Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

"Francis Scott Key"

"gently caress his whore of a mother"

Gets me every time. Stupendous writeup of an okay episode (hell, the worst Sopranos is better than the best almost anything else). Too many fades to black but goddrat if the Peter Gunn/Every Breath You Take isn't an inspired use of music (again, that is standard for this particular show but it really stands out).

If rewatching this show had a drinking game, taking a drink for every product placement would get you the warm and fuzzies.

"Hey, he's got the Black & Decker! I got one of those!"

Take a drink everyone time someone is eating.

Watching this show used to make me so hungry. I think there was even a Sopranos cookbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

BiggerBoat posted:

Take a drink everyone time someone is eating.

Watching this show used to make me so hungry. I think there was even a Sopranos cookbook.

There is, I have it! It’s pretty entertaining. The recipes are useful if you don’t really cook a lot, as they’re quite basic. It’s written as if Artie is writing his own cookbook, and asking all his Italian friends for their own recipes. Whoever oversaw the writing did a great job, because the interviews and asides are a very creditable impression of the show’s characters.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Torquemada posted:

There is, I have it! It’s pretty entertaining. The recipes are useful if you don’t really cook a lot, as they’re quite basic. It’s written as if Artie is writing his own cookbook, and asking all his Italian friends for their own recipes. Whoever oversaw the writing did a great job, because the interviews and asides are a very creditable impression of the show’s characters.

Curious if there's one for tripe.

Or back yard rabbit.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Torquemada posted:

What's Tony's recipe, "Rolled-up cold cuts?"

I was looking it up on Amazon and found that the cookbook got a sequel of sorts in Carmella's guide to being a good hostess.

Speaking of weird tangential Sopranos material, who's going to play the "Road to Respect" PS2 game and give us the synopsis?

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

JethroMcB posted:

Speaking of weird tangential Sopranos material, who's going to play the "Road to Respect" PS2 game and give us the synopsis?

Only if they have PlayStation 2 right in my hotel room.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JethroMcB posted:

Isn't the synopsis it's really bad?

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
It can’t be a real sopranos cookbook without Lincoln Log Sandwiches :colbert:

I heard the video game sucks on account of it’s completely on rails with a pre defined narrative- you’re essentially playing a story with predetermined beats which doesn’t really work for a video game. Compared to open world game offerings coming out around the same time there’s no way it could stack up against them.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

TIL "Marone" means "Madonna" (the Virgin Mary) . I bought some marron glace (candied chestnuts) from the Italian store a while ago- they are expensive and loving delicious and whenever they said that, I always thought of those :yum:

I think it's another Italian-American dropped vowel word, like mozzarell', ricott', etc.

Madonn'!

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Ishamael posted:

I think it's another Italian-American dropped vowel word, like mozzarell', ricott', etc.

Madonn'!

Gabagool? Over here!

Safety Mole
May 6, 2019

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

I heard the video game sucks on account of it’s completely on rails with a pre defined narrative- you’re essentially playing a story with predetermined beats which doesn’t really work for a video game. Compared to open world game offerings coming out around the same time there’s no way it could stack up against them.

theres an attack you can do called "Stugots In A Vice"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vichan posted:

Gabagool? Over here!

I always wondered how we got that from capicola.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Dawgstar posted:

I always wondered how we got that from capicola.

Apparently its because they're all descended from dirty southerners.

quote:

Dan Nosowitz on Atlas Obscura did a deep dive on the origin of the gabagool phenomenon in his fantastic piece, How Capicola Became Gabagool: The Italian New Jersey Accent, Explained. After researching with some linguistics experts, Nosowitz discovered that, like the botched American estimations of Italian culture such as meatballs, baked ziti, or whatever Olive Garden is pretending to be, the word "gabagool" is about as Italian as apple pie.
According to Nosowitz's research, many Italians in the United States descend from Southern Italians, "about 80 percent," in fact. If you know anything about Italy, you’re probably aware that the dialects of the various regions within the country are all vastly different. Similarly, the Italian language that arrived in America back in the time of the great emigration is much different than the Italian language of today.
What we hear in places like Jersey, Staten Island, and New York is actually the result of former immigrants hanging on to their native dialect, and passing elements of that down through generations of Americans who may not even have a clue what the actual contemporary Italian language sounds like today. In the case of gabagool, it's a combination of end vowels being deleted, "oh" sounds being raised, and what linguists call "voiceless consonants," namely "k" and "c" sounds, being turned into "voiced" consonants, which, in this case, amounts to "g" sounds.

widunder
May 2, 2002

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

It can’t be a real sopranos cookbook without Lincoln Log Sandwiches :colbert:

Paulie looks a whole lot like Ray Liotta.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
I’m going to ‘an evening with’ Christopher, Bobby and Pussy on Sunday :) gonna be nice to hear stories from characters from my favourite show of all time!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MrBling posted:

Apparently its because they're all descended from dirty southerners.

