Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
My impressions of TOR were much more negative. But with games of this age you get a bit of a natural bias in terms of feedback. The people who loved it played it a bunch and have great feedback, while the people like me who didn't like it much have moved on and mostly forgotten what they didn't like about it. So I can't tell you exactly what it was that I didn't like except for some vague generalities. Even to me, the game seemed pretty OK. Like, if I had hated it, I would actually remember what I hated. But I merely thought it was sub-par, so none of the details stuck. Its closest comparable game is Mouse Guard, and there were several places in the game where TOR and Mouse Guard have similar mechanics with similar design goals and Mouse Guard's were clearly better designed. What were those specific places? I dunno - I forgot!

But what Cirno says is definitely true - it's a focused game designed around having adventures like The Hobbit, and so despite any flaws, that makes it 100 times better than just putting a hobbit skin on a D&D ripoff. Back when it came out, you could still find a Mouse Guard hack called Realm Guard, and I recommended that at the time, but I have no idea if it's easy to find anymore, and anyway it was more focused and less versatile than TOR - in Realm Guard, you play a group of rangers of the north, guarding the roadways and keeping monsters away from the realms of men, so you can't play as dwarves or hobbits or whatever, so it might not suit your needs.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ProfessorCirno posted:

It is the Lord of the Rings / Hobbit roleplaying game, period. It's not a bad D&D skin or anything like that - it is built, 100%, and is fantastic at, running a long-scale low key adventure in Middle Earth with all that signifies. It's basically near perfect at genre emulation.
Part of this is that it's one of the very, very few games that handles the logistics of overland travel and encumbrance without being a fiddly accounting project.

Fuego Fish posted:

So, from left to right here, we have:
Holy poo poo, this is ridiculous. Why would a Bat-Flash be evil? And what's with the baby, it looks like a baby Darks-

quote:

Feature in foreground: BABY DARKSEID doo doo doo doo doo doo
Seriously?

Baby Darkseid
Baby Darkseid
Ridin' on a bat
Baby Darkseid

Helical Nightmares posted:

Anyway, I was forwarded an interesting forum post on the history of RPGs in Brazil.

Vampire made a big splash; Call of Cthulhu is not even mentioned.
Brazil does have a vibrant goth scene. There are European bands that jump the pond to play Brazil without even bothering to tour big cities on the East Coast. (Our visa situation doesn't help.)

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 21, 2019

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Warthur posted:

Re: The One Ring 2nd Edition - I note that they've shifted the timeline a bit from "5 years after the end of The Hobbit" to "25 years after", which I guess means we'll see less rehashes of 1st edition adventures and more stuff exploring things closer to the kickoff of the War of the Ring.

It's a pretty clear desire to bank on what the general public remembers about LotR rather than on its faithfulness to Tolkien's oeuvre, which is a little worrying, but I guess I trust C7 enough not to cock it up.

Given that all the supplements are planned to be compatible with TOR 2e, the mechanical changes will probably not be very extensive.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Halloween Jack posted:

Holy poo poo, this is ridiculous. Why would a Bat-Flash be evil?

I mean, he did murder the original Flash to get his powers, and he wanted those powers so he could do some more murderin' in the first place, so... that way, I guess?

The event was nothing if not consistent in giving the audience a bunch of murderous Batsmen from grimdark Elseworlds.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Fuego Fish posted:

I mean, he did murder the original Flash to get his powers, and he wanted those powers so he could do some more murderin' in the first place, so... that way, I guess?

Murdered him? Based on the earlier description I literally had in mind Batman saying "hey, how can I make the Batmobile more aerodynamic? Well, we know that the Flash is completely immune to air resistence.. so obviously the most aerodynamic car is one with the Flash strapped to it."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

hyphz posted:

Murdered him? Based on the earlier description I literally had in mind Batman saying "hey, how can I make the Batmobile more aerodynamic? Well, we know that the Flash is completely immune to air resistence.. so obviously the most aerodynamic car is one with the Flash strapped to it."

No, he kidnapped the Flash and chained him to the batmobile for the express purpose of stealing his powers and killing all the criminals in a flash.

How this jives with Reverse Flash terroizing Batman? Reverse Flash mocking him that its impossible for Bruce to ever beat a Flash? Reverse Flash gloating any Flash can slow their perception of time down so far that they'd have hundreds of years to plan their next move? All in a storyline that came out only three months prior?

