Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Agent Of Zion posted:

Offered 3MC billet as a first class on a tender out of Guam. Take it or leave it? Soliciting opinions.

Lemme guess, Frank Cable? Do you like tropical islands and not doing much? Do you have a problem with traffic or Kmart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
If you're running for chief a 3mc job might not be the best thing. Unless....you have every other ticket punched.

Agent Of Zion
Jul 19, 2015

King of Bees posted:

Are you up for chief?

Yeaup. Told I have a good chance of making it this year, but they said that the last couple years too so I'm pretty well convinced that there isn't anyone who knows what the gently caress the mess wants, least of all the mess.

CMD598 posted:

Lemme guess, Frank Cable? Do you like tropical islands and not doing much? Do you have a problem with traffic or Kmart?

Emory actually. I don't have a particular problem with any of it, wife would probably stay stateside to work on her doctorate though.

King of Bees posted:

If you're running for chief a 3mc job might not be the best thing. Unless....you have every other ticket punched.

You're the first person to tell me that, I was sold the other way around so my ears are definitely perked up right now.

Agent Of Zion fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 18, 2019

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
The number one thing to making chief is leading sailors. As in a division or department. As the 3m guy you aren't doing either. Sure it's a huge collateral, but you don't have sailors working under you. Number one bullet and number one thing the board looks for is leading. Take a billet where you can do that if you want to make chief.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

Has anyone else had Sailor 360 forced on their people yet? This is not a very positive time so far

They tried it at my command for a few weeks. Turns out forcing miserable junior sailors to play competitive sports and attend training instead of lunch doesn't end well. Two of three pt sessions fights broke out.

Agent Of Zion
Jul 19, 2015

King of Bees posted:

The number one thing to making chief is leading sailors. As in a division or department. As the 3m guy you aren't doing either. Sure it's a huge collateral, but you don't have sailors working under you. Number one bullet and number one thing the board looks for is leading. Take a billet where you can do that if you want to make chief.

I have never heard 3MC referred to as a collateral...

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Agent Of Zion posted:

Painting and preserving

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 18, 2019

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Virginia Slams posted:

They tried it at my command for a few weeks. Turns out forcing miserable junior sailors to play competitive sports and attend training instead of lunch doesn't end well. Two of three pt sessions fights broke out.

Hearing a bunch of Seabees talk about laying the keel and boat teams and other nautical poo poo makes it extra hilarious and motivational

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Agent Of Zion posted:

Offered 3MC billet as a first class on a tender out of Guam. Take it or leave it? Soliciting opinions.

If you like Guam than its an easy gig. If you hate Guam you'll hate your life.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Agent Of Zion posted:

Oh God why would you do that to yourself. 3M is a loving nightmare, let alone being held accountable for it as a system. YMMV.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Oh God why would you do that to yourself. 3M is a loving nightmare, let alone being held accountable for it as a system. YMMV.

Out of curiosity what is this nightmare thing

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Agent Of Zion posted:

Shoot. You're absolutely right. Too many beers. I meant to convey that working outside of rate is usually a bad plan unless you have done all you can do already. Sorry about that.

Agent Of Zion
Jul 19, 2015

SquirrelyPSU posted:

King of Bees posted:

Shoot. You're absolutely right. Too many beers. I meant to convey that working outside of rate is usually a bad plan unless you have done all you can do already. Sorry about that.

Well I'm an ET, so if you don't go special program atm you get shoved into one of those new death traps LCSs. I happen to be good at the 3M system, so it's the best way for me personally to avoid that shitshow. I've done pretty much all I can do in-rate, or at least there's nothing new in-rate I can do onboard LCS.

Agent Of Zion
Jul 19, 2015

shovelbum posted:

Out of curiosity what is this nightmare thing

It's a mishmash of instructions, personal wishes, nitpicky details, and paperwork clusterfucking ostensibly designed to keep all the equipment in working order. Good idea in theory, but where it becomes a nightmare is where people who have never had an independent thought in their head get involved and use all of that stuff to get people in trouble for things no reasonable person would elevate beyond a conversation.

random fuckhead posted:

Well SN Timmy, says here you signed for a maintenance check to clean all the grime off this piece of machinery two months ago but it's dirty today. Since I personally have no chance of ever sexually satisfying another human being I'm just going to gently caress you by calling it gundecking.

Or my personal... Favorite? I guess, was the ATG inspector who tried to hem one of my guys up for checking out hazmat for some poo poo at 2330, then signed for the maintenance at 0230, and tried to say THAT was gundecking because he didn't have the hazmat checked out on the same day as the pms.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Agent Of Zion posted:

Or my personal... Favorite? I guess, was the ATG inspector who tried to hem one of my guys up for checking out hazmat for some poo poo at 2330, then signed for the maintenance at 0230, and tried to say THAT was gundecking because he didn't have the hazmat checked out on the same day as the pms.

For some reason I’m flashing back to the internal (commercial ship) safety management auditor who dinged us because we were a single hull ship but we hadn’t been filling out UKC declarations as per CFR 33 whatever.

I wanted to hit him in the face with the regulation, because it said “single hull tanker” and we were a motherfucking self-unloading dry bulk carrier.

Eventually it made its way up the chain, along with his recommendation that the deck officers receive more celestial navigation training (On the Great Lakes ffs), and we never saw that auditor again.

