Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Black88GTA posted:

Thanks guys, after looking around a bit online it seems it's most likely a late 70s / early 80s model. I was partly right I guess. That one definitely looked like the more salvageable of the two, although I know nothing about the condition beyond what's in the pic. I'm curious about the hot rod project looking thing (although idk what they were thinking covering up the entire grille area) :wtc:

The other thing, whatever it is (Willys, maybe?) was most likely being built as a drag car. That's a one-piece fiberglass front end. Drag cars don't run long at a time, so no need for much cooling, if any.
edit: not a Willys - they don't have rear quarter windows on the coupe.
edit 2: and now that I look at it again, that looks like a steel hood and fenders, but the grille is filled and the fenders molded in, as are the rear fenders.

STR posted:

Texas. Every white pizza I've seen here is generally some variation of alfredo sauce on a pizza with chicken and/or spinach. When I worked at Papa John's, they had an alfredo pizza briefly, but turned it into spinach alfredo (tiny pieces of chopped up spinach already in the sauce) pretty quickly, and still sell that garbage.

Can confirm Alfredo "white" pizza. I honestly didn't know there was any other kind until now.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Hell yeah

I got a new job that doesn’t have free soda and accidentally lost 30lbs lol

That happened to me when I stopped delivering for Pizza Hut.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If you can gently peel the tape off, WD40 might soften the adhesive without hurting the vinyl too much?

I think you should work on the principle they'll need replacing though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Black88GTA posted:

So, without further ado, anyone know what these are? Sorry for lovely pics, they were behind a fence / gate that we didn't have a key to and I wasn't about to climb over it.

This one has obviously had some kind of customization done to it (probably in the '80s, I'm guessing?) or maybe is just an unfinished project. My first thought was that it was on fire at one point, but on closer inspection the front seats are intact so I don't think that's the case. It does seem to be sitting high in the front, so whatever engine it had in it is probably gone I bet it had chronic overheating problems :v:. No clue on the rest of the drivetrain.

Found it.
'40 Chevy Coupe

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Will definitely try WD40. Taking the kids to the beach Wednesday for a week, tucked the new vans safely away until I return.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

STR posted:

Why does Austin love their food trucks? I have no idea. I'm guessing the startup cost is lower? There's plenty of B&M restaurants that started as trucks here, and also plenty of food truck empires (multiple trucks in multiple places all over town). There's one that actually got the state to issue a custom license plate.

Vastly lower. The reno for a new setup starts in the six figures, and god forbid you have to put in a new grease interceptor.

It's why you don't see any new restaurant locations open up here that aren't a chain, because the city put in a requirement that any new restaurant location, and any that has been empty for more than 12 months or had plumbing work done, put in a below-grade minimum 1000gal grease trap in the parking lot. Looks like Austin's is even worse, they prohibit garbage disposals.

So that's about $30k and up, up, up just on the trap before you talk parking lot remediation and plumbing.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

:rip: Niki Lauda

https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/niki-lauda-passes-away-aged-70/4392732/

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Darchangel posted:

The other thing, whatever it is (Willys, maybe?) was most likely being built as a drag car. That's a one-piece fiberglass front end. Drag cars don't run long at a time, so no need for much cooling, if any.
edit: not a Willys - they don't have rear quarter windows on the coupe.
edit 2: and now that I look at it again, that looks like a steel hood and fenders, but the grille is filled and the fenders molded in, as are the rear fenders.

:hmmyes: Yeah, that makes sense, thanks. Looking at the higher res version of the pic, it looks like a narrowed rear axle has been installed to accommodate drag slicks as the mounted rear wheels (standard steelies?) look to be way inboard of the fenders. I think it is in fact the stock steel hood / fenders with fiberglass applied over the front, as in the high res version of the photo you can see glass fibers in that unfinished portion at the front of the hood. There is a racetrack ~25 miles or so away from this house, so it all lines up.

Darchangel posted:

Found it.
'40 Chevy Coupe

Thanks for the ID, it was bugging me a bit. I'll get more pics if I get the opportunity. I'm going back tomorrow.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Finally saw Endgame. Loved it.

Lol at fat Lebowski Thor and new Hulk

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Finally saw Endgame. Loved it.

