Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Nektu posted:

Thanks for the replies. I'm having a lot of fun just flying around with a hotas setup, and I really, REALLY want to see this game in VR.

Look into something like Trackir. Being able to look around by turning your head is really great.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Look into something like Trackir. Being able to look around by turning your head is really great.

For the cost of TrackIR, you can buy a Windows Mixed Reality VR headset, like the Lenovo Explorer. There are also serviceable cheap/free TIR alternatives.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I cant see a hundred dollar vr headset being anywhere near worth the money

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

HORMELCHILI posted:

I cant see a hundred dollar vr headset being anywhere near worth the money

It is.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Also id much rather wear a hat for a few hours than some retarded thing strapped tight against my eyes

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

HORMELCHILI posted:

Also id much rather wear a hat for a few hours than some retarded thing strapped tight against my eyes

the only restarted thing strapped to my eyes right now is this post

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
If you want to test the waters of VR you can get a cheapola VR-Tek PC VR headset from WalMart for $20.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/VR-Tek-Windows-VR-Glasses-and-Controller-HD-Resolution-1920x1080-Black/56206936

A friend of mine got the $30 model and said it was absolutely worth the money. I tried it out at his house, and it's definitely slightly janky and not as good as an Oculus Rift or whatever, but for the price it is surprisingly decent. Only has 3-degrees-of-motion tracking, though, but no sensors to set up.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!
If you go the TrackIR route get a DelanClip instead. It's better in every way, 1/5 the price, and you won't have to give money to a poo poo anticompetitive company.

I have one for my TrackIR I purchased many years ago and it's way better than the poo poo TrackClip Pro.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Shine posted:

For the cost of TrackIR, you can buy a Windows Mixed Reality VR headset, like the Lenovo Explorer. There are also serviceable cheap/free TIR alternatives.

True, but a computer that can handle VR is much more expensive.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Dareon posted:

Deciat is a hot zone for gankers, because Felicity Farseer is usually the first engineer people unlock, and she has the side benefit of attracting a lot of small, lightly- or unarmed explorer ships that just pop like soap bubbles. Be paranoid about any hollow square behind you. Most likely they're just heading for the same station you are, but if you swing off course and they follow, they want your shiny metal rear end.
The fun part is that this was the very first interdiction that I willingly submitted to because I finally was flying something that at least looked like a combat ship. Take that evil pirate :v:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
If you have a low to mid end computer TrackIR is great and worth it. Will never go back to anything less. Look forward to a good VR setup though, but after I can justify dumping 2 grand into a new computer vs you know, traveling Europe or something.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have a TrackIR but I haven't used it in a while. It's almost essential in combat though, much less so for exploration.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
If your computer can handle a VR headset I honestly don't think there's any reason to get track IR unless you have ipd issues or the text being a little blurry bothers you too much. The fact that you are actually in your ship is such an amazing experience that it doesn't have an equal currently.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I could understand maybe using one of the cheap or free track alternatives, but TrackIR isn't that much cheaper than a full on VR headset.

Under the assumption your computer can handle VR that is.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

wilderthanmild posted:

Yeah, I could understand maybe using one of the cheap or free track alternatives, but TrackIR isn't that much cheaper than a full on VR headset.

Track IR is like $125.

A non crap VR head set is $500.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Can confirm the delanclip rules.

One time I think I had been playing too long and it felt like someone had flicked me in the temple and one of my eyes went out of whack and I had to rest out a headache. I have no idea if that was connected to having one of the leds too close that day.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wilderthanmild posted:

Yeah, mine was bought when modern VR was brand new and TrackIR was much cheaper.

My new computer would be able to handle VR without breaking a sweat, but the issue is more I'm a bit hesitant to try it out because early models of VR tended to make women sick.

No, that's not a hyperbole either. Women and men have two different primary means of depth perception. Men tend to use "motion parallax", women use "shape-from-shading.". Guess what one is easier to implement in a VR setting?

There's a whole article about this. Once you get past the clickbait headline, it's actually very well researched and well laid out.
https://qz.com/192874/is-the-oculus-rift-designed-to-be-sexist/

(Bettridge's Law of Headlines does apply here in my opinion, but it is well done none the less)

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Chubby Henparty posted:

Can confirm the delanclip rules.

One time I think I had been playing too long and it felt like someone had flicked me in the temple and one of my eyes went out of whack and I had to rest out a headache. I have no idea if that was connected to having one of the leds too close that day.

Unrelated, but that kinda sounds like an ocular migraine. I get them frequently if I play games with solid focus for a long time. I'd think it's unrelated.

Edit: unrelated to the tracking headset at least.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 22, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Buy a Rift S from Best Buy/Walmart and return it within the window if it makes you too sick. Also give it a couple hours. My Rift made me nauseous a couple times in the beginning while I acclimated, now I’m good to go for any amount of VR weirdness

Also, there is no cooler thing in Elite than walking around the bridge of your ship in VR

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Buy a Rift S from Best Buy/Walmart and return it within the window if it makes you too sick. Also give it a couple hours. My Rift made me nauseous a couple times in the beginning while I acclimated, now I’m good to go for any amount of VR weirdness

Also, there is no cooler thing in Elite than walking around the bridge of your ship in VR

Oh I know that I'd probably adjust over time, but I don't even use my TrackIR right now so, so my usecase is insanely limited.

