Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GotLag posted:

Like everything else in the military-industrial complex it's just a means of generating kickbacks.

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

here's the CNT FAI's version

lol thats a photoshopped picture of the TIV2, the IMAX tornado chasing vehicle, which is extremely osha tbf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diIT3bxZOys

here are some actual anarchist tanks:

https://twitter.com/AltctuallyD0NG/status/988960154631667713

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 21, 2019

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok but which is more dangerous?

https://twitter.com/FlaRobSal/status/1117940840616345601

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

ekuNNN posted:

lol thats a photoshopped picture of the TIV2, the IMAX tornado chasing vehicle, which is extremely osha tbf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diIT3bxZOys

here are some actual anarchist tanks:

https://twitter.com/AltctuallyD0NG/status/988960154631667713

Rad! Thanks! Always looking for more to add to my libsoc engineering folder :D

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I've always wondered how effective those improvised armored vehicles are. It probably varies a bit by individual builds, but you'd think with how common man portable anti tank weapons are, they'd essentially be useless.

The only video I've see of them actually getting used was a 2015 video of an ISIS mechanized "division" made largely of them. I'm writing from memory, because I can't find the video again, but I think the gist is correct here. In that video they don't appear to be at all effective against the position they assault. The video itself is fascinating and includes the crew panicking and trying to bail out once their vehicle is disabled. At that point you can see the field is filled with other similar vehicles burning, and the crew proceeds to get killed.

It's not really OSHA, but really shows how unsafe the vehicles are, especially with inexperienced crew. The whole thing is a basically a box containing men and a disorganized pile of weapons. At one point one gunner stuns the whole crew by firing an RPG in such a way that the back blast shoots into the compartment.

I'll try again later to find the video.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've always imagined that improvised tanks are more of a civil unrest thing, where riot police aren't exactly carrying anti armour ordinance.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Serephina posted:

where riot police aren't weren't exactly carrying anti armour ordinance.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

wilderthanmild posted:

I've always wondered how effective those improvised armored vehicles are. It probably varies a bit by individual builds, but you'd think with how common man portable anti tank weapons are, they'd essentially be useless.

The only video I've see of them actually getting used was a 2015 video of an ISIS mechanized "division" made largely of them. I'm writing from memory, because I can't find the video again, but I think the gist is correct here. In that video they don't appear to be at all effective against the position they assault. The video itself is fascinating and includes the crew panicking and trying to bail out once their vehicle is disabled. At that point you can see the field is filled with other similar vehicles burning, and the crew proceeds to get killed.

It's not really OSHA, but really shows how unsafe the vehicles are, especially with inexperienced crew. The whole thing is a basically a box containing men and a disorganized pile of weapons. At one point one gunner stuns the whole crew by firing an RPG in such a way that the back blast shoots into the compartment.

I got you, bro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM3ElTvF52I

(I checked: no death or gore shown)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ahh, the infamous Abu Hajaar. That video was passed around a lot as a way of countering the ISIS propaganda showing them as an elite fighting force of fearless warriors. Turns out for the most part they're actually really incompetent and only succeed because they're attacking defenseless civilians or equally incompetent "professional" armies full of laziness and corruption.

They just charge across an open desert in vehicles armored against nothing bigger than machine guns, randomly spraying machine guns and rockets way outside their effective range (and nearly killing each other trying to do so), and just getting picked off by proper anti-vehicle ordnance from nearly beyond visual range.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

wilderthanmild posted:

I think the idea is more to keep small arms fire away while you approach a position. If they're assaulting a heavily fortified position they have artillery and those crazy homemade anti-materiel rifles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eZ4MwgViQI

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

They work great when you're a bunch of goobers with assorted small arms and so are the other guys.

Not so much if anyone who knows what he's doing shows up.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Shut up Meg posted:

I got you, bro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM3ElTvF52I

(I checked: no death or gore shown)

Yep, that's it. Thanks for tracking that down!

I think there is a longer version? Nothing worth seeing that isn't in this one though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

wilderthanmild posted:

I think there is a longer version? Nothing worth seeing that isn't in this one though.

Yeah, the longer version is just that video with more of the same driving around and yelling. That one has all the highlights of how dumb they are.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

these days an anarchist tank is any MRAP we can steal from the PD 👀👀👀

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

wilderthanmild posted:

I went looking for it the other day. I was a bit worried that my search terms would get me on a watchlist, but then I realise that these forums has probably gotten me on lots of them already

chitoryu12 posted:

Ahh, the infamous Abu Hajaar.

