Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Larryb posted:

As far as I’m aware, Rivals was released after 06 and basically served as Silver’s official reintroduction to the series (which itself is somewhat problematic as I don’t believe either Rivals game ever got a Japanese release).

Oh, dang, you're right. 06 came out...a mere 2 days earlier, drat but that's close. Nov 14 vs Nov 16.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Sega's mandates for Archie were pretty inconsistent. They were okay with Ian destroying and restoring Metal Sonic over and over and calling Shard a Metal Sonic, but then arbitrarily decided "there is only one Metal Sonic", forcing them to change things and start referring to Shard as a Mecha Sonic.

Then there's how Cream was off limits to appear outside of Sonic X for years, until they suddenly decided she could show up in the main comic after the comic ended and Sonic X started being rerun all the time.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kikas posted:

...but they are using Silver in the comics, why?

Silver is badass. Screw the naysayers

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

bef posted:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

bef posted:

You see, he's like Sonic, but egdy. I know it's a new concept for the franchise, bear with it!!!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Silver is a creampuff. He's the least edgy character in the franchise except for Cream and the Chao. The guy comes from a desolate future and he's childishly naive and optimistic regardless. I'd be scared of Amy before I was scared of him.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Any friend of Blaze is a friend of mine.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Silver's "edge" is just an extended panic attack because poo poo is going to be on fire if he fucks this up and he has no idea what he's doing but once someone sits him down and shuts him the gently caress up he turns out to be a gigantic nerd who breaks down crying at the sight of flowers and just really wants to be a gardener.

Silver is a certified Good Boy.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Silver is furry Trunks with Raiden's voice, and it's no use to deny that he is An Okay Character.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sonic 06 as a whole is just the Android Saga with the serial numbers filed off
Sonic = Goku
Shadow = Vegeta
Silver = Trunks
Iblis = Androids
Mephiles = Cell
Solaris = Perfect Cell
Elise’s dad = Dr Gero (but instead of being evil he’s just incompetent)

It even has the part where the silver-haired boy from the future, having helped save the past, goes back to the future with his newfound strength and defeats the villain in his own timeline

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I kinda dislike Silver because he feels like his entire existence was a result of someone going "hey we should build a gimmick around this whole physics engine thing" and him basically repeating the Knuckles thing of being tricked into thinking Sonic is the bad guy.

As silly as the whole "sonic friends" thing gets at least they tend to be somewhat creative with new designs, but throwing another hedgehog on the pile was kinda lame.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Silver is furry Trunks ...

and kinda like with DBZ saiyans, it feels like Sonic Team has kinda instituted a "hedgehogs are most special and important" with the 3d games that's always kinda irked me?

e: From various comic panel snips I've seen it seems like they've done an decent job characterizing him though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently in very early drafts of 06’s script Silver was actually originally supposed to be a mink (he also had a different name though I forget what it was) but then he got changed to just another hedgehog for some reason.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Two playable hedgehogs and a mink seems incredibly one sided so i would hazard a guess to that being why they changed it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It has always bugged me that only Hedgehogs can “canonically” go super. So in Mania they have to just make Tails and Knuckles glow white instead of a cool new sprite.

Chaos Emeralds are just magic rocks, so Hedgehogs being the only ones that can tap into their power is really loving weird when you write it out like that.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

It has always bugged me that only Hedgehogs can “canonically” go super. So in Mania they have to just make Tails and Knuckles glow white instead of a cool new sprite.

Chaos Emeralds are just magic rocks, so Hedgehogs being the only ones that can tap into their power is really loving weird when you write it out like that.

Well to be fair Tails and Knuckles just kinda glowing was more or less the case back in S3&K. But yeah like I said the whole "only hedgehogs can be important" thing is super lame. I get it if sonic needs to be the special hero who saves the day, and then Shadow sort of needed to be a parallel to him, but to carry it on past SA2? Lame. Let some other characters be cool. Sonic Heroes? Why not have the whole team power up? (At least I don't think they got to? Its been too long.)

Or if they're gonna stick with the hedgehogs only thing, lets at least have some Super Amy going Thor on some motherfuckers.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

In Heroes the other two get put in glowing orbs.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

There’s also Burning Blaze from the Rush games but otherwise yeah, that seems to be the case (they couldn’t even be bothered to give Tails and Knuckles proper Super forms in Heroes).

Also as mentioned if you’re just going to limit it to hedgehogs then it’s only fair to give Amy one at some point too.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Amy gets the Legendary Super Hedgehog transformation.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

If piccolo had ever gotten a super form then knuckles would have gotten one. If...krillin? had gotten a super form tails would've gotten one.

What I'm asking is: who's the golden frieza of Sonic the hedgehog?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zelder posted:

Make Super/Golden Eggman you cowards.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Metal Sonic? He's gone gold a couple times.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Metal Sonic is Buu.

Heroes Metal Sonic is Super Buu.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

Metal Sonic is Buu.

Heroes Metal Sonic is Super Buu.

I want the part where Big and Metal become friends and get a pet dog.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Nicole got a super form post-reboot, although that was strictly a virtual world thing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Iizuka said it was specifically male hedgehogs. So no Super Amy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And yet they gave Blaze a Super form for some reason, don’t really understand his logic there.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Sol Emeralds have different rules, I guess.

Maybe for them it's just female cats. So sadly no Burning Big, either.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ah, but those were DIFFERENT emeralds. :smugbert:

Just super form everyone, Jesus. Especially Big.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Big gets Awakened Ultra Instinct.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Big doesn’t need to go Super. He’s Super all the time.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Big does the fusion dance with Froggy.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I want you to know that I googled "big the cat froggy fusion" and got no results. You found it. You found the sonic fanart nobody has made yet.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

blaze the cat is so cool. put her in another mainline game as a leading character

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I personally want to see Big show up in a non-racing related Sonic game again (I believe otherwise his last appearance was in the DS version of Sonic Colors). He doesn’t even have to be playable for that matter.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 21, 2019

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

sharrrk posted:

blaze the cat is so cool. put her in another mainline game as a leading character

Their team-up super transformation in Rush was my favourite as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FveMpHN7Rfg

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Zelder posted:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Mecha Sonic in S&K was awesome and I thought he had a cooler design than Metal Sonic. I loved his cocky hands-in-hips charge-up stance on the Master Emerald.

I wish he'd get at least some of the love Metal Sonic did.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Forget Silver, why do so many of you seem to unironically like Shadow

I feel like I'm being gaslit here

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Cause he's cool, nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Forget Silver, why do so many of you seem to unironically like Shadow

I feel like I'm being gaslit here

He’s been lame for so long that he’s went around to being cool and good.