Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Angry Lobster posted:

Godspeed, preorder goons.

I offer myself as tribute :v:

I remember posting around the Rome 2 pre-release, but I don't remember what the attitude towards the game was like before release. I remember some trepidation about some of the army/settlement changes, which was also mixed with excitement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Save an extra 5% on pre-orders from Fanatical using: TWTKGAMESPOT

also works post release until the 27th

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I offer myself as tribute :v:

I remember posting around the Rome 2 pre-release, but I don't remember what the attitude towards the game was like before release. I remember some trepidation about some of the army/settlement changes, which was also mixed with excitement.

a lot of people, myself included, got tricked into preordering the game thanks to some brazilian site having it for 50% cheaper and a bunch of cool trailers. of course, the game being bad still made that money wasted

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Davincie posted:

a lot of people, myself included, got tricked into preordering the game thanks to some brazilian site having it for 50% cheaper and a bunch of cool trailers. of course, the game being bad still made that money wasted

I was one of those people. Haruspicy failed me then. I refuse to believe astrology will fail me this time. This game's star is soaring high into the heavens.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Josef bugman posted:

My brother is getting this for me for my birthday.

We both grew up playing Koei games and Dynasty Warriors 2 is the first game I can remember playing. I didn't even know what a meat bun was when we first got it.

There's nothing really to remark about. I just wanted to write this down because it reminds me of a time when I had fun with games and my family.

The only real difference in our stories is that I started with 4 instead of 2. Also I am preordering the game as having followed the game in twitch for a while it has been great seeing just how much stuff they have improved.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Rome 2 at least spawned an episode of Three Moves Ahead that I’ve listened to dozens of times over the years when I just need something to fall asleep with.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Kanos posted:

Watching a ton of streams/youtube stuff pushed me from the "i dunno about this one maybe Warhammer ruined me on historicals" to "yeah i'm getting it". The campaign map stuff looks actually fun and interesting instead of dumb cruft to sift through, and the battles remind me of Shogun 2 in a huge way - they're definitely less fancy and varied than Warhammer's battles, but they look really solid and punchy for a historical.

+1. I watched a couple youtube let's plays today and pre-ordered on the strength of them. It looks really, really good and fun. Lots of improvements, both on the macro (families, relationships, some diversity in buildings, etc.) to micro (battle maps seem to be more varied, better terrain, siege maps are back, etc.)

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://www.gamereactor.eu/news/765003/Creative+Assembly+lets+dying+fan+try+Three+Kingdoms+early/

A sweet story about CA giving a dying fan early access to the game.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Josef bugman posted:

My brother is getting this for me for my birthday.

We both grew up playing Koei games and Dynasty Warriors 2 is the first game I can remember playing. I didn't even know what a meat bun was when we first got it.

There's nothing really to remark about. I just wanted to write this down because it reminds me of a time when I had fun with games and my family.

Hell yeah

My oldest friend who is still nearby came round to watch the latest GoT but I'm also watching the Three Kingdoms series on YouTube

We used to play dynasty warriors after school and this ep had xiahou dun show up to fight guan yu and XD is his fav character so it was like fate

Pretty sure we started on 2 as well... Dang. Good Times. I'm pretty sure I thought Cao Cao was the good guy which is NOT the case

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Hell yeah

My oldest friend who is still nearby came round to watch the latest GoT but I'm also watching the Three Kingdoms series on YouTube

We used to play dynasty warriors after school and this ep had xiahou dun show up to fight guan yu and XD is his fav character so it was like fate

Pretty sure we started on 2 as well... Dang. Good Times. I'm pretty sure I thought Cao Cao was the good guy which is NOT the case

He only looks so villainous because the author had a grudge against the jin dynasty.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well Cao Cao's methods ultimately worked and united China even if it wasn't quite his clan that did it.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm guessing Sima Yi will be one of those expansion packs.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The later dw games are great because they get more and more revisionist as time goes on until 8 where cao cao is ruthless, but prefers to avoid it when practical and is mostly motivated by bringing peace to land and the shu are bunch of ideological fanatics who keep the war going to sate their own savior complex

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 21, 2019

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Cao Cao is no joke one of my favorite characters in Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Even as a villain, he's so over the top that I can't help but love him. My favorite story about him in Three Kingdoms is (oversimplified) when he's about to literally stab Dong Zhuo in the back with a sword, except that as he draws his sword, the latter sees the motion in the mirror and turns around. And then in one smooth motion l, Cao Cao goes from "about to stab Dong Zhuo in the back" to "presenting Dong Zhuo a present", after which he makes an excuse that he wants to test ride his new horse and gets the gently caress out of dodge before Dong Zhuo can react. The nicest save in Chinese literature, imo.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
That scene was extremely tense in the Chinese TV series, it was great.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

I like him because I used to think his name translated to "smelly" when I was a kid

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Davincie posted:

I got smoked by Rome 2's launch as well.

On the happier side of things, this is actually the extremely nice thing about CA's modern approach of "early release the game to a shitload of youtube/twitch influencers"; there's hundreds to thousands of hours of footage to look at, as well as the opinions of a bunch of normal people actually playing it to go on. It's not really possible to get smoke-and-mirror bamboozled by a busted Total War game at launch anymore because you can literally just see for yourself if the game is broken or not without spending a dime.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yes, preordering is bad but I can't really see word of mouth upon release being radically different from what Youtube and Twitch are already showing us.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Only thing I can think of would be a launch day patch that causes performance issues, but they have extra hands on deck just for that this time around, so...

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I saw some small bugs watching streams but nothing too bad. It will almost definitely need a balance pass or two but the bones of it look good.

