Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Nothing wrong with that, stamps of signatures have been accepted for decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Yeah, I took the 10 minutes or whatever it ended up taking to scan a copy of my signature, so anytime I get some poo poo pdf without an esign process I can just dump it on there with foxit. It’s great.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

you ate my cat posted:

A remarkable number of the documents that are signed by our partners are actually pdfs with a scan of the attorney's signature pasted onto them by their secretary. Like, probably most of them.

Bigass Moth posted:

Nothing wrong with that, stamps of signatures have been accepted for decades.
In theory, that is because you can verify the authenticity of the stamp impression: originally because you needed to spend a lot of money having the stamp made and latterly because you can forensically examine the wear pattern and match an impression to an original.

Kind of all goes out the window when to create your own perfect duplicate, you just need to use 'save as other' in Acrobat cause no-one bothered to even enable the basic security features of pdf.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

A quick google tells me they are legally enforceable, but I note most the of the top results are from parties with a vested interested in them (Docu-sign, Adobe).

Since I quickly became bored, I'm not sure if there's any case-law challenging the validity of electronic sigs (to be clear I mean electronic reproductions of a physical sig, not a cryptographic signature).

stevewm
May 10, 2005
This always makes me feel safe and secure....

Our credit card processing gateway, run by one of the largest players in the card terminal market, Verifone, is still using untrusted Symantec certificates.

Guess I shouldn't be surprised. They only recently made the website work with browsers other than IE.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I got contacted this weekend by one of the headhunters I used two years ago saying he had a job i might be interested in so I went back to their website to update my resume and couldn't remember my PW/UID so I asked for a reset. They e-mailed me my password in plaintext. Thanks, I guess.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Pissing me off: one of two or three people on the team that I actually respect is apparently graded 3 levels below "senior engineer" and 1 level above "new graduate", which we literally don't even hire on my team.

Also pissing me off: in order to get promoted to "senior" I apparently have to have "industry-wide impact" despite the fact that the people who currently hold the title on the team are actual driftwood who don't even have team-wide impact.

To the interviewmobile!

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Comradephate posted:

Also pissing me off: in order to get promoted to "senior" I apparently have to have "industry-wide impact" despite the fact that the people who currently hold the title on the team are actual driftwood who don't even have team-wide impact.

Maybe they broke DNS previously?

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Actuarial Fables posted:

Maybe they broke DNS previously?

The team isn't old enough to have any veteran hangers-on from a bygone era. Nobody on it has been at the company more than 2 years, because the previous SRE team was 2 people and they both quit at the same time after months of being overworked.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Comradephate posted:

Pissing me off: one of two or three people on the team that I actually respect is apparently graded 3 levels below "senior engineer" and 1 level above "new graduate", which we literally don't even hire on my team.

To the interviewmobile!

My team used to have 3 Sr Developers on it. Only one of the people truly deserved it and he quit, and the person who got promoted the position certainly didn't deserve it, and all of those positions have been moved to other teams so now we officially have 0 Sr Devs(when someone on my team moves to another tram their position goes with them and doesn't get the hole in our team filled. This has caused the team to be about 50% of its size 2 years ago, but with more work to do).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Unless you're in the business of selling yourselves like you're a consultancy or just fishing for Gartner recognition, why is 'industry-wide impact' even a relevant metric? Also you could get it by sending suspicious packages to Oracle and the industry would probably thank you, but it doesn't sound like that's what they are after.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
poo poo pissing me off: My current job, the culture here is so hosed up it's hard to describe.

poo poo not pissing me off: Managed to land 3 interviews in 2 weeks without too much effort so hopefully one of those pans out.

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008

Bigass Moth posted:

Its 2019, if you make me print something out, sign it, scan it and email it back to you instead of doing electronic signature then gently caress you.

This is my hell. I have digitized forms, I've made them with google sheets, I've used Zapier to create a timestamped process flow. I have shown the powers that be that each form costs almost $1.5 after all the printing and scanning is complete. Then I showed them the thousands of IT Requests that I've done so far this year and apply the cost there.

Doesn't matter. I'm "bad with paperwork". The work is done. Digital versions already exist, you just wont use them. :fuckoff:

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Thanks Ants posted:

Unless you're in the business of selling yourselves like you're a consultancy or just fishing for Gartner recognition, why is 'industry-wide impact' even a relevant metric? Also you could get it by sending suspicious packages to Oracle and the industry would probably thank you, but it doesn't sound like that's what they are after.

At some point in the technical ladder, it is reasonable to expect people to have an impact outside of the company, be it speaking at conferences, or contributing significantly to open-source, or shepherding their own internal projects into the open source world.