That was a neat read!

I will however hear no words against baked ziti.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I remember Ishamael posted an amazing baked ziti recipe many, many years back. It ended up costing like $40 or more for all the ingredients, but it was the best ziti I've ever had.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

escape artist posted:

I remember Ishamael posted an amazing baked ziti recipe many, many years back. It ended up costing like $40 or more for all the ingredients, but it was the best ziti I've ever had.

Not so terrible if you get 5 or 6 meals out of it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Not so terrible if you get 5 or 6 meals out of it.

Unless Father Intintola comes over to slip your wife a cracker.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

escape artist posted:

Woo! My old ziti recipe, that was a fun one. I have changed the way I do it since then (a bit) but it still makes a good ziti.

http://goonswithspoons.com/Baked_Ziti

(Holy crap I posted this in 2010)

EDIT: man, I sure was not specific with amounts. The "big cans" of tomatoes are 28 oz., the "small can" of paste is 6 oz. The large ricotta is 15 oz. A "package" of shredded mozzarella is probably 8 oz. but buy extra because you never want to skimp on the cheese.

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 23, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

pentyne posted:

Such a schnorrer.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Ishamael posted:

Woo! My old ziti recipe, that was a fun one. I have changed the way I do it since then (a bit) but it still makes a good ziti.

http://goonswithspoons.com/Baked_Ziti

(Holy crap I posted this in 2010)

EDIT: man, I sure was not specific with amounts. The "big cans" of tomatoes are 28 oz., the "small can" of paste is 6 oz. The large ricotta is 15 oz. A "package" of shredded mozzarella is probably 8 oz. but buy extra because you never want to skimp on the cheese.

Oh maron, my nonna would be spinning in her grave that you're making meatballs with only beef. You need a little ground pork or even veal added in there. Other than that, she might object to Hunt's brand but otherwise its a solid recipe to me.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

pentyne posted:

You’re verging on sacrilege! :mad:

Oh I didn’t mean to verge :jerkbag:

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011

Mahoning posted:

Oh maron, my nonna would be spinning in her grave that you're making meatballs with only beef. You need a little ground pork or even veal added in there. Other than that, she might object to Hunt's brand but otherwise its a solid recipe to me.

While we're at it pre shredded cheese is sketchy as it's often covered in starch to avoid sticking together.

Just watched the episode where Tony kills Ralphie, gotta be one of my favorites. I forgot how good the earlier seasons are. I think the show starts going downhill (but still good) when Steve Buscemi arrives.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Ornithology posted:

While we're at it pre shredded cheese is sketchy as it's often covered in starch to avoid sticking together.

Just watched the episode where Tony kills Ralphie, gotta be one of my favorites. I forgot how good the earlier seasons are. I think the show starts going downhill (but still good) when Steve Buscemi arrives.

I like the pre-shredded better for this, fresh mozz is amazing but I prefer the low moisture for ziti because the fresh makes everything too wet.

Mahoning posted:

True, it's hard to beat a mixed meat meatball, but honestly I usually just do beef for ease of shopping. I agree on the Hunt's though, I now use the Cento San Marzano or the Bianco DiNapoli if I can get them.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The beauty of living in an area with a TON of Italian Americans is that there's a little Italian market down the street from me that sells premixed meatball mix, so all I've got to do is form them and cook them. They sell out of their meatball mix nearly every single day, it's that good.

My other big suggestion would be to just bake the meatballs on a sheet in the oven, then when they're done, be sure to dump all of the meatballs AND every bit of fat that leaked out of them AND all of the crusty bits that stick to the cooking sheet into the sauce and let that simmer for a good while.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I also count myself fortunate that even down here in Elvis Country some Italian-Americans opened up a pizzeria not two blocks from my house. It's not the best pizza in town, but it's close and everything they make is amazing. Especially their garlic knots and calzone.

Oh, Paulie was right. We did eat putsi before they gave us the gift of their cuisine.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Mahoning posted:

The beauty of living in an area with a TON of Italian Americans is that there's a little Italian market down the street from me that sells premixed meatball mix, so all I've got to do is form them and cook them. They sell out of their meatball mix nearly every single day, it's that good.

My other big suggestion would be to just bake the meatballs on a sheet in the oven, then when they're done, be sure to dump all of the meatballs AND every bit of fat that leaked out of them AND all of the crusty bits that stick to the cooking sheet into the sauce and let that simmer for a good while.

Gotta get that fond.

PS Mail me that meatball mix, asap

send me your balls

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

I also count myself fortunate that even down here in Elvis Country some Italian-Americans opened up a pizzeria not two blocks from my house. It's not the best pizza in town, but it's close and everything they make is amazing. Especially their garlic knots and calzone.

Oh, Paulie was right. We did eat putsi before they gave us the gift of their cuisine.

Did you know an Italian invented the telephone too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFSDDVO4HaU

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Ornithology posted:

Just watched the episode where Tony kills Ralphie, gotta be one of my favorites.