Compare to Rome 2, which at release had a bug where your general had no armor or was uniquely vulnerable for some reason, and would literally die to one or two volleys from slingers. They didnt fix it for weeks after release

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
I've preordered almost every CA game over the past 15 years. This one is no different. I remember picking up a demo disk of Medieval I at a local car boot sale when I was 6 and shortly after picked up Rome I and Shogun I. There just aren't many other games like these.

Even though I am expecting the usual day 1 - 60 jank (and yes I do remember the Rome 2 AI and boating issues that arguably still persist to this day) I am quietly optimistic about this. They've had extra time to work out the bugs and kinks and all of the videos I've watched so far look great. As long as I can have some simplistic battles and slowly expand my empire I'll find a way to have fun.

The main problem i see is that there is no real competition for developers like creative assembly or paradox and both have a distinctive style that makes them non-competitive too. Hopefully as time goes on some younger developers will try their hand at this particular genre but some how I don't see that happening any time soon. It's the only thing that will truly motivate both developers to ensure that their games are playable and well supported after release (looking at you throb). Hopefully if the extra time they have spent on this gives them their best press for a game to date CA will reconsider their development plan and ensure that all future releases do the same.

I also booked another week off of work so they better not delay again. :v:

Catsplosion fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 21, 2019

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The zombie romans and the land ships were two of thr most amusing Rome 2 bugs at release.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Looks like release time is 3 am Eastern on thursday.

47 hours to go.. I wanna be sedated (to slightly modify some lyrics)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Catsplosion posted:

The main problem i see is that there is no real competition for developers like creative assembly or paradox and both have a distinctive style that makes them non-competitive too. Hopefully as time goes on some younger developers will try their hand at this particular genre but some how I don't see that happening any time soon. It's the only thing that will truly motivate both developers to ensure that their games are playable and well supported after release (looking at you throb). Hopefully if the extra time they have spent on this gives them their best press for a game to date CA will reconsider their development plan and ensure that all future releases do the same.

I also booked another week off of work so they better not delay again. :v:

I hope that 3K is a hit in China so we start getting Chinese total war clones I can play too or other western devs chasing that market

There's that Tiger Knight which has way better historical models for its units than 3k but isn't quite the same thing and the interface confuses and frightens me

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Don Gato posted:

Cao Cao is no joke one of my favorite characters in Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Even as a villain, he's so over the top that I can't help but love him. My favorite story about him in Three Kingdoms is (oversimplified) when he's about to literally stab Dong Zhuo in the back with a sword, except that as he draws his sword, the latter sees the motion in the mirror and turns around. And then in one smooth motion l, Cao Cao goes from "about to stab Dong Zhuo in the back" to "presenting Dong Zhuo a present", after which he makes an excuse that he wants to test ride his new horse and gets the gently caress out of dodge before Dong Zhuo can react. The nicest save in Chinese literature, imo.

It's a very good scene, but it's not a patch on Liu Bei's reaction to having his son and heir rescued against his orders:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHQPFWWHyMU

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
Got burned on Rome 2 so bad I skipped on Atilla and Throb but this looks so good I preordered. Please be good

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Seeing people all over getting hyped about this is fascinating to me, like people getting excited over DMCV. I told y'all it was cool!!!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I'm just hoping people won't get burnt.
Streamers seem to like it but games seem much better when you get exclusive early access to them for free

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
This game looks revolutionary. Will change the way how we game in Total War forever

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Theres no way Im getting this unless they improved how individual models and units work on the battlefield. Sick of how wooden tw games are at that level.

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 21, 2019

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

I don't think my processor can handle any more indoviduality

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

toasterwarrior posted:

Seeing people all over getting hyped about this is fascinating to me, like people getting excited over DMCV. I told y'all it was cool!!!

Warhammer's enormous success was a pretty foundational change for Total War and people weren't really entirely sure how another historical would play out(ThroB hardly counts and was basically a blip on the radar), so it makes sense that a lot of people who were unsure would be convinced now that we have tons of footage of people playing the game.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I want this game, but my SSD probably can't handle both Warhammer and this one at the same time.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
3K is like 40gig based on the pre-load, how much room do you have on your SSD?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Not sure, but my SSD is old and tiny, because I play in an old gaming laptop.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I got warhammer...and boy you really do need an ssd just to play these games

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Has anyone done a breakdown of the unit roster and tactics yet? I've seen the stuff on how units are recruited but idk what kind of units they have- like S2 having tiers of units with different roles and weapons

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

StashAugustine posted:

Has anyone done a breakdown of the unit roster and tactics yet? I've seen the stuff on how units are recruited but idk what kind of units they have- like S2 having tiers of units with different roles and weapons

What I've gathered from watching videos and reading a bit is that things aren't quite as rigidly delineated as Shogun 2's ashigaru/samurai distinction, and there are a lot more uniques for each faction and so on. Units are kind of divided into 5 elements which have an affinity with a particular general type - Shock cavalry is coded red which matches vanguards, archers are blue which matches strategists, and so on. There are definitely militia-tier units which are somehow distinct (Liu Bei has free upkeep on militia apparently) and more elite types too.

This is very shaky because I haven't actually played it obviously.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
this wait is getting painful. I have to get through some meetings Thursday, but then I can play all day at work Friday and then we have a 3 day weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Scott Forstall posted:

this wait is getting painful. I have to get through some meetings Thursday, but then I can play all day at work Friday and then we have a 3 day weekend.

Hi, Scott. This is your boss. Come see me first thing in the morning. We have a few issues to discuss.