But I would expect that from a distinguished engineer-level person, and we literally do not employ a single person at that level, before even beginning to touch on the obvious disparity between the expectations set when hiring vs. the expectations set when promoting. I would have an easier time getting senior if I just quit, applied again, interviewed for my old job, and asked for more money.

The traditional silicon valley technical ladder goes something like:

SDE 1/2: team or task-level impact
Senior/Staff: team-level impact, mentors juniors
Principal: impact outside of the team
Distinguished: company-wide or industry-wide impact
Fellow: A wizard?

Sprechensiesexy posted:

poo poo pissing me off: My current job, the culture here is so hosed up it's hard to describe.

poo poo not pissing me off: Managed to land 3 interviews in 2 weeks without too much effort so hopefully one of those pans out.

ayy, congrats! I have a couple in progress as well. :yotj: for both of us, hopefully.

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 20, 2019

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Thanks Ants posted:

The best part is when they ask for this, but don't actually budget for any education, seminars, conventions, etc.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You're meant to just have a blog and then become some sort of superhero

Edit for things that piss you off: If I reboot something network related in a cloud management platform, maybe don't then send me an alert when you notice it's gone down. How hard would it be to send the reboot command and then ignore the state for ten minutes or so.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 20, 2019

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
why are only Office documents on network shares and of the latest format opening slowly and responding to right-clicks slowly but work fine if I put them on a Windows server in the same office and open them through \\c$ , why is google not helping me despite tons of similar sounding issues, and why am I troubleshooting this poo poo this isn't my job description

:argh:

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Our Hyper-V cluster that hosts the majority of our production systems went down about two weeks ago due to intermittent network issues that we still are trying to get to the bottom of. It's a loving shitshow here.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Weaponized Autism posted:

Our Hyper-V cluster that hosts the majority of our production systems went down about two weeks ago due to intermittent network issues that we still are trying to get to the bottom of. It's a loving shitshow here.

DNS.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I hope you guys have called Microsoft. Even the per-incident rate for this is way cheaper than 2 weeks of downtime, and the support engineers are often really good.

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

why are only Office documents on network shares and of the latest format opening slowly and responding to right-clicks slowly but work fine if I put them on a Windows server in the same office and open them through \\c$ , why is google not helping me despite tons of similar sounding issues, and why am I troubleshooting this poo poo this isn't my job description

:argh:

Check your A/V client. May be scanning the file as it brings it over to the client.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comradephate posted:

ayy, congrats! I have a couple in progress as well. :yotj: for both of us, hopefully.

Good luck. A 4th one came in for me, applied as a long shot as the position is more cloud/network security based than what I do now (traditional network engineering) but they replied in a day with a request for a phone interview.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I've got some young dudes working in my warehouse and I overheard one of them say something along the lines of 'back in my senior year' and I said, "When was that, last week?"

He answered, "No, I graduated in 2015. When did you graduate? I told him and then added on that I grew up back in the good old days when the space shuttle was still flying and you only had to worry about the Soviet Union.

He says, "What's the Soviet Union?"

:eng99:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
It’s that huge country that stretches from Arabia to the Orient! :corsair:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Marketing and Planning teams won’t talk to me for weeks when I reject any outrageous bs requests. I know they have been treating devs like personal slaves in other companies, but not when I’m here :commissar:

I work pretty much everything related to backend btw. Infra, architecture/design, development, distribution, maintenance and whatnot. Korea btw.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Good luck. A 4th one came in for me, applied as a long shot as the position is more cloud/network security based than what I do now (traditional network engineering) but they replied in a day with a request for a phone interview.

Good luck, and good on you for making long-shot applications!

I've probably said this even in this thread before, but it's good and correct to apply for every job you want. It's the recruiter's job to filter you out if they don't think you're qualified.

I passed the phone screens for both companies I had in flight, and am doing the travel-booking rigamarole to head across the country two different times for onsites, so I am very excited, which I know makes me off-topic for this thread.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Nah, it's time for some YotJ energy in here again.

Gods I hope it's time for some YotJ energy.

I had a really good phone interview last week with my #1 choice, and waiting to hear back from them is killing me. Just ask me to come on-site for an interview, already.

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.

Scaramouche posted:

Ugh integration testing.

(front end, API bridge, 3PL warehouse, AS/400, and EDI provider)

Kinda old post, but this totally sounds like a project for the company I work for.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Nah, it's time for some YotJ energy in here again.

Gods I hope it's time for some YotJ energy.

I had a really good phone interview last week with my #1 choice, and waiting to hear back from them is killing me. Just ask me to come on-site for an interview, already.

