Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

eh I mean this whole season was bad so it’s not like the finale came as a shock (though it was pretty ok compared to the rest of the episodes this season)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

McNally posted:

You mean the dagger that's been in his belt since always?

Edit: A cursory Google search suggests he may have only been wearing it this season, but he's been wearing it consistently this season.

Second edit: Nope, found a picture of him wearing it while still in the Night's Watch. So apparently he's always had it.

No poo poo? I appreciate the correction!

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Altered Carbon started off really good but then they made up Takeshi’s sister and made her a perfect ninja waifu and replaced the actually good and interesting villain in the book with her. The whole second half of that season and was full of all sorts of bad choices by the writers and diverged from the books so significantly that I have no idea what they were thinking season 2 would be.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Would loving watch.

Also we need a “you watch the realm, we’ll watch the skies” meme with the dead dragons and dire wolves who didn’t make it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
You watch the realm, you watch the skies, and I'll hold the door

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Internet Wizard posted:

Altered Carbon started off really good but then they made up Takeshi’s sister and made her a perfect ninja waifu and replaced the actually good and interesting villain in the book with her. The whole second half of that season and was full of all sorts of bad choices by the writers and diverged from the books so significantly that I have no idea what they were thinking season 2 would be.

Having not read the books prior to seeing the show, I enjoyed the hell out of it.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
I guess for me other than Dany's death (which I'd heard about before hand) and Drogon thinking the Iron Throne killed his mommy, there wasn't anything really interesting about the show. It hit the beats it needed to, and least made a modicum of effort to explain why Bran should be king.

My biggest disappointment is how the show decided to not handle Dany's decent into darkness. Yes, she has often solved her problems with fire and/or murdering the people she doesn't agree with. However, in a world build on largely on honor and reprisals, her methods of revenge might be seen as harsh, but justifiable. I think I would have been alright with the desecration of King's Landing if she'd had an honest moment of reflect about it. Instead, we got Glorious Fascist Dictator speech.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Jon Snow could have been totally in the clear. All he had to say was, "I dunno, she started ranting about the wheel and kings and thrones, then she jumped on Drogon, melted the throne, and flew off. Yeah, just like Mireen."

What is the lesson supposed to be here? None of the noble houses have been broken up, most of the same power structures from before the war remain in place, but it's OK because they put a computer in charge?

Proud Christian Mom posted:

You watch the realm, you watch the skies, and I'll hold the door

Nice.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Also I find it hilarious that moving to an elective monarchy is presented like it's gonna fix much.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B8Ycfy-Ldc

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Crakkerjakk posted:

Also I find it hilarious that moving to an elective monarchy is presented like it's gonna fix much.

Maybe this group of lords and ladies, survivors of the bloodiest war in a generation, can live peaceably, but their sons and daughters won't remember.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
We all know that the only way to fix a monarchy is with plenty of guillotines.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Dead Reckoning posted:

Maybe this group of lords and ladies, survivors of the bloodiest war in a generation, can live peaceably, but their sons and daughters won't remember.

gotta go fight a war so my lord dad doesn’t think im a total pussy

A Bad Poster posted:

We all know that the only way to fix a monarchy is with plenty of guillotines.

:hellyeah:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Yea game of thrones 2 is gonna be when Bran the Broken dies and everyone just goes to war again.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Dead Reckoning posted:

Sure, and any time succession comes up it'll be a power struggle, not people voting for the wisest among them (even ignoring that that is an inherently political question).

Not to mention that once the north was like "screw it, we out" it would have made a lot more sense for everyone else to be like "yeah, doing our own thing sounds good."

And the north won't stay free for too many generations if there's any resources up there the rest of the kingdoms want, now that they're 1 vs 6.

Whatever. Episode did what it needed to do, tied everything up, fan service ghost patting, etc.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Dead Reckoning posted:

Jon Snow could have been totally in the clear. All he had to say was, "I dunno, she started ranting about the wheel and kings and thrones, then she jumped on Drogon, melted the throne, and flew off. Yeah, just like Mireen."

What is the lesson supposed to be here? None of the noble houses have been broken up, most of the same power structures from before the war remain in place, but it's OK because they put a computer in charge?

Nice.

Almost all of the great houses are completely destroyed now. The Tyrells and Martels were eradicated, the Lannisters are down to Tyrion and Casterly Rock was sacked, the Baratheon are lead by a bastard and had their realms destroyed, the river lands and in the hands of Edmure (lol) and the Vale is ruled by an idiot teen. The Starks are pretty much the only one of the seven main families to improve their position and they lost almost an entire generation of men.