Who knows: Bat is popular so he can do miracles because "its so cool ehmaigawd because I can be Batman if I try hard enough cause I'm already as smart clearly unlike Chad and Stacey!"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'd presume it's a game of rocket tag. You can't beat the flash of he's expecting you but a good friend of his suddenly betraying the poo poo out of him is different.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

hyphz posted:

Worth mentioning that he and the other evil Batmen are from a literal Dark Multiverse, composed of flawed universes literally too grimdark to survive, and since the Dark Multiverse is overseen by a bat demon by the name of Barbatos, that darkness often had as it's focal point the local Batman equivalent

Not even going to go into Baby Darkseid, cause the events that resulted in that are goofy even by DC comics standards

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Not even going to go into Baby Darkseid, cause the events that resulted in that are goofy even by DC comics standards

Is Baby Darkseid or Young Apocalypse (Evan Sabahnur) stupider in terms of comics deaging their big antagonists?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Warthur posted:

Re: The One Ring 2nd Edition - I note that they've shifted the timeline a bit from "5 years after the end of The Hobbit" to "25 years after", which I guess means we'll see less rehashes of 1st edition adventures and more stuff exploring things closer to the kickoff of the War of the Ring.

Between that and the very long (in terms of IC time) campaigns like The Darkening of Mirkwood I can see potential for playing a TOR campaign where you flat-out Great Pendragon Campaign it, playing all the way from the start of the 1st edition timeline to the War of the Ring.

Or I just play an elf. :colbert:

Although for serious, TOR is one of those games I would dearly love to try because when you find a good AP or even people just talking about it, it feels like the game really sings.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Arivia posted:

Is Baby Darkseid or Young Apocalypse (Evan Sabahnur) stupider in terms of comics deaging their big antagonists?

Evan is actually perfectly fine, for one thing he isn't the original, he's a clone, and secondly they actually used him pretty well overall

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Also, Apocalypse had already been really badly devalued for over two decades. The whole story that introduced Evan was probably the best Apocalypse story since Louise Simonson went off X-Factor; we're talking about a character that got rolled multiple times in order to try and sell Stryfe as a villain.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Also, Apocalypse had already been really badly devalued for over two decades. The whole story that introduced Evan was probably the best Apocalypse story since Louise Simonson went off X-Factor; we're talking about a character that got rolled multiple times in order to try and sell Stryfe as a villain.

Is it weird that I actually kinda like Stryfe's design, it's just so ridiculous

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Arivia posted:

Cosmic Ghost Rider had a dilemma about whether or not killing baby Thanos was a good idea

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Is it weird that I actually kinda like Stryfe's design, it's just so ridiculous

I mean, Stryfe is lovable in a way a lot of oversold 1990s characters are these days, and it's not like he's unsalvageable, but I don't think he's as strong a concept as Apocalypse was.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Why aren't more apocalpyse setting like Nausica of the Valley of the Wind?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Covok posted:

Cause that takes more effort than Mad Max ripoff #85

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Covok posted:

I think people like conflict in their apocalypse settings, and I think Nausica is kind of about the opposite of that. The game would have to be about avoiding fights, which is a great concept, but probably not very broadly appealing or very easy to pull off.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Covok posted:

because it doesn't appeal to libertarian power fantasies as much as mad max ripoff #85

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

PinheadSlim posted:

I think people like conflict in their apocalypse settings, and I think Nausica is kind of about the opposite of that. The game would have to be about avoiding fights, which is a great concept, but probably not very broadly appealing or very easy to pull off.

I've only seen the anime once well over a decade ago and I recall it being pretty pacifist, but I just recently re-read the manga and, oof, even Nausicaa is putting fools in the ground left and right.

Even so, while it probably wouldn't do good sales, nowadays we have plenty of possibilities for designing games about avoiding bloody violence.

Covok
May 27, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Cause that takes more effort than Mad Max ripoff #85

Brother Entropy posted:

because it doesn't appeal to libertarian power fantasies as much as mad max ripoff #85

Jinx, you owe me a non-branded generic soft drink.

Also,

PinheadSlim posted:

This is true. It's about being a good person to each other and the enviroment. Its about living in peace with your fellow men and fixing the sins of the past. Its about a better future.

Brother Entropy posted:

doesn't appeal to libertarian power fantasies

But neckbeards don't care about that poo poo.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I kinda have in mind to make a postapoc fantasy setting like nausicaa as a sequel to a previous FFD6 game I abandoned. Basically it had the heroes of the previous game saving the world from the evil empire and yadda yadda but the cost of the final battle was so destructive that the magic crystals that powered the continent's magitek are completely shattered, the people are mutated from humans only to demihumans like moogle, bangaa, viera and others, magic becomes extremely rare for people, the artificial monsters that the empire created for war become feral and a clear danger and the previous five nations can't cope with these changes and decay into several tiny villages with only a couple of city states slowly reemerging.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Covok posted:

No, he kidnapped the Flash and chained him to the batmobile for the express purpose of stealing his powers and killing all the criminals in a flash.

How this jives with Reverse Flash terroizing Batman? Reverse Flash mocking him that its impossible for Bruce to ever beat a Flash? Reverse Flash gloating any Flash can slow their perception of time down so far that they'd have hundreds of years to plan their next move? All in a storyline that came out only three months prior?