I always felt that it was a little unfair to him. Out of the 4 of them, he seemed the most competent.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Kanine posted:

actually i have an extremely osha story from one of those friends who fought for rojava

according to this one guy, it wasnt uncommon for the safety caps to be unscrewed while a person was running with a loaded rpg-7 and when they tripped and the nose hit the pavement and triggered the rocket to go off it was bye bye (the forgotten weapons video on the rpg-7 even mentions this!)

there's a lot of really rad but extremely osha homemade tanks made by basically welding plate steel on to tractors in rojava. it's pretty much an anarchist tradition tho if you look at the spanish civil war and other conflicts

I really want to know if the guys who built these have heard of Bob Semple. Especially the guy that designed the second one.

Still though, proves the old saying that any tank is better than no tank.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shut up Meg posted:

I always felt that it was a little unfair to him. Out of the 4 of them, he seemed the most competent.

He still nearly killed them by putting the very edge of his machine gun barrel on the lip of the armor and forgetting that recoil exists.

There's a different video of I think Burmese guerrillas getting counter-ambushed during an attempted attack on an army outpost from a truck where I'm pretty sure one guy is killed when the exact same thing happens and a bullet ricochets back into the bed.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, the longer version is just that video with more of the same driving around and yelling. That one has all the highlights of how dumb they are.

The extended version shows how quickly their day goes to hell, too.

The whole thing is just bonkers. Daesh rolls right over the Iraqi military in shiny pickups and steals their surplus poo poo, said poo poo gets blown to poo poo by anyone with the means, and then they try to roll out of their war in lovely pickups, getting blown to poo poo. Who came up with this plan, Ricky loving LaFleur the used Toyota salesman?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Fun fact: Armor that's rated to .50 cal or 12.7mm is really thick. A half inch of properly forged alloy steel is barely enough to stop a .50 cal API round at 1km, and to stop it in close, you need an inch worth. Given these vehicles are made with the finest of scrapyard salvage, figure twice that is needed to provide proper protection.

If all you care about is light rifle fire, and occasional potshots with a heavier rifle, those vehicles actually work reasonably well. Against anything with a warhead though? They're basically gigantic coffins waiting to happen.

Is it just me or were like 3 of the four dudes in the truck all named Abu? Or is that something like calling someone 'Comrade' but for ISIS?

I am digging the hilarious little rifle grenades they made, and how poo poo the quality control is that only one of the three even fits in the rifle launcher.

madeintaipei posted:

The whole thing is just bonkers. Daesh rolls right over the Iraqi military in shiny pickups and steals their surplus poo poo, said poo poo gets blown to poo poo by anyone with the means, and then they try to roll out of their war in lovely pickups, getting blown to poo poo. Who came up with this plan, Ricky loving LaFleur the used Toyota salesman?

That entire video is the tactical version of a loving keystone kopps skit. Yes, let's assault a fixed position in the middle of the day, on ground that is so insultingly flat you could play pool on it, with no weapons aside from some RPGs that can actually damage fortifications, in trucks that are generously described as 'armored'. And when your vehicle is damaged, get out of the thing and make sure to present the largest possible area for the one guy in the fort with a scope to hit you, while slowly rolling away from combat. Low crawling? Forbidden. Running like an idiot for the nearest bit of cover? A fatwa upon you. Using smoke genades or obscurants before doing either of those things? Infidel! Using the terrain to approach the fortification from something other than an ideal killing zone? A curse upon your family for 40 generations!

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 21, 2019

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

There's a different video of I think Burmese guerrillas getting counter-ambushed during an attempted attack on an army outpost from a truck where I'm pretty sure one guy is killed when the exact same thing happens and a bullet ricochets back into the bed.

If that's the video I'm thinking of, I'm not sure it would have made much a difference. Is it the video where the pull up in a truck, with maybe 10-20 armed gunmen, and then it turns out the target was ready and just dusts the truck end to end with multiple machine guns?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Fun fact: Armor that's rated to .50 cal or 12.7mm is really thick. A half inch of properly forged alloy steel is barely enough to stop a .50 cal API round at 1km, and to stop it in close, you need an inch worth. Given these vehicles are made with the finest of scrapyard salvage, figure twice that is needed to provide proper protection.

