Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Works for MegaTen, works for everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I cast "detect evil" on the cartoon character Dennis the Menace, what does it reveal?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

PinheadSlim posted:

I cast "detect evil" on the cartoon character Dennis the Menace, what does it reveal?

Chaotic Dickish

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I mean, yeah, if you're not willing to take D&D's alignment at face value, it falls apart pretty quickly!

I'm not the biggest fan, but it's always been a simplistic system that relies on DM adjudication and attempts to game around are supposed to be hand-slapped. Whether not that works in practice is very YMMV, of course.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I want ablative morality mechanics

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

whydirt posted:

I want ablative morality mechanics

Vampire: The Requiem?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PinheadSlim posted:

Depends upon which Dennis the Menace you mean!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

This previous series of posts highlights why unless I'm using a variation of Abrahamic cosmology for a setting, I stick to just Order and Chaos for the big cosmic tentpoles, it's a lot less messy

Spikes vs skulls.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Order vs. Chaos is equally ambiguous, the only good alignment system is individualism vs. communitarianism.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
A few D&d settings just do 'alignment based spells instead detect/affect entities that your religion considers evil' and I typically ran with that even in other settings.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

A few D&d settings just do 'alignment based spells instead detect/affect entities that your religion considers evil' and I typically ran with that even in other settings.

That's actually a pretty interesting use but what about alignment spells used by non-divine classes? Maybe make it based on personal ideology/biases/mentality?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Plutonis posted:

That's actually a pretty interesting use but what about alignment spells used by non-divine classes? Maybe make it based on personal ideology/biases/mentality?

It's don't remember if that came up since most classes with alignment effects are religious or pseudo-religious, but I'd probably rule something like that yeah.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

It's don't remember if that came up since most classes with alignment effects are religious or pseudo-religious, but I'd probably rule something like that yeah.

Protection/Magic Circle against X are also on Sorc/Wiz spell lists

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Protection/Magic Circle against X are also on Sorc/Wiz spell lists

Oh I did those specially as 'all outsiders, but nothing native'

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Protection/magic circle against X only works against outsiders and summons anyway.

Oh and undead

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 19, 2019

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

Order vs. Chaos is equally ambiguous, the only good alignment system is individualism vs. communitarianism.

Spikes on skulls vs skulls on spikes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Detect Pro-Skub and Detect Anti-Skub

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Detect Pro-Sub and Detect Pro-Dub

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Detect Pro-Sub and Detect Pro-Domme

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Johnathon Tweet got milkshake ducked and says racism is real science that liberals can't accept. :barf:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Finally. I have long asked for the addition of Calliper and Phrenology based abilities on games.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
d20andme

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Covok posted:

Johnathon Tweet got milkshake ducked and says racism is real science that liberals can't accept. :barf:

Given how much he seems to like Sam Harris, another atheist who thinks the racist "the bell curve" book is real science that liberals can't accept, I guess I should have seen this coming.

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=sam%20harris%20from%3AJonathanMTweet&src=typd

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
https://www.cubicle7games.com/cubicle-7-announces-the-one-ring-second-edition/

Is it bad that I'm gonna buy this even though I have the first (revised) edition and I've never gotten to actually play it?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

inklesspen posted:

https://www.cubicle7games.com/cubicle-7-announces-the-one-ring-second-edition/

Is it bad that I'm gonna buy this even though I have the first (revised) edition and I've never gotten to actually play it?

No, because TOR is one of the best games ever.

I do wonder what they'll change mechanically, though, since there isn't really anything I'd change in the first edition.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Lemon-Lime posted:

I do wonder what they'll change mechanically, though, since there isn't really anything I'd change in the first edition.

I think there are a few rough edges that could be smoothed (Undertakings across the whole game line are kind of a mess), and I'm willing to be as surprised as I was when it first came out and was so good.

A few people on RPGnet are like "Journeys needs to be more like the D&D supplement version" but from what I recall of my brief time skimming the core rules function just the same, and then each region guide has customized Encounters. Which, like, I guess could be okay, but I'm not on fire over the idea.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Lemon-Lime posted:

High praise. What's so good about it?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Just realised I've been reading TOR as HOL for several years

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Splicer posted:

There´s an idea for a subversive game. Create TOR characters, play in HOL.
And the other way around in parallel. Enjoy the madness.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Make everyone play Freebase, the HOL LARP.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Gort posted:

High praise. What's so good about it?

It is the Lord of the Rings / Hobbit roleplaying game, period. It's not a bad D&D skin or anything like that - it is built, 100%, and is fantastic at, running a long-scale low key adventure in Middle Earth with all that signifies. It's basically near perfect at genre emulation.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Seeing more and more previews of The Forest Hymn & Picnic, and it's definitely going to be something very special once it's finished

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I thought people had been talking about TORG...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
So was I but I also though TORG was HOL

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Splicer posted:

Splicer posted:

I also though TORG was HOL

Right... so...

When people would talk about TOR or TORG, did you think it was you or they that had broken free from reality?

(I confused TOR with Gor for a long, disturbing time)

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 12:30 on May 21, 2019

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Human.
Occupied.
Landfill.

That is what we all mean by HOL, yes?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Right... so...

When people would talk about TOR or TORG, did you think it was you or they that had broken free from reality?

(I confused TOR with Gor for a long, disturbing time)
So at some point I confused TORG with HOL, and I thought when people were talking about TOR they were talking about TORG (HOL)

I had no idea why so many people here were obsessed with a joke RPG from the 90s but I didn't really question it, or why every time someone brought it up people would immediately start seemingly unrelated derails about some decent sounding Lord of the Rings RPG I'd never played.

In many ways I am not a smart man.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

FMguru posted:

The head of marketing for Chaosium said that the Japanese version of CoC outsells the English-language version.
Yeah, AIUI it was pretty much the life support system keeping Chaosium alive until Charlie Krank left and Greg Stafford put Moon Design in charge (like Merlin putting Arthur on the throne, if Uther had been replaced by a really ineffectual manager).

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Re: The One Ring 2nd Edition - I note that they've shifted the timeline a bit from "5 years after the end of The Hobbit" to "25 years after", which I guess means we'll see less rehashes of 1st edition adventures and more stuff exploring things closer to the kickoff of the War of the Ring.

Between that and the very long (in terms of IC time) campaigns like The Darkening of Mirkwood I can see potential for playing a TOR campaign where you flat-out Great Pendragon Campaign it, playing all the way from the start of the 1st edition timeline to the War of the Ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Warthur posted:

Re: The One Ring 2nd Edition - I note that they've shifted the timeline a bit from "5 years after the end of The Hobbit" to "25 years after", which I guess means we'll see less rehashes of 1st edition adventures and more stuff exploring things closer to the kickoff of the War of the Ring.

Between that and the very long (in terms of IC time) campaigns like The Darkening of Mirkwood I can see potential for playing a TOR campaign where you flat-out Great Pendragon Campaign it, playing all the way from the start of the 1st edition timeline to the War of the Ring.

That would be awesome. I’m also really curious to see what they do with Moria. I played the heck out of Lord of the Rings Online during their Moria expansion and there are a lot of neat areas to delve into.