Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bogarts posted:

Has anyone ever built a good fencing sword build? I got the assassin event and I recruited him and somehow lucked into a guy with 2 stars in int and 3 in melee attack and melee defense but I don't really know what perks to take.

I built one in the last game I played before the new DLC because I found an unreal unique fencing sword. He was built as a nimble/dodge duelist and that build would only be better now that you can take that perk to halve fatigue penalties. I don't remember every perk I gave him but he turned out useful in a niche sort of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Militia is not very well balanced for a 1-skull start. Due to how the game scales enemy groups after how big your party is, you'll get early game missions and enemy groups that are way above what you can reasonably defeat early on since you start out so poorly equipped.
It seems dismissing half your party as you start out is actually the best tactic, which goes a bit against the theme of the scenario.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Yeah, true, but frankly you have to dismiss half of them for being garbage anyway so I never mind it much. Some of them start at like 25 resolve, they rout in heavy wind.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Militia is not very well balanced for a 1-skull start. Due to how the game scales enemy groups after how big your party is, you'll get early game missions and enemy groups that are way above what you can reasonably defeat early on since you start out so poorly equipped.
It seems dismissing half your party as you start out is actually the best tactic, which goes a bit against the theme of the scenario.

Militia start is brutal and doesn't get easier at all as the hiring pool is so incredibly restrictive that it also cuts out a lot of the events.

It really needs more to make it viable as an easy start. Currently it's more of a newbie trap who think that a few more peasants will help against much better equipped bandits - when really the extra peasants are just more mouths to feed with poor stats.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

FileNotFound posted:

Militia start is brutal and doesn't get easier at all as the hiring pool is so incredibly restrictive that it also cuts out a lot of the events.

It really needs more to make it viable as an easy start. Currently it's more of a newbie trap who think that a few more peasants will help against much better equipped bandits - when really the extra peasants are just more mouths to feed with poor stats.

This is also true. I found Lone Wolf ultimately easier once you find 2 or so decent helpers, mostly because the Lone Wolf has no upkeep and can handle a raider or 2 easy. It’s much easier to grab some early mail for those dudes and snowball so long as you don’t get hosed with one of those first handful of encounters. Militia never really gets easier till you have like all 16 guys doing their thing, and even that is debatable because you’re gonna run into groups of like 11 chosen eventually.

EDIT: FWIW for everyone struggling with lone wolf, grab a good recruit with like 50+ MAtk, give him a spear, shield and padded leather if you can afford it. That’s like 500-750g depending on luck, and hit dude will hold his own okay, buying your big guy a lot of breathing room. Do that a couple more times and it’ll snowball quick.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 21, 2019

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Mazz posted:

This is also true. I found Lone Wolf ultimately easier once you find 2 or so decent helpers, mostly because the Lone Wolf has no upkeep and can handle a raider or 2 easy. It’s much easier to grab some early mail for those dudes and snowball so long as you don’t get hosed with one of those first handful of encounters. Militia never really gets easier till you have like all 16 guys doing their thing, and even that is debatable because you’re gonna run into groups of like 11 chosen eventually.

Only way I got milita working was by having 5 archers. That worked really well early and mid game just because arrow spam is really strong. Even with a 30% chance to hit, 10 shots will kill a dude and your archers can be basically naked + 1 bow.

Thing is, a single necrosavant will kill them all, as will large enough packs of goblins or wolves.

I gave up on my militia playthrough as basically I never really felt strong. Whole game felt like babysitting a group of weak characters, nobody really managed to develop into a rockstar and I never felt invested in my bros.

I love LW start though, you start with a strong dude, strong dude is 'you', he's the bro that carries the rest of the team. Only downside with LW was that the nobles war was a huge pita with the frequency of fights meaning that I had to keep fielding injured and half dead bros over and over - at the same time just having to worry about equipping 12 and having a static fighting force made it easier for me to have a defined process for dealing with pretty much every encounter. I never had to rethink my strategy because I had to switch up who was in reserve.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

FileNotFound posted:

Only way I got milita working was by having 5 archers. That worked really well early and mid game just because arrow spam is really strong. Even with a 30% chance to hit, 10 shots will kill a dude and your archers can be basically naked + 1 bow.

Thing is, a single necrosavant will kill them all, as will large enough packs of goblins or wolves.

I gave up on my militia playthrough as basically I never really felt strong. Whole game felt like babysitting a group of weak characters, nobody really managed to develop into a rockstar and I never felt invested in my bros.

I love LW start though, you start with a strong dude, strong dude is 'you', he's the bro that carries the rest of the team. Only downside with LW was that the nobles war was a huge pita with the frequency of fights meaning that I had to keep fielding injured and half dead bros over and over - at the same time just having to worry about equipping 12 and having a static fighting force made it easier for me to have a defined process for dealing with pretty much every encounter. I never had to rethink my strategy because I had to switch up who was in reserve.

