Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Earwicker posted:

Lost had one good season, then one decent season, and then four seasons of slow dreadful decline but everyone stuck around just to see if there was going to be some kind of "explanation", which they finally sort of did and turned out to be a very obvious idea that the writers had already publicly denied repeatedly, like three seasons earlier. it wasnt just that the ending was bad it was kind of like we all knew the writers were digging themselves into a hole for four seasons and people kept watching just to see if they could get out of it.

(coughs, points to thread title)

Can't wait to find out that Rey is a Skywalker because this whole postquel trilogy has been Literally Jacen Solo the entire time and the only reason Disney killed the EU was so they wouldn't have to pay royalties. Which was what literally everyone called the moment the first trailer hit for Force Awakens.

It's going to subvert everyone's expectations!

(By being rear end.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

revwinnebago posted:

It's going to subvert everyone's expectations!

(By being rear end.)

This would not be a subversion of my expectations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

See it being good would subvert your expectation, but thats almost expected. Instead it will subvert your expectation in a fascinating, heretofor unpredicted way; the 3rd act is just an uninterrupted time share commercial.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
The only way Episode IX could subvert my expectations of being rear end would be if it was just 3 hours of Daisy Ridley and John Boyega sitting on cakes and farting. It would be rear end for completely different reasons, thus subverting my expectations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Just Fin and Poe 69ing for 2.5 hours.

poo poo no that wouldn’t subvert anything.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Episode IX will subvert my expectations if:
- They replace Finn with a white actor doing blackface
- They never address this offensive and unnecessary change, either in the film or IRL
- When asked, John Boyega adamantly insists that he plays the character of Finn in the movie, and doesn’t understand why everyone keeps saying he’s been replaced by a white man in grotesque blackface

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

I'm working on an op-ed about the idea of art through adversity and how culturally we tend to place the success of anything (business, tech, arts) on one person. My two prime examples right now are GRRM and Lucas, but I'm wondering what other, less obvious examples there are. I feel like Bezos and Musk are easy targets, and I'm trying to keep this more weighted towards pop-culture and art.

Any good examples you all can think of where having a diverse and collaborative team produced something great but only one person was credited with it? Or vice-versa, where one person's overbearing control of a project tanked it?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

Episode IX will subvert my expectations if:
- They replace Finn with a white actor doing blackface
- They never address this offensive and unnecessary change, either in the film or IRL
- When asked, John Boyega adamantly insists that he plays the character of Finn in the movie, and doesn’t understand why everyone keeps saying he’s been replaced by a white man in grotesque blackface

What if it was John Boyega in "whiteface" with suuuper well done and CGI enhanced makeup and then over that is a poorly done blackface?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

they should apply the snapchat genderswap filter to all the characters

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Lil Peeler posted:

Any good examples you all can think of where having a diverse and collaborative team produced something great but only one person was credited with it?

its pretty common in the music world, lots of albums and stage shows are attributed mainly to one figure or handful of figures but the work is truly the result of a large number of people putting in both creative and technical work. in most cases those other people are formally credited in liner notes but the general public is completely unaware of them

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lil Peeler posted:

I'm working on an op-ed about the idea of art through adversity and how culturally we tend to place the success of anything (business, tech, arts) on one person. My two prime examples right now are GRRM and Lucas, but I'm wondering what other, less obvious examples there are. I feel like Bezos and Musk are easy targets, and I'm trying to keep this more weighted towards pop-culture and art.

Any good examples you all can think of where having a diverse and collaborative team produced something great but only one person was credited with it? Or vice-versa, where one person's overbearing control of a project tanked it?

Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Moridin920 posted:

What if it was John Boyega in "whiteface" with suuuper well done and CGI enhanced makeup and then over that is a poorly done blackface?

Holy poo poo.

My expectations have been subverted x2

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Lil Peeler posted:

"Houston 500"

Lil Peeler posted:

Or vice-versa, where one person's overbearing control of a project tanked it?

"Star Wars"

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
No movie has ever left me with such a profound, lingering sense of utter disappointment. So much so that I eventually spent years researching and rewriting the prequels myself, studying and applying proper story structure, removing all the spoilers, contradictions and plot holes and inventing clever ways to have the two trilogies compliment and inform each other. I posted my outline on /r/fixingmovies where it was very well received, and is still the top prequels post on that sub.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fixingmovies/comments/4g5kot/fixing_the_star_wars_prequels/

Now that I see just how great they could have been, I've gone from merely being very disappointed with the Prequels, to pretty much despising them.