Lol at fat Lebowski Thor and new Hulk

Lebowski Thor owned in a few different ways for a few different reasons. But was also p.funny.
Hawkeye, however, shoulda jumped for that fuckin haircut alone

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Damnit weather, outta my way. Started the day dropping my wife off at LAX so she could rescue our friends watching our kids for the weekend - and then I drove.

Welp. Went south to avoid the storms that were definitely going to hit Colorado’s Rockies, but the storm itself is currently dumping snow in Denver and north of Albuquerque right now, so I’m calling it for the night. AWD yes, but on 305/25/20 summer tires is asking for a bad time once the temps continue to fall.

Plus I’m fried. Finding a hotel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dude.

That fuckin car.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

Dude.

That fuckin car.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
20.6 mpg and what, 700-800hp? Jesus Christ, that’s a fine automobile!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Liquid Communism posted:

Looks like Austin's is even worse, they prohibit garbage disposals.

Honestly, I've only worked in one place that did have a garbage disposal.... and it was draining into an inaccessable floor drain (under a dishwasher), so we couldn't use it anyway. The sink would drain fine until someone dumped food in it.. then you'd have to blip the disposal for a split second at a time. Otherwise the sink would then drain too fast for the clogged to poo poo floor drain to handle, and you'd wind up flooding the dishpit and office.

Disposals are nice at home, but only because I don't take my trash out every day - restaurants take theirs out multiple times a day. When I lived in places where I didn't have one, I took the trash out a lot sooner.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Modus Man posted:

20.6 mpg and what, 700-800hp? Jesus Christ, that’s a fine automobile!

I think the reality is closer to 19mpg but still, considering I was doing extra-legal speeds whenever it was safe to do so, I’m frankly astounded. My CTS-V couldn’t make 15mpg on a good day at highway speeds after pulley and tune and injectors. Granted the tune may not have been terrific, but yeah.

Also I may say this a lot for a long time, but holy poo poo this car is great. That Hellcat followed me for 2 hours, and while I think he was trying to use me as a cop-canary as his bright red Hellcat didn’t have plates on it, at one point he gunned it and I punched it too and the gap the wagon put on it was real and significant in very short order. Will try and get to a test and tune soon so I can have an actual performance benchmark to work against.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

There's a rather foul smell coming from my kitchen, and has been for about 2 weeks. The best way I can describe it is "unrefrigerated kimchi". It seemed like it was coming from the pantry. I've been telling GF about it for the past 2 weeks, she swears she's the one that can smell anything and that it's probably my imagination. She finally walked into the kitchen today and ran out gagging. "Is THAT what you were talking about?".

Emptied the pantry. Nothing bad in there. Plenty of out of date dry stuff, but nothing that stinks. Pulled the stove out, since it's across from the pantry. Some crumbs under there, but nothing much (and there shouldn't be, since I pulled it out a few weeks ago to clean behind it). Finally shined a light under the dishwasher.

There's a pack of leaking AAA batteries, what looks like a Mickey's widemouth bottle cap, and.... something rotting. Along with a fuckton of soy sauce packets, dirt, various debris, etc. Lead maintenance tech told me before that the previous tenants were leaning toward the hoarder end of the spectrum, and that the place was "loving disgusting" when they moved out. I think I found a long-lost gift that's finally starting to make itself known. :barf: It kind of looks like it might have been a fried pork dumpling at one time.

I'm gonna go talk to the office to see if we can get maintenance to deal with that. If the dishwasher supply line had a modern 1/4 turn valve on it, I'd deal with it myself, but it has the old style valve with a packing nut. I don't want to risk dealing with the valve leaking. I'm not a clean freak by any means, but I try to keep the kitchen clean (and sure as gently caress don't sweep anything under the dishwasher).

Side note about the previous tenants: I keep seeing certified letters from the IRS addressed to them in my USPS informed delivery emails (our letter carrier knows they're long gone and didn't leave a forwarding address; she returns almost everything sent to them without us intervening). A "tax lien relief doctor" type thing showed up on today's digest, so I typed their names into the county records website. IRS levy for over $13k. :stare: I've been on the IRS's bad side for unpaid taxes before, but they're shockingly decent to deal with if you put the effort into contacting them and working the red tape. If you let it get to where the IRS has filed a lien against you, you're hosed.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 21, 2019

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Fried pork dumpling sounds like a rotting mouse corpse. They stink.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It might very well be that, but we're on the second floor and have two loving insanely hyper cats. Not sure how a mouse would survive more than 5 seconds.

