Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I feel bad that Mark Hamill never had a chance beyond Star Wars and super hero cartoons. He’s so enthusiastic.

My favorite story is him emailing Kevin Smith from the set of The Last Jedi, asking if the Trickster will be in his episode of the Flash. He’s making millions playing Luke Skywalker, and he has some C List TV super villain on his mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mark Hamill’s Joker is a bit of a thing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

He's good in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAibJlPP5fo

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Pretty sure Hamill got Percent Gross rights from A New Hope and has said he basically has money to live off of and can pick and choose his projects.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I legit love Mark Hamill in Wing Commander III, and if I ever meet him, that’s probably the performance I’d bring up. That or The Joker.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 20, 2019

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

thrawn527 posted:

I legit love Mark Hamill in Wing Commander III, and if I ever me him, that’s probably the performance I’d bring up. That or The Joker.

Was that a direct to DVD sequel or a game?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Preston Waters posted:

Was that a direct to DVD sequel or a game?

Game. The first two games had semi animated cut scenes, but the third and fourth games had full on live action scenes with branching plot lines, and consequences for failed missions (if your wingman died on a mission, they stopped showing up in cut scenes). You could end the game by straight up dooming humanity if you hosed up enough.

The cast was a lot of fun, too. Mark Hamill, John Rhys-Davies, Malcolm McDowell, Tom Wilson, and a few other, “Hey, I know that guy!” actors. IV was only okay, but Wing Commander III is a god drat classic.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

thrawn527 posted:

Game. The first two games had semi animated cut scenes, but the third and fourth games had full on live action scenes with branching plot lines, and consequences for failed missions (if your wingman died on a mission, they stopped showing up in cut scenes). You could end the game by straight up dooming humanity if you hosed up enough.

The cast was a lot of fun, too. Mark Hamill, John Rhys-Davies, Malcolm McDowell, Tom Wilson, and a few other, “Hey, I know that guy!” actors. IV was only okay, but Wing Commander III is a god drat classic.

Yeah, IV is an odd duck, and it's an example of how lovely a project manager Chris Roberts is. He wanted to make movies, not games, so he blew $13 million on building a poo poo-ton of physical sets instead of the CGI ones they used for III, and also insisted on shooting on 35mm film as opposed to digital video. They also turned Tolwyn into Space Hitler, which was a heel turn out of nowhere.

The game was also a rush job, with them using basically the same engine from Wing III (which was itself adapted from Wing Commander Armada), because they couldn't afford much development work on it because Roberts pissed all his budget away on the movie portion.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I liked his voice acting in the first Yakuza game. A star studded cast, that was

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

Holy crap at that cast! I've never played any of the wing commander games. I assume you need a joystick for them?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Darth TNT posted:

Holy crap at that cast! I've never played any of the wing commander games. I assume you need a joystick for them?

You can mouse-and-keyboard them but I really, really would not recommend that.

They go for sale on GOG every few months. In addition to the cast members already mentioned, Wing III also has Jason Bernard, John Schuck (Klingon ambassador from Star Trek IV / VI), Tim Curry, Francois Chau, a very young Josh Lucas, and Ginger Lynn Allen.

Wing IV adds Richard Riehle, John Spencer, Mark Dacascos (ALLEZ CUISINE!), Chris Mulkey and Robert Rusler, who you might remember from the second season of Babylon 5.

They scaled back the budget with Wing Commander Prophecy (there's a part where Hamill's character is kidnapped by the aliens, the player character has a nightmare about him being tortured, and Hamill is just covered in Silly String--I poo poo you not), but Hamill, Wilson, Allen, Peter Jason, Mulkey and maybe one or two other actors from Wing III / IV return, I forget (Prophecy kind of sucks, honestly).

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Timby posted:

a very young Josh Lucas

That's right, I totally forgot Josh Lucas played Flash.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Mortanis posted:

Pretty sure Hamill got Percent Gross rights from A New Hope and has said he basically has money to live off of and can pick and choose his projects.

Lmao. I on the other hand, gaureentee he didn't.

He however, earn(ed) a shitton on residuals.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Wing Commander III owns and you can watch all the cutscenes spliced together on YouTube for all of the games.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, The Ultimate Preview

Vanity Fair article with some character info and Annie Lebowitz photos.

I love the caracter design on Keri Russel's Zorri Bliss and Naomi Ackie's Jannah. But it's not like these are production stills. Also, I'm assuming this doesn't mean Luke comes back from the dead or something, and is just Lebowitz taking a picture of him in costume, but he's really a Force Ghost in the movie?

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 22, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Based on what I’m reading I think that the shot of Luke is a flashback to the burning of the Jedi Academy

The weirdest thing I found from the article was this-

https://twitter.com/riri19911/status/1131190528782028800?s=21

I feel like this movie is going to be a mess

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

FlamingLiberal posted:

Based on what I’m reading I think that the shot of Luke is a flashback to the burning of the Jedi Academy

That doesn't work, though, because Luke had way different hair and beard length during the burning of the Jedi Academy. This is old man Luke.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The weirdest thing I found from the article was this-

https://twitter.com/riri19911/status/1131190528782028800?s=21

I feel like this movie is going to be a mess

I mean, I kinda thought in the trailer that yeah, he was attacking the Knights of Ren. He apparently turns against them at some point, or they turn against him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It sure feels like this movie has to pick up on whatever remaining plot threads still exist that Rian Johnson didn’t throw out the window in TLJ. Plus they are doing the timeskip.