I've been going through a series of interviews at once place. Their interview process is a minimum of nine hours long (most of a work day on site and a bunch of remote poo poo). They aren't FAANG, the only reason they get away with it is that people let them. Including me. I wish I didn't want out of my current place because then I could have just told them, "That many hours of interviews, huh? Not interested for that reason alone." This is the time I wish we had more regulation and standards around our industry, so companies could have any vague idea at all of whether a candidate was worth anything before the interviews start.

Still, I need to make a change. Hopefully it goes well.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

I've got some young dudes working in my warehouse

Whoa

I have a young coworker who I find I have to explain what things are to. I knew that was coming and I’m fine with that - it’s the lack of historical context on things that bothers me .

Technological assumptions are made by taking foundational elements for granted without understanding their still active or still relevant origins - that’s not good in an industry that is built on layers of poo poo.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why do some people seem absolutely hell-bent on taking the path of most resistance? Spending days asking everybody except the team all those people are explicitly directing your query towards? Check. Wanting to buy almost anything except the one thing that is designed to solve your problem and has a proven track record of doing so? Check.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
A fax came in... It was a credit card scam, and one of our salespeople completely fell for it.

The scammer went so far as to register a domain name, setup a Gsuite account for email, and setup a website on WIX to try and legitimize their fake business.

They then sent a fax to one of our stores on somewhat convincing letterhead. However if you actually read the fax, it is in terribly broken English.

Every step of the process was nothing but red flags and gross violations of our internal polices, yet the sales guy took payment via emailed credit card numbers and ordered over $10k in merchandise. While he was attempting to arrange for the scammer to pick up the merchandise, he finally realized something might be wrong when he couldn't get them on the phone. It had already be going on for a month at this point. The scammer was adamant they wanted to move quickly, but the vendor had difficulty in delivering that much of the item on short notice.

Sales guy finally spoke up to management, and within hours of him admitting he hosed up, the charge backs came in. Of course they where stolen credit card numbers...

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Thanks Ants posted:

Why do some people seem absolutely hell-bent on taking the path of most resistance? Spending days asking everybody except the team all those people are explicitly directing your query towards? Check. Wanting to buy almost anything except the one thing that is designed to solve your problem and has a proven track record of doing so? Check.

"I've been trying to get this done for ages, but no one's been able to help me find the solution! It's not my fault I've done no work all week!"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

stevewm posted:

A fax came in... It was a credit card scam, and one of our salespeople completely fell for it.

The scammer went so far as to register a domain name, setup a Gsuite account for email, and setup a website on WIX to try and legitimize their fake business.

They then sent a fax to one of our stores on somewhat convincing letterhead. However if you actually read the fax, it is in terribly broken English.

Every step of the process was nothing but red flags and gross violations of our internal polices, yet the sales guy took payment via emailed credit card numbers and ordered over $10k in merchandise. While he was attempting to arrange for the scammer to pick up the merchandise, he finally realized something might be wrong when he couldn't get them on the phone. It had already be going on for a month at this point. The scammer was adamant they wanted to move quickly, but the vendor had difficulty in delivering that much of the item on short notice.

Sales guy finally spoke up to management, and within hours of him admitting he hosed up, the charge backs came in. Of course they where stolen credit card numbers...

We just had this happen, except via email. No attempt was made to reach them verbally by phone, and such a large amount of product that it was obvious something wasn't right.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I spent an hour on the phone yesterday with a 'senior analyst' telling them how their batch script worked and having to step them through exactly where it puts what outputs.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

We just had this happen, except via email. No attempt was made to reach them verbally by phone, and such a large amount of product that it was obvious something wasn't right.

Yeah, the fax was a new one.. We don't publish our emails anywhere, only clients know what they are. So I am guessing this is why they started with a fax.

Their fake website has a 888 toll-free number. But it goes to a voice mail box.

Here is the kicker though... The scammer eventually gave the sales guy a address in a nearby city.. The sales guy decides to go there, just to drop by and introduce himself. He finds the building is blocked off for renovation. This STILL did not set off any red flags! He continued to email the scammer.

The guy has been going back and forth with the scammer for almost a month now via email. More and more details just keep coming out and its all terrible. He was preparing all kinds of quotes for the scammer for various things.

I will be really surprised if this dude isn't fired by the end of the week.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why wait that long?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
If it was my decision I would have already have done it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
We're playing the compliance director's favorite game today:

:byodame:Director bastard, please make me a cake

Here's your cake

:byodame:No, I needed it with pink frosting

Here's your cake with pink frosting

:byodame:No, I needed it with pink frosting and round

Here's your round cake with pink frosting

:byodame:No, not that shade of pink! Can you also add sprinkles?

Here's your goddamned cake

:byodame:Did you make it gluten free???