Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Jose posted:

FIFA announcing changes to the club world cup and also this

https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/1106597680057368576

I want to see a joint Qatar-Europe World Cup

The jet lag will rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

julian assflange posted:

The head of the Football Association of Ireland apparently “loaned” the association €100k two years then tried to stop people reporting on it through a court injunction. As usual this has had the opposite effect and the government is poking around.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/sport-ireland-asks-fai-to-explain-100-000-loan-1.3831907

Even if it was a normal loan, it begs the question of why the association needed it in the first place under his management.

Lol I forgot about this beauty:

“In 2015, it was revealed that, five years previously, Fifa, led by Sepp Blatter, had given a sum of €4m to the FAI as a form of compensation for Thierry Henry’s handball in a World Cup qualifying match in 2009.”

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lmao

https://twitter.com/robharris/status/1109541249613205507?s=21

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I can't read the article but the takeaway is that there is a good chance the world cup might get expanded to 48 teams and cohosted in the UAE and saudi arabia as well as qatar

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1124611930239438849

Jose fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 4, 2019

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Of course FIFA are up for some of that Saudi blood money

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/danielstorey85/status/1130576078039375878?s=19
https://twitter.com/danielstorey85/status/1130578150243622913?s=19

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Seems reasonable

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Jose posted:

I can't read the article but the takeaway is that there is a good chance the world cup might get expanded to 48 teams and cohosted in the UAE and saudi arabia as well as qatar

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1124611930239438849

48 teams is officially out, as is UAE and KSA co-hosting until they restore diplomacy with Qatar

http://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/3859866/fifa-scraps-plans-for-48-team-world-cup-in-2022

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

quote:

PSG President Nasser Al Khelaifi under formal investigation for corruption after allegedly trying to buy the 2017 World Athletics Championships, according to Le Parisien.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
That's a bit rich. Qatar in summer is perfect for athletics

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/06/03/how-football-leaks-is-exposing-corruption-in-european-soccer

The New Yorker put together a good piece on the Football Leaks and Rui Pinto.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Thanks for the link. I hadn't heard about some of those scandals, and just... wow whoa

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

quote:

Wulzinger showed me the paperwork for the transfer of Paul Pogba, the midfielder for the World Cup-winning French national team, who moved from Juventus to Manchester United for a hundred and five million euros in the summer of 2016. The contracts promised forty-nine million euros to Pogba’s agent, Mino Raiola, who represented all three sides in the deal.
Haha I hadn't heard this one.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/ftamsut/status/1136298752556355585
https://twitter.com/ftamsut/status/1136298767609729024
https://twitter.com/ftamsut/status/1136298775075610624

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/caf-president-ahmad-ahmad-allegedly-arrested-in-france/1ph95nhtv6ra61t7gn0yqblyxt

According to Jeune Afrique, Ahmad Ahmad was detained at 8:30am and will face the anti-corruption agency's Central Office for Combating Corruption and Financial and Tax Crimes (Oclif).

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Time to close the thread

https://twitter.com/RobHarris/status/1136180183428415488

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

nuke Qatar 2022

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Minor in comparison, but FIFA's been caught fudging attendance numbers at the Women's World Cup

quote:

Fifa says 14 of 52 Women's World Cup matches have sold out, having previously said it was 20 and claiming tickets were only available for a "few matches".

Only two of nine matches have reached capacity - France's opening win over South Korea in Paris (45,261) and Brazil's victory against Jamaica in Grenoble (17,668).

But there has been confusion after England's opener against Scotland was being billed as close to sold out, but only 13,188 fans attended.

The match was held at the 35,100-capacity Stade de Nice, meaning it was only 37% full.

As a percentage of capacity, that is the lowest figure in the tournament so far.

Fifa said prior to the tournament that 950,000 tickets had been sold, and president Gianni Infantino had claimed: "We already sold out 20 matches or so."

But on Tuesday the world governing body said that figure was now 14, and it had reached an "important milestone" as sales passed one million.

The 14 matches that had sold out include the group games of hosts France and holders the United States, plus the semi-finals and final, which are held in Lyon.

After nine games, in which all stadiums have been used except for Lyon, the average attendance has been 18,405, equating to a capacity of 63%.

But on 7 May, Fifa wrote on its Twitter account that "you can still buy tickets for a few matches".