Guess we'll see tomorrow. I was going with that description on how it looked, but if all the hair fell off..... yeah, might be that. Ugh.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Tremek posted:

Damnit weather, outta my way. Started the day dropping my wife off at LAX so she could rescue our friends watching our kids for the weekend - and then I drove.

Welp. Went south to avoid the storms that were definitely going to hit Colorado’s Rockies, but the storm itself is currently dumping snow in Denver and north of Albuquerque right now, so I’m calling it for the night. AWD yes, but on 305/25/20 summer tires is asking for a bad time once the temps continue to fall.

Plus I’m fried. Finding a hotel.

i never thought i would want anything to do with mercedes until this post

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Modus Man posted:

That reminds me, just 3 more weeks of paying for preschool and daycare, then my youngest will be starting kindergarten in the fall. I’m so excited to take all this money I’m going to be saving and... putting it towards college savings :cry:

A lot of people don’t understand that while our houses are cheap compared to other parts of the country, our salaries are also smaller (and our car insurance is ludicrous!) It’s all relative. There’s a bunch of new subdivisions going up in South Lyon and other areas near A2 and the starting prices are “low $400’s”. I don’t know anyone that can afford that around here other thank DINK’s.

:v::hf::v:

Yeah, low 400's (even 300's, lol) ain't happening for us and we both make decent money (for the area I guess). Kids are a financial drain.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

friend, within greater Boston, which includes many of the surburbs that are loving far as hell from everything, the median single family home price is $600,000. and houses are loving big out here compared to eastern mass.

it's all relative

Yes, it's no surprise more people want to live in not Michigan and housing prices are higher there in those cities. That's kind of my point though, why the gently caress is it as expensive to live/afford a house as it is in Michigan? Who wants to live here and is driving everything up? I don't see how every other person seemingly can afford these silly McMansions when we're doing decent but in no way can do that. Maybe everybody else is drowning in debt.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 10:00 on May 21, 2019

doogle
May 24, 2003

STR posted:

Speaking of cholesterol... there's a burrito truck I go to occasionally.

I don't know how I didn't notice this before, but they have a San Diego burrito. Carne asada, french fries (!), guacamole, sour cream (ehhh.. had them leave that off), cheese, and pico. It was amazing, but I should probably warn the wastewater treatment plant before I sit on the toilet tonight. :v:

Oddly enough, in San Diego that was called a California burrito.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Well, the headline is awful, and I can't condone theft, but someone is driving around in my dream car.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-16/german-police-hunt-car-thief-who-took-off-withn-ferrari-288-gto/11117822

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Suburban Dad posted:

...everybody else is drowning in debt.

You've found your answer.
:v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Suburban Dad posted:

I don't see how every other person seemingly can afford these silly McMansions when we're doing decent but in no way can do that. Maybe everybody else is drowning in debt.

Beverly Cleavage posted:

You've found your answer.
:v:

Yup. "Afford" is relative. I live in a nice area and have mortgage payoff on the horizon. We're driving 3 slightly better than crappy cars. But the cars are paid off and money is going in good places. Meanwhile, you can look at the county recorder's info and see that many, many people in the area are sitting on 30 year mortgages for 85%+ of the house value, PLUS they have second mortgages. So they are driving nice cars, but only because they are in debt up to their eyeballs.

For me that would be a horrifyingly stressful way to live, since you are absolutely dependent on your job (and in many cases, both people's jobs) just to keep afloat.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

i never thought i would want anything to do with mercedes until this post

Believe me you still don't.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

The voice of experience.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

meatpimp posted:

The voice of experience.

Cough, those who live in VANOS xDrive houses, etc etc.

There are many good Mercedes! This is now my third, they can be very good.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

slothrop posted:

Well, the headline is awful, and I can't condone theft, but someone is driving around in my dream car.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-16/german-police-hunt-car-thief-who-took-off-withn-ferrari-288-gto/11117822

*was!

quote:

by late Tuesday afternoon the Ferrari was located, found hidden in a garage in the town of Grevenbroich, about 25km southwest of Dusseldorf.

It was returned to the owner undamaged.

