Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FightingMongoose
Oct 19, 2006
I've not seen Kingdom of Heaven, what do they say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

FightingMongoose posted:

I've not seen Kingdom of Heaven, what do they say?

They have a sparring session where they talk about the italian "poste de falcone" or something (guard of the hawk) where you basically always use a high guard.

They still whack their swords against each other a lot but to someone who doesn't know what real sword fighting looked like it looked a bit more genuine/less flashy than usual movies.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The idea that you wouldn't hit swords against each other is also just wrong, so don't worry about it. All the fencing manuals from the time talk about making attacks into opposition and parries. There are chapters on what to do, and how to start, situations where blades bind against each other. You generally don't, like, swing at the other person's sword like you're trying to bat it from the sky, but you're going to hit your opponent's blade if you're fighting with swords.

E: iirc the high guard in kingdom of heaven was actually from/called that several hundred years later but it's a thing.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Ravenfood posted:

The idea that you wouldn't hit swords against each other is also just wrong, so don't worry about it. All the fencing manuals from the time talk about making attacks into opposition and parries. There are chapters on what to do, and how to start, situations where blades bind against each other. You generally don't, like, swing at the other person's sword like you're trying to bat it from the sky, but you're going to hit your opponent's blade if you're fighting with swords.

E: iirc the high guard in kingdom of heaven was actually from/called that several hundred years later but it's a thing.

I agree, but there's a balance you can aim for, somewhere between this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qasn3QtM89g&t=173s and the style in Troy where there is no contact between swords, he just has to magically jump to your side and stab you in the neck.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

jojoinnit posted:

100% this. I read the first two Jack Reacher books for the first time a few weeks ago and the character in the books is just a massive Mary Sue.

Which is the joke behind the books.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Yeah, jack reacher is totally Mary Sue-like on purpose, and the author is writing him like that because it’s more entertaining.

In my opinion, they need to gently caress off with the movie poo poo and do it 45 min -1hr long 6 episode seasons, starting with the first book chronologically and go from there. Do it as a period piece and have the wtc appear in the right part.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Saying your blades shouldn't touch in a swordfight is like saying your hands shouldn't touch in a boxing match. Hitting them is generally not your intent and a lot of movie swordfights are choreographed like the equivalent of two poncy dudes slapping at each other's wrists, but you aren't defending yourself with footwork alone.

My Swords-in-movies peeve is how nonchalantly characters will abuse their weapons. I'm pretty sure I take better care of my kitchen knives than a lot of them do with the equipment that they depend on for their lives and livelihood. If I can manage not to cut all the way through into the cutting board and dull the edge you can probably manage not to hack your family blade against a loving boulder!

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Isn't hitting the other person's sword more of an issue with Japanese weapons? Due to the steel, more likely to chip/damage the blade.

Mind you there is so much shite and misinformation out there about this kinda thing, especially when it comes to Japan (that tends to be more of the "katanas are indestructible" side of things though).

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Roblo posted:

Isn't hitting the other person's sword more of an issue with Japanese weapons? Due to the steel, more likely to chip/damage the blade.

Mind you there is so much shite and misinformation out there about this kinda thing, especially when it comes to Japan (that tends to be more of the "katanas are indestructible" side of things though).

Not sure how it compares, but a kendo match will see tons of deflecting movements where they hit eachothers swords. But thats quite far removed from actual warfare, and I have no idea if hitting the blunt side of a sword would be terrible.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Roblo posted:

Musashi devoted sections of Five Rings to discussing entanglement and controlling the opponent's blade. If he was down for it, it's probably not a bad idea in the context of Japanese sword fighting.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Jedit posted:

Musashi devoted sections of Five Rings to discussing entanglement and controlling the opponent's blade. If he was down for it, it's probably not a bad idea in the context of Japanese sword fighting.

Fair enough. Was just thinking of the YouTube video of someone hitting a European saber with a katana, and the katana disintegrating (excellent nerdrage from weeabos in the comments).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The worst/funniest examples of this can often be found in the background of the battles in Braveheart. The extras are just kind of lightly tapping their swords together like kids do when they're "fighting" with plastic swords. Also the last battle in First Knight when richard gere goes into turbo-tapping swords mode which somehow makes the dude's sword fly straight up into the air?

Background extras in big fight scenes in general are fun for this, see the finale of The Dark Knight Rises.

thespaceinvader posted:

No, they're not connected. Except by Deadpool's fourth wall breaking about Josh Brolin, anyway.

And that's specifically because Deadpool is a weird kind of omniscient. The X-Men movies aren't even in very good continuity with each other, let alone the MCU, what with having different mutually exclusive versions of Quicksilver and all. Though Deadpool plays with this given the finale is set on what looks a lot like a grounded Helicarrier.

