood that Jack was King, even if King himself didn't realize it at the time.

Having read the book before the movie, I can see King's point. The wife is a strong, intelligent character turned into the most annoying nothing. Anyone with her as a wife would have gone on a killing spree long before that, and the thought of being trapped over a winter with her as the only adult conversation is the truly terrifying part of the movie.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Screaming it's magic down the phone to Kubrick after being called in the middle of night is p good

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Dean koontz sued and gave back his author advance/royalty payment to have his name removed from Hideaway.

For some reason I have a memory of Dean Koontz having been revealed as a pseudonym for a group of terrible young writers.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Holy poo poo, I actually forgot that existed. That was like one of the first WAV files being passed around on the internet in the mid-90s.
I haven't heard it in 20 years and now that you've reminded me, I can hear it in my head clearly. Thanks, A CRUNK BIRD.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I remember when Interview with the Vampire came out and Anne Rice nearly poo poo her pants about Tom Cruise being cast as Lestat. She later recanted and said how he was perfect for the role... but not before saying stuff like this.

"I was particularly stunned by the casting of Cruise, who is no more my Vampire Lestat than Edward G. Robinson is Rhett Butler."
- The Los Angeles Times, August 23, 1993

"The Tom Criuse casting is just so bizarre, it's almost impossible to imagine how it's going to work, and it's really almost impossible to imagine how Neil, David and Tom could have come up with it. I have one question: Does Tom Criuse have any idea of what he's getting into? I'm not sure he does. I'm not sure he's read any of the books other than the first one, and his comments on TV that he wanted to do something scary and he loved "creature features" as a kid, well, that didn't make me feel any better. I do think Tom Cruise is a fine actor. [But] you have to know what you can do and what you can't do."
- an interview with Martha Frankel, published in Movieline (Jan/Feb 1994)

She wants Jered Leto for the roll in the reboot, of course.

I spent most of the late 80's and early 90's hating Tom Cruise and it was IWTV that first made me realise he's actually a drat good actor.

Ironically, he had the same sort of reaction for Jack Reacher 20 years later right?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Pope Corky the IX posted:

For some reason I have a memory of Dean Koontz having been revealed as a pseudonym for a group of terrible young writers.

I've never heard this. However, I was once totally convinced that Bentley Little was the second pseudonym attempt by Stephen King. I was not correct.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
For a pretty boy, Tom Cruise plays a lot of risky and unflattering roles. He may be weird IRL but it’s tough to fault his work ethic.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

bitterandtwisted posted:

Hannibal the movie being better than the book is damning with faint praise. What a stupid book. OK movie, nothing great.

Silence of the Lambs was a good, if pulpy, book and one of the best horror films ever made.
Red Dragon was a good book and a somewhat poor movie. Some day I'll watch Manhunter, which I've heard is the superior adaptation.

The second half of season 3 of Hannibal is an adaptation of Red Dragon as well. It’s pretty good but that show peaked in S2.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Season three is better imo. Two had a really rough transition between the front half and back half. Though one of the all time great season endings. The red dragon film isn't bad but Edward Norton was surprisingly weak in it and his frosted tips were a shocking decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

bitterandtwisted posted:

Sorry for the aside. I don’t know what pulpy means in regards to literature and I would like to. Most of the google results just use it without a clarifying context