Bran is in a pretty awful position

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Absolutely. I'm sure the next person they pick will also be unable to have kids that they would want to take over after they die. I'm also sure that what remains of the general population of Westeros won't have any problems with the situation they're all left with now: decades of war leaving the countryside and most major cities destroyed, everyone in the North is dead, and now the people who caused all of it just proclaim everything to be fine now, especially with an army of people from halfway around the world running rampant because they don't have any real allegiance to the new crown.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The Starks are also dead, just in one more generation. Bran is the last living male Stark and he can't have children. That also makes Jon the last living Targaryen.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Internet Wizard posted:

Almost all of the great houses are completely destroyed now. The Tyrells and Martels were eradicated, the Lannisters are down to Tyrion and Casterly Rock was sacked, the Baratheon are lead by a bastard and had their realms destroyed, the river lands and in the hands of Edmure (lol) and the Vale is ruled by an idiot teen. The Starks are pretty much the only one of the seven main families to improve their position and they lost almost an entire generation of men.

Engh, the nobles will be fine. They'll intermarry to minor nobility who is less murdered and in a generation they'll have plenty of lordlings to roam around mistreating peasants and loving around with political intrigue.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Vasudus posted:

The Starks are also dead, just in one more generation. Bran is the last living male Stark and he can't have children. That also makes Jon the last living Targaryen.

To be fair, T'North is now an independent kingdom, so I think Sansa can do what she wants

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Uh, didn't the last three-eyed-raven live for a thousand loving years or something?

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Nothing else makes sense. The magic time travel stuff is definitely going to be messed up.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Uh, didn't the last three-eyed-raven live for a thousand loving years or something?

About 180 according to the ASOIF wiki.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Internet Wizard posted:

Isn't Ed supposed to be like a really good guy (for a noble) and pretty big advocate for the commoners? Gonna be funny if they take off in power because a) everyone else is dead and b) the smallfolk are willing to do anything because they like him.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Isn't Ed supposed to be like a really good guy (for a noble) and pretty big advocate for the commoners? Gonna be funny if they take off in power because a) everyone else is dead and b) the smallfolk are willing to do anything because they like him.

Pretty sure Edmure was a bumbling idiot nobody liked.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
didn't he basically spend the last 5 years under house arrest, or did he get out from the Freys after they got Arya'd

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

McNally posted:

Pretty sure Edmure was a bumbling idiot nobody liked.

In the context of throne gaming sure. But if he's the only dude who deliberately doesn't stomp on the peasantry they'll probably support him for no other reason than he's the only game in town.

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

Too fair to worship, too divine to love...

Don't forget the Unnamed Prince of Dorne!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Milo and POTUS posted:

In the context of throne gaming sure. But if he's the only dude who deliberately doesn't stomp on the peasantry they'll probably support him for no other reason than he's the only game in town.

He never had the chance to stomp on the peasantry. He became lord after his father died, made stupid battlefield decisions, then got captured at his wedding and spent a few years in a dungeon. His first decision when he was released was to roll over and surrender Riverrun to the Freys.

I think the peasantry would view him as weak and ineffectual as opposed to "someone who hasn't mistreated us."

Proud Christian Mom posted:

didn't he basically spend the last 5 years under house arrest, or did he get out from the Freys after they got Arya'd

Jaime Lannister let him out so he could surrender Riverrun, not sure what happened to him after that though.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Edmure screwed over the blackfish at the possibility of seeing his wife and kid (the latter whom he’d never met)

That whole siege was dumb. Then Brienne “escapes” quietly in the night out the unguarded moat or whatever the gently caress

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

:drat:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Dany sucks dont @ me

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Which season Dany

I was almost expecting a Khal Drogo feverish vision in a dream or some poo poo in her final throes of death and the sun rising in the west

But let’s be real if he was anywhere near the set it would have been leaked long ago (or anyone that we didn’t see die on screen)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

McNally posted:

I think the peasantry would view him as weak and ineffectual as opposed to "someone who hasn't mistreated us."

The better to not stomp us with, obviously

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Milo and POTUS posted:

The better to not stomp us with, obviously

Weak and ineffectual leads to someone else coming in and taking over, so not really.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Didn’t know this about Naath, where Misandei is from and the unsullied are going

From the books: the people in Naath are pacifists. They are also immune to the flesh eating butterflies that kill any invading people.

Was there any point to the show sending the unsullied off or was that just to show true love~~

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

McNally posted:

Weak and ineffectual leads to someone else coming in and taking over, so not really.

Sometimes sure but not necessarily

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Sometimes sure but not necessarily

Edmure being a goober was exactly why Walder Frey felt comfortable pulling off the Red Wedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017