Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

Yeah at least with the coaches film room thing they do on the CFB championship megacast, it's showing the room and they're not staring back at the viewer. This is just weird.

ALSO BOB PART 2

IT'S AN HOUR LONG, STRAP IN

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1130866481753993217?s=19

I cannot believe how emotionally moved I was by 90 minutes about guys named Bob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

MourningView posted:

Like if you want to have alternate commentary go for it but why the hell do you need their creepy disembodied heads constantly cutting off like a fourth of the screen? No one needs that much of Brian Windhorst's fat face

Someone at ESPN is really into Twitch.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Windhorst or Mark Jackson. Tough call.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Jon Bois is very good at his job.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's really cool he found a place where he can just do crazy Jon Bois poo poo.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MourningView posted:

One of the good things to come out of "Pivot to video"

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
The Bob Probert section was drat perfect.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Jon Bois is very good at his job.

Probably one of the best story tellers, hand down, in our life time.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

euphronius posted:

Incredible. SAS patron god of SAS
I'm totally with whoever it was on Twitter who said he'd easily pay the monthly price of ESPN+ for a channel in which all of the ESPN talking heads were deep-faked with babies.

MourningView posted:

Like if you want to have alternate commentary go for it but why the hell do you need their creepy disembodied heads constantly cutting off like a fourth of the screen? No one needs that much of Brian Windhorst's fat face
Brian Windhorst looks like what you'd get if a Mexican cartel member sewed a normal-sized murder victim's face onto a melon.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 22, 2019

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

lmao jesus

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MourningView posted:

Once I learned that Jon Bois was one of the minds behind The Dugout, it all made so much more sense.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

yea ok posted:

lmao jesus
Brian Windhort is also an answer to the question, "Can you, as a sportswriter, make a 15-year-career feasible by doing nothing but planting yourself straight up one guy's rear end?"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Brian Windhorst looks like what you'd get if a Mexican cartel member sewed a normal-sized murder victim's face onto a melon.

lmao goddamn dude

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

harperdc posted:

Once I learned that Jon Bois was one of the minds behind The Dugout, it all made so much more sense.

Specifically he was responsible for all the weird Pecota as a divine figure stuff and the insane way that the original run of it ended.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ourand_sbj/status/1131228730725212160?s=21

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Just what everyone needs: 17 weeks of Joe Buck

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Just what everyone needs: 17 weeks of Joe Buck
please don't kinkshame

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

iospace posted:

Probably one of the best story tellers, hand down, in our life time.

For me one of the most impressive aspects of his videos is the sincerity. Not like, in a maudlin way, dude just loves sports and the stories it develops in the best, unsnarkiest way possible. He doesn't depend on irony (well, unless you read his twitter), or being overly critical or being a MMQB, in fact, he often is quite sympathetic to people who don't make it in sports.

We need more folks like Jon in the media.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

harperdc posted:

I loved the dugout years ago. where'd you learn that? any articles about it?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I still wish there was a way of "somewhat" giving the experience that one gets on Saturdays with CFB to Sundays with the NFL.

Instead of "ZOMG 9 GAMES AT ONCE...oh..it's 4:15...time for Cowboys-Seahawks or Cardinals-Raiders"

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

FuzzySkinner posted:

I still wish there was a way of "somewhat" giving the experience that one gets on Saturdays with CFB to Sundays with the NFL.

Instead of "ZOMG 9 GAMES AT ONCE...oh..it's 4:15...time for Cowboys-Seahawks or Cardinals-Raiders"

Nobody wants to be the team playing on the Smithsonian Channel, which would be the 5th most important non-premium network CBS owns or co-owns.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Probably for the best that all the Dugout stuff disappeared into the myst of the internet because jokes like "lol what if Jeter and ARod were gay" or "Sammy Sosa talks funny" (which may not have been on Jon specifically, there were three or four guys writing it and the only thing I remember him doing for sure was all the weird Royals stuff) definitely would not hold up well in 2019.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the most embarassing thing was that they liked Jonathan Papelbon

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

https://twitter.com/grantgoldberg/status/1131227680899100674?s=21

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

I loved the dugout years ago. where'd you learn that? any articles about it?

jon bois founded progressive boink along with his other teenage friends as related here

i’m sure plenty of things i said to be funny as a teenager i’d cringe at now so i don’t begrudge anyone involved with the dugout not wanting to preserve it in perpetuity (although it’ll be forever preserved in my mind whenever i think about jim thome)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
We regret to inform you that Jon Bois is racist.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
God, Bomani and Pablo are so good

https://twitter.com/bomani_jones/status/1131681208851664896

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Oh my god we got Hater Galaga live and on TV. Bomani is on one here on this clip.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
They really shouldn't have to explain this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uEgiswlryc

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

this segment was fuckin incredible. they really are the future face of espn along with mina kimes, sarah spain, and katie nolan aren't they

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://twitter.com/Ryan_Cortes/status/1131671997069570058

hahahaha

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Both of these are fantastic.

E: "If I had glasses that thick I woudln't be able to see the truth either!" fuckin :laffo: that is a world class burn

DJExile fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 24, 2019

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Tulsa is filled with the dumbest people imaginable

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

this stands in stark contrast to that same day's episode of PTI, which I had to turn off because Tony and Wilbon were giving off the absolute worst Old Man Takes imaginable about a school getting kicked out of a D3 conference because they had like, twice as much money as everyone else and kept winning everything for a solid decade

the second I heard the words "participation trophies" the television went off

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Ah yes, but you see, I don't want to be inconvenienced just because it might save somebody's life.

Not that this station necessarily had names for callers, but I am all for newspapers and TV stations printing the names of people that call/write in with absolutely terrible opinions. These people need to be named and shamed for their idiocy.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Metapod posted:

Only in this case the guy in the video used to work in Tulsa, and now works in Virginia, and was telling the idiots in Virginia who wrote into his station that they shouldn't have done that (despite being required to by law), and then cited examples of stuff he's seen.

But otherwise, wholly agreed, Tulsa is filled with idiots.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

from the video description

quote:

Flickinger was fired from his Tulsa job for breaking into broadcast and not waiting for commercial to inform viewers of dangerous wildfires.

:psyduck:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Metapod posted:

that happens everywhere. Like every market everywhere has done this.

Tulsa is fine. Love the fact that area has Brady Arts District and the promenade in BA.

iospace posted:

Only in this case the guy in the video used to work in Tulsa, and now works in Virginia, and was telling the idiots in Virginia who wrote into his station that they shouldn't have done that (despite being required to by law), and then cited examples of stuff he's seen.

But otherwise, wholly agreed, Tulsa is filled with idiots.

It's really not.

The really rural areas? Maybe. But Tulsa proper is fine. Surprisingly diverse and a fun city to live in.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Tulsa loving sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Metapod posted:

Tulsa loving sucks

You're from Oklahoma City and a Ravens fan.

Enough said.