God I’m still pissed.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Agent Of Zion posted:

Well I'm an ET, so if you don't go special program atm you get shoved into one of those new death traps LCSs. I happen to be good at the 3M system, so it's the best way for me personally to avoid that shitshow. I've done pretty much all I can do in-rate, or at least there's nothing new in-rate I can do onboard LCS.

Depending on what LCS you go to your be in charge of the combat management system, which is both new and totally not a thing an ET should do.

We dont put Aegis FCs on them though so...

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Is the 3MC billet coded for a Chief or a First? Because if it is an E7 billet the breakout line and bottom line on your next eval writes itself

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

For some reason I’m flashing back to the internal (commercial ship) safety management auditor who dinged us because we were a single hull ship but we hadn’t been filling out UKC declarations as per CFR 33 whatever.

I wanted to hit him in the face with the regulation, because it said “single hull tanker” and we were a motherfucking self-unloading dry bulk carrier.

Eventually it made its way up the chain, along with his recommendation that the deck officers receive more celestial navigation training (On the Great Lakes ffs), and we never saw that auditor again.

God I’m still pissed.

The bigger companies give those guys an app which they must mindlessly follow and insert photos into, now.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
So they're gutting tuition assistance pretty hard. Can only take 120 credit hours your entire career, 12 hours a fiscal year and unwaiverable 2 years in before you can even use it.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I wish they'd just have it be based on for profit schools exploiting the DOD and VA. For every junior enlisted chipping away at an undergrad from UMUC, Penn State global, or any other brick and mortar institute, some junior officer working on their MS in Strategic Leadership from University of Phoenix, Regents, or Liberty.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Nick Soapdish posted:

...some junior officer working on their MS in Strategic Leadership from University of Phoenix, Regents, or Liberty.

Master's Thesis: "All Things Are Possible...With JESUS."

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Virginia Slams posted:

So they're gutting tuition assistance pretty hard. Can only take 120 credit hours your entire career, 12 hours a fiscal year and unwaiverable 2 years in before you can even use it.

Can't find a release atm. When is that effective? Was planning on using mine to do a master's after a quick break from finishing my bachelor's .

TA has ping ponged from loose to tight regs so loving hard the last few years. This and the CTN bonus going to zero make it seem like they don't want anyone in

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

FrozenVent posted:

God I’m still pissed.

Oh, poo poo, what boat were you on?

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013

Laranzu posted:

Can't find a release atm. When is that effective? Was planning on using mine to do a master's after a quick break from finishing my bachelor's .

TA has ping ponged from loose to tight regs so loving hard the last few years. This and the CTN bonus going to zero make it seem like they don't want anyone in

https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2019/NAV19114.txt

Effective 01OCT19.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Burning Beard posted:

Oh, poo poo, what boat were you on?

A red Canadian one.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Turns out I’m an junior enlisted warrior again after discovering my last TAD command submitted literally none of the paperwork for my frocking even though I literally pre made them two copies of everything they needed to submit so even though I’m getting paid as an E4 I’m still not allowed to wear it apparently until I get pinned again.

God forbid anyone in my chain actually do their loving job. I’m actually tempted to put in a SWCC package just for the opportunity that I won’t have as completely incompetent admin and supervisors.

Who am I kidding I’m getting out and going to grad school.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Uh if you are being paid for it, just put it on your uniform without asking
If you're being paid E4 you don't need to be frocked, you're promoted already.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
If your chief tries to give you poo poo show him your LES.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I've heard stories from guys who served in the 70s that their first notification of promotion was their pay going up.

I heard the "I went to finance to tell them there was a mistake only to find out I'd been promoted without anyone saying anything to me" story so many times that I just assumed it was normal.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If you’re paid, you’ve advanced and should wear your rank.

Also, officers get promoted, enlisted people advance. :eng101:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Ah, well good thing I've only got a month left here, someone got pissy at me for wearing it.

Hopefully my next permanent duty station after this TADfest will fix it (lol no).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There’s nothing to be fixed. There’s no frocking that has to happen. You’re a PO3. Wear the rank and show your LES to anyone that bitches.

Frocked? Yes, you should wait. Getting paid? Wear your rank.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

There’s nothing to be fixed. There’s no frocking that has to happen. You’re a PO3. Wear the rank and show your LES to anyone that bitches.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Mr. Nice! posted:

Hell I just go slick sleeves and everyone thinks I'm a reservist and laughs but asks nothing of me.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
My life as the geedunk PO

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The Navy outranks your command. If The Navy has decided your LES then that is what you are and the only way your command can change that is by masting you.

Now the following IG investigation for a CO masting someone for that is how COs get relieved so please feel free to fight that battle as it will be far more fun than whatever your daily work routine is. But it won’t cone to that your command is just dumb and probably needs to get yelled at by some commodore for something anyway.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

King of Bees posted:

Hell I just go slick sleeves and everyone thinks I'm a reservist and laughs but asks nothing of me.

Hey...

drat it

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
No I mean because of.my age....oh.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

King of Bees posted:

My life as the geedunk PO

I was that guy as a first class who gave up my quota, once I got back from my (totally not punishment) immediate tdy to an undermanned squadron after I told everyone I was separating, I was the geedunk PO for the last couple months in the Navy before terminal. I was 110% no fucks mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
GD4LYF