Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

My partner got a job offer from a State University and two other places she applied to (but was less excited about). It's basically everything she wants and a big pay increase and she's just thinking of taking it without any negotiation, considering it's a bit extra confusing negotiating with public bureaucracies.

Normally shed negotiate, and she is in a good situation to do so, but she's not sure if it's worth it even in this particular case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

El Mero Mero posted:

My partner got a job offer from a State University and two other places she applied to (but was less excited about). It's basically everything she wants and a big pay increase and she's just thinking of taking it without any negotiation, considering it's a bit extra confusing negotiating with public bureaucracies.

Normally shed negotiate, and she is in a good situation to do so, but she's not sure if it's worth it even in this particular case.
Could be the easiest $5k/year she ever makes in her life just by asking.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

State universities may very well have rigid, formulaic pay grades but there's almost certainly no harm in asking, only upside.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

State universities absolutely have strict pay bands (at least mine does). That doesn't mean they offered the top of that band though, make them tell you no.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

El Mero Mero posted:

If they published the pay range with the job posting, and she got offered the top of that range, there's a 98% chance she can't get more. If they didn't post a range, she may have been offered more of the mid range, and there's room there to ask for more.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Just had the initial phone screen and the HR person asked me my salary requirements. I politely gave her a "not sure yet" as to avoid anchoring myself to a number. She said the range for the position is $68-75K. If I get an offer would it be silly to ask for more than 75K? Or is this standard for salary negotiation? I've never had a job where I have negotiated my salary.

Edit: Thinking back to the conversation, I think I may have hosed up and said that the range she specified was acceptable or something to that effect. RIP. Although, 75K would essentially be doubling my income so I guess I would actually be fine with that range lol.

Javes fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 8, 2019

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The question you have to ask as well is, is 75k appropriate for the position? Nothing like getting more money but if other qualified people are willing to do the job for 75k and you demand 80k you might be out of luck.

I tried to hire a guy and had a good back up (he just had less experience). I could do 106k, he wouldn't budge off $120k. So I withdrew the offer and got the younger guy for 82k.

I think you will be fine, especially if 75k is what you would have said without the recruiter saying a range and it is fair for the job.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Yeah the range she gave was a bit more than what was indicated on glassdoor for the specific position at the company and is right in line for the city I'm in according to glassdoor.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
How big of a bridge am I burning if I leave almost immediately after converting to a permanent employee? A few weeks ago, I was bitching about this employer lowballing me by a lot, and an internal recruiter at Oracle just messaged me about their "Solution Consultant Academy"
I don't know exactly what that is, other than it's a path to an actual job at a recognized company, but it's got to pay better than here and might actually teach me something useful.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Love LinkedIn solicitations for a position that AT BEST would pay me 10% less and be a step down.

:fuckoff:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I always think of Linkedin solicitations as being a shotgun blast to cover as many potentials as possible based on whatever criteria they input, ie totally irrelevant and best ignored anyway.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I reply to them all the time. One guy was looking for a senior engineer in Boston for....80k.

I told him that no one will take this job. He did reply in a sad tone that the hiring company won't pay a real wage.

I reply a lot of the time with, did you even read my current job?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lol no they do not

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

What a coincidence, the Oracle message was from LinkedIn.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Simpsons Reference posted:

How big of a bridge am I burning if I leave almost immediately after converting to a permanent employee? A few weeks ago, I was bitching about this employer lowballing me by a lot, and an internal recruiter at Oracle just messaged me about their "Solution Consultant Academy"
I don't know exactly what that is, other than it's a path to an actual job at a recognized company, but it's got to pay better than here and might actually teach me something useful.

This is tech support just in case you're wondering. "solution architects" and "solution engineering" is literally phone tech support.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

spwrozek posted:

I reply to them all the time.
I do too. I'm pretty sure LinkedIn moves you up the rankings in searches and stuff if you always reply to recruiters. You're the product after all, and you're more valuable to LinkedIn if you always respond, even if to say no thanks.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

"Please reply even if you aren't interested as we are tracking our efforts"

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

This is tech support just in case you're wondering. "solution architects" and "solution engineering" is literally phone tech support.

Boo.

Although poo poo, if they want to pay me a lot better to do phone tech support, so be it

quote:

