Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I have a B450M Pro4 and I really cant complain. I got it because of the 2 m2 slots in micro factor being not the easiest to come by, but i am very satisfied with the board regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Why am I not able to dynamically overclock my 1700? Am I just being a dummy or do I need the 1700X for easier overclocking?

It's my first venture into Ryzen territory.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

apropos man posted:

Why am I not able to dynamically overclock my 1700? Am I just being a dummy or do I need the 1700X for easier overclocking?

It's my first venture into Ryzen territory.

Check your Windows power settings. The "high performance" one sets your CPU to be on max at all times.

Intel CPUs do this too so sorry if you know this already but it's something easy to check if not.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

apropos man posted:

No complaints apart from that but you're probably best off with a Tomahawk.

B450 Pro carbon has better built-in audio and two m.2 slots, one of which doesn't rob any of the SATA ports. Tomahawk's one slot does. If the Carbon is a reasonably priced step up, get that.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Humerus posted:

Check your Windows power settings. The "high performance" one sets your CPU to be on max at all times.

Intel CPUs do this too so sorry if you know this already but it's something easy to check if not.

This will result in higher idle temps and will give your CPU less thermal overhead to hit turbo clocks when it needs them.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

B450 Pro carbon has better built-in audio and two m.2 slots, one of which doesn't rob any of the SATA ports. Tomahawk's one slot does. If the Carbon is a reasonably priced step up, get that.

The Pro Carbon is my go-to recommendation if you want two m.2 slots. Besides the better audio, it's also small VRM upgrade over the Tomahawk, has built-in wifi/bluetooth, and you get Intel LAN instead of Realtek. It's usually $25-30 more expensive than the Tomahawk, though, so if you don't really need the extra features it's not worth it.

The Asus Prime X470-Pro is also a decent choice if when it's around the same price as the Pro Carbon (right now they're both $140). It has most of the same features as the Pro Carbon, but loses the Wifi and gains a USB 3.1 Gen 2 front panel header, 2 additional 3.1 Gen 1 ports of the back, and is another step up in onboard audio.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
There is definitely a pc part picking thread that is happy to go back and forth on future proofing your next 100 dollar motherboard, thank you.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

LRADIKAL posted:

There is definitely a pc part picking thread that is happy to go back and forth on future proofing your next 100 dollar motherboard, thank you.

♫ And now we return to our regularly scheduled speculation over Ryzen 3000 at Computex 2019, already in progress ♫

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Statutory Ape posted:

Oooh, 2070 performance at the price of a...nice 2070 from evga and massive warranty

Why would I want that vs nvidia offerings?

As (a? the?) resident "how much science can it crunch" nerd, I want to be excited for Navi, because AMD GPUs tend to beat Nvidia pretty good in the raw compute department. But...

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I'll be surprised if it needs less then 250W

Yeah, me too.

I have a stack of 4 machines running 24/7, using the air in my living room as a heat exchange medium. I stick to the 75W and under cards. I'd love a Navi variant to be released that competes directly with the GTX 1650, but I'll believe that when I read reviews and benchmarks.

Conartist
Aug 15, 2004

apropos man posted:

Tomahawk seems to be default answer for a decent board that should be compatible and is already a good board.

I recently went with an ASRock B450 Pro and a 1700 and I'm thinking I should've went Tomahawk.

The ASRock is a nice board, with 2x NVMe slots but I can't figure out how to overclock my 1700 and have it dynamically adjust. Last time I clocked it to 4GHz it just stayed at 4GHz. Permanently.

I'm probably doing something wrong but I wish the ASRock BIOS was more user friendly.

No complaints apart from that but you're probably best off with a Tomahawk.

To get dynamic overclocking one method is to adjust the P-states in the bios. It's buried in the advanced tab under the Zen Common Options page.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Conartist posted:

To get dynamic overclocking one method is to adjust the P-states in the bios. It's buried in the advanced tab under the Zen Common Options page.

Speaking of dynamic overlcoking... is the max you can do to let an X processor overclock by itself to enable precision boost overdrive and set PPT, TDC and EDC to max?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

Conartist posted:

Cool. I'll have a mangle of my P states this evening! Thanks.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

LRADIKAL posted:

I never go there because I don't know what I'm talking about for the vast majority of hardware. I posted about the MSI B450 boards because they're in that tiny, tiny sliver of hardware I actually shopped for and use.

But we can go back to hot takes about Adored BS leaks if you like.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
If I want to read a boring back and forth about hyper specific parts picking (and sometimes I do), then I'll go to the other thread. Nerds in the parts picking thread are tripping over each other to give the best advice!
There's tons of interesting stuff that can be talked about in this thread, industry, technical stuff, or physics. It's come up in this thread before. Come up with something that isn't better off in another thread.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

LRADIKAL posted:

If I want to read a boring back and forth about hyper specific parts picking (and sometimes I do), then I'll go to the other thread. Nerds in the parts picking thread are tripping over each other to give the best advice!
There's tons of interesting stuff that can be talked about in this thread, industry, technical stuff, or physics. It's come up in this thread before. Come up with something that isn't better off in another thread.

Heaven forbid people discuss AMD boards in the AMD thread. How about you start a discussion about a topic you want or just ignore the posts you don’t care for. Or keep complaining about what you don’t find interesting, it most definitely doesn’t make you sound like a tool.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 22, 2019

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

LRADIKAL posted:

Have you considered not going around to multiple threads in this forum and intentionally making GBS threads them up when people discuss ancillary topics that you don't want to read?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

LRADIKAL posted:

Come up with something that isn't better off in another thread.

