Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
As someone who has never heard of them before now, what is the "Chessex reputation" ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Loxbourne posted:

As someone who has never heard of them before now, what is the "Chessex reputation" ?

if I'm not mistaken, the criticism of Chessex is that it's the McDonalds of dice - you get a bunch of dice, and you get it cheap, but the workmanship isn't great if you're familiar with the physics and manufacturing processes of dice

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Loxbourne posted:

Chessex is essentially the default manufacturer of tabletop dice. Zocchi argued that the way they're manufactured (the tumble polish part) introduced bias into each die. In the regular sets they sell this isn't really a thing you actually have to worry about. The Pound-o-dice they sell are the ones rejected for regular sale for one reason or another (more often it's because the colors didn't mix correctly and you get some amazingly ugly/awesome color) that can, maybe, sometimes, have more roll bias than a normal set.

For the purpose of elfgames, unless you're tracking each roll of each die over the lifetime of the die you'll never actually notice a difference, but nerds being nerds it's still a "major deal!!!!" in the same way that the odds of a US quarter coming up heads or tails isn't technically exactly 50/50.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My formative gaming years were the early 80's, and this is lodged in my skull re: Gamescience.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

love me some full page ads in unreadably tiny font

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mors Rattus posted:

The guy has some very serious opinions about dice.

(I switched to Gamescience a few years ago. I love me some sharp-edged dice in retro colors.)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Mors Rattus posted:

Dr Bronner's is better toilet reading.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
If you do get the chance, it's worth going to a Lou Zocchi's stories talk if he does one at a convention, guy has some amusing stories.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I grabbed a bunch of remnant d6's to use tracking +1/+1 counters in my commander deck. Most of them were good, one of them had about 2mm of excess paint covering the entirety of the 1 side. I filed/scraped it off, but I don't trust that die to roll sanely.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Holy crap, I always thought Zocchi's speech was just a comedy sales pitch. I had no idea he based an entire ad campaign on it!

I'll always have a soft spot for Zocchi and Gamescience for producing that wonderful old range of plastic Star Trek ships.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Loxbourne posted:

Holy crap, I always thought Zocchi's speech was just a comedy sales pitch. I had no idea he based an entire ad campaign on it!
Oh no, he's completely serious about all of it. Lou also has very strong opinions about your gaming table's surface.

This ad - or one like it, with a larger version of that picture - was in every issue of Dragon and every distributor catalog back in the early days. If you're a gamer of a certain age, it was impossible to avoid it.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Lou Zocchi is a weird man. Voice for writing, face for radio. Yet he has ridiculous confidence and it works. Theres a video of him on youtube talking about dice and I watched the entire thing, completely compelled to do so. That dude could sell vacuums very successfully in the states.

Edit: https://youtu.be/MRzg_M8pQms

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I heard the Merck plant down the road is shutting down. I wonder if they'd rent me a laminar airflow cleanroom for gaming.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

dwarf74 posted:

The guy has some very serious opinions about dice.

(I switched to Gamescience a few years ago. I love me some sharp-edged dice in retro colors.)

For the benefit of those who haven't listened to him in person, it's worth it.

Here is part 2;. I find the the guy absolutely delightful. I wish I could care about anything as much as this man cares about his dice.

Also someone built an actual dice rolling robot to test dice for randomness. Gamescience did well. Some other probably equally unhinged people actually rolled individual dies 10,000 times each, and the marketing copy isn't that far off.

Does it matter given that I roll my dice maybe five times a week? No. I just think it's cool as hell.

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

8one6 posted:

in the same way that the odds of a US quarter coming up heads or tails isn't technically exactly 50/50.

Turns out you can't bias a coin if you're flipping it correctly (i.e. letting it spin and catching it in the air). Obviously, serious gamers will only play games that use 1d2 dice pools, or that use 1d4 and 1d8 by interpreting sequences of coin flips as binary.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Monokeros deAstris posted:

Turns out you can't bias a coin if you're flipping it correctly (i.e. letting it spin and catching it in the air). Obviously, serious gamers will only play games that use 1d2 dice pools, or that use 1d4 and 1d8 by interpreting sequences of coin flips as binary.

Or ditch dice entirely and just use random number generators.