Solution Consultant Academy Burlington, MA

Who are we?
At NetSuite our vision is to “Transform how businesses operate to achieve their business vision”. We deliver a single
integrated business application suite that is the backbone of growth and disruption, enabling business to adapt with agility
and flexibility with the ever changing market needs. We are obsessed with making every customer a fan for life!
Who are we looking for?
Above all else, we look for intelligence, passion and drive. If you wake up every day looking for challenging and creative
ways to grow and develop your career – you will want to get on this ride. The ideal candidate will have a 4 year degree
plus 3 – 5 years of business experience either in: Accounting roles or Supply Chain/Manufacturing roles
What this is not:
 This is not a direct sales role! It is client facing and requires strong presentation skills. The ability and desire to be
part of the client facing sales team, but without the pressure of quota or cold calling!
 This is also NOT a college graduate program, those candidates with less than 3 years of experience post college are
not eligible for this specific program. Those opportunities exist at Oracle, but this is specifically for those with 3-5
years business experience.
What we have to offer:
Our Solution Consultant Associate (SCA) Program prepares business professionals for an exciting and rewarding career
as part of the Pre-Sales Solution Consulting organization at NetSuite.
The program focuses on:
 Sales Acumen: Have conversations from the executive suite to the individual contributors to understand their
business goals and strategies. Articulate how NetSuite can deliver value in helping them achieve these through
Discovery and Demo sales events.
 Solutioning: Understand how to help companies solve business challenges and needs leveraging the NetSuite –
the #1 cloud business application in the world.
 Problem solving: Determine how the NetSuite cloud platform can be configured for unique customer
requirements.
During the program, you will make immediate contributions to the organization by:
 Acquiring and maintaining a working knowledge of the complete capabilities of NetSuite's solution
 Analyzing prospect business needs, understanding processes, identifying projects, and determining requirements
 Engaging and qualifying prospective clients
 Developing and delivering high quality customized presentations and demonstrations that position NetSuite
product features/benefits as the best solution available to prospective clients
 Working on ad hoc projects for various departments within the organization

Why this is a (really) great and unique opportunity: (There are too many reasons to list, so let’s start with a few):
1. Programs like this are rare – our success uniquely positions us to invest in the future talent of NetSuite.
2. We have an awesome leadership team who genuinely care about your success and who you can trust to guide you
through your career.
3. We have a vision that we are passionate about : to provide a web-based business management solution with all the
power of traditional applications at a fraction of the cost. We trail blaze in everything we do, we “take the hill,” and we
are committed to both our customers and our employees.
4. You will receive training and autonomy: NetSuite provides a unique, hands-on learning opportunity that will help give
you a competitive edge early in your career.
5. We are fun (no seriously, we are): NetSuite is built on a culture of teamwork and innovation.
6. This step is a career enhancing move. NetSuite SCs get recruited daily to go back into industry and/or consulting
roles due to their breadth and depth of exposure to multiple clients, industries, and most important technology enabled
business solutions experience! Most choose not to, and we’d love for you to stay your entire career with the company,
but if not just know you have many options. We are SO confident in this, part of the interview process is to talk with
prior graduates of this program to get their honest feedback.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Boo.

Although poo poo, if they want to pay me a lot better to do phone tech support, so be it
If they have to say it's not direct sales, it's direct sales.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah I love these job descriptions where the first sentence is THIS IS NOT DIRECT SALES! and then the next 2-3 sentences are a precise summary of a direct sales role.

"This is not sales!" is HR-ese for "this is sales, but you won't be paid remotely what competent salespeople are worth"

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

quote:

An SC is what we refer to as “inside sales” but you won’t be pounding the pavement, looking for leads and cold-calling. Instead, you’ll be working with customers to select which products will be right for their business needs, performing demos of software and provide the inside perspective since you related to being in their functional “shoes”. You’re the closer!

Who is Oracle?
Oracle is one of the Silicon Valley “OG’s”
I feel more like Alec Baldwin already.

Sorry for making GBS threads up the thread since this isn't technically about negotiating. Still might take a look if it pays more. And it has benefits, at least.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

I feel more like Alec Baldwin already.

Sorry for making GBS threads up the thread since this isn't technically about negotiating. Still might take a look if it pays more. And it has benefits, at least.

In my area I've seen this referred to as "Sales Adjacent". You have the actual sales guys doing the cold calling, pitching, and selling, and you're along for the ride when it comes to demo the product. Your job is to then show them the product, always answer "yes" when a client asks "Can it do [X]?" and then tell the product guys to make it do [X] :v:

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Fhqwhgads posted:

In my area I've seen this referred to as "Sales Adjacent". You have the actual sales guys doing the cold calling, pitching, and selling, and you're along for the ride when it comes to demo the product. Your job is to then show them the product, always answer "yes" when a client asks "Can it do [X]?" and then tell the product guys to make it do [X] :v:

You're talking about a sales engineer role. Inside sales refers to one of two things in my experience. Either someone who does all the cold calls and doesn't see clients, or someone who responds to inbound inquiries and leads rather than doing any prospecting. It sounds like the second.

Zauper fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 15, 2019

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Gigi Galli posted:

In my company we use solution architect and sales engineer interchangeably, but it refers to the technical expert who helps sales further down the road.

Sales rep builds the deal and then when its time for the expert the SA comes in to answer the technical questions.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
solution architects at my company actually do solution design and it architecture and are paid in the mid six figgies

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Mad Wack posted:

solution architects at my company actually do solution design and it architecture and are paid in the mid six figgies

Does the "mid six figgies" imply $150k or 500k?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Figgies is a log scale, gonna throw ~316k into the ring as a valid interpretation here. (6 figgies = 10^(6-1), 7 figgies = 10^(7-1), so mid-6 is 10^(6.5 - 1) or 316k.)

