Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

You could have gotten me hyped up for a miniseries on Robert's Rebellion at one point but that point is past, probably because I know they'd try to make it multiple seasons when it should be one 10-episode season max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

weird Asian candy posted:

Terrifying in that he was like a ruthless tyrant or something?

The details I can remember offhand: everyone on his boat has their tongues removed to keep his secrets, he's constantly drinking this semi poisonous wine that turns his lips blue, he wears an eyepatch to cover his 'blood eye' which apparently has some sort of magical properties, he paints the deck of his boat red to hide the blood, he has a horn that kills anyone who blows on it but can supposedly control a dragon, he keeps a bunch of warlocks prisoner and forces them to do stuff for him... The only other thing I can remember is he teams up with this lord's bastard daughter and wipes out the entire family, she becomes his lover, he gets her pregnant, and the last we see of her is her bound naked and pregnant with her tongue cut out crying

He's like some ruthless sea boogeyman

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Roberts rebellion no doubt

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Couldn't the Iron Bank make a claim against Cersei's estate (Casterly Rock) to recoup some of their debt? Does Westerios have probate court?

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Couldn't the Iron Bank make a claim against Cersei's estate (Casterly Rock) to recoup some of their debt? Does Westerios have probate court?

That was probably one of the items further down Sam's list. I assume he thought democracy would get rousing support, then he would just move down the list suggesting improvements.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Casterly Rock is broke. Before his death Tywin mentions the gold mines had run dry a long time ago

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

C-Euro posted:

You could have gotten me hyped up for a miniseries on Robert's Rebellion at one point but that point is past, probably because I know they'd try to make it multiple seasons when it should be one 10-episode season max.

Honestly, an anthology show of sorts where each season is a different story from Westeros history would work pretty well. There’s probably 4-5 different stories that could be told over one 10 episode season each.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Intruder posted:

Casterly Rock is broke. Before his death Tywin mentions the gold mines had run dry a long time ago

They can put a lien on the castle and start an Airbnb.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 21, 2019

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1130965388609687555

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
There's something about this that's profoundly sad, even if it doesn't mean anything at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcGamPqUIxI

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Android Apocalypse posted:

I had to read up on the Iron Bank wiki (yes, I'm that lame) and there is no mention of them having a private army or assassins. What they would do is freeze lending assets to those that welch on their debts and give insanely low interest rates to one's enemies.

So, whoever is my mom's nemesis would be funded with a 0% APR to make my life hell. Luckily she was a nice lady to everybody so the debt was just wiped out.

Actually I was under the impression that the Iron Bank would either 1) wage economic war on westeros until the kingdom collapsed or 2) hire the Golden Company (those assholes that got burned to poo poo by the dragon so there goes that) or whatever. But probably the biggest leverage they would have is economic as well as the debtor being able to keep the spigot on. I.E. if you don't meet the payments you won't get the further loans you still desperately need. Especially during winter when you'd figure the hotter east would still have agriculture and such

Ahh so the show nailed him then...

:sigh:

So let me ask you this, what book character was the most different from the show character?

Good question. Someone mentioned Euron, which is correct although we only get like a single chapter with him in it in the books:

Intruder posted:

The details I can remember offhand: everyone on his boat has their tongues removed to keep his secrets, he's constantly drinking this semi poisonous wine that turns his lips blue, he wears an eyepatch to cover his 'blood eye' which apparently has some sort of magical properties, he paints the deck of his boat red to hide the blood, he has a horn that kills anyone who blows on it but can supposedly control a dragon, he keeps a bunch of warlocks prisoner and forces them to do stuff for him... The only other thing I can remember is he teams up with this lord's bastard daughter and wipes out the entire family, she becomes his lover, he gets her pregnant, and the last we see of her is her bound naked and pregnant with her tongue cut out crying

I would also bring up Margaery Tyrell. The show ran with that character quite a bit while in the books she didn't get any POV attention so the effect was quite different. Tyrion was actually smart in the books and also way more of a drunken rear end in a top hat. Mostly there were a bunch of characters in the books that you didn't see at all in the movie. But generally they followed characterization more closely than plot.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

my gordon ramsay binge on youtube has no end

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Ehud posted:

I have yet to watch this episode but I hear it is great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqntx3jKUZQ

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Play posted:

Actually I was under the impression that the Iron Bank would either 1) wage economic war on westeros until the kingdom collapsed or 2) hire the Golden Company (those assholes that got burned to poo poo by the dragon so there goes that) or whatever. But probably the biggest leverage they would have is economic as well as the debtor being able to keep the spigot on. I.E. if you don't meet the payments you won't get the further loans you still desperately need. Especially during winter when you'd figure the hotter east would still have agriculture and such
The economic leverage would likely be enough. I don't think the Iron Bank would directly hire the Golden Company, but they'd give you such a great interest rate you could easily afford them. Stannis Baratheon got a really good loan deal from the Iron Bank to hire a shitload of sellswords when Cersi gave them the middle finger & said "We'll pay the debt back when we feel like it." Then he tried taking Winterfell thinking Melissandre's magic would help him. It didn't go well for him.

EDIT:

Petite Dinklage posted:

I have yet to watch this episode but I hear it is great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqntx3jKUZQ
That episode is so good. Ramsay sees that the chef is talented, but his ambitions is too advanced for the locals.

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice
Anybody playing Dauntless? It's like a free to play monster hunter clone. I kind of like it from what little time I put into it. Seems a little more streamlined and less of a time commitment each session than monster hunter.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Play posted:

Good question. Someone mentioned Euron, which is correct although we only get like a single chapter with him in it in the books:

We get a loooot of brooding and thinking about him from the brother who never made the show though. Like all he thinks about is Euron.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Ehud posted:

Amazon has American Kitchen Nightmares and Hells Kitchen without all the bleeps if you want more of this

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I never got into American Kitchen Nightmares or Hells Kitchen because of Ramsay's "American" personality. I love Masterchef Junior to see how supportive he is to kids. :unsmith:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Intruder posted:

Probably Euron

In the book he's utterly terrifying

Whereas in the show he looks like that one schlubby college dormmate who's always around and yet all you know about him is that he once drunkenly pissed all over some girls' room (on "accident") and that he's from somewhere in North Virginia.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

swickles posted:

I just realized the previous Three Eyed Raven was like a thousand years old, so Bran is King for like the rest of time.

He's actually about 150 years old. He was Brynden Rivers, a Targ bastard, who was Hand of the King. He was extremely ruthless, and a pretty badass warrior who killed his brother in one of the Blackfyre rebellions which he brutally put down, and was rewarded for it by being sent to the Wall. He became Lord Commander, went out on a ranging and was never seen or heard of again until Bran.

Was the book version of Bran at least cool? Did he use his power at all?

Show Bran was such a disappointment.

Book Bran is much creepier. He's constantly warging into Hodor to perv on Meera Reed, who doesn't view Hodor as a threat, so Bran warged into Hodor is always trying to see her naked and other creepy poo poo

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Bran warged into Tom Brady to make out with his son

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Intruder posted:

He also can magically control fog and teleport everywhere which is where the show runners got the idea to just have tv euron be wherever he needed to be.

Also what's going on with lannisport?

if D+D had any writing sense at all they would have sent tyrion to take over it, since he's the last surviving lannister and he requested it in season 3. make davos be hand, or i dunno.......podrick who gives a poo poo what a terrible ending

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah "who will be the kings hand" was not a burning question in everyone's minds, but we did want to find out how Tyrion ends up, and Bran the Broken just sort of passively :geno: accepting kingship, the secession of the Starks despite him being on the throne, and then suddenly he has his second actual idea of the entire season (first was being bait for the night king): tyrion will have to fix everything to make up for all his terrible decisions by being hand, which really doesn't feel like either justice, or tyrion winning, or losing particularly, it just kinda sits there.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

SundayMoney posted:

I believe fifth dimensional chess. He has been around long enough to know that the only way to properly kill someone is in the head and didn't shoot once there especially as close range as it was. I assume it was done as Winston knows the only true way to win is for John to tear the entire establishment down but will need his help to do it

Not only that but the ultra ambiguous “well played” leaves enough room for the fourth twist

Great movie though. Keanu’s action versus Halle Berry is so night and day - you can tell he actually knows the moves

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Wound up with the stomach flu this morning, and not that I don’t enjoy my impersonation if Old Faithful as an excuse to love in bed all day per se, but it not only means both missing work and failing to progress on the painting the bedroom project, it also entails convincing an 18 month old ball of lightning that I’m in no condition to play. Just staring at this

for 7 hours straight

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Bird in a Blender posted:

Honestly, an anthology show of sorts where each season is a different story from Westeros history would work pretty well. There’s probably 4-5 different stories that could be told over one 10 episode season each.

I'd be down with this too except each of those stories is going to be stretched to gently caress and back over 3+ seasons and they'll all air simultaneously and ughhhh

I wish more TV shows gave themselves a hard season/episode cap from the outset but you gotta squeeze as many TV bucks as you can out of every show :capitalism:

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2ZvU9k8U7s
:thunk:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 22, 2019

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy

Amy Pole Her posted:

Not only that but the ultra ambiguous “well played” leaves enough room for the fourth twist

Great movie though. Keanu’s action versus Halle Berry is so night and day - you can tell he actually knows the moves

I think that's why it was smart to have the dogs with her as I know I was focused on them anytime they showed up.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Keanu's been doing this role for a lot longer, but Halle Berry's skill is still pretty good.

That said, you can see how next level Rahman & Ruhian (and even Mark Decascos to an extent) are over Keanu.

Seeing Decascos kicking rear end instead of being chairman on Iron Chef America was equal parts cool and weird.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Everyone’s learned the best action movies are like Raid style action, which was very reminiscent of Wick 3, but Keanu just sells the role so well

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

its the small poo poo, like learning how to quickly reload guns

such a bizarre thing for a guy like him to want to get good at

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Keanu's been doing this role for a lot longer, but Halle Berry's skill is still pretty good.

That said, you can see how next level Rahman & Ruhian (and even Mark Decascos to an extent) are over Keanu.

Seeing Decascos kicking rear end instead of being chairman on Iron Chef America was equal parts cool and weird.

Never forget Only The Strong.

https://youtu.be/tJRLI_O9Reo

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Broke: Hey, its the chairman from Iron Chef America
Woke: Hey, its Jimmy Lee from Double Dragon

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

You say small poo poo, but that's one of the most noticeable things about his portrayal. He calmer, more practiced and efficient than guys who have seen multiple tours. It's really striking, to me at least

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

waah posted:

Never forget Only The Strong.

https://youtu.be/tJRLI_O9Reo

I never knew this movie existed but I am now a thousand times down with Capoeira Stand and Deliver

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

You say small poo poo, but that's one of the most noticeable things about his portrayal. He calmer, more practiced and efficient than guys who have seen multiple tours. It's really striking, to me at least

One of the other dope things is that he straight up does some legit Sambo and BJJ in the fights.

Its the only fight I ever saw that had a Kimura lock in it

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

i wonder if they had any idea how successful that movie would be, or if keanu just needed to keep his SAG card live and wanted to do a fun action movie.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

i wonder if they had any idea how successful that movie would be, or if keanu just needed to keep his SAG card live and wanted to do a fun action movie.

Apparently the guy who did Keanu's stunts really wanted to direct and the whole thing was a way to get his foot in the door

Its why the first film had two directors because the studio didn't trust the guy to direct the whole film himself

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

One of the other dope things is that he straight up does some legit Sambo and BJJ in the fights.

Its the only fight I ever saw that had a Kimura lock in it

Yep, I always thought it was pretty cool that he took up martial arts for the Matrix, but the Wick movies make it crystal clear that he still practices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/tH0TSPACE/status/1130594855204327424