Good thing the forum is here for your personal satisfaction and enjoyment.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hmmm... a thread full of people with AMD on-hands experience. Surely they will be able to help me figure out, a person who has no experience with AMD prior (not a hyperbole either) what motherboard to get!

Wait, I'm not allowed to ask AMD related questions in the AMD thread?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
This is an Intel thread now. Intel does what AMDon't (cost twice as much and burn hotter than the surface of the sun).

Edit: also it's thread, singular, because we had to disable hyperthreading.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 22, 2019

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

simultaneous multi thread making GBS threads

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Dramicus posted:

Edit: also it's thread, singular, because we had to disable hyperthreading.

:golfclap:

Bloody Antlers
Mar 27, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A little off topic, but does anyone remember the Intel product - I think it was the Pentium II - that was going to ship with a 'security feature' that involved something like a single globally unique ID string baked into each processor, which was to be exposed to apps and *websites* for the purpose of assisting in 'verifying the identity' of the user? I remember specifically that they suggested it would help your bank know it's really you when logging in to your bank account online.

The way I remember it, Intel fought to keep it, suggesting it could be turned off at the bios or some such, but they actually got beat down hard enough by the backlash that they dropped it before product launch altogether.

I knew it was a terrible idea at the time, I mean, we all did.. but in hindsight, fuuuuuck, that would have been such a terrible genie to let out of the bottle on so many levels. I'm sure some Intel business unit had a motivating supplier of wheel grease (DRM lobby being the least scary scenario that I can think of) to push for it, but I can't imagine the engineers and ... everyone else, not objecting to it before it got as close to being a reality as it did.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Statutory Ape posted:

simultaneous multi thread making GBS threads

*slaps ryzen processor* this baby can poo poo on 64 threads at once.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Bloody Antlers posted:

A little off topic, but does anyone remember the Intel product - I think it was the Pentium II - that was going to ship with a 'security feature' that involved something like a single globally unique ID string baked into each processor, which was to be exposed to apps and *websites* for the purpose of assisting in 'verifying the identity' of the user? I remember specifically that they suggested it would help your bank know it's really you when logging in to your bank account online.

The way I remember it, Intel fought to keep it, suggesting it could be turned off at the bios or some such, but they actually got beat down hard enough by the backlash that they dropped it before product launch altogether.

I knew it was a terrible idea at the time, I mean, we all did.. but in hindsight, fuuuuuck, that would have been such a terrible genie to let out of the bottle on so many levels. I'm sure some Intel business unit had a motivating supplier of wheel grease (DRM lobby being the least scary scenario that I can think of) to push for it, but I can't imagine the engineers and ... everyone else, not objecting to it before it got as close to being a reality as it did.

This?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPUID#EAX=3:_Processor_Serial_Number

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I think he’s talking about PSN, which was in the Pentium 3 and then pulled after people got mad.

Pretty sure the serial came back in modern CPUs and nobody noticed this time.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

if you're worried about software being able to read a globally unique hardware ID i've got some bad news about network adapters

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

repiv posted:

if you're worried about software being able to read a globally unique hardware ID i've got some bad news about network adapters

They are somewhat easier to spoof than a CPU.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Cygni posted:

I think he’s talking about PSN, which was in the Pentium 3 and then pulled after people got mad.

It was why boards shipped with the option to turn CPUID off. I remember it because I switched to Intel in the midst of that stuff. As one of those "hail corporate" types who thought internet privacy was stupid tinfoil poo poo before we started storing so much data online, I was eager to get my forehead barcode.

eames
May 9, 2009

meanwhile in 2019: https://sensorid.cl.cam.ac.uk

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hello

Thanks all for the help! I greatly appreciate it :getin:

e: I just realized I forgot to hook my front audio jacks up again, whoops.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

You gotta tidy those cables! Someone get the Velcro straps!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

KKKLIP ART posted:

Someone call computer protective services

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

KKKLIP ART posted:

As long as it's not a glass case it's not like it impedes airflow to any appreciable degree.

That dust on the other hand...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

jisforjosh posted:

As long as it's not a glass case it's not like it impedes airflow to any appreciable degree.

It's a sign of age :shobon: I did spray out most of it though earlier today, guess I missed some stuff laying on the PSU and capture card.

But yeah, I don't have a window case so cable management isn't really important.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

jisforjosh posted:

True. I remember trying to navigate fat rounded ata cables and it being a nightmare. I still like to have everything nice and tidy and tucked out of the way, which is yet another reason I’m stoked about m2 drives for whenever I can build next.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I want to go back to the days of beige full towers and extremely loud Delta fans.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My PC can shitpost 48 threads at once, and boy howdy do I push this processor to its limits!

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

KKKLIP ART posted:

True. I remember trying to navigate fat rounded ata cables and it being a nightmare. I still like to have everything nice and tidy and tucked out of the way, which is yet another reason I’m stoked about m2 drives for whenever I can build next.

God the flash backs to IDE cables and nonmodular top mounted PSUs with the multi colored cables takes me back.

Tempered glass has made me OCD about my own cable management since I see it daily.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Serious talk: why would anybody have a glass panel on their case?
My case sits on the floor, and I sure as gently caress don't care what's in it, so long as it's incredibly powerful and can allow me to compile things really really fast. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Lambert posted:

I want to go back to the days of beige full towers and extremely loud Delta fans.
This case goes on sale frequently. It has the beige full tower aesthetic.

ratbert90 posted:

Serious talk: why would anybody have a glass panel on their case?
My case sits on the floor, and I sure as gently caress don't care what's in it, so long as it's incredibly powerful and can allow me to compile things really really fast. :shrug:
If your clear-windowed computer, keyboard, mouse, mousepad, and desk don't have rainbow RGB you clearly weren't born post-y2k and aren't buying into the latest computer fashion trends.