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Fifa are desperate for it to be a success. They're pouring more and more money into a something with not much commercial viability at the moment. Seeing as must people I've spoken too (in the UK) who are casual football fans had no idea the Woman's World Cup was even on I'm not too surprised.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Just Chamber posted:

Fifa are desperate for it to be a success. They're pouring more and more money into a something with not much commercial viability at the moment. Seeing as must people I've spoken too (in the UK) who are casual football fans had no idea the Woman's World Cup was even on I'm not too surprised.

I mean why would they not be though? Live sport can still be incredibly lucrative, and it is not like growing the women's game isn't going to lead to Fifa getting more bribe money

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Just Chamber posted:

IIRC a big problem has been that just getting tickets has been an absolute nightmare depending on where or how you were buying them. Stuff like...you could get tickets for your family but the venue wouldn't guarantee that you would get to sit next to your preteen kids because of algorithms and reasons which is :wtf:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i find it kind of funny that a very extremely casual sports fan like myself is usually aware of the women's cup. then again this is probably because i'm american and our women's team has been very good for so long. it would be interesting to see polling in countries with a good men's team but not-so-good women's team, like in terms of how many people in those countries even know that they have a national FIFA women's team

e: lol welp

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

gtkor posted:

I mean why would they not be though? Live sport can still be incredibly lucrative, and it is not like growing the women's game isn't going to lead to Fifa getting more bribe money

Yeah but I think they've poured quite a massive amount into the World Cup compared to previous years and they're going to be very keen to make it appear that that investment has paid off and if less than a quarter of your matches have sold out it reflects poorly on them I mean. They solely care about making a profit on the back of this and I just don't think the general interest is there at the moment. It's hard for fifa to get fifa quality bribes when the game isnt making money hand over fist like the men's game.

That ticket issue is hosed though, shows there's a lot of work to be done to bring it to the quality of the men's tournaments. It's very early days in fifa actually properly investing in the women's game so hopefully things like that get ironed out in future.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i find it kind of funny that a very extremely casual sports fan like myself is usually aware of the women's cup. then again this is probably because i'm american and our women's team has been very good for so long. it would be interesting to see polling in countries with a good men's team but not-so-good women's team, like in terms of how many people in those countries even know that they have a national FIFA women's team

e: lol welp

Yea success plays a massive part in getting a nation involved in a sport. It's why the US men's team doing so well a few years ago was so important. Whereas England just doesn't care on the whole about Women's football. The only time we do seem to pay attention is when the Manager of the International team might be a famous ex mens footballer. Arsenal Ladies, the champions of England, a team with multiple international players play their games close to where I live in a men's 6th tier division stadium with only a 4500 capacity. It's embarrassing.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Italy’s women’s team is in the tournament for the first time in 20+ years and they are getting record numbers of viewership domestically, which is nice.

The Juventus women’s team sold out the men’s stadium this year as well, I think. One time, but still.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Gigi Galli posted:

Italy’s women’s team is in the tournament for the first time in 20+ years and they are getting record numbers of viewership domestically, which is nice.

Yea compared to previous years there's still more attention paid to this tournament than before and that's important. Even if it isn't where fifa wants it to be so they can start exploiting it for money the viewership should only rise World Cup to World Cup.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Just Chamber posted:

Yea success plays a massive part in getting a nation involved in a sport. It's why the US men's team doing so well a few years ago was so important. Whereas England just doesn't care on the whole about Women's football. The only time we do seem to pay attention is when the Manager of the International team might be a famous ex mens footballer. Arsenal Ladies, the champions of England, a team with multiple international players play their games close to where I live in a men's 6th tier division stadium with only a 4500 capacity. It's embarrassing.

women's sports is just not given the same money. i live just a few miles away from the stadium where one of the top women's professional basketball teams in the world plays. the top player in that league makes like 300x less than the top player in the men's sister league

overall though, in some ways it might be a legitimate argument to say that FIFA's greed has actually been a net good for women's sports lol, with how much money they've been willing to throw at it. the women who play aren't making bank but it is a pretty outsized cultural presence compared to almost any other sport outside the Olympics

e: it's really cool that Italy is pumped for their women's team, too!!

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 12, 2019

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

We need to remember that women’s football and sports in general are still an emerging market. The first WWC took place 60 years after the first World Cup, that’s actually pretty good all things considered. If you had asked me in 1998 just before the France World Cup as a soccer crazed American I couldn’t have told you that there had been two WWC, let alone that the US won one. 1999 changed a lot because it was the first time a WWC had American TV behind it.