If all you care about is light rifle fire, and occasional potshots with a heavier rifle, those vehicles actually work reasonably well. Against anything with a warhead though? They're basically gigantic coffins waiting to happen.

Is it just me or were like 3 of the four dudes in the truck all named Abu? Or is that something like calling someone 'Comrade' but for ISIS?

I am digging the hilarious little rifle grenades they made, and how poo poo the quality control is that only one of the three even fits in the rifle launcher.

IIRC that Abu thing is a cultural "father" name. So Abu Hajaar is "Father of Hajaar"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

madeintaipei posted:

Pretty much all of their success against professional armies has been against ones like the Saudis, who are notorious for being hilariously incompetent and overflowing with corruption. All of the officers are people who either know somebody or are related to somebody and never really engage in military conduct, like training. They have a ton of expensive equipment like Abrams tanks but never get the training to use them and have poor morale in an actual battle, so there's accounts of ISIS easily capturing tons of US equipment because they caused minor damage (at best) and the crews bailed in a panic.

Once they fight people who have their poo poo together, like the Kurds, it suddenly becomes apparent how bad they are at war. They especially like to waste men on suicide bombings, which is great when you're going against a sleepy garrison and can just drive your armored truck right through the gates but gets you blown up a mile away from Kurdish lines.

Obviously this video has (unseen) death in it, but it's a more typical example of what happens when they try to just drive a bomb car at a defensive position:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vBm1klU4_0

wilderthanmild posted:

If that's the video I'm thinking of, I'm not sure it would have made much a difference. Is it the video where the pull up in a truck, with maybe 10-20 armed gunmen, and then it turns out the target was ready and just dusts the truck end to end with multiple machine guns?

Yeah. From what I remember they were planning an ambush from the truck, but the outpost had been tipped off beforehand. So they all just hide and wait for the gunfire to stop, then pop up and rip the truck to shreds.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

chitoryu12 posted:

He still nearly killed them by putting the very edge of his machine gun barrel on the lip of the armor and forgetting that recoil exists.

Yeah, but Abu Abdullah very nearly does that with an RPG, until his colleague warns him.

Then he forgets that back blast exists and flash-fries the interior of the tankette, including the improved rockets with bits of flammable fuse sticking out the top.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Shut up Meg posted:

Yeah, but Abu Abdullah very nearly does that with an RPG, until his colleague warns him.

Then he forgets that back blast exists and flash-fries the interior of the tankette, including the improved rockets with bits of flammable fuse sticking out the top.

I always wonder what the hell the purpose of those rifle grenades was when they clearly had RPG's in the vehicle.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Isn't there that video of a technical with a rocket pod welded to the back, and when they fire the rocket pod pod it completely toasts the cabin of the vehicle.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

chitoryu12 posted:

Pretty much all of their success against professional armies has been against ones like the Saudis, who are notorious for being hilariously incompetent and overflowing with corruption. All of the officers are people who either know somebody or are related to somebody and never really engage in military conduct, like training. They have a ton of expensive equipment like Abrams tanks but never get the training to use them and have poor morale in an actual battle, so there's accounts of ISIS easily capturing tons of US equipment because they caused minor damage (at best) and the crews bailed in a panic.

Saudi armored brigade soldiers (or closest equivalent) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrdH482qEUc. Why yes, these fine men are cool under fire, well trained, and well equipped to fight. At least one of those is mostly true!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Yeah it's this. There's another video showing what happens when your technicals have a run in with actual armor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COI2fA7LEdE

No gore, but their day does not end well.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I'm the slat armor on the open-topped deathmobile

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

wilderthanmild posted:

I always wonder what the hell the purpose of those rifle grenades was when they clearly had RPG's in the vehicle.

Indirect fire, if you're being super generous about it. 'Throw whatever you can carry into the truck, we're gonna go gently caress stuff up!" if you're not.

BMan posted:

I'm the slat armor on the open-topped deathmobile

Technically it can save them in the event someone has a 20mm or some medium caliber they're shooting at it. Reasonably sure they just cargo culted it, knowing it helps stop RPG hits on tanks, and the truck is like a tank, right? So it needs slat armor too!