Wholeheartedly agree. I’m systemically replacing my weaker dudes with knights/sellswords/hunters but having that set core means you have to build to quality and there’s no juggling gear/plans/etc. I greatly prefer that in the end.

EDIT: One thing I’ve decided though is that if guys make it to 12+ I’m giving them another perk in BBEdit. The XP curve is exponential so like 12-13 is the same as 1-9 or something, and frankly if a guy can get to 13 he deserves it. My Lone Wolf guy has something like 250 kills to his name and is about to just hit 13. I’m cool with the stats essentially ending at 11 though.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 21, 2019

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Mazz posted:

Wholeheartedly agree. I’m systemically replacing my weaker dudes with knights/sellswords/hunters but having that set core means you have to build to quality and there’s no juggling gear/plans/etc. I greatly prefer that in the end.

EDIT: One thing I’ve decided though is that if guys make it to 12+ I’m giving them another perk in BBEdit. The XP curve is exponential so like 12-13 is the same as 1-9 or something, and frankly if a guy can get to 13 he deserves it. My Lone Wolf guy has something like 250 kills to his name and is about to just hit 13. I’m cool with the stats essentially ending at 11 though.

If you're so inclined, it's possible to edit the game configs to keep giving perks past 11 or to give them every few levels.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

FileNotFound posted:

If you're so inclined, it's possible to edit the game configs to keep giving perks past 11 or to give them every few levels.

I considered that but I’m using the show stars on tryout mod and figured it’s just easier to do it in BBEdit for now since I think it’s the same script. I don’t expect to have more than 3-5 guys who ever see anything past 11 anyway.

Also that mod is incredible and everyone should get it. It’s a little OP early on but knowing a 8000g Knight has no good categories is very nice. That mediocre knight could easily end up worse than a good peasant who costs you 5% of the upfront and upkeep. The stats are still hidden too which keeps the crapshoot alive in some form.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 21, 2019

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Trying out the 'just wander around being a Questing Knight wading through a pile of bodies' version of the Lone Wolf start, the first couple fights suck and are total crapshoots.

Then you have Killing Frenzy and Berserk and a 90+ MAttack.

Then it becomes laughing as six men die every turn.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

I love the whip

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I like to hire a monk and a beggar, a combined 190g, at the start of my lone wolf campaigns.

sometimes the monk comes with a stick and the beggar usually has a shirt, which is more than enough gear to see you through the first several missions.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Holy gently caress that guy in the Ice Cave does not gently caress around.

My Lone Wolf came out of it with 1 HP.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Night10194 posted:

Holy gently caress that guy in the Ice Cave does not gently caress around.

My Lone Wolf came out of it with 1 HP.

The secret to that fight is a two-handed mace, which has a guaranteed daze that halves the enemy's damage.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

So with the barbarian start, should I be pillaging or should I run contracts down south until the other houses calm down?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

The Skeleton King posted:

So with the barbarian start, should I be pillaging or should I run contracts down south until the other houses calm down?

Pillaging is hella money but you need to have access to sources of tools and new recruits so you kind of need to go south anyway.

The "middle" house should become non-hostile after like 2 weeks if you don't attack them so maybe best to avoid pillaging until that happens.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

if all the good cities and citadels are in the south, then pillage the north.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?
The noble house in the middle of the map is no longer hostile by like week 2 in a Raider start, but crucially the individual settlements are still hostile by that point! You only get access to the cities under that houses direct control, the smaller towns are still off limits. It's still probably best not to antagonize that faction at all so you can use those cities as pit-stops while you explore and pillage in the north. Just be ready for the occasional militia/mercenary group from the still-hostile villages if you're in the area.

And yeah, raiding full-time doesn't really work great. You still need places to sell your loot and recruit, and in the process of wrecking caravans and such you piss off everyone that might help you do that nearby. It can be nice supplemental income in spots, though you kinda need to treat it like exploring the wilderness (stock up and get your poo poo in order before you leave, plan not to return to civilization for a few days to a week, etc)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
With raiders I try to hit a couple caravans as I love south then I go legit till the Noble crisis resets me.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Man, I never really used the Fencing Sword before. I have no idea if it's actually any good (I strongly suspect the surprisingly excellent Swordsmaster I have using it could be doing something more productive) but it's hella fun to see him hopping around stabbing guys.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
I've been playing around the new DLC stuff for a week or two, can't seem to find any whips and haven't seen any enemies packing them. Where is a good place to find them? Are you guys picking them up in the field, and if so, what kind of enemies have them? Or if you're buying them, are they available from a town's main market or do you have to look in the weaponsmith shop?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

rideANDxORdie posted:

I've been playing around the new DLC stuff for a week or two, can't seem to find any whips and haven't seen any enemies packing them. Where is a good place to find them? Are you guys picking them up in the field, and if so, what kind of enemies have them? Or if you're buying them, are they available from a town's main market or do you have to look in the weaponsmith shop?

