Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You must mean eth0..?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

trilljester posted:

From what I found out, if you don't indent properly, the poo poo doesn't work.

it is yaml, yes. have you not encountered yaml before? it's prety common in modern linux, particularly if you ever touch docker or k8s or ansible or w/e.

if you don't want to use an editor that knows how to indent yaml, you can just write json instead, as all json is valid yaml.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

i'll never forgive docker and k8s for injecting us with more yaml

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Beamed posted:

i'll never forgive docker and k8s for injecting us with more yaml

:yossame:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

yaml is good.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

James Baud posted:

You must mean eth0..?

enp69s420 is better because it's not dependent on the order adapters get detected

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
crazy thought: use RHEL/CentOS.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ratbert90 posted:

use RHEL/CentOS.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Progressive JPEG posted:

as someone who had used awesomewm for a while I'd recommend just going with i3

i work at a company that primarily works in lua and im still surprised when i see people using awesome still

the lead dev is sane and uses i3

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I’m not a fan of netplan, nor am I a fan of yaml, but I suspect that as yaml gets more prevalent, there will be more tools to help validate it more easily and help sysadmins debug it and then I’ll probably like it more

I’d rather that systemd stick to trying to disrupt system startup rather than try to introduce another network configuration mechanism. If it wasn’t tied to systemd then I probably wouldn’t have as much of an issue with it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

iirc systemd-network is a really basic tool for simple containers and you're supposed to use network manager for real network configuration

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

systemd-networkd is perfect for servers and desktops, NetworkManager for laptops

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

trilljester posted:

I sure do love their new way to set static IP addresses in the latest Ubuntu Server. JFC, could they make it anymore obscure and bizarre?

they could make TCP/IP an optional package provided by several independent vendors!

SYS$COMMON:SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM has at least three “uncomment to start TCP/IP at boot” sections in OpenVMS 7.3

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

trilljester posted:

I think the netplan.yaml file that's what most off-putting by it. It used to be:

1. Edit /etc/network/interfaces
2. Save, reboot or restart networking and you're done.

Now it's:

1. Edit the netplan.yaml file or generate one if it wasn't done during install.

2. Make sure the format of every line in this file is perfect or it can't be parsed.

3. Netplan apply and pray it works, or troubleshoot where said formatting was not correct.

I dunno, it'll get easier as I do it more, it just seems more hassle than the previous method.

sounds like this configuration should just be handled by systemd instead

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

florida lan posted:

i work at a company that primarily works in lua

:rip:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

no.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Tankakern posted:

heh, esr didnt quite succeed with his gcc svn to git project

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=GCC-SVN-To-Git-May-2019

esr finally posted a followup https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2019-05/msg01166.html

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

it's ok, can't say I've had issues with it and I've written many yamls

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
the issue I have with netplan is that it's just a wrapper and all it does is generate network-manager style configurations

except it doesn't have all the functionality of network-manager, there's no one-liner to disable it and remove it from the system and there's no guide for installing the latest from source

yaml is fine imo and I've written and read shitloads of it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Must be nice to get given free highend computer poo poo to do nothing with

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

el dorito posted:

I’m not a fan of netplan, nor am I a fan of yaml, but I suspect that as yaml gets more prevalent, there will be more tools to help validate it more easily and help sysadmins debug it and then I’ll probably like it more

I’d rather that systemd stick to trying to disrupt system startup rather than try to introduce another network configuration mechanism. If it wasn’t tied to systemd then I probably wouldn’t have as much of an issue with it.

systemd: a good init system tightly coupled with a bunch of stuff that's bad and nobody wants

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

https://arp242.net/yaml-config.html

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

is esr == radium? seems like it

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Poopernickel posted:

systemd: a good init system tightly coupled with a bunch of stuff that's bad and nobody wants

nah i like the idea of getting rid of all the snowflake bullshit that the distros pile on

as long as its a single way of doing things i dont loving care

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Sapozhnik posted:

be a lot easier if everybody used systemd-networkd tbh but then the usual suspects would fill their diapers again

code:
# /etc/systemd/network/enp2s0.network
[Match]
Name=enp2s0

[Network]
Gateway=192.168.1.1
Address=192.168.1.200/24
Address=192.168.1.201/24
Address=2600:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::100/64
IPv6AcceptRA=yes
oh no how horrible

hm this rules can i use it with centos

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i like the part where they're mad about the type of indentation they used in the example they constructed themselves

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

my stepdads beer posted:

hm this rules can i use it with centos

yes, in 7 only tho I think

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Yet Another Markup Language

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

quote:

especially since 2-space indentation is the norm and tab indentation is forbidden

oh no it uses the correct indentation

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
jfc it’s two thousand nineteen, version 18.04.2 and ububu finally has ‘install openssh server’ in the mother loving installer as an option

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
as far as i remember it was always installed by default in ubu server, i guess now there is an option to omit it

(not inclined to test out old versions in a vm to check this though)

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Lysidas posted:

as far as i remember it was always installed by default in ubu server, i guess now there is an option to omit it

its been too long but i think i recall both ubs and rhel server pingponged between having it/not having it over the years

rhel 7.0 -> 7.5 base installers were a rollercoaster

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
also someone finally inherited your qnap and it thoroughly :psyduck: 'd them

Faith For Two
Aug 27, 2015
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/shipping-a-linux-kernel-with-windows/

Thread title is prophetic because Microsoft is planning to have Linux be an optional feature in Windows.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

graph posted:

also someone finally inherited your qnap and it thoroughly :psyduck: 'd them

yep, that brand was recommended to me by a guy in the genetics department and i would not touch one of those with a ten foot pole ever again

and do you mean the 10-disk one or the 16-disk (afaik)? the 16-disk one was hosed in some difficult-to-diagnose way, it failed to boot from its own software even after an attempted manual firmware update, but it was fine with multiple live linux distros

you also brought back horrible memories of splicing in qnap's lvm customizations into a stock linux kernel, to be able to recover data after the 16-disk nas blew up

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Lysidas posted:

yep, that brand was recommended to me by a guy in the genetics department and i would not touch one of those with a ten foot pole ever again

and do you mean the 10-disk one or the 16-disk (afaik)? the 16-disk one was hosed in some difficult-to-diagnose way, it failed to boot from its own software even after an attempted manual firmware update, but it was fine with multiple live linux distros

the 16er haha

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i have some qnaps at work. avoid at all costs imo, they're terrible.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
synology or gtfo

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
the best way to use a qnap* is to you run it permanently from a flashdrive with nas4free (or whatever that project has been renamed to now), zero the internal flash so the qnap software is completely expunged from the hardware, then format the internal flash fat32 to store nas4free persistrent config

*e.g. if you already own one due to bad decisions in the past

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
this weekend i was going to resize one of the qnaps because i put bigger disks in, so in my dumbass naivety i just clicked "expand array" or whatever in the web gui.

this lead to the qnap saying i get more space, doing something for around 15 minutes, and then the array becoming unmounted. turns out it resized the partition alright, but the new array was 4 blocks smaller than the old one and obviously refused to mount lmao

the only saving grace of that piece of poo poo is that ssh works so i can fix the fuckups it's been doing lately

Lysidas posted:

the best way to use a qnap* is to you run it permanently from a flashdrive with nas4free (or whatever that project has been renamed to now), zero the internal flash so the qnap software is completely expunged from the hardware, then format the internal flash fat32 to store nas4free persistrent config

*e.g. if you already own one due to bad decisions in the past

unironically thanks for this, i'm finally buying new hardware at work and qnaps are gonna be repurposed for slow archive dumps, might as well run something that doesn't randomly explode my raid iguess