I've tried sharing my rewrite in /r/starwars, but the prequel fanboys instantly shut down anyone who suggests that the Prequels are more than a little bad. The prequel memes trend has made it nearly impossible to have a serious conversation about the huge flaws of the prequels these days.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'ma read that when I get back from my lunch break and lol at the prequels

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

prequels are inherently risky because it's an act of profound artistic second-guessing.

you already started your story at what you thought was the most interesting point and relegated the rest to sketched-out backstory, probably correctly.

namaste

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vim Fuego posted:

No movie has ever left me with such a profound, lingering sense of utter disappointment. So much so that I eventually spent years researching and rewriting the prequels myself, studying and applying proper story structure, removing all the spoilers, contradictions and plot holes and inventing clever ways to have the two trilogies compliment and inform each other. I posted my outline on /r/fixingmovies where it was very well received, and is still the top prequels post on that sub.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fixingmovies/comments/4g5kot/fixing_the_star_wars_prequels/

Now that I see just how great they could have been, I've gone from merely being very disappointed with the Prequels, to pretty much despising them.

I've tried sharing my rewrite in /r/starwars, but the prequel fanboys instantly shut down anyone who suggests that the Prequels are more than a little bad. The prequel memes trend has made it nearly impossible to have a serious conversation about the huge flaws of the prequels these days.

Congratulations, you have the best post in a subreddit where people compete to see who can huff their own farts the most deeply

The prequels are trash. That said, that post is basically a summary of some fanfic that a teenager wrote during detention. You've got a few good ideas but it's mostly pretty bad. Sorry

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

QuarkJets posted:

basically a summary of some fanfic that a teenager wrote during detention

so about 30x better than whatever Lucas wrote

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

i mean ultimately it's still fanfiction but i liked it

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They really should just make a movie out if KOTOR. There's enough there for 2 movies at least imo. The Revan and Malak story is already written for them.

Or maybe not because they'll likely gently caress it up somehow and then that'll just be another thing that sucks.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 22, 2019

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

QuarkJets posted:

Congratulations, you have the best post in a subreddit where people compete to see who can huff their own farts the most deeply

The prequels are trash. That said, that post is basically a summary of some fanfic that a teenager wrote during detention. You've got a few good ideas but it's mostly pretty bad. Sorry

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

so about 30x better than whatever Lucas wrote

not better, just different. the scrawling in some teenager's notebook (which is basically what this is) is probably on par with the best efforts of George Lucas, they're idiots but in different ways

Moridin920 posted:

They really should just make a movie out if KOTOR. There's enough there for 2 movies at least imo. The Revan and Malak story is already written for them.

Or maybe not because they'll likely gently caress it up somehow and then that'll just be another thing that sucks.

KOTOR does not have a story worth making a movie out of, it would probably be better than TLJ or Rogue Squadron or any of the prequel movies but it'd still be really bad

it's still possible for good star wars things to get made, i watched a bunch of star wars rebels with my cousin's kids and it was surprisingly good right up until it got canceled

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

harsh words happening in the SW thread fwiw basically an inclusive safe space opera where everyone can just hang out, have a good time, and byob (bring your own boba)

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

quote:

And none of this "there are heroes on both sides" bullshit. This is Star Wars, the villains have to be evil as hell.
uh what about darth vader

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Martman posted:

uh what about darth vader

who?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

quote:

Clones are on the evil side in my version, secretly bred by the Sith to take over the Republic
But that's what they are in the prequels :thunk:

quote:

Darth Maul returns with a robotic lower-half
:cripes:
Just don't cut him in half in the first place then. Bringing back obviously dead characters just removes all the stakes, like in comic books where... ahem "no one's ever really gone".