Who knows: Bat is popular so he can do miracles because "its so cool ehmaigawd because I can be Batman if I try hard enough cause I'm already as smart clearly unlike Chad and Stacey!"

You too, can be born into wealth with enough hard work! :ancap:

drrockso20 posted:

Worth mentioning that he and the other evil Batmen are from a literal Dark Multiverse, composed of flawed universes literally too grimdark to survive, and since the Dark Multiverse is overseen by a bat demon by the name of Barbatos, that darkness often had as it's focal point the local Batman equivalent

Seems a bit strange given that the Iron Age of Comics was a thing in Marvel/DC's main continuity.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Flying Circus very much has that feel to it, fwiw

Covok
May 27, 2013

Haystack posted:

Flying Circus very much has that feel to it, fwiw

What's Flying Circus?

Also this: https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/72twui/rpg_settings_similar_to_nausicaa_of_the_valley_of/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

And this: https://maxpeterswrites.wordpress.com/category/nausicaa/

Former is a list of reddit thinks is a nausica rpg.

And a Nausica Fate Hack.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Chuubo is also an example of "surprisingly pleasant post-apocalyptic fantasy."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Chuubo is also an example of "surprisingly pleasant post-apocalyptic fantasy."

Believe it or not, it was on the redditots list. I never considered reddit a place for chuubos fans.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Liquid Communism posted:

Make everyone play Freebase, the HOL LARP.

It has the only good alignment system in an RPG

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

whydirt posted:

It has the only good alignment system in an RPG

Really? I thought there were tons of RPGs with no alignment system at all.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Covok posted:

What's Flying Circus?

Erika Chappel's game about mercenary companies flying biplanes in a post-apocalyptic interwar Miyazaki-inspired Wilhelmine fantasy-Germany.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Covok posted:

Excuse me, Rifts has been ripping off Nausicaä since the beginning.

(Badly, in a "Wow, cool monsters!" sense.)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

sexpig by night posted:

Book of Vile Darkness is so over the top tryhard I genuinely can't tell if it's just an unfunny joke stretched out for a full price splatbook or if someone really thought a baddie like that would make players go 'woah that's so hosed bro'.

The Book of Vile Darkness was written by Monte Cook, so that should tell you all you need to know

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

LatwPIAT posted:

Erika Chappel's game about mercenary companies flying biplanes in a post-apocalyptic interwar Miyazaki-inspired Wilhelmine fantasy-Germany.

That sounds rad as hell

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Brother Entropy posted:

It shocks me in hindsight that I got into Mad Max and Nausicaä within a couple of years of each other, considering as a uh 13-year-old? you would really think only the spiked shoulder pads would appeal to me, but there you have it. Edit: Wow I just learned for the first time that both of these things also came out like 10 years before I encountered them

Also I am one of the legendarily unfortunate souls who learned about the latter via the incredibly weirdly-edited "Warriors of the Wind" VHS tape, purchased from the bargain bin at my local Musicland as there were only three total anime titles available and I had seen the other two, how 90s can this sentence get

Though to be fair I felt the music in Nausicaä was about as big a selling point as the endless fields of giant scarabs or undead god-warriors or bodacious gliders; which RPG system is right for me if I want the campaign to be based entirely around beautiful music

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I've you've only seen Nausicaa, this your regular reminder to go read the manga too. It's a much more complex and satisfying story.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

I've you've only seen Nausicaa, this your regular reminder to go read the manga too. It's a much more complex and satisfying story.

Same can be said about Akira

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

I literally bought the manga today.

So, suck on that lemon...lime...or maybe not. Maybe feel satisfied? Or nothing at all. Yeah, nothing at all makes the most sense. In the grand scheme of the cosmos, feeling anything is pointless.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Covok posted:

In the grand scheme of the cosmos, feeling anything is pointless.
In the grand scheme of the cosmos, everything is pointless because the universe is a meaningless expanse of infinite nothingness. :geno:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Yawgmoth posted:

In the grand scheme of the cosmos, everything is pointless because the universe is a meaningless expanse of infinite nothingness. :geno:
In the grand scheme of the cosmos, everything is pointless but it'd be cool as hell to tell a story that our great-grand kids will be able to learn one day! Like, poo poo, we live in a world where a Youtube video about doing Historically Accurate Hairstyles from the 17th century leads my friend to read the actual manual and realize it's a 400 page polemic on proto-socialism and women's rights and recognizing the signs of spousal abuse and germ theory and what actors the (male) writer thinks are hot and then around page 300 it actually becomes a hair care guide. And he self-published that thing and sold them for a buck apiece knowing people would just glaze over at it and the right audience would be able to find it because it was mostly meant for lower class women. Nothing matters but man it's a wild and beautiful world out there and we should see what stories we can tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoZUjxstIZs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

The Akira manga, and the Nausicaa manga to a much lesser extent, suffer from the problem a lot of epic manga do where it just sort of rambles for a long time. In fact it's kinda really bad in the Akira manga.