Voyager I posted:

Saying your blades shouldn't touch in a swordfight is like saying your hands shouldn't touch in a boxing match. Hitting them is generally not your intent and a lot of movie swordfights are choreographed like the equivalent of two poncy dudes slapping at each other's wrists, but you aren't defending yourself with footwork alone.

My Swords-in-movies peeve is how nonchalantly characters will abuse their weapons. I'm pretty sure I take better care of my kitchen knives than a lot of them do with the equipment that they depend on for their lives and livelihood. If I can manage not to cut all the way through into the cutting board and dull the edge you can probably manage not to hack your family blade against a loving boulder!

I dunno, you seen how soldiers treat their guns? And reminded of an episode of Star Trek DS9 where Worf and Kor nearly come to blows over how to treat an ancient famous sword they've set out to retrieve; Worf sees it as an archaeological treasure while Kor sees it as a legendary weapon and useful tool and cooks his dinner on it, claiming Kahless himself used it to plough his fields.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Roblo posted:

If you were to theoretically swing your sword full force directly against an incoming swing then yes, you might see some chipping, and in the particular case of certain swords (including some Japanese ones that use differential hardening) possibly even some bending. But that's really not a common thing to do. Usually you'd try to hit the other sword laterally to redirect it, or catch it near the guard of your own weapon, instead of meeting force with force.

But even if your sword does sustain some damage, so what? A notch in your blade is still infinitely preferable to a notch in your skull, and in the grand scheme of things even several chips will not suddenly render a sword ineffective. Even if your sword is completely hosed up after a battle (which apparently did happen, though as much from hitting armour and shields as other swords), you'd just have it repaired or replaced. Contrary to popular belief, after the migration period and very early middle ages, swords were usually reasonably affordable for most soldiers.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The IoSM thread has been talking about Batman movies and it irks me that we have a million of them and they're all essentially the same. I want a Batman movie that focuses on a criminal or gang and treats the whole thing like a horror movie with Bats as the monster. Leave the Bruce Wayne stuff at the door. For all the talk of him "striking fear into the hearts of superstitious criminals" we hardly ever see that angle in media at all.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Game of Thrones: Why the gently caress did he tell anyone that he stabbed her. Everything after that was stupid too. No one has ever been West? And you call your king Broken? That's another layer of stupid because can Bran even do anything other than what's going to happen anyway?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Beachcomber posted:

Game of Thrones: Why the gently caress did he tell anyone that he stabbed her. Everything after that was stupid too. No one has ever been West? And you call your king Broken? That's another layer of stupid because can Bran even do anything other than what's going to happen anyway?

didn’t he pass multiple guards on the way up? And what is he gonna say, “Oh hey Dany had a heart attack and then the dragon carried her away. That’s it.”

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Blast Fantasto posted:

didn’t he pass multiple guards on the way up? And what is he gonna say, “Oh hey Dany had a heart attack and then the dragon carried her away. That’s it.”

We had an argument and she got mad and flew away.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

food court bailiff posted:

The IoSM thread has been talking about Batman movies and it irks me that we have a million of them and they're all essentially the same. I want a Batman movie that focuses on a criminal or gang and treats the whole thing like a horror movie with Bats as the monster. Leave the Bruce Wayne stuff at the door. For all the talk of him "striking fear into the hearts of superstitious criminals" we hardly ever see that angle in media at all.

Oh, same here.

Or actual detective stuff. Give me a gothic mystery, please!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Beachcomber posted:

Jon being honest to a fault is like his entire character. That's like the least stupid thing about the last episode.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
GoT finale:

"Let's negotiate the fate of the prisoners."
"Who's going to be the king we negotiate with? Ideas for a new system of government, go!
*two joke suggestions*
May I, one of the prisoners, suggest Bran because he's got the magic brain. Any objections?
Ayes all around.
"Okay, but the North is still independent.
I see no problem. Any objections? No? Alright! Bing bang boom no debate, intrigue, or politicking constitutional convention over!"

Also lol at a sleazy sellsword getting to control both the breadbasket and treasury of the entire continent as a years-long winter starts, all because he threatened a guy in a scene that was sort of played for laughs..

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Blast Fantasto posted:

just tell them she flew for a while? the dragons gone and jons not burned to a crisp so what else could have happened?

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Crimpolioni posted:

just tell them she flew for a while? the dragons gone and jons not burned to a crisp so what else could have happened?

There's a big pool of blood on the floor

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Dr Christmas posted:

GoT finale:

Also lol at a sleazy sellsword getting to control both the breadbasket and treasury of the entire continent as a years-long winter starts, all because he threatened a guy in a scene that was sort of played for laughs..

I think Winter was over. The sun seemed to be shining and everything looked nice and warm however many months later those ending scenes were. In the build up to the big battle, Kings Landing had at least looked chilly. There were allusions in the book and show to whole families freezing to death in the Winter, but those were told by Northerners. We don't know how cold it got further South. While an abnormally long Summer would suggest a brutal Winter, it doesn't have to be that way.