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 21, 2019

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Isn't there that video of a technical with a rocket pod welded to the back, and when they fire the rocket pod pod it completely toasts the cabin of the vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqyY5VeuB4w

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
It's also easy to overstate the incompetence of middle eastern armies against ISIS. ISIS was often attacking the absolute garbage portions of those armies spread thin over what was largely empty desert. Once they started facing main line forces from those armies, they started to collapse.

That empty desert part is important too. Imagine Canada invaded the US and captured Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, South Dakota, and North Dakota. Ignoring we happen to store our nukes there, it would look like big gains on a map, but be largely inconsequential territory. That was my understanding of ISIS, holding a "large" area, that was mostly empty and rural, even by middle eastern standards.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Christ, that is way way loving worse than I was expecting. Beep beep bepbep PEW PEW PEW.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

wilderthanmild posted:

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah. From what I remember they were planning an ambush from the truck, but the outpost had been tipped off beforehand. So they all just hide and wait for the gunfire to stop, then pop up and rip the truck to shreds.

It's not really appropriate to post here, but I know the one you mean:

They slowly drive their Toyota Hilux through the deep sand, alongside this huge fortification with giant walls, machine gun nests, sandbags and completely and pointlessly get shot and died.

And all I can think is 'Just what were you hoping to acheive here?'

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Shut up Meg posted:

It's not really appropriate to post here, but I know the one you mean:

They slowly drive their Toyota Hilux through the deep sand, alongside this huge fortification with giant walls, machine gun nests, sandbags and completely and pointlessly get shot and died.

And all I can think is 'Just what were you hoping to acheive here?'

The one I'm thinking of is different. It's more like a cargo truck just filled to the brim with gunmen and they pull up to what appears to be a small outpost.

I think I remember one like that. It was a one in the early part of the Iraq Insurgency. They feature a whole long planning phase and a speech, but they just get torn up by the garrison while attacking a well entrenched US base. Is that the video you're thinking of?

Edit: Is there a megathread for stuff like this?

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

That angle grinder tool is clearly just a cheap knockoff of this far superior American invention

https://www.revealnews.org/article/this-tool-cuts-fingers-and-gashes-faces-but-shipbuilder-still-uses-it/

these are completely safe for their intended use

their intended use is not cutting lol

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

Once they fight people who have their poo poo together, like the Kurds, it suddenly becomes apparent how bad they are at war. They especially like to waste men on suicide bombings, which is great when you're going against a sleepy garrison and can just drive your armored truck right through the gates but gets you blown up a mile away from Kurdish lines.

Pretty sure ISIS has never fought the Saudi's on the ground, unless you want to count Juhayman al-Otaybi's raid, which I would allow but it's a stretch for this argument. And ISIS steamrolled Kurdish forces (who have their fair share of make believe tanks) all the way up to Kobane on the Turkish border in a matter of months until a campaign of US airstrikes turned the tide.

Anyways, more on topic, Juhayman al-Otaybi and the grand mosque seizure are pretty OSHA. I'm heading to work now, but later I can post some very unflattering accounts of the Saudi's attempts to breach the compound.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

There was actually one (likely posted ITT, but awhile back and likely in coordination with news on someone doing trainhopping vids literally like this dying under unstated-but-pretty-obvious circumstances) where it was just someone trainhopping with a gopro, no voiceover, no annotations beyond occasional time-and-date, that were pretty cool.

NWS NWS NWS
https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=uJhr_1558336456
NWS NWS NWS

Guy tries to train hop and loses something.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Volkerball posted:

And ISIS steamrolled Kurdish forces (who have their fair share of make believe tanks) all the way up to Kobane on the Turkish border in a matter of months until a campaign of US airstrikes turned the tide.

Whoa, what? I thought the Kurds were well trained and generally good fighters.

(Is there a better thread for this?)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

sandoz posted:

these are completely safe for their intended use

their intended use is not cutting lol

so what is their intended use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

wilderthanmild posted:

The one I'm thinking of is different. It's more like a cargo truck just filled to the brim with gunmen and they pull up to what appears to be a small outpost.

I think I remember one like that. It was a one in the early part of the Iraq Insurgency. They feature a whole long planning phase and a speech, but they just get torn up by the garrison while attacking a well entrenched US base. Is that the video you're thinking of?

Edit: Is there a megathread for stuff like this?

Yeah, it's that one. I think it was Burma in the jungle.