Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Now I'm picturing Hannibal getting along splendidly with Frasier.

Oh baby I hear Bach's variations calling
Clarice can you hear the lambs
They're screaming again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I can see King also not liking Kubrick's Shining because its fundamentally a lot bleaker; in the book the main villain is the Overlook Hotel, in the movie its Jack.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Saw John Wick 3 tonight, and basically there is nothing subtle about that movie. I did enjoy that it kicks off about 20 mins after the last movie ended, so basically he's been killing people for like a week straight and is tired as hell, but still kicking 9 shades of rear end. Apparently John does a shitton of cardio.

Only downside to the movie is that I might not get the 4k version cause... gently caress this movie is brutal.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cat Hatter posted:

I'd heard that the final chapter was omitted in American versions of the book and would have been included in the movie otherwise.

Why does literally every story about Kubrick have multiple versions?

In this case they're both at least partially true. Kubrick was given the UK edition to read, but chose to adapt the US edition instead. Burgess disagreed; although he thought the movie was brilliant, he also felt that leaving out the last chapter - where Alex comes to his senses and eschews violence - was potentially dangerous. Then there were a couple of copycat attacks, the moral outrage crowd hit the streets over the movie's promotion of violence and Kubrick let Burgess take the flak for it.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Man, what I would give to dimension-hop and watch each of the Nicholas Roeg, John Boorman, Tinto Brass, Ken Russell etc -directed Clockwork Oranges adaptations. One attempt was going to star Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

ynohtna posted:

Man, what I would give to dimension-hop and watch each of the Nicholas Roeg, John Boorman, Tinto Brass, Ken Russell etc -directed Clockwork Oranges adaptations. One attempt was going to star Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones.

Like, Mick was going to play Alex and Kieth Richards, Charlie Watts, etc. were going to play his gang? I'd watch that.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Hatter posted:

Like, Mick was going to play Alex and Kieth Richards, Charlie Watts, etc. were going to play his gang? I'd watch that.

They should totally make this film now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Now I'm picturing Hannibal getting along splendidly with Frasier.

Iirc King has a mixed relationship with adaptations, makes sense since there's been so many of them. With The Mist his reaction was basically 'why didn't I think of that?'

Ending aside, obviously, but Frank Darabont was somehow able to perfectly bring that story from page to screen. Like, it's incredible and maybe it's just a coincidence, but wow, that movie was exactly what I pictured when reading the story.

Frank Darabont should take on The Jaunt, and he's the only one who I would 100% trust with it. The Jaunt needs to be adapted.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Only downside to the movie is that I might not get the 4k version cause... gently caress this movie is brutal.

Seriously this one definitely seemed to have more "make you squirm in your seat" uncomfortable scenes than the other two.

Still fantastic regardless.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Does anyone know what King thinks of the new Pet Sematary? Because they really blew it on the ending, which is one of King’s few good ones.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ending aside, obviously, but Frank Darabont was somehow able to perfectly bring that story from page to screen. Like, it's incredible and maybe it's just a coincidence, but wow, that movie was exactly what I pictured when reading the story.

Frank Darabont should take on The Jaunt, and he's the only one who I would 100% trust with it. The Jaunt needs to be adapted.

It’s an excellent story, but you’d have to think up a realistic way for the kid to duck the meds. There’s no way they’d just trust you to take them without monitoring the poo poo out of you.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Torquemada posted:

It’s an excellent story, but you’d have to think up a realistic way for the kid to duck the meds. There’s no way they’d just trust you to take them without monitoring the poo poo out of you.

I think it'd make a better short film. Something like 30-ish minutes. It's so compact and good, it doesn't need elaborating.

To date, it's the only King story that just fucks with my mind the more I think about it. I mean.... it's one thing to go through the gate awake, but it's a different thing entirely to go through one set to 'null'. And that dude didn't get charged for murder, since 'technically, his wife is still alive.... somewhere'.

Jesus christ :psyduck: :wtc:

Goddamn, it's so good. I think my love of The Jaunt is why I love Black Mirror's 'White Christmas' so much.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'd definitely watch 30 minute adaptations of King short stories as a series on Netflix. That's always where the gold was buried.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I'm not sure how you adapt the Jaunt into a feature length movie without adding a whole lot to it. Because really the entire story is the father explaining the Jaunt process to his kid, then they wake up after they Jaunt and that's the ending.

Doesn't mean it can't be done though, for instance From Beyond is technically based on a Lovecraft story but the movie covers the entire story before the opening credits and the rest is just elaboration by Gordon.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm thinking Stephen King could successfully bring back Creepshow as a streaming miniseries.