As I said, it's not really needed for exploration, and I'm not justifying 400 more dollars on my computer where I already dropped a bunch into it recently.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm pretty sure VR will just never work for me.

I think it's the combination of getting motion sick easily and surgery I had on my eyes that causes bright lights to create halos.

I tried the Samsung Odyssey and even that gave me problems.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Just to say for people wanting to try tracking with a webcam but no other device, facetracknoir occasionally works well. Opentrack is a good program to use with a delanclip, or trying facetracking, or sticking a qr code to your forehead, and I think it covers phone-on-head tracking too.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Xae posted:

Track IR is like $125.

A non crap VR head set is $500.

I've heard decent things about Lenovo's Windows Mixed Reality headset, and it's like under $250. Supposedly the WMR headsets work well enough for Elite Dangerous. I haven't personally tried any, though. And a new Oculus Rift S with motion controllers and everything is only $400, too.

Even the cheapola headset from Wal Mart that's under $50 that I linked earlier is cool, though yeah a little janky.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

I bought a Lenovo explorer for like $100, and it has a higher resolution than the rift. The only downsides:

1. Inside-out tracking means that the hand controllers lose tracking when they're outside your FOV - obviously not a problem for elite

2. No integrated headphones

3. No ipd adjustment if you have a super weird face

4. ???????

If you can trackir for this, you can VR probably.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
for us ps4 plebes, I wanna recommend switching headlook to 6 axis, and setting yaw to rotate. click r3, and you can look all around while still using both sticks to maneuver. it's handy in combat, great for viewing stuff and gives a little bit of that sense of scale

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

SuperiorColliculus posted:

I bought a Lenovo explorer for like $100,

Wow where'd you pick that up? The cheapest I'm seeing are $225+

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Wow where'd you pick that up? The cheapest I'm seeing are $225+

Refurbished black box from eBay, e.g:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m4084.l1313&_nkw=lenovo+explorer

timn
Mar 16, 2010
The value proposition may not work out these days with good cheap WMR headsets, but the EDTracker Pro works out to something like $90 and is/was a great cheap alternative to TrackIR minus the translational movement.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I unlocked my first Elite in trade after ~1000 hours of play. :feelsgood:

After getting the Corvette, I thought I was going to wait a long while before grinding the Imperial ranks to the cutter, but I guess not. :tipshat: to the goon who posted about HIP 8444; it's making the grind pretty quick and the cargo runs are giving me some nice credits too. Hoepfully, I'll be basking in my new cutter before the end of the weekend.

Guess I'll have to do more powerplay to get prismatic shields too.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So I upgraded my system. Not playing in 4k yet, but because Frontier is great and gave us a 4k screenshot button, here:

(click for big)

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Moral_Hazard posted:

I unlocked my first Elite in trade after ~1000 hours of play. :feelsgood:

After getting the Corvette, I thought I was going to wait a long while before grinding the Imperial ranks to the cutter, but I guess not. :tipshat: to the goon who posted about HIP 8444; it's making the grind pretty quick and the cargo runs are giving me some nice credits too. Hoepfully, I'll be basking in my new cutter before the end of the weekend.

Guess I'll have to do more powerplay to get prismatic shields too.

I am chronically poor because I haven't gone on a long surveying expedition in a while, mining feels like work, and shooting things doesn't pay well, so grain of salt or whatever, but beware: prismatic shields for big ships ain't cheap at all. Super good investment because they'll never break on you, but they definitely will set you back a bit.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Speaking of power play, I can't decide if I want to bother maxing out LYR rank or not. Double payout for exploration data sounds amazing, but it would take ~20 round trips delivering a full load of propaganda to reach rank 5 and another 10 every week to maintain it. Also any trip into the black that you would really want double cash for would probably take longer than a week. (You could just decline to turn in your billions of credits worth of data until you grind up rank five again but that sounds risky as gently caress).

On the other hand, you'd probably only need to do that once after a really deep exploration dive and you would never need in game money again.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Void.

Opals.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
With the right show / movie / podcast on Monitor 2, mining is pretty relaxing. I'll probably alternate between Void Opals and Painite mining to rebuild the kitty after getting the cutter.

The advanced docking computer is fine for docking, but undocking, it is hilariously bad. It puts you into a "queue" and pretty much lets every ship exit the station before you go out.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
Probably a question that's been asked a thousand times, but help a dumbass out. Where do I get limpets?

Yes I tried googling it but nothing coming up seems correct. :(

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 24, 2019

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

KickerOfMice posted:

Probably a question that's been asked a thousand times, but help a dumbass out. Where do I get limpets?

Yes I tried googling it but nothing coming up seems correct. :(

They're available under the advanced maintenance menu at dock.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

GHOST_BUTT posted:

They're available under the advanced maintenance menu at dock.

Cool, thank you!

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
A Marina Sirtis COVAS?
https://www.frontierstore.net/game-extras/elite-dangerous-game-extras/cockpit-voice-assistant-carina.html
:homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

SuperiorColliculus posted:

3. No ipd adjustment if you have a super weird face

You can adjust IPD inside the windows settings app. Settings -> Mixed Reality -> Headset Display -> Calibration. Only way I can use mine without massive headaches.