Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I watched the last episode of GoT.

It was really bad.

Early GoT really good.

It was fine. I dont get why people are so pissed off about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

CyberPingu posted:

Where have you been the last 5 years?

The whole point of the internet is to complain that [insert piece of media] is irredeemable trash and why haven't you started a change.org petition to get the writers fired from every job ever even retroactively and also re-write every scene I didn't like and how could anyone be so stupid?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A show about exploring political and social structures of a specific time and place ends by handwaving literally everything it can and what little characterization remains is sacrificed for its nonsensical status quo ending.

Its the How I Met Your Mother approach to ending your show.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Love to try and get into work early only to discover that my battery is dead :negative: Good thing I parked next to a repair shop last night.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

CyberPingu posted:

Because it didn't match the fanfic people had in their heads

Although it being happy endings all around for the surviving Starks was kind of lame

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Intruder posted:

Because it didn't match the fanfic people had in their heads

Although it being happy endings all around for the surviving Starks was kind of lame

Again, i thought that was fine...

I dont get why people are angry at the show considering that it was Martin's ending anyway that he told the writers.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

John Wick 3 good. It's my favorite of the series.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CyberPingu posted:

I dont get why people are angry at the show considering that it was Martin's ending anyway that he told the writers.

I think a lot of people are unhappy about the journey and think it would have been better with more exposition?

Those people will wait for the books and the joke's on them I guess. I'm not totally happy with things and I'm not as mad as a lot of people are, but at least I've accepted this is what we get.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It's partly that it was rushed, it's partly that certain things make no sense

It makes absolutely no sense the unsullied didn't immediately kill Jon. Drogon destroying the throne was kind of poetic but why did he do it? I get why he did narratively, but why from his perspective? He doesn't know what it is. Does no one care that the Dothraki are just kinda chilling now? Why does Yara get to have a say in what happens after she peaced out on everything and just hid in the iron isles? Did breast milk really turn Robyn Arynn into a hunk? Why did the now super paranoid Dany let Jon just waltz up to her fully armed and kill her?

It would have been funny if Sansa said the north won't kneel and Bran immediately had her arrested for treason

But really, you could arrive at all these plot points in a more satisfying way if it was stretched out more. I had assumed it was a directive that they wrap up the show, but apparently HBO wanted ten seasons and they said no for some reason?

I think the fact that we had to wait two years for the final season also heightened expectations

edit: And Nymeria never came back :(

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Intruder posted:

I think the fact that we had to wait two years for the final season also heightened expectations

One of the post-episode features said that The Long Night took 14 weeks to shoot, and I don't know if that's crazy fast or crazy slow.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The entire ending part is nonsensical because multiple characters ignore their own motivation, in one case explicitly stated motivation, for no reason. It's not even a situation where its in their best interest to play along at the moment, they have literally nothing enticing them to these actions but they do it anyway because the show writers wanted this ending which they didn't really establish why anyone would agree to.

The above said, if the epilogue was everyone just plotting against each other and ignoring what they agreed to as they actually would in real life/all of recorded human history and how their characters were established it'd have been worth it, but nope!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Idle curiosity from someone who watches GoT via screenshots and reaction posts, why is Browne writing during the final episode in her suit of armor? Was that a shot used only for memes or did she really scribble down her portion wearing a few dozen pounds of restrictive plate mail? Seems uncomfortable.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

It would have been awful it had been stretched out for another 4 episodes.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It's kind of sad that Bronn will be dead from the pox within the year

Thaddius the Large posted:

Idle curiosity from someone who watches GoT via screenshots and reaction posts, why is Browne writing during the final episode in her suit of armor? Was that a shot used only for memes or did she really scribble down her portion wearing a few dozen pounds of restrictive plate mail? Seems uncomfortable.

She's a member of the kingsguard, I presume she just did it while on duty

Barudak posted:

The entire ending part is nonsensical because multiple characters ignore their own motivation, in one case explicitly stated motivation, for no reason. It's not even a situation where its in their best interest to play along at the moment, they have literally nothing enticing them to these actions but they do it anyway because the show writers Martin wanted this ending which they didn't really establish why anyone would agree to.

e:

CyberPingu posted:

It would have been awful it had been stretched out for another 4 episodes.

I'm not saying stretch out the same events over extra episodes, actually have poo poo happens that fleshes everything out

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Barudak posted:

The entire ending part is nonsensical because multiple characters ignore their own motivation, in one case explicitly stated motivation, for no reason. It's not even a situation where its in their best interest to play along at the moment, they have literally nothing enticing them to these actions but they do it anyway because the show writers wanted this ending which they didn't really establish why anyone would agree to.

Eh? Martin told the writers how it had to end. So its his ending, not theirs...

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

It made less sense that How did the unsullied know that he killed her since Drogon carried her off

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
It also didn’t help that of the people remaining, only two had the combination of good writing and acting. Bronn and the Uncle. But they both had very little screen time.

I love the actor who plays the Uncle. He was great in The Terror and he was great in Rome. He plays that self entitled idiot so well.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

CyberPingu posted:

It made less sense that How did the unsullied know that he killed her since Drogon carried her off

”if I had killed her wouldn’t the dragon have killed me back right away?”

