Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

Having only really played the main story of the games, and even then skipping a couple of generations, what makes you say Nintendo cares about doubles only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Damanation posted:

Having only really played the main story of the games, and even then skipping a couple of generations, what makes you say Nintendo cares about doubles only?

Among fans, Singles is the premiere battle style

Among actual official tournaments it's doubles

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Damanation posted:

All of their official tournaments for the past decade or so have been Doubles format. Singles format isn't even a thing in that environment.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Not that I mind this talk, but I think we are due for a competitive Pokémon thread, if there isn't one already.

Davyinatoga
May 16, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

polysyllabic circumlocution.
This phrase is so quintessentially Radomus.

Not only does it define the way that he's written, but it feels exactly the kind of voice Radomus should have had, given a capable writer. That kind of paradoxical fabricated malapropism conveys nothing, yet everything; jumbled nonsense that's somehow still makes perfect sense in context.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

OgretailFood posted:

Who even is the champion anyway when Ame(game) is loving dead.

Edit: Oh right, I forgot that we went through this discussion before? Anyway, my bet is Radomus because obviously he brainwashed everyone into thinking he's a gym leader, and the obvious twist that Lin is the champion (because she's the best at everything she does or something?) is really obvious.

From several pages back, but my bet on the champion is Ame's dead body being used like a puppet by the Creepypasta Gymleader. It's dumb enough to fit.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

HardDiskD posted:

Not that I mind this talk, but I think we are due for a competitive Pokémon thread, if there isn't one already.

The Regular Pokemon thread in games will happily accept all competetive talk since there's not much to talk about Sword and Shield yet.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I agree, I'd much rather go back to discussing all the thrilling and high-quality content of waiting for Episode 19.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

PMush Perfect posted:

I agree, I'd much rather go back to discussing all the thrilling and high-quality content of waiting for Episode 19.

I mean, there's also the possibility of just letting the thread go dormant because the LP is done for now.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
I wonder if there's any interest in a general Pokémon romhack/fangame thread? Or if it could jus slot into the main thread as said above.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Charlie Bobson posted:

I wonder if there's any interest in a general Pokémon romhack/fangame thread? Or if it could jus slot into the main thread as said above.

I'd be down for one of those, for sure.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Magil of Shadow posted:

I'd be down for one of those, for sure.

:same:

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Charlie Bobson posted:

I wonder if there's any interest in a general Pokémon romhack/fangame thread?

:justpost:

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

Anyone think there is a chance the post game will involve going into the previous timeline and going through the tougher version of the league there?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Damanation posted:

Anyone think there is a chance the post game will involve going into the previous timeline and going through the tougher version of the league there?

The reason for the level 200 cap is so we can get booted back there and have to go through the entire game again with bigger numbers, allowing Reborn to be drawn out by another 19 episodes.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

The reason for the level 200 cap is so we can get booted back there and have to go through the entire game again with bigger numbers, allowing Reborn to be drawn out by another 19 episodes.

at which point we must go to a new timeline to find the Golden Ending, as done over anotehr 19 episodes and 100 additional levels

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

rannum posted:

at which point we must go to a new timeline to find the Golden Ending, as done over anotehr 19 episodes and 100 additional levels

And in indie (fan) game tradition, said golden ending will consist of telling us that the best ending was in fact, to not play pokemon reborn.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

With the decent number of pokemon fangames that are being/have been LPed, I certainly have developed some opinions and questions/ideas that it wouldn't be bad to have a place to talk about and be on topic.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Bravely Reborn

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mega64 posted:

Bravely Reborn

End Oney

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Fame Flies

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

NewMars posted:

And in indie (fan) game tradition, said golden ending will consist of telling us that the best ending was in fact, to not play pokemon reborn.

That only applies to games with some degree of self awareness and understanding of humour.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Mega64 posted:

Bravely Reborn

Instead of none of the antagonists telling you loving anything, they tell you waaay more than you ever wanted to know about them as soon as they make eye contact with you? :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Golden Reborn: Actually, everything you accomplished throughout the game was literally worse than useless! Now here's a dramatic moment that would be way more impactful if you didn't despise every single character involved!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Regalingualius posted:

Instead of none of the antagonists telling you loving anything, they tell you waaay more than you ever wanted to know about them as soon as they make eye contact with you? :v:
The characters in Reborn use a lot of :words: but how much do they ever really say?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Black Robe posted:

That only applies to games with some degree of self awareness and understanding of humour.

I'd say "That's never humorous at all." It's not funny to say "Why'd you waste your time?" when the purpose of games is to fill time and get some enjoyment out of it. It's showing a dislike/hatred of the player, and that is NEVER the mindset you should have when making things for others to enjoy.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Golden Reborn: Actually, everything you accomplished throughout the game was literally worse than useless! Now here's a dramatic moment that would be way more impactful if you didn't despise every single character involved!

What would be worse, your actions bringing about the end of everything in Reborn, or your actions being what starts the cycle anew?

Its restarting the cycle. The answer is clearly everything happening over and over and over and...

The end. No moral.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

PMush Perfect posted:

Unless I'm :thejoke: that's just Reborn Reborn.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Omnicrom posted:

Unless I'm :thejoke: that's just Reborn Reborn.
It's :thejoke:, Golden Sun is the Pokemon Reborn of JRPGs.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

PMush Perfect posted:

It's :thejoke:, Golden Sun is the Pokemon Reborn of JRPGs.
Eh, it's wordy and has a kinda dumb plot, but at least mechanically it's pretty sound, which puts it leagues above Reborn in terms of acually being a game.

It's me, I'm the guy who likes Golden Sun.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Golden Sun is bland, full of filler, tedious and overly wordy sometimes (all the time), but at least it never had people's real life deaths as part of it's story, whilst actively mocking them as well.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Does anyone have a link to the discord for the Goon Project that was mentioned a couple hundred pages ago?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

I like Golden sun, but I'd like it more if they didn't keep trying to get me to pay twice for a full game. (hey, it's pokemon-relevant!)

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Does anyone have a link to the discord for the Goon Project that was mentioned a couple hundred pages ago?

The invite to the one EclecticTastes mentioned is dead, but the original Discord server he made is still live. Maybe ask there?

Davyinatoga
May 16, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Compared to Reborn Golden, which lets you go on hot spring dates with your pokemon to unlock hidden abilities, and adds content involving a hip new emo babe that's secretly the discarded remnants of goodness that the Jirachi doll excised from itself to achieve perfection.

Wait, no, who am I kidding, that could only ever improve the game that idea's too good and pure to screw up as badly as everything else has in Reborn.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
You joke but a game where you run a pokespa could be super duper fun :3:

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

You joke but a game where you run a pokespa could be super duper fun :3:

Spirited Away's bathhouse/teahouse + Pokemon sounds like a fantastic game!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Chronische posted:

Spirited Away's bathhouse/teahouse + Pokemon sounds like a fantastic game!

Your parents have turned into spoink, hope they don't stop bouncing any time soon!

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
How dare anyone compare Golden Sun to Reborn.

Not even Dark dawn deserves that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

DeafNote posted:

How dare anyone compare Golden Sun to Reborn.

Not even Dark dawn deserves that.
Being compared to Pokemon Reborn is an affront to almost anything.