I kind of liken it to lacrosse in the US, a culture I grew up in because my dad played in college and beyond. When I first started going to lacrosse games I would be hanging out with guys who would be akin to hanging out with Pele, Maradona, and Beckenbauer. Now I know almost nothing about the current lacrosse landscape and who is the Messi, Ronaldo, etc. but the fanbase is steadily growing and there are now three pro lacrosse leagues(one indoor) in the US.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
The Beckenbauer of lacrosse ._.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
The fact that the Women's World Cup can even occur is drat near a miracle given the state of Women's sports in a lot of countries.

Also, the ticket fiasco is 100% because FIFA wants to horde the profits and is super stingy on how many tickets are released at given times. If they just opened up the ticket sales in one go they could have made significantly more money.

I read today that they cut group game tickets to start at $10-$15. Yikes.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2018/06/12/spanish-football-app-spied-users-phone-microphones/

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Gigi Galli posted:

The Juventus women’s team sold out the men’s stadium this year as well, I think. One time, but still.

in the US, the women's league is struggling in most cities which is a bummer. Seattle was playing in a high school stadium that couldn't get any sort of upgrades because the school didn't want one field to be nicer than the others despite the team owners being more than happy to pay for it, so they moved to a smaller city south of Seattle.

The Kansas City team was inexplicably moved to Utah where they're finding more success because they're tied to the MLS team.

The Portland team is setting attendance records left and right and has sold out the stadium on multiple occasions, but the MLS tie isn't a surefire way for things to work since Houston isn't doing well despite their partnership.

New Jersey's team was relocated to North Carolina and features the most openly homophobic player in the league's history (she even refused to play for the USWNT when they had rainbow colors on their kits for Pride month).

And this is for a country that boasts how incredible they are with women's soccer. Yeah, they're close to the top of the heap but there are so few countries with the same resources that they're gonna stay at the top no matter what.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

The big reason the women's national team is so good is because schools have to follow Title IX funding requirements for athletics, it has nothing to do with pro leagues. Coincidentally, American college sports is probably just behind FIFA and the IOC in its level of corruption lol

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The big reason the women's national team is so good is because schools have to follow Title IX funding requirements for athletics, it has nothing to do with pro leagues. Coincidentally, American college sports is probably just behind FIFA and the IOC in its level of corruption lol

My post was about domestic interest in the league but yes, people seem to ignore the Title IX aspect of things.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

the escape goat posted:

The Kansas City team was inexplicably moved to Utah where they're finding more success because they're tied to the MLS team.
Oh it wasn't inexplicable. The owners of Kansas City told the league they weren't going to fund the team anymore. KC was technically shut down but the NWSL let Utah take on all of Kansas City's contracts that they saw fit.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

Oh it wasn't inexplicable. The owners of Kansas City told the league they weren't going to fund the team anymore. KC was technically shut down but the NWSL let Utah take on all of Kansas City's contracts that they saw fit.

:gonk:
They were successful, no less. what a mess.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Pook Good Mook posted:

The fact that the Women's World Cup can even occur is drat near a miracle given the state of Women's sports in a lot of countries.

Also, the ticket fiasco is 100% because FIFA wants to horde the profits and is super stingy on how many tickets are released at given times. If they just opened up the ticket sales in one go they could have made significantly more money.

I read today that they cut group game tickets to start at $10-$15. Yikes.

Ticket sales must make up such a small part of their World Cup profits, why would they sabotage the WC for such a pittance? I just don't understand it.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Torrannor posted:

Ticket sales must make up such a small part of their World Cup profits, why would they sabotage the WC for such a pittance? I just don't understand it.

The WWC is such a sideshow that its packaged in as part of the mens tv rights as a sweetener, not it's own individual deal. Probably the only money on the balance books directly from the WWC is tickets.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Byolante posted:

The WWC is such a sideshow that its packaged in as part of the mens tv rights as a sweetener, not it's own individual deal. Probably the only money on the balance books directly from the WWC is tickets.

This and FIFA is clinically obsessed with fighting the second hand market so they don't release tickets all at once, only in blocks and only then to committed buyers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Torrannor posted:

because they're comically greedy and incompetent, op