Now I want to watch Tales from the Crypt again.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Cat Hatter posted:

Yep! I think Jagger owned the rights to it for a while, and wanted The Beatles to do the music. :monocle:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'm thinking Stephen King could successfully bring back Creepshow as a streaming miniseries.

Oh my god, please... PLEASE. Creepshow was just so good. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it lacked the Crypt Keeper. Maybe both series could amalgamate, or King could just write for TftC.

Either way, I need a horror anthology series :negative:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

ynohtna posted:

Yep! I think Jagger owned the rights to it for a while, and wanted The Beatles to do the music. :monocle:

I'm still a little disappointed we'll never get the version of Fitzcarraldo with Jagger as the bumbling assistant.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The best thing about this extended Thomas Harris/Hannibal Lecter discussion is everyone not even mentioning Hannibal Rising, a movie that somehow manages to be both completely terrible and forgettable

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Blast Fantasto posted:

The best thing about this extended Thomas Harris/Hannibal Lecter discussion is everyone not even mentioning Hannibal Rising, a movie that somehow manages to be both completely terrible and forgettable

Thus endeth an era.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Hannibal t.v. show tried to glean some stuff from Hannibal Rising but even they failed to make any of that poo poo worthwhile or interesting.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I liked how the Hannibal tv show looked. Bryan Fuller convinced me he had a visual style I liked, which is one of the reasons I was willing to give American Gods a chance. Shame he left that show too.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Blast Fantasto posted:

I mean i saw it in the theater and made an effort to forget it basically while I was watching it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dino DeLaurentis just openly admitted he coerced Harris into writing it or he'd have someone else do it.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

I liked how the Hannibal tv show looked. Bryan Fuller convinced me he had a visual style I liked, which is one of the reasons I was willing to give American Gods a chance. Shame he left that show too.

The sound design was also incredible. It’s one of the few shows to give your sub a workout, and the ambiance is phenomenal.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'd definitely watch 30 minute adaptations of King short stories as a series on Netflix. That's always where the gold was buried.

They kind of did, with mixed results

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's a really good idea nd I'm honestly surprised it hasn't happened.

Apparently, The Long Walk is finally getting made.

https://deadline.com/2019/05/stephen-king-the-long-walk-new-line-movie-andre-ovredal-directing-1202620157/

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I liked 'The End of the Whole Mess', I think that one had Ron Livingston. 'Crouch End' was hilaaariously bad though, trying to pass off a California suburb as London.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

HopperUK posted:

I liked 'The End of the Whole Mess', I think that one had Ron Livingston. 'Crouch End' was hilaaariously bad though, trying to pass off a California suburb as London.

The only episode of the show I ever heard anything about was from a guy in my grade who was "a big fan" of Lovecraft but never actually read anything. He thought the episode was fantastic and really really good

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I remember liking the story that's ones adapted from. The two vampire stories and the finger are probably the best stories in that collection though.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Fuller is weird to me. I love his style, but I didn't like how much he changed Star Trek for Discovery, rather than simply changing the setting of the time. I also didn't like how he jumped ship to work on American Gods, and then jumped ship from that to work on the Anne Rice series.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

HopperUK posted:

I thought that was filmed in Australia?

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

Baron von Eevl posted:

I remember liking the story that's ones adapted from. The two vampire stories and the finger are probably the best stories in that collection though.

The finger story was an episode of Monsters and pretty good.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

That's a really good idea nd I'm honestly surprised it hasn't happened.

Apparently, The Long Walk is finally getting made.

https://deadline.com/2019/05/stephen-king-the-long-walk-new-line-movie-andre-ovredal-directing-1202620157/
That's a good one, and a weird one. I always liked the five Bachman books that exist. :colbert:

Rage could make a poignant movie but man no one's gonna touch it with a ten foot pole and King's never gonna license it. I'd like to see someone redo Running Man, too. You could easily apply its manhunt theme to social media harrassment. If I ever come into movie production cash I'm funding that, under the condition that it keeps the ending.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

can you please also remake the dark tower and give roland a gun thats actually big instead of a tiny normal revolver

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

roland can load his gun in the blink of an eye because it and the bullets are very small

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm glad amazon are taking a run at a show as that makes more sense but Elba owns as to land so it's a shame that casting is lost. Bardem would own also

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
The Dark Tower was astonishingly bland for like, 95% of its runtime but the fight between him and McConaughey at the end was worth the wait imho.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If I'm gonna produce a Dark Tower do-over I'm gonna need like MCU levels of cash cause I'd obviously need to build up to it with a whole shared universe, or it isn't The Dark Tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The dark tower was the first king books I read and I likedthem a lot