I thought season 9 was alright. Season 8 tried to cram in so many storylines that it was nice to slow down a little and pare back some of the characters. The problem is all the little errors or plot line inconsistencies. It was death by a thousand StarBucks cups and wasn't necessary. It was a sloppy season that took two years to make, which is silly.

My biggest beef is how are there so many Unsullied left? There were only 8k to start with. They've been through multiple battles, including a devastating White Walker onslaught and it still looks like a complete army. Unlike the countless Northmen that Starks muster, you can't make anymore Unsullied unless you also want to be a castrating slaver.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
GoT: what happened to the Dothraki? The Unsullied are off to the beach, which is fair enough, but I don’t think the Dothraki are mentioned after Daenerys’ Triumph of the Will scene.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The Pirate Captain posted:

Fuckin brush some snow onto that and peace the hell out to the North before anyone realizes.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
When movie badasses get wounded and the wound isn't bleeding but they decide to heat up a knife or something and cauterize the wound anyway.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Arrath posted:

Fuckin brush some snow onto that and peace the hell out to the North before anyone realizes.

Ash

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I got the impression it was both ash and snow. Winter finally came to Kings Landing.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

I got the impression it was both ash and snow. Winter finally came to Kings Landing.

Yeah, same.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

The Pirate Captain posted:

Take a dump on it then, jeez

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Crimpolioni posted:

Take a dump on it then, jeez

*Jon Snow shuffles downstairs streaked in blood and poo* You ah, don't want to go in there for a while, trust me.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Rascar Capac posted:

GoT: what happened to the Dothraki? The Unsullied are off to the beach, which is fair enough, but I don’t think the Dothraki are mentioned after Daenerys’ Triumph of the Will scene.

In the end as Jon Snow is walking in the harbor he comes across several Dothraki. I guess the implication is that they are about to sail away to somewhere, like the Unsullied. But it doesn't tell you where.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 10:19 on May 21, 2019

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

jojoinnit posted:

*Jon Snow shuffles downstairs streaked in blood and poo* You ah, don't want to go in there for a while, trust me.

Open scene, Jon Snow in an interrogation room, Unsullied guards on either side of him. Grey Worm enters.

“You’re not telling the whole story. Come on Jon Snow, you know something.”

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jon Sullied

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Krispy Wafer posted:

I think Winter was over. The sun seemed to be shining and everything looked nice and warm however many months later those ending scenes were. In the build up to the big battle, Kings Landing had at least looked chilly. There were allusions in the book and show to whole families freezing to death in the Winter, but those were told by Northerners. We don't know how cold it got further South. While an abnormally long Summer would suggest a brutal Winter, it doesn't have to be that way.

GoT:

I got the impression that it had only been a few months since Dany was killed. However, I think it is possible that the elongated winters of Westeros were a symptom of the White Walkers existing in the same way that magic only really started working when the dragons returned - Ice and Fire. With the Night King destroyed, the seasonal cycle returned to normal and so three months later it's spring again.

Of course, that's mainly speculation because the writers didn't leave themselves enough time to explain it.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

And then they land on a giant inflatable crash pad directly underneath where the guy was going to jump.
My IIMM about this scene is that Riggs handcuffs himself to the suicidal guy, but when they jump off magically they're no longer handcuffed together.

I mean, I get why from a stunt health and safety point of view, but it *really* annoys me that they did it.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Jedit posted:

GoT:

I got the impression that it had only been a few months since Dany was killed. However, I think it is possible that the elongated winters of Westeros were a symptom of the White Walkers existing in the same way that magic only really started working when the dragons returned - Ice and Fire. With the Night King destroyed, the seasonal cycle returned to normal and so three months later it's spring again.

Of course, that's mainly speculation because the writers didn't leave themselves enough time to explain it.

I’m okay with winter ending much, much earlier than predicted due to the magic and symbolism the world runs on, but someone should have announced it IMO. When winter came, didn’t the maesters of the Citadel send out special ravens to everywhere to announce it?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Coco:

If Miguel's family, going all the way back to Imelda, carry such a grudge against Hector, why keep the name Rivera? For trying so hard to erase who he was, they sure let that one slip.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

When movie badasses get wounded and the wound isn't bleeding but they decide to heat up a knife or something and cauterize the wound anyway.

I watched something recently where someone got shot and the bullet when through, so the guys partner took gunpowder from a shotgun shell, poured it in the hole and then lit it by using exposed electrical wires to cauterize the wound.

It was awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Joey Freshwater posted:

I watched something recently where someone got shot and the bullet when through, so the guys partner took gunpowder from a shotgun shell, poured it in the hole and then lit it by using exposed electrical wires to cauterize the wound.

It was awesome

They did that to a head wound in an episode of Lost