Whips are weaponsmith only (excluding famed ones and the cultist start whip), so you'll have to check in a fort or village that has one. Fortunately they're pretty cheap, usually around 700-1000.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 21, 2019

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I wonder if Apprentices can gain bonuses from multiple high tier brothers? I know they can learn from Sellswords and Swordsmasters, and I have a really, really good Apprentice, so if I can get him both or more that would be great.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Barbarian beast tamers have whips

Night10194 posted:

I wonder if Apprentices can gain bonuses from multiple high tier brothers? I know they can learn from Sellswords and Swordsmasters, and I have a really, really good Apprentice, so if I can get him both or more that would be great.

I believe that they can get each learning event once but I'm not 100% on that.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

RabidWeasel posted:

Pillaging is hella money but you need to have access to sources of tools and new recruits so you kind of need to go south anyway.

The "middle" house should become non-hostile after like 2 weeks if you don't attack them so maybe best to avoid pillaging until that happens.

How does one actually pillage? Is there a way to attack hostile villages/settlements?

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

With raiders I try to hit a couple caravans as I love south then I go legit till the Noble crisis resets me.

You can also get good upgrades by killing the hostile merc companies if you don't want to go legit. They tend to have alot of good armor if you can handle them.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Bogarts posted:

You can also get good upgrades by killing the hostile merc companies if you don't want to go legit. They tend to have alot of good armor if you can handle them.

That's a pretty powerful conditional statement there.

Osci
Oct 11, 2016
The thread wasn't kidding about the early game militia start. Trying to get a run of the ground and had a day 7 contract with armored zombies+a fallen hero, and then a day 12 camp contract with a leader.
The early gear is great, but those fights are really rough.

I think I've seen a total of one mission which just had normal thugs.

Osci fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 22, 2019

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

JosefStalinator posted:

How does one actually pillage? Is there a way to attack hostile villages/settlements?

I think he just means attacking roaming caravans and maybe peasants.

I'd like to see them change the Barbarian Origin advantage a bit to actually incentivize being barbaric. Maybe something like bonus loot from caravans, or extra income when their reputation sucks.

Right now it's pretty much sprint to safe territory for the first 2 days, then play a normal game where you're better at picking up armor.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

It seems like the biggest draw for the barbarian start is getting 3 crazy good starting bros.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Avasculous posted:

I think he just means attacking roaming caravans and maybe peasants.

I'd like to see them change the Barbarian Origin advantage a bit to actually incentivize being barbaric. Maybe something like bonus loot from caravans, or extra income when their reputation sucks.

Right now it's pretty much sprint to safe territory for the first 2 days, then play a normal game where you're better at picking up armor.

That loot bonus also works on caravans!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I've been recommending this game to a friend and just so I don't accidentally mislead him does anyone know exactly which features are DLC compared to non DLC? Like, does the base game have backgrounds now and only the raider and beast slayer ones are actually DLC locked?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

RabidWeasel posted:

I've been recommending this game to a friend and just so I don't accidentally mislead him does anyone know exactly which features are DLC compared to non DLC? Like, does the base game have backgrounds now and only the raider and beast slayer ones are actually DLC locked?

There are two backgrounds in the base game: the Hoggart start and a 3 average mercs start without the Hoggart hook. Beast slayers are added by the Beasts & Exploration and all the other backgrounds are tied to the new DLC.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Shoutout to my current poacher game where I now have 5 great archers, and not a single good frontliner.

I've only found 1 recruit with 2 or more stars in MA in 30 days, and he died in the first battle.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 22, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I can’t do the hunting grounds event, get an infinite loading screen :(

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
quick question I should know the answer for but don't:

exactly what actions give bros experience? Is it just killing blows or is it anything else?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

exactly what actions give bros experience? Is it just killing blows or is it anything else?

Doing any damage at all seems to give experience.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Each kill grants a certain amount of experience to the murderer, then additional experience is given to everyone who hit the person. Hurting but not killing someone doesn’t give xp, I think. That’s my understanding, but it could be wrong.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

John Charity Spring posted:

There are two backgrounds in the base game: the Hoggart start and a 3 average mercs start without the Hoggart hook. Beast slayers are added by the Beasts & Exploration and all the other backgrounds are tied to the new DLC.

This is great, thanks. For some reason I thought you got most of the backgrounds as a free upgrade without the DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Goddamnit. I finally had a swordsmaster who wasn't made of paper and now he's gotten old on me.