Fair play though, got to whip the tits off it for a bit and has currently gotten away with it.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

meatpimp posted:

Yup. "Afford" is relative. I live in a nice area and have mortgage payoff on the horizon. We're driving 3 slightly better than crappy cars. But the cars are paid off and money is going in good places. Meanwhile, you can look at the county recorder's info and see that many, many people in the area are sitting on 30 year mortgages for 85%+ of the house value, PLUS they have second mortgages. So they are driving nice cars, but only because they are in debt up to their eyeballs.

For me that would be a horrifyingly stressful way to live, since you are absolutely dependent on your job (and in many cases, both people's jobs) just to keep afloat.

Oh it is. Im 40km out from one of Australias smaller cities (Adelaide), in the cheapest state to live in (South Australia) with a very modest house and i've still got a $350K mortgage (and we had a 100K deposit!!!) thats gonna take 25 more years to pay off. Im on $60K a year, Missus cant get a full time ongoing gig as a teacher, so shes going part time to part time contracts, and things are tough. Especially at end of term when you have NFI if shes gonna have work or not for the rest of the year

Im currently praying I can make it to pay day before I chew a rotor up on the landcruiser because I cant afford to buy pads right at this moment. $60K a year is gently caress all in Australia when everything is SO much more expensive than the US for basic poo poo.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

meatpimp posted:

Yeah, I figure this is the case and in a market with a ton of people willing to go that deep into debt to get these houses, it's just not worth it for us. No way we can be competitive and stay within budget. I'll stick with being lame and living within our means.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

You speak the truth. I've only had 1 amazing Mercedes experience from the late '80s - the early '90s which was a 1984 300SD. Other than that, they've been garbage, especially the one with the biodegradable engine wiring harness, there's a special layer of hell waiting for the engineers and upper management that green-lit that piece of poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

I can't believe how many of our friends are in debt like that. Cars are not worth working 60 hour weeks and living check to check.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Suburban Dad posted:

:v::hf::v:

Yeah, low 400's (even 300's, lol) ain't happening for us and we both make decent money (for the area I guess). Kids are a financial drain.

Yes, it's no surprise more people want to live in not Michigan and housing prices are higher there in those cities. That's kind of my point though, why the gently caress is it as expensive to live/afford a house as it is in Michigan? Who wants to live here and is driving everything up? I don't see how every other person seemingly can afford these silly McMansions when we're doing decent but in no way can do that. Maybe everybody else is drowning in debt.

a shitload of STEMLords have caused RO/Ferndale/South Oakland + dt Detroit to skyrocket + gentrify

then add rurals fleeing the michigan wastelands and bam thats why a 900sqft house in RO is suddenly 100k more than it was last year

Tremek posted:

Cough, those who live in VANOS xDrive houses, etc etc.

There are many good Mercedes! This is now my third, they can be very good.

is yours a 2018 e63 AMG with the alpha tune? I'm looking for a new car soon but i wanna know if I'm going to need to double/triple my savings time :3:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I can't believe how many of our friends are in debt like that. Cars are not worth working 60 hour weeks and living check to check.

But if I can't have nice cars, why am I working? :confused:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

KillHour posted:

because u are being exploited by the bourgeoisie

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

because u are being exploited by the bourgeoisie

Joke's on them; I'm shitposting on SA instead of generating wealth for the ruling class :smug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KillHour posted:

I guess it depends on your definition of nice. Oxbrain used to own like 47 Festivas.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I guess it depends on your definition of nice. Oxbrain used to own like 47 Festivas.

Are you recommending I give myself brain damage?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KillHour posted:

Are you recommending I give myself brain damage?

It's clearly working for most of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Heh. I was bitching a couple of weeks ago about how a manager dropped an un-approved new-hire on me with absolutely zero notice or warning, or following any of our new-hire process.

Corporate just e-mailed us that this person is in-eligible for hire, because she just never took her drug test. Scanned a copy of her signed acknowledgement of being hired prior to completion of the pre-employment process including background and drug screening. It was hard not to add in a "This is why you do the process, gently caress faces."

Edit: Non-homeowner here, but this makes me feel better about old Milwaukee 'burbs (if you even want to call it that). You can easily find plenty of nice, if old and a bit out-dated, ranches with a yards and two-car garages in the 175-230K range. 'Course, we still have plenty of hilariously expensive McMansion neighborhoods, but they're easily avoidable.

T-Square fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 21, 2019