They really should have just had one director or one person decide the plot for the entire trilogy since they have basically said that there was no plan and it shows

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

FlamingLiberal posted:

It sure feels like this movie has to pick up on whatever remaining plot threads still exist that Rian Johnson didn’t throw out the window in TLJ. Plus they are doing the timeskip.

What's the problem with a time skip? TLJ is the first Star Wars movie to NOT do a time skip. Three years passed between ANH and ESB, and one year passed between ESB and ROTJ. And that had a cliffhanger of "Find Han" to wrap up.

FlamingLiberal posted:

They really should have just had one director or one person decide the plot for the entire trilogy since they have basically said that there was no plan and it shows

This is true.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Didn't they say Sheev coming back was something that was planned from the outset?

fake edit: yep

quote:

“This has been in the blueprint for a long time, yeah. We had not landed on exactly how we might do that, but yes, it was always [to be in Episode IX],” Kennedy told Yahoo Entertainment’s Kevin Polowy.

youwantsomewang
Sep 2, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

That doesn't work, though, because Luke had way different hair and beard length during the burning of the Jedi Academy. This is old man Luke.

And old man Luke was never on Sneeze with R2 until Rey showed up in TLJ so maybe it's a flashback to TLJ which would be incredible purely for the stupestitude alone.

Not to mention this can't be Ghostluke either since he still has robo-hand.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I like how that entire vanity Fair article only mentions rose twice, both in past tense from TLJ

And her love interest replacement is another non-white person except this time a primitive using a bow and arrow. What if sexy Chewbacca but less developed , as a new character, I guess

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

youwantsomewang posted:

And old man Luke was never on Sneeze with R2 until Rey showed up in TLJ so maybe it's a flashback to TLJ which would be incredible purely for the stupestitude alone.

Not to mention this can't be Ghostluke either since he still has robo-hand.

Does he? I just see a glove. Which he could be wearing as a Force ghost, since he's also wearing other clothes.

mastershakeman posted:

And her love interest replacement is another non-white person except this time a primitive using a bow and arrow. What if sexy Chewbacca but less developed , as a new character, I guess

What a super weird take based on the fact that she's using a bow.

youwantsomewang
Sep 2, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Does he? I just see a glove. Which he could be wearing as a Force ghost, since he's also wearing other clothes.

Maybe you're right - ghost got cold and wore gloves beside the chilly fire.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Reminder that KF shoots do not always equal "canon film moment"

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
The Luke shot could very well just be a staged shot. It doesn't have to tie into any particular scene in the movie. Luke looks like his self when he died. So his appearance here would basically just be his Force Ghost self just not with the post-CGI wizardry.

A bit lol that we have yet another desert planet. Really thought they were going back to Jakku at least in this one.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Teek posted:

The Luke shot could very well just be a staged shot. It doesn't have to tie into any particular scene in the movie. Luke looks like his self when he died. So his appearance here would basically just be his Force Ghost self just not with the post-CGI wizardry.

Yeah, that's almost certainly what it is. Lebowitz visits the set and takes staged photos of everyone while they're in costume however she wants.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Finn gets a third love interest but the only one he's smashed was Phasma

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

Hopefully it's not his love interest, since she is rumored to be his sister. Not that it is too far out of Star Wars of course...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Teek posted:

A bit lol that we have yet another desert planet. Really thought they were going back to Jakku at least in this one.

I mean, with R2 and the burning background, plus the Knights of Ren being in the movie, makes it pretty likely that it's just a flashback to when Kylo burned his poo poo down.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

That's Luke's TFA/TLJ look, he looked younger/different in the destruction flashback.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I don’t have a problem with the timeskip. I feel like they had no choice since TLJ ends with the entire Resistance force being wiped out and the survivors only on the Falcon.

I do have a problem with them bringing back Palpatine again. Why? They pretty much did Palpatine again but dumber with Snoke. None of the living characters have any connection with Palpatine whatsoever unless there is a retcon of some kind.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Teek posted:

That's Luke's TFA/TLJ look, he looked younger/different in the destruction flashback.

Oh. Yuck.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Annoying how much time I guess all the sequels spend on flashbacks

Thrilled that the rise of skywalker refers to the person with the strongest claim to the name: Threepio

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Did Luke ever find out that C3PO was his and Leia's brother?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

That shot of Kylo and Rey dueling in the ocean is hype as gently caress tbh

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Ingmar terdman posted:

Annoying how much time I guess all the sequels spend on flashbacks

It's almost as if they should have started them at the actual inciting incident!

I can't imagine these films wouldn't feel more cohesive if the exact same set of events had occurred, but the first film was about Luke and Ben's falling out, the second one was about Luke having hidden away and Rey's quest to find him, and the third one was about Luke and/or his new apprentice facing down his greatest failure.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Cross-Section posted:

Didn't they say Sheev coming back was something that was planned from the outset?

quote:

“We had not landed on exactly how we might do that, but yes, it was always [to be in Episode IX],."

That's code for "We just made it up to get butts in seats over coffee last week."

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

What's the problem with a time skip? TLJ is the first Star Wars movie to NOT do a time skip. Three years passed between ANH and ESB, and one year passed between ESB and ROTJ. And that had a cliffhanger of "Find Han" to wrap up.
If anything, I'm annoyed that they're not skipping more time, because as it stands the sequel trilogy only takes place over the course of a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

I'm baffled by the idea that anyone thinks the 70s had a "sense of innocence" which is missing now. Like, I'm pretty sure the original Star Wars did, but it was considered an aberration at the time.

It's also weird that the people who make these movies now are afraid of it turning into Flash Gordon.

e: "the new movies aren’t like that. They’re not nostalgic. They don’t long for the past"