It's not the same though.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The real secret is that "true" randomness does not actually have all that much value added compared to, like, a bunch of normal dice which may have some bias over the span of their entire lives but which cannot actually be taken advantage of in any practical way.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

The real secret is that "true" randomness does not actually have all that much value added compared to, like, a bunch of normal dice which may have some bias over the span of their entire lives but which cannot actually be taken advantage of in any practical way.

Especially if the same dice are used by everyone at the table, including a GM (if there is one).

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I think it varies; as a GM on a 13th Age game, I want a good single d20 that rolls well and fairly, so I use a Gamescience d20. When I was running Exalted, I just bought out every Chessex white-and-black d10 they had at a convention (literally going out to every booth) because I just needed quantity over quality. I generally use my Gamescience set but when I need a lot of a specific dice (like my Fantasy Craft character that rolled multiple d4s) I fall back on any old dice.

As a GM I'm more likely to take dice quality seriously if I'm only using one or a few dice. Granted, when I ran Exalted I literally printed out rows of d10 results and crossed them off to save my players from waiting on me throwing big pools of dice. When I ran Breakfast Cult I just used a Fate Deck to speed things up while my players used Fate Dice. It's about finding the appropriate tool as much as quality itself.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Lou Zocchi is a weird man. Voice for writing, face for radio. Yet he has ridiculous confidence and it works. Theres a video of him on youtube talking about dice and I watched the entire thing, completely compelled to do so. That dude could sell vacuums very successfully in the states.

Edit: https://youtu.be/MRzg_M8pQms

I love this.

I have zero interest in ensuring Absolute True Randomness for my elfgames but this guy is awesome. I love people that care very deeply about things I don't care about at all, they're great.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

All this talk of Lou Zocchi and no one has mentioned the Zocchihedron?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I love this.

I have zero interest in ensuring Absolute True Randomness for my elfgames but this guy is awesome. I love people that care very deeply about things I don't care about at all, they're great.
There's an online forum out there that is centered around discussions about matresses.

The proprietor has more than 21,000 posts on there.

I will never care about anything in my life as much as that guy cares about matresses, and I am humbled by this knowledge.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Cessna posted:

I own two because I always have to loan out one. Doesn't work on all the Stolze games that are built around two d10 dice tricks but it more than makes up for the ability to count your roll immediately.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Gerund posted:

I own two because I always have to loan out one. Doesn't work on all the Stolze games that are built around two d10 dice tricks but it more than makes up for the ability to count your roll immediately.

Which dice tricks don't work? Adding the digits together works, reversing the digit order works...

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Gerund posted:

I dunno, in my experience most people find it really fiddly to figure out which number is actually on top of the Zocchihedron, plus the drat thing keeps rolling and rolling forever because it's basically a golf ball. I think for most people when you take into account rolling time and figuring time two D10s are a way faster way to do percentiles, especially if you have a "tens" die or a clear "blue is tens, red is units" system or whatever.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cessna posted:

Maybe because it's not *~*truly random*~* enough?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, I'd say stuff like the Zocchi d5 or d24 are a much more interesting designs (and neat numbers to work with) than the golf ball.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

LatwPIAT posted:

Which dice tricks don't work? Adding the digits together works, reversing the digit order works...

Physicality flopping the dice so that the red is on the other side of the blue forever and always is so significantly more satisfying that I exaggerated in saying that the other method of flopping the digits in your head while leaving the golf ball in place doesn't exist, mostly.

Warthur posted:

I dunno, in my experience most people find it really fiddly to figure out which number is actually on top of the Zocchihedron, plus the drat thing keeps rolling and rolling forever because it's basically a golf ball. I think for most people when you take into account rolling time and figuring time two D10s are a way faster way to do percentiles, especially if you have a "tens" die or a clear "blue is tens, red is units" system or whatever.

Perhaps my card-table is smaller, my eyesight better, the frustration of chasing down the second die and adjusting it to be next to the first is enough of a value-add, for me?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
When I was a tiny babby D&D player I bought one of early-90s runs of the Zocchihedron, the red one with the white numerals, after being enthralled by the sight of it under glass at my comic store. D&D parents, if your tiny humans also play RPGs I highly recommend a Zocchi d100 as a novelty gift, because for an eight or nine year old rolling a die that barely fits in your palm is a delight.