“That’s true, I guess you didn’t do it”

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

Martin isn't responsible for them cutting the season length and not doing one or more two seasons like HBO initially expected/requested. Even assuming this is the ending Martin provided, I doubt his notes were "don't support anything in the ending with material earlier in this season, make it a near non-sequitor"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

CyberPingu posted:

That made the most sense of all since Jon definitely immediately confessed, he's the one dude who stayed true to his character the entire time even if that meant being honorable to the point of stupidity like Ned was

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Barudak posted:

Martin isn't responsible for them cutting the season length and not doing one or more two seasons like HBO initially expected/requested. Even assuming this is the ending Martin provided, I doubt his notes were "don't support anything in the ending with material earlier in this season, make it a near non-sequitor"

There is no way they could have made another season out of this...it would have been worse than the loving Hobbit movies if they had done that.

The only thing i would say needed probably more thought was the huge time jump between John killing Danny and then the council deciding the new king

Intruder posted:

That made the most sense of all since Jon definitely immediately confessed, he's the one dude who stayed true to his character the entire time even if that meant being honorable to the point of stupidity like Ned was

Ah fair enough, yeah that makes sense.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

CyberPingu posted:

Yeah, you can easily see how it’s GRRMs ending with their very clumsy roadmap how to get there.

They’re completely carried by GRRMs writing. Without it everything is crap so holy poo poo good luck Star was

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Im semi convinced Martin has finished the books and was sitting on them until the series ended so he could see the backlash to certain parts so he could go back and change poo poo

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Intruder posted:

Which begs your original question. On what loving planet does Grey Worm or any other unsullied come in, Jon says, "I killed Dany, then the dragon melted the chair and flew off with her!", and he walks out alive?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Which begs your original question. On what loving planet does Grey Worm or any other unsullied come in, Jon says, "I killed Dany, then the dragon melted the chair and flew off with her!", and he walks out alive?

It makes no sense after the last episode where they just flew off the handle, but in theory the unsullied need orders to do things, they won't act without specific orders. If the person who gave them orders dies then they're just kinda there.

I don't know if that makes any sense, but I'd guess it's the reason if you asked the writers.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Yeah, you can easily see how it’s GRRMs ending with their very clumsy roadmap how to get there.

They’re completely carried by GRRMs writing. Without it everything is crap so holy poo poo good luck Star was

Yeah, I feel like a couple hundred pages of internal monolog would help set up Dany's turn better than the show did

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Intruder posted:

Also, depending on when he was discovered, after drogon screams of bunch and fucks off, there was a giant pile of blood left where she got stabbed so it's not like it would be hard to figure out what happened.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
With all the John Wick 3 hype I talked my wife into watching the first one since she hasn't seen it and she loved it. Plan on watching 2 tonight and go see 3 Wednesday night.

I hadn't watched the first since it came out so I forgot how loving great it is.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Amy Pole Her posted:

They're going to make the R rated star wars no one asked for.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

wandler20 posted:

With all the John Wick 3 hype I talked my wife into watching the first one since she hasn't seen it and she loved it. Plan on watching 2 tonight and go see 3 Wednesday night.

I hadn't watched the first since it came out so I forgot how loving great it is.

i took my then gf to see the 2nd one when it premiered on valentines day. she wasn't in to it at all and just kept saying "i don't get it why is he killing everyone"

some months later she randomly saw the first one, saw the puppy get murdered, texted me and said "I UNDERSTAND NOW"

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

We can finally have a Star Wars villain give backstory while yelling at women in the background to play with her arse

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
John Wick 3 owns and the knife scene owns and my only complaint is that the second act is kind of pointless and could have been cut out to a tight 90 minute run time

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
The only throne I care about is my freaking toilet!!!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Also John wick 3 ending question

so do you think Winston turned villain or is this just like fifth dimensional chess

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I have a job interview tomorrow. I haven't had one in almost 2 years. Hardest part will be ducking out for 3 hours and acting like nothing happened (and changing clothes so I dont appear overdressed).

I have no idea what to prep for. I know I'll go over my interview and look over mock questions, but no idea what else to do!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Instead of "tits & dragons" it will be "tits & Jedi."

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Also John wick 3 ending question

so do you think Winston turned villain or is this just like fifth dimensional chess

I believe fifth dimensional chess. He has been around long enough to know that the only way to properly kill someone is in the head and didn't shoot once there especially as close range as it was. I assume it was done as Winston knows the only true way to win is for John to tear the entire establishment down but will need his help to do it

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

SundayMoney posted:

I believe fifth dimensional chess. He has been around long enough to know that the only way to properly kill someone is in the head and didn't shoot once there especially as close range as it was. I assume it was done as Winston knows the only true way to win is for John to tear the entire establishment down but will need his help to do it

Yeah he also seems to know more than anyone else dont gently caress with John wick

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
It better be fifth dimensional chess because my heart can’t take hating that man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I haven't seen a single Johnathan Wick movie.