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Figgies is a log scale, gonna throw ~316k into the ring as a valid interpretation here. (6 figgies = 10^(6-1), 7 figgies = 10^(7-1), so mid-6 is 10^(6.5 - 1) or 316k.)

Yeah that's true - usually when I see people say this they mean "150k" which lol mid 6 figgies but I was hoping it was the latter or your equally valid interpretation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuErF0DLCl8

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yeah that's true - usually when I see people say this they mean "150k" which lol mid 6 figgies but I was hoping it was the latter or your equally valid interpretation.
Yeah I have the same thought every time I see that phrase, enough that I have my own "bespoke" answer to the question, as you've now seen.

Here's my other one:
*insert long rant about class signifiers and how which interpretation you see on average depends on whether you are lower upper middle class or middle lower upper class, huffs glue*

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Income is a terrible marker of class. If laws apply to you, you're basically homeless.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

Income is a terrible marker of class. If laws apply to you, you're basically homeless.
I'm not talking about earning those amounts, I'm talking about which interpretation of "mid-six figures" you read when someone else uses those words. That's likely a class signifier.

But yeah, this whole thread/forum is likely full of "income/wealth uncorrelated"-type folks.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I fired my opening salvo on a raise this afternoon. As part of our weekly talks, I brought up the fact that I know what the gap is between my current pay and the pay of someone who does the job I'm now doing (my boss' job) is, and what are we going to do to address that?

That's the cliff's notes version. I have a call with the bank President on Thursday as well, and he'll get the same spiel since he has the actual power and my MD is just an empty suit.

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 21, 2019

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

150 base with 20-40% bonus depending on how well you negotiate plus stock

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

but yeah lol mid six figgies in my world means 150k

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Was surprised to see that solution architect = tech support comment. Where is that notion from? Every other instance until now of solution architect I've heard it's been people who piece together various technologies to make a bigger thing work (e.g. how will you deploy your poo poo on AWS) and pays similar (probably better) to developers

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Vehementi posted:

Was surprised to see that solution architect = tech support comment. Where is that notion from? Every other instance until now of solution architect I've heard it's been people who piece together various technologies to make a bigger thing work (e.g. how will you deploy your poo poo on AWS) and pays similar (probably better) to developers
What you're describing sounds like devops.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Vehementi posted:

This is platform/infrastructure or performance engineering.

I guess my blanket statement (unsurprisingly) was incorrect! In my limited experience “solution” in the title means you are solving someone’s urgent problem, which is tech support or some higher tier of tech support. Maybe it’s regional.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Hoodwinker posted:

What you're describing sounds like devops.

Devops is the people on the team actually doing work, importantly not just throwing code over a wall to "ops" people but rather being responsible for end to end service ownership. Solution Engineering is someone who isn't a developer basically coming over and doing architecture work saying "Okay, here's how all this poo poo can fit together to solve your business problem". It is definitely different from performance engineering (making sure poo poo scales) and infrastructure engineering (only worrying about the ... infrastructure part). Solution engineering is the whole picture, more broad than just software architecture. https://www.quora.com/What-does-a-solution-engineer-do

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I have coming up what I think is a non standard negotiation situation coming up and I don't know how beat to handle it.

I'm currently an academic librarian in a union. I've been here 6 years, just this semester was promoted to rank L3 (L4 is the highest you can go and there hasn't been one here in like 20 years), given regular appointment (a sort of tenure for librarians), and awarded 4 units of merit. All of this will raise my salary on July 1 to roughly $78k.

Also happening this july is they want to move me into a managerial position. I agree that this needs to happen for my career goals and the growth of the department I lead. However, this means I have to leave the union and lose regular appointment.

I don't know how to accurately value this stuff. This move is technically a promotion, but I have been warned that central HR isnt going to want to give me much of an additional bump due to the raises I will just be getting already.

The only thing I know how to accurately quantify is my time. My librarian job is an exempt 35 hour a week position, while this new one will be 40. Bare minimum I figure I should get a bump for those 5 extra hours, which would bring me to $90k.

The other stuff, no idea. How much is losing collective bargaining worth? What about quasi-tenure? I will have no guaranteed promotion path and no merit process. How do I value this all?

I'm also worried they will low ball me and I have to either stick with my current job, which isnt ideal for my career or their plans, but I feel kind odlf stuck between a rock and a hard place there. I dont want to leave, and wouldn't do so immediately, but it would certainly open the door for that to be a possibility where this other move means, barring shenanigans or drastic changes down the road, I would be staying there for life. Thoughts?

Edit: if it helps, my current classification has a pay range of $44690 to $86920. This new job's range is $53400 to $102800. No matter what I am restricted by that range. Yay for public universities and working for non-profits+

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

What’d be the best way to handle an unsolicited recruiter for a job/company you’d love to work for but you really don’t want to relocate so chances of actually accepting are very low?

It’s just a recruiter so still probably would be a longshot but I’m curious. Very unlikely I’d relocate though. Do folks go through with it just to keep interview skills sharp?