Rewatched this recently too. I love the weird vibe when the cleanup is happening, and how it turns into this terrible bonding experience between Chris and Tony. Just these two guys alone together performing this methodical dismemberment in a quiet suburban house.

It's just like when Chris starts falling off the wagon after they steal the wine from the Wipers. He reminisces about how he ratted out Adriana and sees it as a positive thing, because Tony sent Sil to kill her instead of making him do it. The psychology in this show is loving terrific.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

escape artist posted:

Did you make Bobby eat it?

talktapes posted:

Rewatched this recently too. I love the weird vibe when the cleanup is happening, and how it turns into this terrible bonding experience between Chris and Tony. Just these two guys alone together performing this methodical dismemberment in a quiet suburban house.

It's just like when Chris starts falling off the wagon after they steal the wine from the Wipers. He reminisces about how he ratted out Adriana and sees it as a positive thing, because Tony sent Sil to kill her instead of making him do it. The psychology in this show is loving terrific.

And Chris shows up half high for that job and even cops to it.

Tony is totally oblivious to his role in aiding and openly encouraging Chris to fall off the wagon - aggressively so really - and then later kills him as a "mercy killing" or "murder of convenience", however one reads that. It's shown that Tony is "oh so concerned" about the absent baby in the car seat but, to me, we know by then he was mainly and always concerned about himself, even if he fails to realize it. Throughout the show were shown him arguing that he's providing for his family and how much everyone else is loving his poo poo up and pushing his buttons but he's ultimately selfish and totally doing it all for himself. Sociopath.

Chris was struggling and slipping anyway but the wine heist and subsequent bonding element with Tony was a textbook example of enabling, manipulation, self centeredness and just one more example of Tony's toxicity bringing nothing but pain and death to everything he interacts with through his insatiable selfishness, which really culminated with AJ's suicide attempt and the penultimate episode.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 24, 2019

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

Did you make Bobby eat it?

And Chris shows up half high for that job and even cops to it.

Tony is totally oblivious to his role in aiding and openly encouraging Chris to fall off the wagon - aggressively so really - and then later kills him as a "mercy killing" or "murder of convenience", however one reads that. It's shown that Tony is "oh so concerned" about the absent baby in the car seat but, to me, we know by then he was mainly and always concerned about himself, even if he fails to realize it. Throughout the show were shown him arguing that he's providing for his family and how much everyone else is loving his poo poo up and pushing his buttons but he's ultimately selfish and totally doing it all for himself. Sociopath.

Chris was struggling and slipping anyway but the wine heist and subsequent bonding element with Tony was a textbook example of enabling, manipulation, self centeredness and just one more example of Tony's toxicity bringing nothing but pain and death to everything he interacts with through his insatiable selfishness, which really culminated with AJ's suicide attempt and the penultimate episode.

Chris was inevitably going to get pinched for drugs and probably would have eventually ratted out Tony over it. Tony tried to rationalize it as something other than that to himself like he does with all of his murders but he deep down he killed Chris because he feared his weakness would eventually cause him to flip.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think it's more crass than that. He killed Chris because he was mad at him and he just didn't like him anymore. Tony's so far gone at that point.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

No Wave posted:

I think it's more crass than that. He killed Chris because he was mad at him and he just didn't like him anymore. Tony's so far gone at that point.

It solved a ton of problems all at once though. Chris had more dirt on Tony then everyone else combined and was one bad arrest away from being able to not only tie up Tony with the Feds but then implicate Tony in killing Ralphie and Ritchie, which would've caused major inter-family problems beyond worrying about a "rat".

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

One of my favorite callbacks.

"It's a retirement community!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gyncMcVkCE

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Ishamael posted:

One of my favorite callbacks.

"It's a retirement community!"

Probably my favourite running joke because it illustrates Tony's shifting opinions about his mother's role in his life vs. his father's.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That last panel is loving incredible.

Second episode is taking some time to write up because there is so much going on with Tony's feelings regarding Livia's death to write about, in addition to all the stuff Janice brings to the party. In the meantime, any excuse to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQrQcAzMb8E

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Vichan posted:

Probably my favourite running joke because it illustrates Tony's shifting opinions about his mother's role in his life vs. his father's.

This, and "I/you/they go about in pity" in S6

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Jerusalem posted:

Second episode is taking some time to write up

William Goldman related how Alan J Pakula used to justify endless productivity from him by using the phrase “Don’t deprive me of any riches, Bill”.

You are Bill Goldman in this analogy.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

That last panel is loving incredible.

Second episode is taking some time to write up because there is so much going on with Tony's feelings regarding Livia's death to write about, in addition to all the stuff Janice brings to the party. In the meantime, any excuse to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQrQcAzMb8E

They'd have to get every living person in the same room to prove that, and then, what about the people who are already dead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Man Nancy Marchand was so loving good on this show.