I also don't know what it is with fans and this "gotta preserve the twists in the OT". There is not a person on this planet that doesn't know Vader is Luke's father. That's like the one thing everyone knows about Star Wars.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

you can't get rid of pod racing, it's too integral to the Darth Vader character

also jar-jar binks is too much of a key player, what with being Darth Plagueis, you can't get rid of him

Barudak
May 7, 2007

People who try to perserve that Luke's father is Darth Vader are the nerd equivalent of cheerleading moms

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

I can't watch the prequels all the way through but I thought it was funny how they made Obi Wan a poo poo-hot starfighter pilot in his youth, and then when he's an old man later he's like "Uh... better find someone who can fly us on a ship. No not you Luke, someone else plot-worthy."

Episode IX
Darth Maul returns, but this time he's double-trouble; one half has bionic legs, the other has a bionic top half (but kind of crudely done to suggest raw power and aggression, wires sparking and sticking out all over the place). They shrug off rough spun wool cloaks and turn to face each other as they activate their lightsabers in tandem. One. Two. Three, Four lightsaber blades extend from their hilts... [epic pause] and then and fifth and six blade emerge to reveal the fabled tri-saber technique thought to have been lost forever!

Finn accidentally backs over one of them when he mistakenly accelerates his X-wing while in reverse gear. R2 uses his electric cattle prod to zap the bionic legged sith in the groin while Poe cracks wise about shocking his "darth balls."

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
so now that anakin is a slave in that weird fanfic you're gonna have evil ex slave darth vader voiced by james earl jones? kinda hosed up

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The thing with KOTOR is that it is mad guilty of being a rehash of the original trilogy, i.e. the thing everyone already trashes the new movies and particularly TFA for. In the case of KOTOR it actually works in its favor because it’s an RPG, its whole purpose is to give you the feel that you’re playing through Star Wars but You Are The Hero, Turn To Page 69. The different setting allows them to have a freer hand with canon, but also to shamelessly repeat motifs and character types from the original movies whenever they please. That wouldn’t work in a movie.

KOTOR 2 just wouldn’t work in a movie at all because it’s a meta story about RPGs and how they’re weird.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I like the prequels because I’ve spent more enjoyable hours ragging on them than the couple miserable hours it cost me to watch them once decades ago

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

QuarkJets posted:

KOTOR does not have a story worth making a movie out of

skasion posted:

The thing with KOTOR is that it is mad guilty of being a rehash of the original trilogy, i.e. the thing everyone already trashes the new movies and particularly TFA for.

You guys aren't wrong necessarily but nonetheless it would be better than whatever the gently caress Disney is doing.

TFA rips off the originals wholesale, KOTOR at least has enough of a remix on it that it would be fine. You fuckin' know everyone would love Emilia Clarke as Bastila Shan.

Jedi have a schism, there is a galactic civil war with Sith fleets coming from unknown space, the Republic is crumbling, the heros are Bastila, a Han Solo type, and Revan who has been mind tricked by the Jedi into thinking he's just some guy. Instead of a Death Star it is some ancient star forge that uses dark side energy to build war machines. If you can't make a space wizards movie out of that then you're just not trying idk

Can even draw in some villains from KOTOR 2 because while I agree that one is way more esoteric for a movie, the villains are cool. A Sith lord who can't die out of sheer force of will in keeping his body together through the Force, or some other alien Sith lord who feeds on Force energy. Either would be better than "angry Vader Junior."

\/\/\/ yeah he does

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 22, 2019

Aug 3, 2014

I will maintain that despite his “Ehhhh” name, Darth Nihilius has one of the coolest looks in the context of SW villains.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Wasn't he just a spooky robes guy? Star Wars just needs to embrace CGI and wacky aliens and just go all out. Make the big bad a truck sized slug monster who is also sith.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
He had a pretty cool mask, iirc it is implied he is kind of not fully corporeal either. I mean Kylo Ren is basically just spooky robes and a mask except shittier.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Maybe make a sith lord who always wears a hood and then at some point they take off the hood and it's one of those headless cyborgs from solo and the bad guy is like a disembodied computer virus with magic powers!

Come on D&D this is your ticket to success!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Nihilus doesn’t have a body or much of a mind anymore by the time you meet him ingame, he’s just an empty suit of armor that wants to eat everyone pretty much. Basically the goth version of No Face from Spirited Away

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
See? Existential cosmic horror borne from a obsessed megalomaniacal Sith lord is way better than Snoke.

\/\/\/ agreed tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The guy with 420 broken bones in his body and hamburger everything else was way cooler than that goth jerkoff.