Mine eventually broke open along the seam after a too-aggressive roll sent it flying off the table and into a wall. Mom glued it back together, bless her well-intentioned heart, but she misaligned the casing and the inner sphere, and it never rolled properly after that.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, I'd say stuff like the Zocchi d5 or d24 are a much more interesting designs (and neat numbers to work with) than the golf ball.
Yeah the d5, d7, etc. are things that really should not exist or work properly, and yet...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

dwarf74 posted:

I've got a set of them. Shop clerk mocked me for thinking it actually mattered for rolls; I just like the aesthetic. Definitely had to fill in the numbers with a sharpie though, there's no way I'm squinting to see divots in light-blue plastic.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Bruceski posted:

I've got a set of them. Shop clerk mocked me for thinking it actually mattered for rolls; I just like the aesthetic. Definitely had to fill in the numbers with a sharpie though, there's no way I'm squinting to see divots in light-blue plastic.
Yeah, that's part of the oldschool charm. I have blue, yellow, orange, and white ones I use all the time. I also have some of their gems, but I like the opaque ones way better - much easier to read.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

As for bad dice, the first edition of Quantum had some issues with their die manufacturer. Something hadn't been rinsed off so they were all greasy/sticky, and had serious deformation issues. I could put some of the d6es on a face and just watch em rock back and forth, the face was bowed so far outward. I can't recall if I kept them around here somewhere as souvenirs, the company replaced them all and some other missing parts just fine.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah the d5, d7, etc. are things that really should not exist or work properly, and yet...

Yeah, though the d7 was a design by somebody else that he bought the rights to a very long time ago, and the (triangular) d5 is pretty clearly modeled on it.

Apparently when he first released the d7 he would allow people to bet some small amount (like $2 or $5) that they could get certain numbers reliably more often (the face numbers, presumably) and apparently it was easy money for Zocchi.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The d5 is such a simple elegant design, it's amazing it wasn't around earlier. It's just the triangle version of a cylinder stretched such that the probabilities are equal. (Too tall a cylinder, you get too many 1s, 2s, and 3s, too short and you get too many 4s and 5s. By the intermediate value theorem, the fair version exists.)

Warthur
May 2, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, that's part of the oldschool charm. I have blue, yellow, orange, and white ones I use all the time. I also have some of their gems, but I like the opaque ones way better - much easier to read.
That's what I've never got about Zocchi's pitch. You put all that effort into engineering the dice so they're fair, then you leave it to the customer to fill in the numbers. Sharpies are an elegant solution, but back in the day people did it with crayon - and I'd bet the mass of crayon on each side once they were done wasn't evenly distributed.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Catfishenfuego posted:

To be accurate, because this game gets brought up a lot. Zak only co-wrote that and did the lovely, ugly art. It was also co-written by a trans woman, the trans woman in question writes lovely edgelord stuff and is an abuse enabler, but she claims she named the character and didn't know the other trans creator in question.

Zak is still an awful, abusive, probable rapist shithead though.

Who is the co-writer on it? I'm curious if she's tied into the network of shitheads I keep loose tabs on

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Who is the co-writer on it? I'm curious if she's tied into the network of shitheads I keep loose tabs on
Sarah Horrocks, I think.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

PST posted:

Yeah and it was really bad and a classic example of someone using wikipedia and a couple of other sources to write a 'comprehensive' mythological guide to one of the most complex theological belief structures in the world.

Of course, he continues to claim how special he is for doing it and how random chad (37, Minnesota) has hailed it as the greatest work in archeological history, because of course he does.

Due to jumping back in the thread from recent quotes, I ran into this again, and wanted to ask: What was the title of this one? I want to see if it got FATAL & Friends'd.

Because I think Hindu theology and epic literature/religious poetry is really cool, and OSR chuds are really bad, and apparently I like to experience pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Joe Slowboat posted:

Due to jumping back in the thread from recent quotes, I ran into this again, and wanted to ask: What was the title of this one? I want to see if it got FATAL & Friends'd.

Because I think Hindu theology and epic literature/religious poetry is really cool, and OSR chuds are really bad, and apparently I like to experience pain.

Arrows of Indra